Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

4k TV's - recommendations? Worth it?

Read 5905 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      4k TV's - recommendations? Worth it?
      Dec 03, 2018 02:44:11 pm
      Started looking into getting a new TV. (I'm not an impulse buyer and like to spend ages mulling over the 'stats'!  :f_whistle:)

We've got a 37" plasma TV, about 8 years old - 1080i.

Basically I want to upgrade to a 4K tele and have seen some decent looking TV's around the £300-£400 mark.  I haven't got OLED money, and seeing as the OLED's start at about 55" I don't really have the space in the 'TV corner'.

So just the 4K LED's. Probably 43".

Been looking at the LG range but anybody got any recommendations for 4K teles?  Pros/Cons?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: 4k TV's - recommendations? Worth it?
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2018 02:51:02 pm
      Started looking into getting a new TV. (I'm not an impulse buyer and like to spend ages mulling over the 'stats'!  :f_whistle:)

We've got a 37" plasma TV, about 8 years old - 1080i.

Basically I want to upgrade to a 4K tele and have seen some decent looking TV's around the £300-£400 mark.  I haven't got OLED money, and seeing as the OLED's start at about 55" I don't really have the space in the 'TV corner'.

So just the 4K LED's. Probably 43".

Been looking at the LG range but anybody got any recommendations for 4K teles?  Pros/Cons?

I've got this one in my mancave, hooked up to a PC for footy.
      https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42UB820V

Watched a few films on it but really can't tell the difference in quality over the old LCD HD one I had in there, but as TV's go, I've not had any problems with it, plus it looks quite nice and is easy to use.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2018 02:55:10 pm
      Hardly anything transmitted in 4K so all that marketing guff of future proofing yourself is .......just just guff.

Although personally I would get a Sony or another smart brand that supports the android system.
      So much easier loading apps and Kodi
       ;)

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2018 02:59:05 pm
      Hardly anything transmitted in 4K so all that marketing guff of future proofing yourself is .......just just guff.

Although personally I would get a Sony or another smart brand that supports the android system.
       ;)

That'll be why I don't notice the difference  :laugh:
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2018 03:11:53 pm
      Samsung, Panasonic and LG are basically the best 4K TV brands I think. Sony occasionally have a decent model at a good price too, but those three are the top dogs.

I'm not too up to date on this years models as I worked in the industry a few years ago, so I'd do some research and look at what the big three's best mid range models are at the moment. Sorry I can't really offer pros/cons on specific models, but there's many tech sites which do.

As for whether 4K TV's are actually worth it to you - well it depends. The absolute basics of 4K is simply that you have more pixels on screen (hence more detail) and you have a wider colour range (much much wider range, giving more depth and accuracy to colours on screen). With that said, as HsC has posted, not that much is actually broadcast in 4K yet (and who knows what happens in the future), however there are a few things, particularly if you have Sky Q. A 4K TV will also upscale any other signal it receives, so in theory the picture is better no matter what you're watching or playing. You will absolutely notice a difference if something is encoded 4K or has a 4K signal. HD DVDs, games etc. will all look very good.

If you have a John Lewis near you I would 100% recommend going down to store and seeing if they have any returns or others reduced. As I'm sure you know JL have a very generous returns policy which ends up meaning a lot of the TVs they have out and reduced have absolutely nothing wrong with them. Do check over them properly and get them to plug it in and turn it on etc. but you could pick up a slightly older model at a fraction of the cost, and still have a sales warranty from JL.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2018 03:12:30 pm
      I’ve got the Panasonic 58” 4K..brilliant tv if you got the the sky 4K box,I don’t 😂 otherwise wasting your money..

Great for 4K dvd’s Mind..

LG are the largest manufacturers of Oled screens, so which ever brand you buy rest assured the Oled is provided by LG, even for Apple phones..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2018 03:36:10 pm
      I can highly recommend Samsung MU6400 40-Inch SMART Ultra HD TV. Really fantastic picture quality.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Dec 03, 2018 07:33:27 pm

Think they connect wirelessly to your android phone so you can view such apps... 😉
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2018 07:37:04 pm
      With that said, as HsC has posted, not that much is actually broadcast in 4K yet (and who knows what happens in the future), however there are a few things, particularly if you have Sky Q.

I haven't got sky but have got netflix and i think you can get BT footy in uhd. Cheers for info about JL.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2018 07:39:50 pm
      I can highly recommend Samsung MU6400 40-Inch SMART Ultra HD TV. Really fantastic picture quality.

Nice looking tele. Slightly over what i want to spend mind.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2018 07:42:43 pm
      I've got this one in my mancave, hooked up to a PC for footy.
      https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42UB820V

What's the sound like? Do you have to get a sound bar?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Dec 04, 2018 01:46:31 pm
      What's the sound like? Do you have to get a sound bar?

Sound is OK.

I have 5:1 surround set up, but unhooked it this morning to test the normal sound, and it seems fine.
      As ever, the sound presets are a bit sh*t, and it pays to have a fiddle and get it how you want it.
      The "virtual surround" isn't great compared to real surround, but it fills the room and dialogue is clear on the presets.
      Sports mode is a bit tinny with speech, movie mode is a bit heavy on effects and light on speech but still able to hear it fine.

Personally, I'd still get a sound bar, but it's perfectly adequate using inbuilt sound.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #12: Dec 05, 2018 05:11:35 am
      You wanna wait a few months until the next batch of new TVs start getting released and the current ones that are super expensive drop in price.

The only real current use for one is 4K gaming tbh, even most of the 4K Netflix stuff is just normal HD material upsampled, so it won’t blow you away on a 4K tv still.

You want to look at getting a 4K tv with HDR 10 for future proofing. A lot of the cheaper ones say they have HDR, but it’s not the full one.... HDR is what really makes a 4K TV pop! So have a little research into what HDR is and what the difference between Full HDR 10 is and the HDR you find on the cheaper sets out right now....

So yeah I’d wait until the decent 4K HDR 10 sets come down in price.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #13: Jan 20, 2022 11:11:29 pm
      Finally got round to upgrading my old Sony Bravia HD set.

After a lot of research I went for the Hisense A7G.

Seemed to offer the best all round capabilities for my budget and honestly I've been blown away by the quality of this.

£450 for QLED with some HDR capability, albeit not top class, is unreal value.

Have to still fiddle around with the settings for normal Sky HD but playing 4K videos on YouTube and the quality of the picture has surpassed my expectations.

Throw in Dolby Atmos as well and adding my soundbar and I'm over the moon.

Quick Reply