Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Red Star?

Alisson
      3 (4.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (4.5%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (4.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (27.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (4.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (12.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (6.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.5%)
      Divock Origi
      10 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Nov 10, 2018 07:49:24 pm

Red Star Belgrade 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30606 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Red Star Belgrade 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Nov 06, 2018 08:18:36 pm
      Ay Jürgen, any chance of F***ing that throw in coach off for a crossing one?

Laughin.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #553: Nov 06, 2018 08:18:47 pm
      This has been coming for a while, it's what do we do about it ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #554: Nov 06, 2018 08:19:24 pm
      Oh yeah and what was that Mane as wingback nonsense?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #555: Nov 06, 2018 08:20:54 pm
      A draw then if we beat Napoli by a better score than they beat us were through regardless of PSG

If PSG win though and we don't get a result any win against Napoli will do ?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      Reply #556: Nov 06, 2018 08:20:59 pm
      Still can't pick a mom tonight
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #557: Nov 06, 2018 08:21:09 pm
      I’ve said it before on this forum Coutinhos loss is has been underestimated we don’t have any magic in midfield just now and without the energy and press that took us to Kiev we are looking painfully ordinary.
      Hope to see Keita and Shaq on Saturday hand brake needs lifting
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #558: Nov 06, 2018 08:21:20 pm
      Shaqiri came out the best tonight. He's going to be nailed on to start at weekend. A good game to miss for his liverpool career.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,026 posts | 529 
      Reply #559: Nov 06, 2018 08:24:46 pm
      Missed the game thanks to the stupid kick off time. Didn't miss much by the sound of it.

Strange the way our performance level has dropped of late. We were playing well up until the Napoli game. Our front 3 were still looking for sharpness, but as a team we were playing well, deserving our good results. After Napoli beat us, we dipped and we haven't recovered. Strange. Under Jürgen we have been pretty resilient mentally. Can't put my finger on it.

Only thing I'll say is I don't believe in rotating the CBs. They are the 2 outfield players who don't run around much - they don't need rested. VVD and Joe have been forming a really promising partnership - don't mess with it. No idea if that had any part in the goals though.

Fulham next is it? Thank F**k, we should win that. But we need to get whatever our problem is solved, cos our form in terms of performance is getting worrying.
      DanMann

• 5,758 posts | 884 
      Reply #560: Nov 06, 2018 08:25:01 pm
      Firmino has played most of this season, and he has been off form. He comes in and he has another game that is so similar to the performances he has been having most of this season.

I think that this is the one team that pays so much attention to a striker pressing. You need a striker to score goals, to be a factor in the final third. You need midfielders to shield the back 4 and supply the front three with telling passes, and at the right time.

There is a problem in the midfield, and there is a problem with Firmino. Klopp also has not worked out what changes need to be made for the better.

Echo that. That's why taking Sturridge off was a poor decision.

Changes were needed in the centre. In any case, if any change in the front 3, it had to be for Salah.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,171 posts | 1095 
      Reply #561: Nov 06, 2018 08:26:04 pm
      This Napoli-PSG game looks weird. People are moving in the middle of the field, runs are being made, players are pushing the ball forward and taking on defenders, and the ball is wizzing all over the pitch.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      Reply #562: Nov 06, 2018 08:28:17 pm
      Let's hope Salahs form last season wasn't a flash in the pan
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #563: Nov 06, 2018 08:29:03 pm
      We lost because Klopp gambled our line up. Annoying, last game he got subs wrong... He needs to really get it together.

Questions should be asked of Klopp, no doubt (though Walton may get offended someone's questioning Klopp's sanctity), but you're going on about the lineup? that is a really strong lineup that should have easily won this game even if the goals there's not much we could have done against. And last game the subs had little to do with it. We missed chances, yes, but Klopp sure as F**k did not tell Alisson "make sure you stand in the F***ing middle of no man's land so Lacazette can easily lob it over you". Despite the rather average performance against Arsenal, had Alisson gone back to his line the second Lacazette turned around, his lob is routine catch. That is not in Klopp, but like i said at the start of this post, he spent a sh*t load of money in the summer and we have looked pretty damn mediocre for large parts of the season so far. That is on him, yes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #564: Nov 06, 2018 08:30:20 pm
      Shaqiri came out the best tonight. He's going to be nailed on to start at weekend. A good game to miss for his liverpool career.

It's no surprise he is becoming our most sought after player, after Ox and hopefully Naby he is the only one who can connect the midfield with our lonesome forwards.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #565: Nov 06, 2018 08:31:57 pm
      I saw Gini play like Gerrard for Holland I wouldn't mind seeing more of that this Sunday.
      I think we have been sussed out a bit our midfield tend to move sideway a bit like table football protecting the wingbacks forward play and then the CB's as well. Sorry for Studge but the only thing he really has to offer is his finishing and that seems to have gone to as he isn't going to press or run back I think he will not see much game time from now on. Jürgen will earn his pay this week because we have to come out and absolutely destroy Fulham on Sunday to lay to rest this awful night
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #566: Nov 06, 2018 08:33:18 pm
      Questions should be asked of Klopp, no doubt (though Walton may get offended someone's questioning Klopp's sanctity), but you're going on about the lineup? that is a really strong lineup that should have easily won this game even if the goals there's not much we could have done against. And last game the subs had little to do with it. We missed chances, yes, but Klopp sure as f**k did not tell Alisson "make sure you stand in the f**king middle of no man's land so Lacazette can easily lob it over you". Despite the rather average performance against Arsenal, had Alisson gone back to his line the second Lacazette turned around, his lob is routine catch. That is not in Klopp, but like i said at the start of this post, he spent a sh*t load of money in the summer and we have looked pretty damn mediocre for large parts of the season so far. That is on him, yes.

I only get offended by dickheads.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #567: Nov 06, 2018 08:35:45 pm
      Think we have to go with Fabhino,Kieta and Gini in midfield and give them a chance to gel . Strange thing is when we win on Sunday we will have 30 points not bad for a crap side out of form under a manager who doesn't know how to pick a team or set it up football is weird at times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,026 posts | 529 
      Reply #568: Nov 06, 2018 08:38:08 pm
      There is a problem in the midfield, and there is a problem with Firmino. Klopp also has not worked out what changes need to be made for the better.

Not talking about tonight but, yeah, this has been the case for a while. In midfield, Jürgen has options coming back in - Hendo, Keita, Shaq - he should be able to sort it. Up front is more of a problem. If Bob is off form, which he is, then yeah Sturridge is quality, but we lose the leader of our high press. If we play Studge we need a creative passer in midfield rather than relying on the gegenpress as the source of our attacking threat, and we don't really have that ( unless maybe Keita ends up providing it).

Said after the Arsenal game that we should go with Salah up front, and I think that is the thing to try while Bob has a rest. It was hard to do it tonight though cos we had no Shaq to take Salah's wide role ( although I understand the decision not to take him).
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,171 posts | 1095 
      Reply #569: Nov 06, 2018 08:40:10 pm
      Think we have to go with Fabhino,Kieta and Gini in midfield and give them a chance to gel . Strange thing is when we win on Sunday we will have 30 points not bad for a crap side out of form under a manager who doesn't know how to pick a team or set it up football is weird at times

A Win from us and a MANC upset would make a lot of people forget about today!!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #570: Nov 06, 2018 08:42:22 pm
      Sadly that result has been coming for a while now and it was only a matter of time before we got found out for playing how we are.

It was another toothless performance where we didn't threaten much or do enough on the ball and unfortunately for us, our defence were unable to keep the opposition out this time.

The starting 11 was ok. It's not what I'd have gone with personally but it was still strong enough to do the job and get a result out there.

Within ten minutes you could see that we were struggling though. The balance didn't look right and the football was dire in truth. Sturridge missed a sitter but other than that we didn't create a sausage.

1-0 down from a corner which was just a shambles to be honest. Nobody followed the strikers run and then he went unchallenged before heading his team infront. It was proper schoolboy, pathetic marking that. Not what you expect in a champions league game.

The second goal was even worse. Milners pass inside to Wijnaldum was awful to get dispossessed, but then gini let their striker go past him far too easily. It was a half hearted attempt from gini to win the ball back and I counted at least two times where he could have brought him down and took a yellow for the team but instead let him go on and shoot. The centre halves could have perhaps closed him too and I think Alisson could have done better as well.

2-0 down from just stupid school boy stuff. It was actually embarrassing.

Second half starts and we make a couple of changes. Again, not the changes I'd have made personally but I'm glad klopp was trying to do something different because the first half was just truly abysmal.

Our football improved and it was one way traffic but if we're being honest, we could still be playing out there now and we wouldn't have scored. They were happy to sit back and defend their lead and we couldn't find a way through.

Its games like today where you realise how poor our midfield options are. Our centre mids (apart than Keita) are ALL better WITHOUT the ball than they are WITH the ball. Milner, gini, Can last season, Henderson and even Lallana all have high energy levels and they all press the opposition well but they all lack quality on the ball.

Games like tonight you don't need players who press and harass the opposition, you need somebody who can put their foot on the ball and make a pass, have a shot and test the keeper or dribble and charge forward with the ball. We just don't have that.

The balance in midfield is all wrong and klopp needs to make changes for the weekend.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #571: Nov 06, 2018 08:45:32 pm
      Hopefully this embarrassing result has the same impact on us this season as a similarly embarrassing result against Spurs last season.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #572: Nov 06, 2018 08:46:30 pm
      Definitely a result that was coming. Generally been too poor for far too long now.

I’d be surprised if we get out of the group now.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,261 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #573: Nov 06, 2018 08:48:27 pm
      PSG 1 up..think thats good..???
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #574: Nov 06, 2018 08:48:29 pm
      Think we have to go with Fabhino,Kieta and Gini in midfield and give them a chance to gel .

That would be the Fabinho that was out of his depth against Arsenal, a Keita that's failed to impress so far, and a Gini that's gone missing the last two games on the trot? No thanks. What we need is Hendo back and give Shaq a run of games.

Strange thing is when we win on Sunday we will have 30 points not bad for a crap side out of form under a manager who doesn't know how to pick a team or set it up football is weird at times

It's one thing to criticise the team's performances this year but some people have gone way over the top. Tonight's team might not have been great, and may have lead to defeat but it was still more than good enough to beat this Belgrade side and no one was kicking up a stink before kick off when the team was announced. In fact the general consensus was that this would be a good game to rest players in which is precisely what Klopp did. I'll criticise the team for its performances this season but people claiming Klopp can't pick a team need to get a grip.

All that being said, one thing we did learn tonight is our squad is not quite as good as we thought it was. We have no one challenging our front three for a place and we lack depth in the creative part of midfield. One big thing to take away from tonight is no Clyne even on the bench.

Quick Reply