Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      70 (68.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      11 (10.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (7.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2018 07:22:49 pm

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26589 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Nov 03, 2018 10:58:04 pm
      Quote from grooveshark
      I think that the biggest worry that people have is that at some moment in time, results will catch up with performances.

The previous two games did a lot for the team in terms of confidence and I had hoped that a good amount of that would have carried into this game.

I don't think that the point is a bad result against the hottest team in the league, and away from home. I do not even mind that the initial games of the season were not impressive; this was to be expected. What concerns me is that most weeks defenders are the best players in the team, or the goalkeeper. It would be nice to have that safety at the back coupled with a midfield and attack that clicks.

We've scored an average of 2 goals per game, with a goal difference of +16. We're also unbeaten and top of the league. You would think we were down the bottom of the league the way some people go on.

I don't get all the negativity about the game either. It was a open, free flowing contest. VVD could have had a hat trick, we hit the post twice, robbed of a goal and a penalty by the ref, took a point home and went top of the league. We've played worse this season and won.

Don't think the Arsenal pen claim was a penalty on first viewing, but if it was, we can claim similar when VVD was cleaned out by the keeper when his header hit the post. Either it's a goal or a penalty, and we got neither. Ref is right in front of the incident ffs.

It's a good point. We'll beat them up at home next month. It's a sign of the times  when people are saying things about us, on the night we take a vital result away from home and go top of the league.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #553: Nov 03, 2018 10:59:50 pm
      Criminal how we left an open goal for them to score..

Criminal for forcing the player away from goal with his back to goal...
      It was a very well taken goal by Lacazette, simple as that. Can try pinning it on our defence or the keeper but 9/10, that shot doesn’t find the net.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #554: Nov 03, 2018 11:17:11 pm
      People not think our midfielders all same run lot power, but can't seem control game or give that killer pass to forwards l still think we need playmaker and other forward or give shaqi games more chance same with Daniel sturridge salah poor tonight should be take off in second half
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #555: Nov 03, 2018 11:18:47 pm
      One thing I've been mightily impressed with this season is our defensive line in offside situations. World class.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #556: Nov 03, 2018 11:43:21 pm
      The front three just haven’t been able to influence the game against the top sides this season - just hope it does start to click.

German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #557: Nov 03, 2018 11:52:06 pm
      I think we all agree that we are one playmaking midfielder away from being legit, even eye-to-eye with the current City. The problem only is: Do we trust Ox to do it, do we try Shaq on it or do we buy some fella (Fekir, Paqueta)?

What this point is worth we will see if Arsenal plays other top6 clubs.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #558: Nov 04, 2018 12:19:41 am
      People not think our midfielders all same run lot power, but can't seem control game or give that killer pass to forwards l still think we need playmaker and other forward or give shaqi games more chance same with Daniel sturridge salah poor tonight should be take off in second half

I'm not sure we need a playmaker, per se, rather that I think we're missing Chamberlain as he was at the back end of last season, a player that runs at defences from midfield and creates extra space for the forwards. The front three are not without blame though either, they are simply lacking the movement and fluidity we saw from them last year. I do agree though on seeing more of Shaq/Studge combo as substitutes but if you look at the pace of today's first half, there's no way Sturridge is keeping up with that. He's broken so many times his legs have gone.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #559: Nov 04, 2018 12:31:17 am
      at the end of the day a point is not bad and Arsenal are much better now than at the beginning of the season.
      What bothers me is our performances are still  disjointed and a bit hit and miss. We are stuttering through games and yet we are in a fantastic position so no need to panic just yet

:)
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #560: Nov 04, 2018 06:20:44 am
      We've scored an average of 2 goals per game, with a goal difference of +16. We're also unbeaten and top of the league. You would think we were down the bottom of the league the way some people go on.

I don't get all the negativity about the game either. It was a open, free flowing contest. VVD could have had a hat trick, we hit the post twice, robbed of a goal and a penalty by the ref, took a point home and went top of the league. We've played worse this season and won.

Don't think the Arsenal pen claim was a penalty on first viewing, but if it was, we can claim similar when VVD was cleaned out by the keeper when his header hit the post. Either it's a goal or a penalty, and we got neither. Ref is right in front of the incident ffs.

It's a good point. We'll beat them up at home next month. It's a sign of the times  when people are saying things about us, on the night we take a vital result away from home and go top of the league.
      A few months ago, before the start of the season, we were having this debate with a friend who is also a Liverpool fan and he told me that this team with Fabinho and Keita with that front three would not only be solid at the back, but also have the best attack in the league.

I remember telling him that there is a huge difference in how both teams approach games and how that manifests itself in clear cut chances. City press, but they also dominate possession, always looking to be positive and at the end, they get a lot of goals that are tap ins. Klopp on the other hand would rather sit and press, even cede possession and encourage teams to start at the back before pressing for a chance to counter. Most of the games this season have seen teams sitting back.

That belief that you see in City, Chelsea, Arsenal where they go out, have possession, throw bodies forward, take risks with the ball even when it comes to playing from the back is just lacking. It is hardly negativity on this game alone, it is a complaint that bar maybe four games all season, across all competitions, performances have not been good......leave alone talking about great.

I feel sorry for the manager especially when it comes to the midfield, but other than that, the team has not been positive most of the season. With Salah and Mane, you always have an out ball and that will always guarantee chances because of their sheer pace.

On this game, there were chances that were there for the taking, and the Mane goal should have counted. I do not think that the VVD chance and the clean out afterwards was a penalty, that is reaching. On the balance of play, Arsenal had their openings and their chances too. Mkhitaryan should have scored, Xhaka should have done better with that cute corner set up they ran, Aubameyang heading over in the first half, Lacazette not lifting the ball over a rushing Allison off a cut back. Mkhitaryan not having the presence of mind to cross to Aubameyang and the sheer multitude of blocks that came in. It was similar to the games against Chelsea and City where Allison kept the team in the game.

On the officials, they did not have a great game for both sides. That goal not counting was huge, but also not sending Fabinho off at least on two occasions was something that helped.

So, it is great that the team despite the poor performances is currently top of the table, and that this as I have also pointed out was a good result. It does not take away from the fact that there should be an improvement to performances.
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018 06:48:58 am by grooveshark »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #561: Nov 04, 2018 07:18:47 am
      The front three just haven’t been able to influence the game against the top sides this season - just hope it does start to click.

Surely we need the midfielders to supply the ammo for the front three to start hitting the net.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #562: Nov 04, 2018 07:44:29 am
      Apart from the stupid linesman on the Mane  disallowed  GOAL
      Its a good result in an away game vs a good in form side

Yes we can name that or that player for making mistakes.. it was the strongest  side we could play
      other teams like chelsea and city will get these kind of  draws/games......hope so anyway
      YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #563: Nov 04, 2018 07:59:21 am
      It is not the end of the world, we just need to win against Fulham and continue to push everyone. Ings please makes us a favour ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #564: Nov 04, 2018 08:02:06 am
      It is not the end of the world, we just need to win against Fulham and continue to push everyone. Ings please makes us a favour ;)

And score 3 own goals.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #565: Nov 04, 2018 08:06:28 am

Why? I did not understand. Ings is playing against City :/
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #566: Nov 04, 2018 08:39:39 am
      Why? I did not understand. Ings is playing against City :/

If he scores 3 goals that is as good as 3 goals for us.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #567: Nov 04, 2018 08:45:08 am
      Quote from grooveshark
      A few months ago, before the start of the season, we were having this debate with a friend who is also a Liverpool fan and he told me that this team with Fabinho and Keita with that front three would not only be solid at the back, but also have the best attack in the league.

I remember telling him that there is a huge difference in how both teams approach games and how that manifests itself in clear cut chances. City press, but they also dominate possession, always looking to be positive and at the end, they get a lot of goals that are tap ins. Klopp on the other hand would rather sit and press, even cede possession and encourage teams to start at the back before pressing for a chance to counter. Most of the games this season have seen teams sitting back.

That belief that you see in City, Chelsea, Arsenal where they go out, have possession, throw bodies forward, take risks with the ball even when it comes to playing from the back is just lacking. It is hardly negativity on this game alone, it is a complaint that bar maybe four games all season, across all competitions, performances have not been good......leave alone talking about great.

I feel sorry for the manager especially when it comes to the midfield, but other than that, the team has not been positive most of the season. With Salah and Mane, you always have an out ball and that will always guarantee chances because of their sheer pace.

On this game, there were chances that were there for the taking, and the Mane goal should have counted. I do not think that the VVD chance and the clean out afterwards was a penalty, that is reaching. On the balance of play, Arsenal had their openings and their chances too. Mkhitaryan should have scored, Xhaka should have done better with that cute corner set up they ran, Aubameyang heading over in the first half, Lacazette not lifting the ball over a rushing Allison off a cut back. Mkhitaryan not having the presence of mind to cross to Aubameyang and the sheer multitude of blocks that came in. It was similar to the games against Chelsea and City where Allison kept the team in the game.

On the officials, they did not have a great game for both sides. That goal not counting was huge, but also not sending Fabinho off at least on two occasions was something that helped.

So, it is great that the team despite the poor performances is currently top of the table, and that this as I have also pointed out was a good result. It does not take away from the fact that there should be an improvement to performances

You're never going to get a perfect performance from the team, there will always be room to improve, even if we win 4 and 5-0. And I do think that some of the micro analysis is nit picking, the level of criticism is way ott. Arsenal would love to be where we are, lots of teams would love to be where we are. For most of them, the idea of going to Arsenal and coming away with a point is a pipe dream.

I thought we would win beforehand, after having the full week to prepare that Jürgen craves. But having lost at Arsenal far too often down the years, I will take a point there if necessary. It's our third draw there in the last 4 seasons, and the one time we won, we needed to score 4.

When I saw it live, I expected the Mane goal to be ruled out. But we all know it shouldn't have been, and if we had VAR that would be a goal, we would be in front and we could then dictate the game. When the result of vote was announced last season, I said that no VAR would see us drop points at some stage, and hey presto here it is. And probably not the last time this season either. The penalty is a stonewall all day long. You can't hit an opponent in the face in any area of the pitch. A competent ref would have seen the foul and done his job, when the ball didn't go in. There was another occasion when Mane was blocked off on the halfway line and the ref gave a throw the other way. It was ludicrous officiating at times.

The game could have gone either way, so while disappointed not to have won, a point at Arsenal isn't the end of the season some have made it out to be. City will drop points as well, and it's just a question of being there ready to pounce when it happens. Not next week though. I'm not in the business of wanting the mancs to win football games. There are some things that I just can't compromise on. Singleton will be full of it if his team gets a result, the rest of their mob will say the good times are back, and the media will lap it all up. We can do without that  circus for the next two weeks. Their trip to Chelsea next month is their next serious test, and then we'll find out just how good our result there was.

We've shown last season that we can go toe to toe with City, while this season there's been nothing to separate the teams so far. We're winning the games we're expected to win, and we're picking up vital points in the more difficult games, even if performances leave room for improvement. We're in a good place and there are still 27 games still to go.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #568: Nov 04, 2018 09:02:12 am
      Any sign of Ox?..he wouldve been good.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #569: Nov 04, 2018 09:11:52 am

Seriously??

He's out for the season.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #570: Nov 04, 2018 09:12:38 am
      That’s Spurs,Chelsea and Arsenal all played at there spots and come away with five points. Let’s have some positivity. I’d have taken that before the season started.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #571: Nov 04, 2018 09:19:18 am
      Come on people have a bit of perspective. I know it's sh*t being pegged back and feels like 2 points lost but...

We are still right in the mix and on another day we could have had that wrongly disallowed goal given, van dijk could have had 2 or 3 goals and the match could have ended 3 or 4 - 1 in our favour.

Remember, we've beat spurs and drew with city, Chelsea and arsenal so far. We have another chance to take 3 points off all of them in the second half of the season.

The only thing I'd like to see is Klopp letting the shackles off a bit and letting us run riot like last season because it feels like we have lost a bit of our ruthlessness in favour of being more defensively sound.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #572: Nov 04, 2018 09:23:04 am
      That’s Spurs,Chelsea and Arsenal all played at there spots and come away with five points. Let’s have some positivity. I’d have taken that before the season started.

Exactly mate, could easily have lost all of them such is the quality at the top this season.

I mean, arsenal like ourselves and city are in red hot form at the minute. The main thing is not losing and having a big 3 point swing in their favour.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #573: Nov 04, 2018 09:34:08 am

Been walking round with your eyes shut for 8 months?
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #574: Nov 04, 2018 09:52:58 am
      Come on people have a bit of perspective. I know it's sh*t being pegged back and feels like 2 points lost but...

We are still right in the mix and on another day we could have had that wrongly disallowed goal given, van dijk could have had 2 or 3 goals and the match could have ended 3 or 4 - 1 in our favour.

Remember, we've beat spurs and drew with city, Chelsea and arsenal so far. We have another chance to take 3 points off all of them in the second half of the season.

The only thing I'd like to see is Klopp letting the shackles off a bit and letting us run riot like last season because it feels like we have lost a bit of our ruthlessness in favour of being more defensively sound.

Maybe Klopp's looked back at the 'nearly' games of other seasons, especially the 'nearly' finals.  I wonder if coming 2nd once too often has led to him putting more emphasis on defending than attacking, as compared with previous seasons.  Something about his post match interview smacked of relief that we hadn't lost.  That's also how I felt, I'm sorry to say.

Positives are great.  We were at least as good as Arsenal, who - like it or not - are the form team at this point, and we are as good as City in the league (points wise).  This is going to be a long hard season and I expect we'll be pushed all the way by the usual top 6 suspects, and points points points are all that matter right now.  We've been spoiled with lustrous attacking football last few seasons, but won nothing.  Yesterday, our defensive was a solid unit, even with TAA below par.  Thank f*ck.
      Mane runs for everything, shows for every pass, just nothing quite works for him.  One of those games.  VVD was immense.  Milner was a tank, and I'm sick of people talking about him as if he's a defensive option in midfield.  Look at his assists!  He adds so much to our attacking play.  Robbo as always, was a MOTM candidate and could have had 3 assists.  He's always our most consistent attacker, and the guy still defends like a boss. 

Negatives.  Fab was slow, clumsy and poor - he was getting passed around repeatedly and didn't seem to know what position to take up against their attacks.  Trent had a difficult game.  He also had no support on his side and looks low on confidence (not a phrase we've had to associate with him yet).  Our formation is narrow in midfield and Arse exploited that with runners and feints, exposing TAA.  Bobby was needed in midfield and didn't show much in attack.

I think Klopp knows Fab is a risk at the moment against the best teams, but without Hendo (interesting how the Hendo haters have gone quiet by the way) he has to pick him.  Gini was Fab's security blanket yesterday.  We did well to get a point, I reckon, and blaming the officials is apt but we can't rely on them to help us - we've always known that.

I hated that game.  It was a great game for a neutral, but I turn into a monster when we have games like that.  I'm hell to be around.  In the words of the Ramones, I wanna be sedated.  Wanna look away, wanna be somewhere else; wanna be somebody else who doesn't give a sh*t about football.  But I'm not.  I'm a red.  And even when we're top of the league it's not easy, carefree fun.  Why's that?

Quick Reply