Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson
      22 (18%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      12 (9.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      James Milner
      17 (13.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      63 (51.6%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (3.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Dec 09, 2018 09:38:51 pm

Burnley 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28875 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Burnley 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Dec 06, 2018 01:11:07 pm
      So maybe this JĆ¼rgen bloke knows a thing or two about rotation and resting players
      Break through only came after substitution were made, it could be argued that the rotation failed...
      Not saying it did,I only saw the match from the 55 minute, and was watching it on a stream that kept buffing in and out, but that point could be argued...
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #622: Dec 06, 2018 01:17:27 pm
      Although, part of the plan with the rotation was to bring on Salah and Firmino in any case.

Origi was never going to be playing a full match, and probably not Moreno either. So, players got the rest they needed, and we got the 3 points. Sure, it was a bit touch and go, and could have gone either way, but we lived through it, survived the scares, and sometimes that's the best we can do.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #623: Dec 06, 2018 01:18:25 pm
      Break through only came after substitution were made, it could be argued that the rotation failed...
      Not saying it did,I only saw the match from the 55 minute, and was watching it on a stream that kept buffing in and out, but that point could be argued...

Rotation only fails if we failed to win the match, we won & the Boss got his subs spot on too...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #624: Dec 06, 2018 01:21:22 pm

7 changes only 3 subs and it was Virgil who set up the Bobby  goal and Milner scoring the first and Shaq the third this was every bit a justification of Jurgens changes and we get the benefit in having given some players a well earned rest.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #625: Dec 06, 2018 01:29:29 pm
      Rotation only fails if we failed to win the match, we won & the Boss got his subs spot on too...
      Yeah true... should have said the starting line up. Was just being facetious. Didn't see enough for the game to form an opinion on it as a whole, hence hardly any comments
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #626: Dec 06, 2018 01:37:41 pm
      Lets not kid ourselves, not 2 years ago we would have bottled this game after going 1-0 down, but it shows how far we have come to grind out these types of game and being able to score in 90+ mins, which keeps pressure on City.

Next 6 games could prove interesting.

CITY                                                                  US

Chelsea (A)                                                Bournemouth (A)

Everton  (H)                                            Manchester United (H)

Crystal Palace (H)                               Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)

Leicester (A)                                             Newcastle United (H)

Southampton  (A)                                             Arsenal (H)

I predict City will get 12 points       We will get   15 points

Man City V Liverpool

We have it in us to beat these teams.

YNWA

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #627: Dec 06, 2018 01:43:14 pm
      First half was fairly crap, much better second half but I was abit nervous after they scored, just felt like it could be one of those nights against one of our old bogey teams but we are much better these days, more belief and heart plus skill.

Bournemouth next then Napoli and then Manure, who we owe a damn good hiding, plus Maureen doesn't have a bus any more.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #628: Dec 06, 2018 01:44:03 pm

Breakthrough was before the changes
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #629: Dec 06, 2018 01:45:04 pm
      'The real reason' behind JĆ¼rgen Klopp and Sean Dyche's heated exchange after Liverpool beat Burnley
      JĆ¼rgen Klopp and Burnley manager Sean Dyche were involved in a heated exchange at full-time at Turf Moor last night after Liverpool's 3-1 win.

National newspapers are suggesting it was because the Burnley boss was angry at his opponentā€™s behaviour throughout the match.

The Reds did things the hard way, coming from behind to win 3-1, thanks to goals from James Milner, Roberto Firmino and Xherdan Shaqiri.

But manager Klopp became embroiled in a post-game spat with opposite number Sean Dyche as the two sides left the field at the end of the game.

Speaking after the clash, Dyche was asked about the incident but sarcastically replied: ā€œI just said: ā€˜well doneā€™.ā€

But according to the Mirror, the real reason Dyche was unhappy with Klopp was down to the German constantly voicing his complaints to fourth official Mike Dean.

But Klopp made no attempt to hide his frustration with what he perceived as excessive physicality from Burnley, believing referee Stuart Atwell should have done more to protect his side.

ā€œI said to the referee after the first sliding tackle [made] over six or seven yards, when he got the ball and everyone liked it: ā€˜Please, tell them they cannot do thatā€™ā€, said Klopp.

ā€œIt wasnā€™t a foul but they cannot do that. Itā€™s like bowling because then four or five times it happened. Joe is injured and probably not only a little bit.

ā€œAggression is a part of football but be careful. Sliding over six or seven yards: these times are over. Usually someone will not let you do that.

ā€œWe all want to win and you can choose different ways but someone needs to say: ā€˜Stop doing thatā€™. Make two more steps and then you are in a normal challenge.

ā€œDonā€™t go five yards before you see the player when the grass is wet. Itā€™s unlucky what happened to Joe but the referees have to make sure it doesnā€™t happen consistently. Thatā€™s not how it should be.ā€

Link
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #630: Dec 06, 2018 02:24:29 pm
      Massive three points away from home after the craziness of Sunday. Thought the first half was similar to how we've played there before - possession and no penetration. The front three just couldn't hold on to the ball most of the time and most of the game was played in the middle third. Second half we seemed to quicken the pace a bit, and started to play a little better - used the width and half space more. In the end a well deserved victory and whilst it wasn't a superb performance throughout, you don't win 3-1 away in the Premiership playing terribly. We at least controlled most of the game, took our clearest chances and fortunately have a top class keeper to fall back on if necessary.

Thought Keita had by far his most complete and best performance for us, did well defensively with a few blocks and tackles, and we finally saw the best example of what he can bring going forward - driving past people, opening up opportunities to pass or take a shot on himself. So important to commit defenders when they play deep as Burnley did. Can't wait for him to settle a bit more and find his way into the first XI, pocket battleship he is ;D

Hopefully Joe's ankle doesn't keep him out for too long. Hated seeing him down after his injury history - fingers crossed for him.

Overall, after a crazy weekend it was brilliant to grind out - in the end - a comfortable win away from home at a team we've struggled against in the past. Onwards and upwards!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #631: Dec 06, 2018 02:32:30 pm

I don't think the rotation failed in that when the big players came on we were still in the game and went on to win it. But at 1-0 down, if the team had stayed the same i don't think we win the game.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #632: Dec 06, 2018 02:37:48 pm
      I don't think the rotation failed in that when the big players came on we were still in the game and went on to win it. But at 1-0 down, if the team had stayed the same i don't think we win the game.

In fairness it was 1-1 when they came on so I think thatā€™s a mis-direct mate........weā€™d been comfortably the best team to that point whilst (unsurprisingly) not especially fluent.

Only downside Gomez for me but that couldā€™ve happened if he was playing CB just looked like he rolled his ankle under a challenge.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #633: Dec 06, 2018 02:38:53 pm
      In fairness it was 1-1 when they came on so I think thatā€™s a mis-direct mate........weā€™d been comfortably the best team to that point whilst (unsurprisingly) not especially fluent.

Only downside Gomez for me but that couldā€™ve happened if he was playing CB just looked like he rolled his ankle under a challenge.

If at 1-1 the team stayed the same i don't think we win it either.

This isn't a bad squad on its own but when you are holding it up against City's billions boys it's going to be tough and these 3 game weeks will hinder us a lot more than it will them.

That's the only reason I'd have them as favourites for the title. They just have the never ending squad that we don't.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #634: Dec 06, 2018 02:46:20 pm
      If at 1-1 the team stayed the same i don't think we win it either.

This isn't a bad squad on its own but when you are holding it up against City's billions boys it's going to be tough and these 3 game weeks will hinder us a lot more than it will them.

That's the only reason I'd have them as favourites for the title. They just have the never ending squad that we don't.

Fair enough - I thought we lost a wee bit of a freak goal but were playing pretty well with a changed side.

I think we still grind out a win but weā€™ll never know.

Either way great result and valuable exercise.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #635: Dec 06, 2018 02:58:03 pm
      What a match and reaction after their goal. MOTM Keita, Alisson and even Matip.

Brilliant goals as well. Milner was good. We did not match their physical strength but we 'coped'.

Hope that Gomez is fine!

Keep us dreaming! YNWA
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #636: Dec 06, 2018 03:35:37 pm
      What a match and reaction after their goal. MOTM Keita, Alisson and even Matip.

Brilliant goals as well. Milner was good. We did not match their physical strength but we 'coped'.

Hope that Gomez is fine!

Keep us dreaming! YNWA

Did you go to the match ? Matip was anaemic at best especially first half and did a fairly good impression of  new born giraffe
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #637: Dec 06, 2018 03:47:14 pm
      Did you go to the match ? Matip was anaemic at best especially first half and did a fairly good impression of  new born giraffe

I totally disagree! He made very good interceptions. He read the game well and won many headers. He lacks pace but was solid.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #638: Dec 06, 2018 03:54:01 pm
      I totally disagree! He made very good interceptions. He read the game well and won many headers. He lacks pace but was solid.

I agree.

Was better than Virgil in first half - who was off it a bit (for him) in my opinion.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #639: Dec 06, 2018 04:07:50 pm
      So do we know what the baldey said to jk at the end?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #640: Dec 06, 2018 04:13:39 pm
      I agree.

Was better than Virgil in first half - who was off it a bit (for him) in my opinion.

Exactly!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #641: Dec 06, 2018 04:17:52 pm
      No exaggeration, this is our biggest win of the season.

There are moments throughout the season when it doesn't really matter how we play and it's not something to be worried or concerned about, we just have to get the points no matter what, and last night was one of those games.

The pace City are setting is just insane and as soon as we drop points I feel the title race could be over. It's essential that we stay with them because sooner or later they WILL feel the pressure. Their win at Watford meant we had to get three points last night.

Seeing the starting line up I was very worried in truth. Making 7 changes and going to a midweek game at turf moor in the cold and wet I wasn't confident. It doesn't matter what burnleys current form is, they always make it difficult because they just suck any life or fun out of football. They make the game incredibly boring which then makes it incredibly frustrating for a team like us who wants to play.

The first 45 mins is probably the worst football I've seen this season from anyone. We weren't great by any means, but as mentioned above Burnley are a large part to blame in that.

Second half starts and even though their goal was a bit of a shambles, it may have been a blessing in disguise because I felt we upped our game after that and went through the gears.

We deservedly scored three good goals (especially the last) and came off the pitch victorious. It was a massive win that, absolutely huge, and JĆ¼rgen and the boys should be very proud of themselves. It was essential we got the points and we did. Dare I say it, it was a typical champions-like win. We didn't play great no, but we went to a tough ground with a weakened team and still put three past them and came away with the points.

Two special mentions. First to Alisson who could have done a lot better for their goal and if that had been either migs or Karius we would have all be going mental, but overall he had yet another solid display and his save at the end just before we finished the game off with our third was truly world class. He is worth every penny we paid for him he's incredible.

The second is for naby Keita. I've spent a lot of time on this forum alone banging my drum saying this boy is the real deal and he will be a massive player for us. I'm not quite sure why he can't get into the team at the moment because once again I felt he showed that he is head and shoulders above any other midfielder we have. He's in a different league.

Fantastic win lads, I'm absolutely buzzing. Call me Einstein but the secret is just keep winning. Now we move on to Bournemouth.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #642: Dec 06, 2018 04:27:31 pm
      Questions for anyone wanting to answer (Please remember I only saw the game starting in the 55 minute; so this is no trick question) I am getting the feel here Burnley gave the back four a hard time, so questions:-...

a)Do you feel that It was down to playing Milner,and Henderson together that invited more pressure on to the back four...?

b)Or just as a whole we were weak in the midfield (Nothing to do with Henderson a Milner)

c) Back four played poor...?

Not had a chance to see a replay as yet
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #643: Dec 06, 2018 04:38:22 pm
      Questions for anyone wanting to answer (Please remember I only saw the game starting in the 55 minute; so this is no trick question) I am getting the feel here Burnley gave the back four a hard time, so questions:-...

a)Do you feel that It was down to playing Milner,and Henderson together that invited more pressure on to the back four...?

b)Or just as a whole we were weak in the midfield (Nothing to do with Henderson a Milner)

c) Back four played poor...?

Not had a chance to see a replay as yet

They had one tactic which was to rough us up and we sort of coped with it but as witnessed by their first goal Trent could not deal with the lump who was too strong for him and unlike some of the comments on here I don't think Matip coped very well with the physicality of Ashley Barnes so was a relief when he went off.

Just ale house tactics really.

Quick Reply