Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson
      22 (18%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      12 (9.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      James Milner
      17 (13.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Naby Keïta
      63 (51.6%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (3.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Dec 09, 2018 09:38:51 pm

Burnley 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28856 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Burnley 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Dec 06, 2018 04:43:27 pm
      Questions for anyone wanting to answer (Please remember I only saw the game starting in the 55 minute; so this is no trick question) I am getting the feel here Burnley gave the back four a hard time, so questions:-...

a)Do you feel that It was down to playing Milner,and Henderson together that invited more pressure on to the back four...?

b)Or just as a whole we were weak in the midfield (Nothing to do with Henderson a Milner)

c) Back four played poor...?

Not had a chance to see a replay as yet

Making 7 changes to the line up will usually cause some sort on problems for any team in the world..

City faced similar against West Ham after making changes to their complete back 4,midfield & strikers..

So answer to your question, it had nothing to do with playing Henderson,Milner together, the latter scored the equaliser & let’s not forget that Henderson & Milner were part of the midfield that had taken us to 2 European finals & played teams off the park last season..

So any change in our play was purely down to integrating players to the team..
      « Last Edit: Dec 06, 2018 04:56:54 pm by Shabs »
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #645: Dec 06, 2018 07:17:14 pm
      .So answer to your question, it had nothing to do with playing Henderson,Milner together, the latter scored the equaliser & let’s not forget that Henderson & Milner were part of the midfield that had taken us to 2 European finals & played teams off the park last season..

Shabs as I said it was not a trick question, nor am I following an agenda...
      And yes as you so rightly pointed out both Henderson and Milner took us to two European final... Did see the equalizer and thier goal but got the feeling that prior to thier first goal plenty had occurred and just wanted peoples thoughts on it

Thanks for yours
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #646: Dec 06, 2018 07:17:54 pm
      They had one tactic which was to rough us up and we sort of coped with it but as witnessed by their first goal Trent could not deal with the lump who was too strong for him and unlike some of the comments on here I don't think Matip coped very well with the physicality of Ashley Barnes so was a relief when he went off.

Just ale house tactics really.

Thanks HScRed1
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #647: Dec 06, 2018 08:02:15 pm
      Joe out until at least Feb., according to official site .
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #648: Dec 06, 2018 08:40:36 pm
      Quote from Scottbot
      Was tricky because he was going one way and the Burnley player was right in front and had flick at the ball (but missed it) hence the first touch, he did then get his hands On the ball but didn’t quite gather it and had it kicked out of his mitts. I wouldn’t put the blame on him, in truth if TAA has stepped up the lad blocking his view would have been off side

If you want someone to blame, the lino is the one responsible, because that goal should have been ruled out for offside. VAR would have done that, no sweat. Could have cost us two or more points.

Usual kick and rush fare in that rotting dump, hasn't seen a lick of paint in years. Apparantly, I hear some of the seats are still made of wood. For some reason, the fixture list always seems to send us there around this time of year, when the weather is schiedt, our resources are stretched, and the game is awful to watch, which it was again, for at least an hour. With no goal scored by us before half time in any of the past 7 visits to Burnley, I wasn't expecting a goalfest this time either, which didn't materialise. Funny though that none of our past 5 trips there have been shown live by the broadcasters. Both of them love showing our away games, but obviously they must hate the kip as much as I do. So it's off to the pub to watch the game live then, with no sound, no commentary, and blaring music in the background.

No surprise then that the tackles were flying in, and that someone was going to come off worst. Losing Joe is a huge blow, not in the short term perhaps, but we have big games coming up and his cb partnership will now have to be broken up.

Not much more to say really until the ghost goal was scored, when an already difficult task was made twice as hard. I could see the headlines, and the posts here about the result, without even having to look at them, but credit to the lads and Jürgen, within 15 minutes we had repaired the damage. With all the changes made though, just seeing the game out was not really an option, so we looked for more goals and should have scored more. Then that corner came in, of course we don't put players on posts for corners, so there was mayhem in the box. Eventually the ball was sent towards the top corner and Alisson somehow saved the day. That is a world class match winning save and you will seriously struggle to see a better timed one for us this season. Then he set up the insurance goal and finally we could take a well earned breather. It's the first time we've come from behind to win in 8 months, so this was a big one as we had to dig deep to get it.

Last year, we would fly out of the blocks and destroy the opposition in the first half. This year, we're saving all our firepower up for the second half, with only three first half goals in the league since beating Southampton. But we are managing games well, so the 10 minute brainfades that followed goals last year are not happening anymore. The goal at Chelsea is still the only goal against us in the first half this season.

So we're halfway to equalling the unbeaten record from 1988, and on course to go top of the league again at the weekend. Even if it's just for a few hours, it will give City something to think about, and remind the fruitcakes in the media who dismiss the title race as a City cakewalk, that there's plenty more football to be played before anything is decided in this title race.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #649: Dec 06, 2018 08:50:40 pm
      I totally disagree! He made very good interceptions. He read the game well and won many headers. He lacks pace but was solid.

He won headers ? Would be a travesty if he didn't at 6ft5 whatever he is . His distribution was awful and believe me there is a reason we got him on a free gone backwards ever since he came
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #650: Dec 06, 2018 08:53:13 pm
      I agree.

Was better than Virgil in first half - who was off it a bit (for him) in my opinion.

VVD might not of been on it but was still ahead of Matip My Lord watch it again
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #651: Dec 06, 2018 08:57:31 pm
      VVD might not of been on it but was still ahead of Matip My Lord watch it again

It’s just a view fella. I thought he had a decent game. No he doesn’t visually inspire confidence the way he Lopez but I thought he was good.

Virgil was very poor in the first half for me - has had a few ropier spells recently -and I’m a huge fan.

You don’t rate Joel that’s cool. I’m not a huge fan but he can do a job.

rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #652: Dec 06, 2018 09:00:11 pm
      It’s just a view fella. I thought he had a decent game. No he doesn’t visually inspire confidence the way he Lopez but I thought he was good.

Virgil was very poor in the first half for me - has had a few ropier spells recently -and I’m a huge fan.

You don’t rate Joel that’s cool. I’m not a huge fan but he can do a job.

The fact that he was there probably had an impact on him looks so much better when he has Joe next to him
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #653: Dec 06, 2018 09:05:23 pm
      The fact that he was there probably had an impact on him looks so much better when he has Joe next to him

I think Virgil’s biggest enemy is complacency - it really is that easy for him at times.

It’s all but eliminated from his game (I saw him do it at Celtic a few times) but there’s just been a few wee moments since the Arsenal game for me.

Only a detour to very very very good from exceptional like, hardly a crisis. In fairness it probably does coincide with a bit more rotation from the gaffer.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #654: Dec 06, 2018 10:02:00 pm
      I think Virgil’s biggest enemy is complacency - it really is that easy for him at times.

It’s all but eliminated from his game (I saw him do it at Celtic a few times) but there’s just been a few wee moments since the Arsenal game for me.

Only a detour to very very very good from exceptional like, hardly a crisis. In fairness it probably does coincide with a bit more rotation from the gaffer.

Think Koeman alluded to that didn't he so laid back it's untrue but such a good footballer some crossfield balls he played were quality . Think he is the type of CB who needs familiarity alongside him though
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #655: Dec 06, 2018 10:14:06 pm
      Hasn't Virgil got two assists now in two games?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #656: Dec 06, 2018 10:20:29 pm

Yup.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #657: Dec 07, 2018 03:09:50 am
      Did you go to the match ? Matip was anaemic at best especially first half and did a fairly good impression of  new born giraffe

Totally agree, was calling for him never to play for us again after the 1st half, he gave away the ball so many times when under no pressure and then he stood there flat footed and watched the Burnley fella poke that goal home. No reactions at all till it was in the back of the net.

Anyways get the F**k in...another 3 points.

I'm of the belief now that even if the other Team score, it's not going to be long till we get that goal back. Loving that feeling. Doesn't mean I wasn't cursing and swearing until we equalized though.  :angel:

Gutted for Joe and for us. Get well soon Joe.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #658: Dec 07, 2018 10:12:40 am
      A very big risk taken by Jürgen but a risk i thought was justified due to the amount of games we have coming up over the festive period. It nearly backfired in the end but at least we had the big guns on standby to pull us out of the sh*t. What this game did prove was that we still don't have the squad depth to sustain an assault on all four fronts for an entire Season.

Matip and Moreno looked out of their depth against a very dishevelled Burnley side. The biggest disappointment of the night was the injury to Joe Gomez, out for up to 6 weeks and a big dent in the defensive armour we have built over the last few months. The only issue i have with the team selection of Klopp is when he moves Gomez out of central defence and plays him at right back. I'm not saying he wouldn't have got the injury had he been playing in his usual position. It has taken a long time to build this solid defensive unit and they are still learning to play together and build solid foundations. Gomez and van Dijk are our strongest centre back pairing by a country mile, there is nobody else that comes even close. Why does Klopp do this? It annoys me greatly and is disruptive to the formative development of our defensive unit.  :mad:

Other than that i am happy with how our Season is going so far, very happy. Keita looked good and Shaqiri is proving to be a little gem, he thinks quickly and is keen to go forward at every given opportunity. Thought Becker had a good game too, so refreshing to have a man between the sticks who is commanding. That quick throw out for the Shaqiri goal, class. Cracking goal from Milner too, mister reliable.

Onwards to Bournemouth.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #659: Dec 07, 2018 01:03:53 pm
      VvD can be the Andy Carroll of the squad but with actual foot skills
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #660: Dec 07, 2018 05:20:42 pm
      VvD can be the Andy Carroll of the squad but with actual foot skills

Bad, bad comparison!!

VVD is a top quality player, Carroll's a lame carthorse.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #661: Dec 07, 2018 06:14:36 pm
      Bad, bad comparison!!

VVD is a top quality player, Carroll's a lame carthorse.

The thing is, if Carroll put as much effort into training as he does into partying, I reckon he could have become a top player.

A bit too late now though for the lad to sort out his priorities.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #662: Dec 07, 2018 08:33:35 pm
      I thought it was a very satisfying performance in the 2nd half, falling a goal down after Hart made that great save on Keita minutes before but we kept going on and after we scored 1st goal we really turn the screws on them (though Burnley are a very fragile side atm) and we were clinical in our chances. Risky on Klopp part with so many changes to the side but reality it needed to be done and we were able to collect all the points and we are going to fight Citeh we are going to need more wins like this when we play a lot of squad players.

Quick Reply