Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      70 (68.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      11 (10.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (7.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2018 07:22:49 pm

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26611 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Nov 06, 2018 10:29:07 am
      It’s not a small decision though. It’s unacceptable we didn’t get that goal.
      Where did I say it was a small decision?  The point is, you're assuming that had the goal been given at that point, we'd have won 2-1 as everything else would have panned out identically, which is wrong.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #622: Nov 06, 2018 10:44:16 am
      Where did I say it was a small decision?  The point is, you're assuming that had the goal been given at that point, we'd have won 2-1 as everything else would have panned out identically, which is wrong.

Actually - in material / statistical terms it’s unknown, not wrong.

What IS known is that we should’ve been 1-0 long before we were.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #623: Nov 06, 2018 11:53:30 am
      Actually - in material / statistical terms it’s unknown, not wrong.

What IS known is that we should’ve been 1-0 long before we were.
      Technically, it is wrong as if the goal had stood, Arsenal would have kicked off at the halfway line.  As it was, they took the free kick from the offside position, so the the passages of play that followed were completely different.  ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #624: Nov 06, 2018 11:56:56 am
      Technically, it is wrong as if the goal had stood, Arsenal would have kicked off at the halfway line.  As it was, they took the free kick from the offside position, so the the passages of play that followed were completely different.  ;D
      Not at all. It isn’t wrong  statistically because you don’t know anything would have changed beyond a re-start at halfway and not the 6 yard box.

The rest is speculation / butterfly effect......

Anyways you made your point and some will agree and some won’t.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #625: Nov 06, 2018 12:00:45 pm
      Not at all. It isn’t wrong  statistically because you don’t know anything would have changed beyond a re-start at halfway and not the 6 yard box.

The rest is speculation / butterfly effect......

Anyways you made your point and some will agree and some won’t.

If Mane's goal had stood they would have had more time and intent to come at us, that might have created more opportunities for us or more for them( I think more for them as they dominated most of the match anyway), its impossible to say but to state categorically that that goal was the turning point in the match is nonsense from a statistical or any other point.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #626: Nov 06, 2018 12:04:52 pm
      If Mane's goal had stood they would have had more time and intent to come at us, that might have created more opportunities for us or more for them( I think more for them as they dominated most of the match anyway), its impossible to say but to state categorically that that goal was the turning point in the match is nonsense from a statistical or any other point.

It’s called debate Heimy - it was certainly influential - who knows how significant ultimately but I completely understand and share the frustration.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #627: Nov 06, 2018 12:08:44 pm
      It’s called debate Heimy - it was certainly influential - who knows how significant ultimately but I completely understand and share the frustration.

Always happy with debate, but statistics has no part in guess work and to predict the result if Mane's goal had stood is guess work, therefore it cannot be defined as a defining moment in the game. If Mane's goal had been disallowed in the 92nd minutes then you could say it was decisive but not so early in a very competitive match.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #628: Nov 06, 2018 12:31:45 pm
      Always happy with debate, but statistics has no part in guess work and to predict the result if Mane's goal had stood is guess work, therefore it cannot be defined as a defining moment in the game. If Mane's goal had been disallowed in the 92nd minutes then you could say it was decisive but not so early in a very competitive match.

I didn’t ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #629: Nov 06, 2018 02:08:04 pm

fair enough, we agree then :-)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #630: Nov 06, 2018 05:36:26 pm

I think it vastly improves our chances of winning. Why you’re trying to pick holes in this is beyond me
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #631: Nov 08, 2018 02:07:13 pm
      Quote from skamp

Well that is what we have to go on. You take the actual score, with the amount of goals wrongly ruled out, and in this case, come up with a 2-1 win.

Even if you don't believe that, there is no question that the wrongly disallowed goal had a major impact on the game. With VAR, we wait a few seconds, the decision is reviewed, corrected, and the game goes on. Without it, we've lost two points and there's nothing we can do about it. It cost our fans a lot of money to go down there. They deserve to know that every decision made was the correct one.

Last week, saw the most amount of wrong decisions made across the league  this season. They could all have been corrected, had we used the resources available. Incompetence from officials, whether it's sport or anything else, should not be advocated nor welcomed.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #632: Nov 08, 2018 02:23:42 pm
      On other note how can Jordon and Joe be call up England fixtures when both have be injury or carry knock club should told them F**k off England with pitch in bad way won't surprise me see Joe get injury or Jordon but not sure Trent play any games hopeful l hope club told England Joe and Jordon only play one game not two gsmes
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #633: Nov 22, 2018 10:56:55 pm
      Relive the atmosphere on matchday with audio commentary of the main moments of the game.

https://youtu.be/1jpot-EAdI4

Quick Reply