Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v PSG?

Alisson
      39 (46.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (3.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (21.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      James Milner
      5 (6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      15 (17.9%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.2%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Dec 02, 2018 09:55:46 pm

Paris St Germain 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35553 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Paris St Germain 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Nov 28, 2018 11:20:33 pm
      No
      Ok
      Let’s try again and phrase in a clearer way.
      We are in the situation in the Champions League table because we deserve to be. We haven’t performed THIS season consistently well in Europe

OK. But we haven't played in Ukraine THIS season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #737: Nov 28, 2018 11:24:53 pm
      These CL games are just making it more obvious how blunt the midfield are and in effect putting so much more pressure on the front 3 to create something out of nothing like the Mane Penno.

The signs have been there for quite a while.

I was thinking this going back to last season's final. After the passing display Real put on against us last year in Kiev,I was really pleased to see Jürgen move for Fabinho and Fekir (later changed to Shaquiri). Along with Keita that seemed to be the approach to strengthen the area that needed it most to get to make that final upward step. That's not taking away from what Hendo, Milner and Gini did last season, and they are still valuable members of the squad - but clearly Klopp has at some point a bigger role for Fab and Naby in the midfield. They weren't signed to be backups, long-term. Hopefully Naby's performance tonight shows he is pretty close to doing that.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #738: Nov 28, 2018 11:27:00 pm
      One of those games that has me twisted in knots of anguish and frustration.
      Make no mistake, PSG defended superbly, and we had no answer to that. Aided by the fact that we had nobody but Mane making runs in any real hope of being found, and too many “hopeful “ balls to the front 3.
      The ref was dire first half in particular, and the PSG Oscar nominees had him in their pockets. Verratti had to go for the foul on Joe, neymar for endless dives. They clearly set out to upset our rhythm and break the game up by conning the ref and he was so f?(£kin stupid.  Or scared?  God I’m angry.  We looked scared of them first half and terrified they’d counter us in the second.  Our attack has become limited to Salah winning free kicks on the right and Robbo flying up the left to cross it. Where’s the interplay between the forwards? Are they just being smothered?
      Must beat Napoli by two I understand. Let’s make it another night to remember.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #739: Nov 28, 2018 11:27:06 pm
      Would like to see the Keita - Fabinho pairing get a run out soon,
      with effectively a front 4.

Coutinho 1st half of the season & then Ox up until his injury.
      These were the vital link players that we sorely miss now.
      Not signing Fekir was such a big loss.

It's been said enough now, but that 3 of Milner, Wijnaldum, Henderson doesn't have enough creativity in it to beat the better teams. I'm not convinced it's something that Klopp can fix without A) A signing or B) Ox. That said I'd still rather we went out swinging with a front 4 than witness that 1st half again.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #740: Nov 28, 2018 11:29:27 pm
      Could claim we've been getting away with it in the Premier League but getting caught out in the C/L. And if the league results start to reflect our form, well the consequences are to dire to contemplate...still long as we beat Everton..eh..
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #741: Nov 28, 2018 11:29:33 pm
      So f**k knows how you came to the conclusion it is 'unlikely'. Seems 50/50 to me.
      Look at the way we have played tonight, in fact look at the game vs Watford the weekend gone... Yes in the end we won 3-0. But before the first goal did you think. Note I said did you think we would score...?

Napoli is no Watford, and as I eluded to before We are not playing well

50/50 yes, are we likely to, No
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #742: Nov 28, 2018 11:32:07 pm
      OK. But we haven't played in Ukraine THIS season.

Oh. Dear. God.
      Ok, it was Serbia.
      Excuse my tired brain.
      Point remains.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #743: Nov 28, 2018 11:36:59 pm
      One of those games that has me twisted in knots of anguish and frustration.
      Make no mistake, PSG defended superbly, and we had no answer to that. Aided by the fact that we had nobody but Mane making runs in any real hope of being found, and too many “hopeful “ balls to the front 3.
      The ref was dire first half in particular, and the PSG Oscar nominees had him in their pockets. Verratti had to go for the foul on Joe, neymar for endless dives. They clearly set out to upset our rhythm and break the game up by conning the ref and he was so f?(£kin stupid.  Or scared?  God I’m angry.  We looked scared of them first half and terrified they’d counter us in the second.  Our attack has become limited to Salah winning free kicks on the right and Robbo flying up the left to cross it. Where’s the interplay between the forwards? Are they just being smothered?
      Must beat Napoli by two I understand. Let’s make it another night to remember.

I think it's mainly that the only balls they are receiving are mainly over the top 50 - 60 yarders by the defence.

They also have no runners from midfield to open up a bit of space.

Remember last season milner was getting forward a lot, even earlier in the season we had Gini making darting runs into the box.

It seems like Klopp is scared to commit any players forward other than robbo taa if he plays and the forwards.

We don't have any midfielders making a run to distract a defender and make a bit of space for the front three.

As such, the front three are resigned to trying to create their own chances or chase hopeful balls blasted up by the defence.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018 09:20:48 am by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #744: Nov 28, 2018 11:45:09 pm
      If i'm the opposing manager in this game, i would be smiling quietly and telling myself this midfield trio is easy meat. One can't and won't pass the ball fwd, one cannot pass the ball faster, or refused to or asked not to leaving the last player to do all the  work.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #745: Nov 28, 2018 11:46:46 pm
      referee horrific, we were almost as bad.
      PSG are a strange side....but my word mbappe and Neymar when they link up..frightening...shame neymar is a massive tw*t.

have to say feels like this in most games this season.....we are just hardly creating anything! weve become a bit of a weird side.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #746: Nov 28, 2018 11:52:03 pm
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #747: Nov 28, 2018 11:52:37 pm
      I count on Keita to get rolling. Gini is not bad, it's Milner and Hendo who make our game pedestrian. If you can plug in Keita for one of them we're looking a whole lot different. Would still like to see Jürgen to go after Fekir in January, of course.
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #748: Nov 28, 2018 11:59:45 pm

Hendo going sideways or back illustrates the point that if don't feed the flair players, the pacey players they can't influence or create anything. He and others have to have confidence to give the attack the ammo they need.Even if they are marked or only have a yard of space. Possession is 9 tenths of the law...but this isn't a feckin' court room.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #749: Nov 29, 2018 12:04:09 am
      Hendo going sideways or back illustrates the point that if don't feed the flair players, the pacey players they can't influence or create anything. He and others have to have confidence to give the attack the ammo they need.Even if they are marked or only have a yard of space. Possession is 9 tenths of the law...but this isn't a feckin' court room.

Did you see Ndombele yesterday? A masterclass from deep when in possession.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #750: Nov 29, 2018 12:04:42 am
      We have very attack minded players in salah and mane and with those rubbish midfielders not providing them the service, its a matter of time before they want out. It could be as soon as the end of this season because they are heading nowhere. 

On one instance in the game our great captain had possesion of the ball  and a big gap between 2 psg defenders. If he had the balls to slide it to Mane on the left wing unmarked, Mane would be on his way, one against one, against the psg keeper. No, his mine already fecking made up to pass the ball backwards. That's what the supporters are frustrated of. He has regressed over the years. Did anyone noticed he was jogging instead of running most of the time in this game? His passion for the game and stamina perhaps has gone long time ago and the great managers of yesteryears will not allow or tolerate such a player to linger on.

I'm just wondering, is hendo related to any big guns in the director box. Just a wild thought.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018 12:10:53 am by redkop63 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #751: Nov 29, 2018 12:16:37 am
      We have very attack minded players in salah and mane and with those rubbish midfielders not providing them the service, its a matter of time before they want out. It could be as soon as the end of this season because thry are heading nowhere. 

On one instance in the gaje our great captain had possesion of the ball  and a big gap between 2 psg defenders. If he had the balls to slide it to Mane on the left wing unmarked, Mane would be on his way, one against one, against the psg keeper. No, his mine already fecking made up to pass the ball backwards. That's what the supporters are frustrated of. He has regressed over the years. Did anyone noticed he was jogging instead of running most of the time in this game? His passion for the game and stamina perhaps has gone long time ago and the great managers of yesteryears will not allow or tolerate such a player to linger on.

I'm just wondering, is hendo related to any big guns in the director box. Just a wild thought.

I don't mind the odd lapse or two, but it does happen a lot with Hendo, however, it also doesn't help with how cautious we have been when using 3 man midfield setup this season.

What I don't understand is, why wouldn't we use the strengths of our midfielders and have them more involved with our attack by playing higher up the pitch and pressing the F**k out of the opposition early on? There is no better industrial midfield in world football when we have Wijnaldum, Hendo and Milner in midfield, so why not have them play on the front foot and to their strengths instead of being cautious?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #752: Nov 29, 2018 12:17:02 am

That's the examples that have people pulling their hair out on here, or maybe it's Klopp who has instructed him that our attacking play is only too be directed through our fullbacks  :roll:
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #753: Nov 29, 2018 12:21:22 am
      Van Dijk didn't clear the ball for the first. Caught a bit flat footed, bit off balance and played it across his own box they scored from it. The second Alison should've done better but knocked the ball back into play, and again they scored.

But they were much more on it than us in the first half. Did we work hard enough, were we to high against a team with pace who were fired up. They were fighting to stay in the competition and they wanted it more than us. No use complaining about the bookings fact is we didn't work hard enough or realise we had to sit deep and soak it up in the first half. till they ran out of steam. Chased the game throughout the first half. Lost it in that first half and we had the whole of the second half when we were on the front foot. Just did not create enough.
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #754: Nov 29, 2018 12:34:38 am
      Have to reflect on last season and remember that we lost Coutinho. He was a great player for us and provided a great link between mid and the attack. When he left The OX stepped up, Emre Can as well pushed thru midfield creating space and pressure for the front 3 to prosper. Salah in particular.

Ox injured, Can gone. Keita and Fabinho taking time to adjust. Hendo not stepping up from his usual possession obsessed game. Milner, hot & cold. Gini is a very competent midfielder but he doesn't dominate. At least Shaq has injected a note of urgency into the play but he needs a quick moving attack to be effective.

It's definitely the midfield that's misfiring for some of the reasons I have touched on. Going to cost us if it isn't sorted out...soon
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #755: Nov 29, 2018 12:37:03 am
      Jet fuel can't melt steel beams...but Henderson can.

But seriously, I don't see a problem with people criticising Henderson for an inept midfield display. For me the only debate was who was worse - Hendo or Gini? Either way there's problems there against opponents of a high standard which I don't believe they have the capabilities to handle.

There's criticism, and then there's what Henderson gets. He had a poor game today, but then most outfield players did alongside him, but calling him the poorest midfielder in the known multiverse and that he should have been sold 6,000 years ago is a phenomenon unique to the lad. Thing is, when he performs well those same critics never praise him.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #756: Nov 29, 2018 12:42:57 am
      There's criticism, and then there's what Henderson gets. He had a poor game today, but then most outfield players did alongside him, but calling him the poorest midfielder in the known multiverse and that he should have been sold 6,000 years ago is a phenomenon unique to the lad. Thing is, when he performs well those same critics never praise him.

And then there is the obsession with a piece of elastic
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #757: Nov 29, 2018 12:58:30 am
      That's the examples that have people pulling their hair out on here, or maybe it's Klopp who has instructed him that our attacking play is only too be directed through our fullbacks  :roll:
      If people read some of my post you would believe that I love Shaqiri as a player and believe that he is truly a wonderful players...You would be wrong. I believe that he is a great player, and he is our only midfielder who will create chances for the front three because his first though is to look to  play the ball forward, and then his passing is usually quality bang on the money.  He should be starting every game, Henderson should be a squad player from the bench... In fact Both Henderson and Lallana should be sold this summer, Fab' and Keita should be regular starters with Milner and Gini squad players and Look to sign  Rúben Neves from Wolves in the January window. Maybe a part exchange with Lallana or Henderson or both
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #758: Nov 29, 2018 01:35:52 am
      Is there a more detestable player in sports than Neymar? Someone needs to finally give that clown something to really cry about. To think we've had people here defending that cuntface and his theatrics.

Quick Reply