Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v PSG?

Alisson
      39 (46.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (3.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (21.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      James Milner
      5 (6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      15 (17.9%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.2%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Dec 02, 2018 09:55:46 pm

Paris St Germain 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34707 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Live: PSG V Liverpool
      Reply #23: Nov 28, 2018 07:19:52 pm
      A return to 4-3-3?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24: Nov 28, 2018 07:20:23 pm
      Personally I'm worried with that line up.

I would back that midfield 3 at home against anyone but away from home in a tough European leg I'm not confident they can hold onto the ball long enough when the pressure comes on.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

Look at PSG's line up, only 1 proper midfielder yet again. Very surprised Rabiot has been left out. Our industrial midfield might give them some serious problems if they play like how they did at home.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Nov 28, 2018 07:27:58 pm
      It’s simple - Gomez is absolutely flying so how can you leave him out and Lovren has been doing the business for club and country for a while now and has massive experience for this type of game.

Trent was a bit off in first half V Watford, but picked up in the second half. Klopp would've wanted Lovren in for his experience and that just pips Gomez for this game. Yes he wanted Joe in there but he would not have left Trent out without a serious debate within the coaching team. Trent will learn a tremendous amount from coming thru a game like this unscathed so it is a big call by Klopp.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Nov 28, 2018 07:28:11 pm
      A draw is as bad as a defeat isn’t it? Assuming Napoli and PSG beat Red Star, we still need to beat Napoli by more than a goal if we draw tonight.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #27: Nov 28, 2018 07:29:56 pm
      A draw is as bad as a defeat isn’t it? Assuming Napoli and PSG beat Red Star, we still need to beat Napoli by more than a goal if we draw tonight.

Any win will do on the final day if we draw tonight as we'd go to 10 points and Napoli would have 9 (presuming they win tonight).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #28: Nov 28, 2018 07:31:41 pm
      Look at PSG's line up, only 1 proper midfielder yet again. Very surprised Rabiot has been left out. Our industrial midfield might give them some serious problems if they play like how they did at home.

Rabiot allegedly has fallen out with tuchel
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29: Nov 28, 2018 07:32:06 pm

My worry is the last 4 European away games have been lost with a flat midfield.

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #30: Nov 28, 2018 07:37:05 pm
      Don't get the calls for Fabinho to start. On what basis would you start him away at PSG after what he has shown so far? "He knows PSG because he played in the French league" isn't exactly a good argument. Knowing how to play in our system is far more important than knowing the opposition. He hasn't looked good in that "sole #6" role yet and that's the system we're going to play tonight.

Personally I'm worried with that line up.

I would back that midfield 3 at home against anyone but away from home in a tough European leg I'm not confident they can hold onto the ball long enough when the pressure comes on.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

We don't really need to hold on to the ball if we're being pressured. As long as the likes of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner are able to release the front three quick enough when we do regain possession, which they're more than capable of, we'll cause PSG plenty of trouble.

As Londonred mentioned, Wijnaldum is a master at keeping possession and holding on to the ball. Hopefully, he'll have enough options around him to retain possession.

All we need to do is make sure we keep our shape, as we've been doing very well so far this season, stay concentrated and don't allow them to get too close to our box.

The positive about this starting eleven is that we have plenty of options on the bench to change shape, tactics and to put players on who are better at retaining possession under pressure when we do take the lead, (Keita, Shaqiri) than Milner and Henderson.

Really looking forward to this game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #31: Nov 28, 2018 07:37:18 pm

Rabiot had a dustup with Tuechel.

Tuechel...the man that's only won like 1 of his last 13 games against Jürgen.

I fancy us to drive this thing home tonight. That defense is crap, that midfield is crap...they are going to rely on their two expensive superstars while we are going to rely on our entire TEAM.

If we come out flat it will be rough, but if we come out flying, we'll put this away in short order I think.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #32: Nov 28, 2018 07:39:15 pm

We're going to win mate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #33: Nov 28, 2018 07:39:45 pm
      A draw is as bad as a defeat isn’t it?

Yup.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34: Nov 28, 2018 07:40:48 pm
      Not sure why Gomez is out of position. TAA is good enough. Shuffling players around isn't productive and what's with the dreaded Milner and Henderson combo? Van Dijk has a partnership with Gomez and I wouldn't have disturbed that. Klopp's line up isn't what I'd have picked, but he's the manager and I'll get behind the 11 out there. Something tells me there will be changes at HT though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Nov 28, 2018 07:41:20 pm
      Any win will do on the final day if we draw tonight as we'd go to 10 points and Napoli would have 9 (presuming they win tonight).

Next question;

Why am I stupid? :D

Just walked in to work. Gonna be doing absolutely F**k all so I can focus on this.

Pretty predictable team that’s been named. It’s worked before and can work again.

Oh aye. Still going 2-1 to the good guys.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Nov 28, 2018 07:42:49 pm
      Rabiot had a dustup with Tuechel.

Tuechel...the man that's only won like 1 of his last 13 games against Jürgen.

I fancy us to drive this thing home tonight. That defense is crap, that midfield is crap...they are going to rely on their two expensive superstars while we are going to rely on our entire TEAM.

If we come out flat it will be rough, but if we come out flying, we'll put this away in short order I think.

As much as I rate Verratti, I think it's crazy to go into a big game as the only proper midfielder, and he isn't even a combative one too.

I think we can take them!!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #37: Nov 28, 2018 07:44:25 pm
      Thats a pretty conservative looking team, dont expect much from midfield might be  case of keeping it tight and try and hit them on the break.

Same midfield that battered them in the first game!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Nov 28, 2018 07:45:02 pm
      Rabiot allegedly has fallen out with tuchel

out of contract this summer and won't sign, supposedly.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39: Nov 28, 2018 07:45:23 pm
      Don't get the calls for Fabinho to start. On what basis would you start him away at PSG after what he has shown so far? "He knows PSG because he played in the French league" isn't exactly a good argument. Knowing how to play in our system is far more important than knowing the opposition. He hasn't looked good in that "sole #6" role yet and that's the system we're going to play tonight.

We don't really need to hold on to the ball if we're being pressured. As long as the likes of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner are able to release the front three quick enough when we do regain possession, which they're more than capable of, we'll cause PSG plenty of trouble.

As Londonred mentioned, Wijnaldum is a master at keeping possession and holding on to the ball. Hopefully, he'll have enough options around him to retain possession.

All we need to do is make sure we keep our shape, as we've been doing very well so far this season, stay concentrated and don't allow them to get too close to our box.

The positive about this starting eleven is that we have plenty of options on the bench to change shape, tactics and to put players on who are better at retaining possession under pressure when we do take the lead, (Keita, Shaqiri) than Milner and Henderson.

Really looking forward to this game.

100% agree - zero basis for starting Fab ahead of that 3.......yet.

He’ll be a monster for us no doubt but I think it’s the right team for this game
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Nov 28, 2018 07:47:18 pm
      With that midfield we lose, oh well we'll just have to beat Napoli next game, sorry but there is no creativity in that midfield no service to the front 3. Hope I'm wrong
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #41: Nov 28, 2018 07:47:34 pm
      That was a marginal win at Anfield, also they would have learnt from that defeat. Paris is a different kettle of fish.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Nov 28, 2018 07:48:01 pm
      My worry is the last 4 European away games have been lost with a flat midfield.

But we are a bit more assured on the back foot than last season. Not that this line up is a negative line up. But panic does not set in the way it has over the past number of seasons. Keita hasn't fully settled, Shaq is a front foot attacking midfielder so it's cautious but we can still win.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #43: Nov 28, 2018 07:48:44 pm

I did say away from home, check out our results for the last 4 away European games inc the final.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #44: Nov 28, 2018 07:49:31 pm
      But we are a bit more assured on the back foot than last season. Not that this line up is a negative line up. But panic does not set in the way it has over the past number of seasons. Keita hasn't fully settled, Shaq is a front foot attacking midfielder so it's cautious but we can still win.

Eh you not seen us away in Europe this season?

Like I said I hope I'm proved wrong and we smash these plastic fuckers.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Nov 28, 2018 07:53:37 pm
      Lovren concerns me and so does the midfield. Hendo, Gini and Milner will either put in a master display like when it matters most in this competition, when all paired together. Or they will be as uncreative and dull as they are together in the league more often than not. Would have preferred to have Fab in there somewhere.

Come on Reds!!!

Quick Reply