Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Daniel Sturridge charged with breaching betting rules

Read 9720 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Nov 12, 2018 08:26:13 pm

Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge has been charged by the Football Association with misconduct for alleged breaches of its betting rules in January this year.

It is alleged he breached one rule relating to betting on football, and one which covers providing information relating to football which has been "obtained by virtue of his position" and "is not publicly available".

A Liverpool spokesman said Sturridge, 29, had co-operated fully "throughout this process" and "stated categorically that he has never gambled on football".

The England international has been given until 18:00 GMT on Tuesday, 20 November to respond to the charge.

The Liverpool spokesman added: "As with any issue of this nature, we will allow the process to be concluded in its entirety before making any further comment."

Sturridge, who joined Liverpool from Chelsea in 2013, spent the second half of last season at West Brom after moving on loan on 29 January.

He has won 26 caps for England, the last of which came against Lithuania in October 2017.

An FA statement said the charge against him was "specifically in relation to Rule E8(1)(a)(ii) and Rule E8(1)(b)" which are:

Rule E8(1)(a) - a participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on - (i) the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition; or (ii) any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters.

Rule E8(1)(b) - where a participant provides to any other person any information relating to football which the participant has obtained by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available at that time, the participant shall be in breach of this Rule where any of that information is used by that other person for, or in relation to, betting.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46188110

If it is true, he will be banned and can say good bye to a new contract. He needs to clear his name to if he wants to stay here.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge charged with breaching betting rules
      Reply #1: Nov 12, 2018 08:53:46 pm
      Have to say, seems out of character. Wonder if we'll get anymore details
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #2: Nov 12, 2018 09:03:00 pm
      Apparently it’s all about giving people some information that could be used for betting - it’s rumoured to be about player transfers ?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Nov 12, 2018 09:04:29 pm
      I would not be shocked if Daniel gets a bigger fine/punishment than City do for their 'alleged' FFP issues.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Nov 12, 2018 09:12:59 pm
      Have to say, seems out of character. Wonder if we'll get anymore details

Does seem out of Character. Unintentional or whatever. Looks like he has been interviewed and the FA think they have sufficient evidence to charge him. Hope it ends well for him.
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Nov 12, 2018 09:23:09 pm
      I would not be shocked if Daniel gets a bigger fine/punishment than City do for their 'alleged' FFP issues.

Suppose he's being represented by the PFA. We can only hope he gets fair treatment from the FA.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Nov 12, 2018 09:26:47 pm
      "Bets on Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge's move to West Brom form part of FA probe"

Few sources on twitter inc. Liverpool Echo.
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Nov 12, 2018 10:00:11 pm
      Obviously being from Birmingham Sturridge is bound to have family and friends in the area. Must be very difficult for any player regarding transfers. I mean you have to arrange accommodation and schooling for your children etc. So there could be numerous situations were so called inside information or betting sensitive information could be communicated innocently.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #8: Nov 13, 2018 12:08:07 am
      things like this are just laughable......this stance the fa etc are taking on betting, when every game you watch on tv is saturated in betting sites etc
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #9: Nov 13, 2018 12:33:18 am
      Fa always had in for club watch city get away without fine or anything, won't surprise me if city owners pay off fa football is lose soul years ago other thing if Daniel did not put on bet himself how can change him
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Nov 13, 2018 07:07:01 am
      Let Daniel Sturridge be found guilty before hanging him out to dry.At the moment  he has only been charged.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Nov 13, 2018 09:46:27 am
      these are not secret affecting the Nations security and could be as simple as someone overhearing a conversation with a family member who went and stuck a few quid on his move. Seems a bit vague in terms of proof at this point
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Nov 13, 2018 10:19:15 am
      Hmm suddenly that miss against Red Star makes more sense ;-)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #13: Nov 13, 2018 11:08:00 am
      Innocent until proven guilty far as I'm concerned.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2018 11:27:41 am
      Apparently it’s all about giving people some information that could be used for betting - it’s rumoured to be about player transfers ?

He said that West Brom were going to lose :D :D
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2018 11:43:11 am
      Doesn't look good.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/revealed-details-of-the-alleged-offence-for-which-sturridge-has-been-charged/ar-BBPDtzF?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=iehp

If found guilty I would be surprised if they do not ban him after the Draconian ban they threw at Joey Barton last year. It's not good news for LFC because he was proving to be an effective spell for Firmino in a good few games already this season. Fingers crossed they issue a fine rather than a ban.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16: Nov 13, 2018 11:54:55 am
      Not sure where I stand on this. I can say if it is or is not  in character as I do not know the player personally. Part of me wants to defend D.S, as he is a Liverpool player, but there is another part of me that says "If" this is proven to be true and because of it LFC does indeed refuse to offer him a new contract then the up side is I feel we have kept him at the club too long and now it will force Klopp to look for a quality replacement
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2018 02:21:08 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17: Nov 13, 2018 01:14:16 pm
      Doesn't look good.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/revealed-details-of-the-alleged-offence-for-which-sturridge-has-been-charged/ar-BBPDtzF?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=iehp

If found guilty I would be surprised if they do not ban him after the Draconian ban they threw at Joey Barton last year. It's not good news for LFC because he was proving to be an effective spell for Firmino in a good few games already this season. Fingers crossed they issue a fine rather than a ban.

I don't know...if he himself had bet on games he played in or something of the sort, I can see him getting the book thrown at him, but unless they have evidence that he passed along information knowingly that was to be used by someone to scam the bookies, I just don't see how they can charge him with anything....but it is the FA.

Thing is, these guys talk to their friends and family about their footballing careers, you can't tell me that family members and close friends don't know their comings and goings as soon as the player does. He can't control what someone else does with that information.

Like someone else said above, FA have a lot of nerve cracking down on this when they allow betting companies to plaster their ads across stadiums and kits all over the league. What a joke.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2018 01:43:59 pm
      things like this are just laughable......this stance the fa etc are taking on betting, when every game you watch on tv is saturated in betting sites etc

Exactly.

It used to be booze on every player's shirt (and the kiddie's versions until recent times) now its betting.
      Both can be problematical and addictive.

Its the FA.  Thinks ........ Luis ?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2018 01:48:40 pm
      What evidence do they have the leak about his move was from him? It could have been from West Brom staff. It could have been an estate agent or anything.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2018 01:49:42 pm
      Suppose he's being represented by the PFA. We can only hope he gets fair treatment from the FA.

Fair treatment and FA to a Liverpool player? Forget it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #21: Nov 13, 2018 04:05:38 pm
      It could all be bollocks but I doubt they would be investigating unless they had fairly solid information and some evidence. If it forces Jürgen's hand into getting an exciting pacy forward in January then there will at least be a silver lining.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #22: Nov 13, 2018 05:13:55 pm
      This is an absolute pile of horse sh*t if ever i saw it. Multiple individuals would have had prior knowledge of this transfer or loan in advance. If anyone looks guilty here it would be his agent in my opinion.

If the FA pursue this they will end up opening a can of worms that will be never ending.

Quick Reply