Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      70 (68.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      11 (10.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (7.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2018 07:22:49 pm

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26594 times
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Nov 04, 2018 10:08:31 am
      Maybe Klopp's looked back at the 'nearly' games of other seasons, especially the 'nearly' finals.  I wonder if coming 2nd once too often has led to him putting more emphasis on defending than attacking, as compared with previous seasons.  Something about his post match interview smacked of relief that we hadn't lost.  That's also how I felt, I'm sorry to say.

Possibly right mate, but I think the defense would still hold up if we went back to the relentless machine we were last year.

They are just a much better unit as a whole compared to the defence we've had for the last decade. I think they would handle most teams regardless of how aggressive we were at the other end.

Sure we might concede a few more but I'd happily concede a goal a game if it meant we got the lads smashing them in again.

I can't see any of those results happening where we get pegged back to 3 - 3 with this back line.

You only have to look at city, (I know they play a completely different game than us) but they never sacrifice attack for defence (well maybe against us)

They go for the jugular every single game, and in my opinion we have the attack to do exactly the same. Especially with the amazing back 5 we have right now.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #576: Nov 04, 2018 10:37:47 am
      Possibly right mate, but I think the defense would still hold up if we went back to the relentless machine we were last year.

They are just a much better unit as a whole compared to the defence we've had for the last decade. I think they would handle most teams regardless of how aggressive we were at the other end.

Sure we might concede a few more but I'd happily concede a goal a game if it meant we got the lads smashing them in again.

I can't see any of those results happening where we get pegged back to 3 - 3 with this back line.

You only have to look at city, (I know they play a completely different game than us) but they never sacrifice attack for defence (well maybe against us)

They go for the jugular every single game, and in my opinion we have the attack to do exactly the same. Especially with the amazing back 5 we have right now.

What d'you think is missing or has changed from an attacking point of view?  Is it that players aren't playing as well as last year, or have we emphasised defending over all out attack?  Or have teams worked out how to keep our front 3 lads quiet?  We don't seem to have the quick interchange of passing on the run, or the space to operate up front.
      One thing that hasn't changed is that Andy Rob is getting forward, although Trent looks to be getting caught neither forward nor back at times.  Our full backs were a massive source of attacks last year.
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018 10:42:04 am by TheleftpegofRayKennedy »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #577: Nov 04, 2018 10:49:50 am
      We lost two points because of a poor Linesman and Spurs won two points because of a poor linesmans decision it should be like this .
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #578: Nov 04, 2018 10:51:42 am
      You're never going to get a perfect performance from the team, there will always be room to improve, even if we win 4 and 5-0. And I do think that some of the micro analysis is nit picking, the level of criticism is way ott. Arsenal would love to be where we are, lots of teams would love to be where we are. For most of them, the idea of going to Arsenal and coming away with a point is a pipe dream.

I thought we would win beforehand, after having the full week to prepare that Jürgen craves. But having lost at Arsenal far too often down the years, I will take a point there if necessary. It's our third draw there in the last 4 seasons, and the one time we won, we needed to score 4.
      I am not expecting perfect performances, just performances that are good for the better part of the season. I knew that it was going to take time to try and bed in a new midfield so the initial games were not of concern.

There have been 15 games this season and I feel that the only games where the team has played well would have to be the opening game of the season against West Ham, the domination against Southampton and the games against Cardiff and Red Star Belgrade.

When I saw it live, I expected the Mane goal to be ruled out. But we all know it shouldn't have been, and if we had VAR that would be a goal, we would be in front and we could then dictate the game. When the result of vote was announced last season, I said that no VAR would see us drop points at some stage, and hey presto here it is. And probably not the last time this season either. The penalty is a stonewall all day long. You can't hit an opponent in the face in any area of the pitch. A competent ref would have seen the foul and done his job, when the ball didn't go in. There was another occasion when Mane was blocked off on the halfway line and the ref gave a throw the other way. It was ludicrous officiating at times.
      1. Looking at the letter of the law, Mane was offside because he moved towards the ball and was thus active. That was a change that came in a year or two ago if I remember correctly. If there was VAR, the official would have come to the same conclusion. In this regard, we have all been wrong in insisting that the goal should have counted.

2. There is a problem with consistency. If you award the penalty claim for Leno's challenge on VVD, you would have to do similar for Allison on Mkhitaryan. I didn't even think about either being a penalty until I saw comments from both sides of the divide clamoring for one. Both were simply poor finishes off a committed goalkeeper.

The game could have gone either way, so while disappointed not to have won, a point at Arsenal isn't the end of the season some have made it out to be. City will drop points as well, and it's just a question of being there ready to pounce when it happens. Not next week though. I'm not in the business of wanting the mancs to win football games. There are some things that I just can't compromise on. Singleton will be full of it if his team gets a result, the rest of their mob will say the good times are back, and the media will lap it all up. We can do without that  circus for the next two weeks. Their trip to Chelsea next month is their next serious test, and then we'll find out just how good our result there was.
      I think that it is a great result considering how poorly the team played. You take these results as they come. I think that the next few games offer an opportunity for the team to really try and gain some momentum especially in the League. Fulham, Watford, the derby, Burnley and Bournemouth are games that the team should be looking to gain maximum points from before the game against United.

We've shown last season that we can go toe to toe with City, while this season there's been nothing to separate the teams so far. We're winning the games we're expected to win, and we're picking up vital points in the more difficult games, even if performances leave room for improvement. We're in a good place and there are still 27 games still to go.
      This is the thing that has me positive. Not lost a game/point to a small team all season long.

By the way, this is a season that Liverpool should be targeting the league as a competition that it can win. I have not been this positive about a season as I was for this, and I doubt that going forward there will be a better opportunity than this to win it once Sarri and Emery have time and money to build their own teams.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #579: Nov 04, 2018 10:53:54 am
      Mane wasn't offside even the Expert BT Ref said so.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #580: Nov 04, 2018 11:05:26 am

Incompetent linesman simple as
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #581: Nov 04, 2018 11:08:11 am
      We can argue about this that and anything.

At the end of the day incompetence rules again. The luddites who don't want VAR have no place in the game, this game is proof. Should have been a win, and against teams like City, 2 points matter a lot.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #582: Nov 04, 2018 11:14:28 am
      Does that mean he is right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11786187/Offside-ref-New-rule-cracks-down-on-interfering-with-play-loophole.html

It was the teams and players that actually lobbied for this.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #583: Nov 04, 2018 11:37:40 am
      Quote from grooveshark
      I am not expecting perfect performances, just performances that are good for the better part of the season. I knew that it was going to take time to try and bed in a new midfield so the initial games were not of concern.

1. Looking at the letter of the law, Mane was offside because he moved towards the ball and was thus active. That was a change that came in a year or two ago if I remember correctly. If there was VAR, the official would have come to the same conclusion. In this regard, we have all been wrong in insisting that the goal should have counted.

2. There is a problem with consistency. If you award the penalty claim for Leno's challenge on VVD, you would have to do similar for Allison on Mkhitaryan. I didn't even think about either being a penalty until I saw comments from both sides of the divide clamoring for one. Both were simply poor finishes off a committed goalkeeper.

VVD ended up on the floor following the foul on him, that's how bad it was. A ref should note that, and award a penalty if the goal isn't scored. If you have to do similiar with the Alisson challenge, then that's your job as a ref. Even if you need a second viewing. Even if it's against me, I can't argue when a decision is correct, and I accept a VAR review as accurate.

There were at least 2 other stonewall penalties not given in other games this week, and they will be in the next busy round up. They're so clear, there is no discussion to be had, as with Mane's goal. We have the resources now to ensure the correct decision is made, and it's a total disgrace that we can't use them. Nobody should walk off a pitch  wondering "if only" about referees anymore.

As regards the performance in general, I'm not overly bothered. We've won games after poor performances before, we've dropped points after good performances. It's much of a muchness really. The result is what counts. When  we got a point there last year, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth here, that we can't do this and we can't do that, if we want to get x y and z. It turned out to be a very important point won come May. As hopefully this one will be.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #584: Nov 04, 2018 11:49:54 am
      VVD ended up on the floor following the foul on him, that's how bad it was. A ref should note that, and award a penalty if the goal isn't scored. If you have to do similiar with the Alisson challenge, then that's your job as a ref. Even if you need a second viewing. Even if it's against me, I can't argue when a decision is correct, and I accept a VAR review as accurate.
      Consistency. It would have been hard for him to give that penalty having done nothing on the other end

There were at least 2 other stonewall penalties not given in other games this week, and they will be in the next busy round up. They're so clear, there is no discussion to be had, as with Mane's goal. We have the resources now to ensure the correct decision is made, and it's a total disgrace that we can't use them. Nobody should walk off a pitch  wondering "if only" about referees anymore.
      The only game I watched was the United game where Bournemouth should have had a penalty.

As for Mane, he motioned that he wanted the pass, pass was made and he attempted to play the ball. That is offside according to the changes that happened several years back. This is not to say that officials are perfect, they are not and teams in the Premier League voted to not have something to back them up by choosing to delay the implementation of VAR. We have had some decisions go for us this season, and some going against. Swings and roundabouts.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #585: Nov 04, 2018 11:58:06 am
      What d'you think is missing or has changed from an attacking point of view?  Is it that players aren't playing as well as last year, or have we emphasised defending over all out attack?  Or have teams worked out how to keep our front 3 lads quiet?  We don't seem to have the quick interchange of passing on the run, or the space to operate up front.
      One thing that hasn't changed is that Andy Rob is getting forward, although Trent looks to be getting caught neither forward nor back at times.  Our full backs were a massive source of attacks last year.

I think it's a bit of emphasising defence over all out attack. I think Klopp has made some adjustments to how we play.

We don't press as aggressively and don't seem to get up the pitch as fast.

Like you say, it all seems a bit more measured and that neck break speed we had last season seems to have had a dampener put on it.

Whether that is a change in tactics, the opposition sussing us out a bit of a combination of both I don't know.

But I do have a feeling that should Klopp want to, he could bring back the speed and aggression we were used to at the back end of last season.

We were devastating weren't we, teams just couldn't live with us. I'm hoping it's just Jürgen getting us through to Christmas on the minimum and then letting us loose in the second half of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #586: Nov 04, 2018 12:06:10 pm
      You're never going to get a perfect performance from the team, there will always be room to improve, even if we win 4 and 5-0. And I do think that some of the micro analysis is nit picking, the level of criticism is way ott. Arsenal would love to be where we are, lots of teams would love to be where we are. For most of them, the idea of going to Arsenal and coming away with a point is a pipe dream.

I thought we would win beforehand, after having the full week to prepare that Jürgen craves. But having lost at Arsenal far too often down the years, I will take a point there if necessary. It's our third draw there in the last 4 seasons, and the one time we won, we needed to score 4.

When I saw it live, I expected the Mane goal to be ruled out. But we all know it shouldn't have been, and if we had VAR that would be a goal, we would be in front and we could then dictate the game. When the result of vote was announced last season, I said that no VAR would see us drop points at some stage, and hey presto here it is. And probably not the last time this season either. The penalty is a stonewall all day long. You can't hit an opponent in the face in any area of the pitch. A competent ref would have seen the foul and done his job, when the ball didn't go in. There was another occasion when Mane was blocked off on the halfway line and the ref gave a throw the other way. It was ludicrous officiating at times.

The game could have gone either way, so while disappointed not to have won, a point at Arsenal isn't the end of the season some have made it out to be. City will drop points as well, and it's just a question of being there ready to pounce when it happens. Not next week though. I'm not in the business of wanting the mancs to win football games. There are some things that I just can't compromise on. Singleton will be full of it if his team gets a result, the rest of their mob will say the good times are back, and the media will lap it all up. We can do without that  circus for the next two weeks. Their trip to Chelsea next month is their next serious test, and then we'll find out just how good our result there was.

We've shown last season that we can go toe to toe with City, while this season there's been nothing to separate the teams so far. We're winning the games we're expected to win, and we're picking up vital points in the more difficult games, even if performances leave room for improvement. We're in a good place and there are still 27 games still to go.

I'm confused why would we have dictated the game if Mane's goal had stood when we didn't dictate the game after Milner scored???

We were quite simply outplayed for the vast majority of that game and even before they scored I felt it was coming as we were sitting further and further back and despite our excellent defence if you do that against a team with as potent an attack as Arsenal and with their supporters cheering them on then 9 times out of 10 you concede.
      The result itself is not what concerns me, a draw away against an inform Arsenal is a damned good point, its more the continuing issues with our attack which just looks very average at the moment, Mo has lost all his magic from last season and I can't remember the last WOW goal he scored, where he blew me away with skill. The problem we have is we literally have no one else to put into attack, Sturridge is a very good impact sub but can't really play a whole game, Solanke has gone missing, injured??, and Origi is sh*te so unless our fornt three can at some F***ing point click into gear and rediscover the form of last year then no way will we win the league this year.
      Another issue is Klopp's insistence on not playing an attacking midfielder and his infuriating inability to change tactics mid game, it was clear as day yesterday that Fabinho was struggling, plus we were being over run, that would have been a great reason to swap Fabinho with Shaq and fight fire with fire. I'm convinced if we'd played Shaq form the start we would have dominated and won yesterday.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #587: Nov 04, 2018 12:33:06 pm
      I think it's a bit of emphasising defence over all out attack. I think Klopp has made some adjustments to how we play.

We don't press as aggressively and don't seem to get up the pitch as fast.

Like you say, it all seems a bit more measured and that neck break speed we had last season seems to have had a dampener put on it.

Whether that is a change in tactics, the opposition sussing us out a bit of a combination of both I don't know.

But I do have a feeling that should Klopp want to, he could bring back the speed and aggression we were used to at the back end of last season.

We were devastating weren't we, teams just couldn't live with us. I'm hoping it's just Jürgen getting us through to Christmas on the minimum and then letting us loose in the second half of the season.

Klopp has said this in a couple of pressers.

It's been posted on here with direct quotes.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #588: Nov 04, 2018 12:41:33 pm
      Quote from grooveshark
      Consistency. It would have been hard for him to give that penalty having done nothing on the other end
      The only game I watched was the United game where Bournemouth should have had a penalty.

As for Mane, he motioned that he wanted the pass, pass was made and he attempted to play the ball. That is offside according to the changes that happened several years back. This is not to say that officials are perfect, they are not and teams in the Premier League voted to not have something to back them up by choosing to delay the implementation of VAR. We have had some decisions go for us this season, and some going against. Swings and roundabouts.

We had one decision go our way in the first game, and if the right decision was made then, I would not have argued. The game was already won by then anyway. This weekend, we didn't win the game at all, so wrong decisions carry greater weight.

There's been a major decision wrong every 4 league games on average this season, and it's no defence to say "swings and roundabouts". That incompetence could cost us in May. Hopefully it won't, but it could, and whether it does or not, it's not good enough with so much at stake. I've counted 5-6 wrong decisions this weekend already, and there's still 3 games to be played. They're not debateable free kicks in the centre circle, they're not a sly corner or two, they're major decisions that affect the results of games.

Mane becomes active when Firmino touches the ball. He is behind the ball at that point. The goal should stand and we should have 3 points from our game. That is what VAR is for, to clear those calls up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #589: Nov 04, 2018 12:48:35 pm
      We had one decision go our way in the first game, and if the right decision was made then, I would not have argued. The game was already won by then anyway. This weekend, we didn't win the game at all, so wrong decisions carry greater weight.

There's been a major decision wrong every 4 league games on average this season, and it's no defence to say "swings and roundabouts". That incompetence could cost us in May. Hopefully it won't, but it could, and whether it does or not, it's not good enough with so much at stake. I've counted 5-6 wrong decisions this weekend already, and there's still 3 games to be played. They're not debateable free kicks in the centre circle, they're not a sly corner or two, they're major decisions that affect the results of games.

Mane becomes active when Firmino touches the ball. He is behind the ball at that point. The goal should stand and we should have 3 points from our game. That is what VAR is for, to clear those calls up.

What makes you think that Arsenal would have collapsed or failed to score if Manes goal had stood?
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #590: Nov 04, 2018 12:59:24 pm
      VVD could've had a hattrick as Klopp said - and we missed other chances.
      So regardless of possession etc. we could have been clinical and won that game relatively comfortably imho.
      But we didn't, don't see the need for major post mortems, we move on.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #591: Nov 04, 2018 01:05:39 pm
      Come on people have a bit of  I know it's sh*t being pegged back and feels like 2 points lost but...

OK. perspective...
      Title are won by team that win games, mainly with teams around them... OK we took points from teams many would feel are our main rivals for the title in Chelsea, and City, but those team beat Arsenal and we only managed a point. If we are to challenge, really challenge for the title these are the type of games we have to win. Yes City and Chelsea may drop points along the way but we have to drop as few as possible if we are to win the Premier League and not to be talk about a top four finish come January being our only gold
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018 01:18:08 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #592: Nov 04, 2018 01:13:28 pm
      Whatever your take on it, even though we remain unbeaten, we’ve dropped 2 valuable points due to incompetent officiating. Can’t see saints or palace doing much to help us. Are Woy and Sparky the sorts to park the bus for 90 mins ? Probably not, but both holding out for a draw would be nice.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #593: Nov 04, 2018 01:39:38 pm

A lot older than that.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #594: Nov 04, 2018 02:02:46 pm
      To be fair on the linemen, the offside rule is a farce! Mane was offside when getting into position just not when scoring. Personally I think the rule needs changing so that if a player runs for the ball in any phase it's offside. Mane needs to time his run better to accommodate for stuff like this. We can bemoan the decision, but there is a stupid system in play here, such complicated rules need VAR.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #595: Nov 04, 2018 02:51:11 pm
      To be fair on the linemen, the offside rule is a farce! Mane was offside when getting into position just not when scoring. Personally I think the rule needs changing so that if a player runs for the ball in any phase it's offside. Mane needs to time his run better to accommodate for stuff like this. We can bemoan the decision, but there is a stupid system in play here, such complicated rules need VAR.

Yeah, the offside rule is too complicated now. It should go back to the old rule that if any attacker is behind the defence when the ball is played behind, then it's offside. They won't do it though, cos they like the fact the current rules create more goals. ( The current rule is one of the reasons the art of defending has declined so much in recent years in my opinion. It's too complicated for defenders to co-ordinate a consistent offside trap.It sows confusion at the back.)

But it's not Mane's fault. He played to the existing rules, and the goal should have stood.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #596: Nov 04, 2018 03:54:44 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      What makes you think that Arsenal would have collapsed or failed to score if Manes goal had stood?

What makes you think they wouldn't? You know what their first half record is like.

We were dominating at the time. I know you like to say we were outplayed but we were not. VVD should have scored, Robbo could have, Mane was robbed. That's 3 chances around that time, before the penalty incident.

The second half was more counter attacking but we gave as good as we got. They had one decent chance between our goal and theirs, which Alisson dealt with. Everything else was dealt without mass panic. We had more attempts than them also, over the 90 minutes. So the idea that we were outplayed is not true.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #597: Nov 04, 2018 03:58:35 pm
      What makes you think they wouldn't? You know what their first half scoring record is like.

We were dominating at the time. I know you like to say we were outplayed but we were not. VVD should have scored, Robbo could have, Mane was robbed. That's 3 chances around that time, before the penalty incident.

The second half was more counter attacking but we gave as good as we got. They had one decent chance between our goal and theirs, which Alisson dealt with. Everything else was dealt without mass panic. We had more attempts than them also, over the 90 minutes. So the idea that we were outplayed is not true.

Erm we did score and lead though Milner and after that they dominated and I could see the equaliser coming from a mile off, if that had happened earlier in the game then they may well have got enough momentum to win  the game, but that's purely speculative but your point about bad officiating running the game would only hold if it was a game we completely dominated, but we didn't.

Quick Reply