Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Red Star?

Alisson
      3 (4.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (4.5%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (4.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (27.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (4.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (12.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (6.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.5%)
      Divock Origi
      10 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Nov 10, 2018 07:49:24 pm

Red Star Belgrade 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30428 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Nov 06, 2018 10:13:27 pm

Nothing to do with UEFA, Klopp should have taken him could you see Souness or Smith putting up with that
      Totally agree klopp should have taken him, but if there was a threat then as I have said earlier UEFA should have moved the game and have it played behind closed doors
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: Red Star Belgrade 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #622: Nov 06, 2018 10:15:08 pm
      Awful performance, in my view, never looked like scoring. Red Star Belgrade deserved their victory.

Can’t argue with any of that mate.

In its own way tonight - for me - was as annoying as Spurs last year. At that time it seemed to encapsulate all our defensive fragility in one performance.

Tonight was the same but for the lack of fluidity between midfield and attack.

It will click - but it was disappointing and frustrating.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #623: Nov 06, 2018 10:16:58 pm
      Just seen a stat Adam Lallana has 1 goal and 1 assist in the last two years.  :o

* Rushes off to check if true*

Not surprised. Hes always injured and powderpuff when he does play.

All to nice with Adam and not enough focus on anything remotely killer either in his passing, shooting or general attitude to the game.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #624: Nov 06, 2018 10:19:12 pm
      Firmino has played most of this season, and he has been off form. He comes in and he has another game that is so similar to the performances he has been having most of this season.

I think that this is the one team that pays so much attention to a striker pressing. You need a striker to score goals, to be a factor in the final third. You need midfielders to shield the back 4 and supply the front three with telling passes, and at the right time.

There is a problem in the midfield, and there is a problem with Firmino. Klopp also has not worked out what changes need to be made for the better.
      Been saying since the start of the season that Firmino has not looked the same player since the WC, and the was more of a concern that Salah's run of bad form because Bobby is the one that makes the front three click
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2018 10:32:13 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Harrisimo

• 8,229 posts | 1388 
      Reply #625: Nov 06, 2018 10:24:45 pm
      Totally agree klopp should have taken him, but if there was a threat then as I have said earlier UEFA should have moved the game and have it played behind closed doors

I think it was the right decision. Only takes one nutter...could say that about any sports event. But still I think caution was the best policy and there was no guarantee Shaq would've played.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #626: Nov 06, 2018 10:31:41 pm
      No threat needs to be made towards a player specifically, however it only takes one idiot to start a chain reaction & for playing behind closed doors this would still not protect the player...
      That is why earlier I said that the games should have been moved to a neutral ground/Venue/Country
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,288 posts | 763 
      Reply #627: Nov 06, 2018 10:33:48 pm
      Very disillusioned at times, one step forward, another step back etc. Thought the defence had been sorted, also the attack very impotent, tonight !!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #628: Nov 06, 2018 10:34:13 pm
      I think it was the right decision. Only takes one nutter...could say that about any sports event. But still I think caution was the best policy and there was no guarantee Shaq would've played.
      That will been the new thing now, threaten a player and clubs won't bring them to play against you
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #629: Nov 06, 2018 10:35:30 pm
      Lallana is pointless. Get rid. Simple.
      Scottbot

• 9,601 posts | 2156 
      Reply #630: Nov 06, 2018 10:37:51 pm
      If we lose at PSG and Napoli best Red Star are we out or would a win vs Napoli still do it for us in the final game?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #631: Nov 06, 2018 10:43:03 pm
      In hindsight the three changes were too many. Sturridge and Lallana together was a bad choice up front. Our system relies on quick interplay and coordinated movement. Sturridge doesn't move and Lallana just runs anywhere. We should have started with Gomez in stead of Matip or TAA. I think Klopp got it totally wrong with the team tonight.

Having said that they didn't blow us away, they just got a couple of preventable goals, individual goals really. Then they could sit. We started to threaten when the changes were made at half time then we settled back into a pattern of moving the ball in front of them, from side to side. It was really disappointing. However, we have PSG next and they honestly look very average.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #632: Nov 06, 2018 10:43:49 pm
      If we lose at PSG and Napoli best Red Star are we out or would a win vs Napoli still do it for us in the final game?

I think we need to win by 2 goals vs Napoli, that will give us the a better head to head and will see us go through even if we lose vs PSG.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #633: Nov 06, 2018 10:44:23 pm

Irrespective of what happens in Paris a 2-0 v Napoli will be enough.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,288 posts | 763 
      Reply #634: Nov 06, 2018 10:44:40 pm
      Certainly need to step up a gear or two, on tonight's performance. Otherwise will not qualify, for the latter stages of the competition.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,152 posts | 1090 
      Reply #635: Nov 06, 2018 10:59:52 pm
      Irrespective of what happens in Paris a 2-0 v Napoli will be enough.

Thanks for making it easy. We will move forward
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #636: Nov 06, 2018 11:05:43 pm
      If this is not enough of a kick up the arse for the entire team plus coaches then I'm not sure what is, it was an abject performance similar to Napoli.
      Ever since Buvac left we have been fairly ordinary in attack, I hope there can be some kind of reconciliation there.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #637: Nov 07, 2018 12:18:59 am
      If this is not enough of a kick up the arse for the entire team plus coaches then I'm not sure what is, it was an abject performance similar to Napoli.
      Ever since Buvac left we have been fairly ordinary in attack, I hope there can be some kind of reconciliation there.

Ain't gonna happen, think it's time to say goodbye to the 'brain'
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #638: Nov 07, 2018 12:48:57 am
      I begin lose faith in manger, best we do tonight play wash up Adam lallana fhish at top level, James milner who good pro but sadly come to end of his career and we still got Henderson at club who all over hype players, we be better play Curtis Jones tonight one younger players least be bit energy in midfield our football is like Brenden Rogers season he was sack slow no pace, boreing watch we lucky be second in team in premier league even games against Walford and bouremouth away come up not sure we even win them games
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #639: Nov 07, 2018 12:52:19 am
      City are light year head us in league look like we need other three or four more players like other forward wide player and playmaker in midfeld not just other water carrier someone that can control game and killer pass
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #640: Nov 07, 2018 01:17:18 am
      I begin lose faith in manger, best we do tonight play wash up Adam lallana fhish at top level, James milner who good pro but sadly come to end of his career and we still got Henderson at club who all over hype players, we be better play Curtis Jones tonight one younger players least be bit energy in midfield our football is like Brenden Rogers season he was sack slow no pace, boreing watch we lucky be second in team in premier league even games against Walford and bouremouth away come up not sure we even win them games

You see, this is where people need to get a grip. We haven't performed near to our potential this season, Fabinho and Keita haven't settled yet, we're lacking creativity in the middle of the park and our forwards are misfiring, and yet in spite of all this, we're top third in the league, two points off a City with far greater resources than us (not to mention friends in high places) and still have a very real chance of going through to the Knockout stages having topped our group, and that my friend is down to Klopp. Does he make mistakes? He's human, obviously he does. We're all experts with hindsight but you weren't moaning about that team before kickoff. So give the hysterics a rest and let's see what the next few games bring.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,747 posts | 858 
      Reply #641: Nov 07, 2018 01:17:50 am
      I only managed to catch the second half. It was truly a concerning performance. I have not seen the performance of the back-line since I missed the first half and the opposition spent the whole second half parking the bus so I won't talk about the back 4.

Midfield. Very unidimensional, nobody in those 3 can take the ball and effectively fill the space left between the forwards the and midfield (the no10 space). I know Shaqiri is the obvious answer, but what if he gets injured? Wijnaldum, Milner, Fabinho and Henderson are not creative nor very mobile with the ball in order to open up spaces for the forwards.

Since Ox got injured, we've been stuck with that problem. He wasn't super creative by any means but the fact that he had the speed and strength to make straight runs between the opposition full backs and center backs made all the difference. It usually opened up enough space for Firmino and one of Salah or Mane to move into dangerous positions and lose some of their markers in order to eventually receive the ball.

Unless Keita can come back soon enough and start producing that, we'll have to rely on Shaqiri in a 4-2-3-1 and forget about the 4-3-3. It's useless to have 3 midfielders who are all lacking in the same department playing all at the same time.

Forwards/Front Three. The thing that has been killing me the most since the start of the season is not the missed scoring opportunities or occasional faulty decision-making. It's that I actually feel that every time Salah, Mane or Firmino have the ball at their feet they lose it one way or the other. Don't get me wrong, this is the nature of the job of a forward. Having the ball in the most advanced positions on the field means that you're constantly pressed by defenders, midfielders and nowadays wingers rushing back to defend. However, on many occasions, all three of them can't seem to distribute a simple pass on the build up. Earlier this year Salah was plagued with that, but it seems Firmino and Mane caught up to him and in the past couple of games I would even say surpassed him.

With that said. I can't just dump it all on them. It's too easy. Fact is they are playing with no real support from our midfield. On many occasions, all three of them make little but intelligent calls and runs that could lead to opportunities if the ball is quickly delivered to them yet the movement of the ball from the midfield is too slow and nobody sees those calls. In addition to the lack of creativity, nobody can mimic Ox and cause havoc in the opposition's back line in order to create any kind of space.

Salah is constantly being marked by 3 players if not more, yet he is expected to score 2 or 3 per game with no creative support or smart movement from his teammates in order to alleviate some of the pressure that is on him. If anything I'm surprised he finds a way to get opportunities.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #642: Nov 07, 2018 02:05:41 am
      To quote the great Bob Marley (and the Wailers) from No Woman, No Cry:

"Everything's gonna be alright.
      Everything's gonna be alright.
      Everything's gonna be alright."

Happy Wednesday morning to most of you. Start looking forward to a good win for us on Sunday. Breathe.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #643: Nov 07, 2018 05:55:34 am

Every time we don't play well you arrive on here talking about losing faith in the manager and how far we are behind City.....why don't you just F**k off and support them then you won't have to worry.

Some fans (won't call you a supporter as they are clearly 2 different things) F**k me get a grip.

Quick Reply