Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

1 former player you'd love now

Read 9559 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: 1 former player you'd love now
      Reply #46: Nov 11, 2018 02:08:03 am
      Gerrard 2009 for our current team. No question.

It's difficult to debate against that point, but I'll give it a bash   :laugh:, bearing in mind it's only one player to add to this team/squad.

Gerrard would give us a huge boost in the slot for the furthest forward midfielder, no doubt, but I would argue that having Souness in the 8 (ish) position gives us the triple luxury of having a creative player who can pass very well, a defender who can destroy AND he would provide both an attacking and defensive platform from a deeper position, which in turn would allow us to play another attacker (Shaqiri perhaps) without giving away any defensive solidity.

I know you could say the same about Gerrard, but I honestly think that in a deeper position, with the players we have, Souness is the better option, simply because he gives us more options further forwards.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #47: Nov 11, 2018 02:13:24 am
      Suarez. Best player I have ever seen in a Red shirt for my money. Gerrard is a legend and is our boy, but Suarez is a class scorer who has the ability of Salah inside the box and the talent outside of it to shoot and score from distance when teams sit back.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #48: Nov 11, 2018 02:34:27 am
      Tommy Smith would put some bight into the present team.Oh and a young Ray Clemence  while we are dreaming.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Nov 11, 2018 08:30:11 am
      Coin flip between Alonso or Gerrard from circa 2008.
      Gerrard would certainly bridge that gap we often see between midfield and attack.
      Alonso would give us that vision missing in midfield.
      Two different ways of maybe achieving the same thing.
      Neither of which we see replicated in the current team.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #50: Nov 11, 2018 10:04:17 am
      He wouldn't be close to my top pick but I'd have loved to see Dirk Kuyt play under Klopp. Perfect player for his system.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #51: Nov 11, 2018 10:05:52 am
      Coin flip between Alonso or Gerrard from circa 2008.
      Gerrard would certainly bridge that gap we often see between midfield and attack.
      Alonso would give us that vision missing in midfield.
      Two different ways of maybe achieving the same thing.
      Neither of which we see replicated in the current team.

I think, in time, Fab will give a more than passable (see what I did there ;)) impression of Xabi......
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Reply #52: Nov 11, 2018 10:06:16 am
      Out of many players that come to mind, I will go for Kenny Dalglish.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #53: Nov 11, 2018 10:09:27 am
      Phil Neal as we are supposed to pick only one right. Just check out his record it is just crazy talk about playing through the pain this man felt no pain only glory.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #54: Nov 11, 2018 10:10:04 am
      Tommy Smith would put some bight into the present team.Oh and a young Ray Clemence  while we are dreaming.

Safe to say Senor Ramos wouldn’t have taken the same liberties with our Mo Billy!

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #55: Nov 11, 2018 10:11:22 am
      I get what you mean, 100%, as I've had the same thoughts myself.
      I'd just make a couple of points though; never underestimate just how fit those lads were. The game was played at a breakneck pace back then as well, but we stood out (and won lots) because not only were we fitter, bigger, stronger, faster than most teams, we also played very fast football.
      My second point is that yes, Souness would have to modify his game, but I'd argue that he did that when he went to Sampdoria, and showed he was capable of playing different styles, like he played with Scotland back when they had some great players.

I know it's different times, I just think the levels are not as far apart as you think, and that the best players from any era would adapt quickly, especially in their prime.

It is one of footballs most fascinating questions, but as above, special is special in any era, in my view.

Good points mate, hard for me to say as unfortunately never got to see them play. I always draw comparisons to track and field or any other sport assessed by time it takes to finish and how things are constantly improving but I take your point about them not being 'unfit' so to speak.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #56: Nov 11, 2018 10:12:21 am
      Steven Gerrard= best player of all time.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #57: Nov 11, 2018 11:40:20 am
      Peak Suarez. He'd be perfect for this Klopp team. A Gnarly, horrible, clinical and wonderfully talented footballer is what we need now.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #58: Nov 11, 2018 11:55:10 am
      Young Gerrard.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #59: Nov 11, 2018 11:58:52 am
      Good points mate, hard for me to say as unfortunately never got to see them play. I always draw comparisons to track and field or any other sport assessed by time it takes to finish and how things are constantly improving but I take your point about them not being 'unfit' so to speak.

My understanding, limited though it is, is that the biggest breakthroughs have been in fitness monitoring and injury prevention, with a better understanding of diet and rest, which allows "elite" players' fitness to be managed much more effectively, which I think is different from actual fitness level differences between different era's.

Will continue another time as match is about to start.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Nov 11, 2018 02:58:43 pm
      The one...the only....Mr.....Ian Callaghan. Gave every once in every game and played a total of 857....eight hundred and fifty seven games...Klopp could've sent Cally out on his own in the second half today..and Fulham would've noticed.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #61: Nov 11, 2018 04:00:00 pm
      Steven Gerrard.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #62: Nov 11, 2018 06:13:43 pm
      Hard to compare.

If you look at things in a vacuum then it's obvious todays players are vastly superior in terms of athleticism, there's no arguing that. However to really look at things properly you have to account facilities available, the rules of the time and the players they would be playing with and against and think 'what would x have done in y's time period'. Would Souness in him prime if plucked from the 80s be good in todays game? Not a f**king hope in hell, he'd be left huffing and puffing and without doubt be sent off. However if he was born in 1990 with the same 'natural talent' if you want to call it that, raised through the system with the facilities and played and developed into the game we play today, he'd undoubtedly be top quality (if any of that makes sense :laugh: ) One of footballs most fascinating questions in my eyes.

I think your over-estimating the difference in fitness between then and now. Today's players do a lot more gym work - working on their upper body strength etc ( but also cos it looks good, the vain cu*ts). But on the aerobic stuff that helps you get about the pitch - yeah they will be a bit fitter, and their diet will be better ( and if you look at the likes of Ronaldo and Bale, I don't know about you, but I think *steroids*), but not as much as all that. Players back then still trained hard ( most of them anyway) on the stamina side of things. I think peak Souness could play DM in our current midfield without a problem.

To make the point - look at say Alonso. Not exactly a midfield dynamo style player. Was he significantly fitter or more athletic than Souness? I wouldn't say so. But up to a couple of years ago playing ( at the age of about 35) for Bayern Munich. And a Bayern Munich managed by Guardiola, the classic high tempo modern coach. If he could do that, I don't see why peak Souness would struggle.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 49 
      Reply #63: Nov 11, 2018 10:33:45 pm
      Sounness for me, or Dalglish, or better yet, Dalglouness
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #64: Nov 12, 2018 03:02:37 am
      Imagine having Steven Gerrard at his pomp in this team. Christ.

Even Xabi.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #65: Nov 12, 2018 06:41:54 am

Sorry for changing my mind but in all honesty I would have to have the late great Billy Liddell in any Liverpool team.He gave so much to the Liverpool cause.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #66: Nov 12, 2018 07:36:57 am

Sorry for changing my mind but in all honesty I would have to have the late great Billy Liddell in any Liverpool team.He gave so much to the Liverpool cause.

Must admit Billy - I was surprised you didn’t go for the great man initially........

So many to choose from......
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #67: Nov 12, 2018 07:45:19 am
      Must admit Billy - I was surprised you didn’t go for the great man initially........

So many to choose from......

To be honest Al i thought people might get fed up with my going on how great he really was.When we were in the old second division he kept this club alive.Even after all these years I can still picture the great man.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #68: Nov 12, 2018 08:44:10 am
      Stevie g

Quick Reply