Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

December News Stories

Read 415 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      December News Stories
      Dec 11, 2018 03:28:47 pm
      These are supposed to be the best trained cops in america,https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nypd-brooklyn-mother-baby_us_5c0e7d3fe4b08bcb27eaa254.The whole thing is so fu**ed up.
      « Last Edit: Dec 11, 2018 03:31:55 pm by racerx34 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Re: December News Stories
      Reply #1: Dec 11, 2018 03:56:24 pm

Holy sh*t!!
      The good thing about it is (if there is any saving grace), they didn't shoot her or the baby.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #2: Dec 11, 2018 04:17:02 pm
      I wanted to move to the States in my early teens, believed in the American dream and all that, I look at the States now & think what has it become..

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #3: Dec 11, 2018 04:32:15 pm
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #4: Dec 11, 2018 05:26:31 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #5: Dec 14, 2018 11:20:57 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #6: Dec 19, 2018 05:04:07 pm
      Looks like the Kurds are gonna get fu**ed again.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46623617.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2018 11:43:34 am
      "Mad Dog" Mattis has resigned in protest to Trump pulling out of Syria. Russia welcomes the move - I bet they do.

Tories have cleared half head  Boris Johnson describing Johnson's remarks calling Muslim women who wear Burkas "Letter boxes" and " Bank robbers"....as...wait for it...wait for it...." respectful and Tolerant"....haa..ha ha..absolute bollocks..
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2018 04:05:40 pm
      "Mad Dog" Mattis has resigned in protest to Trump pulling out of Syria. Russia welcomes the move - I bet they do.

Tories have cleared half head  Boris Johnson describing Johnson's remarks calling Muslim women who wear Burkas "Letter boxes" and " Bank robbers"....as...wait for it...wait for it...." respectful and Tolerant"....haa..ha ha..absolute bollocks..
      so if Johnson can say it does that mean everybody can?
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,862 posts | 2284 
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2018 04:13:23 pm

They do look like letter boxes though, or do you not think so? I agree it is a bit offensive but then I find it offensive that Woman are ordered by a religion to walk around covered up head to foot.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #10: Dec 21, 2018 04:26:47 pm
      They do look like letter boxes though, or do you not think so? I agree it is a bit offensive but then I find it offensive that Woman are ordered by a religion to walk around covered up head to foot.

I find it offensive than men can’t respect the wishes of women who choose to wear such garments...I suppose when your trying to win votes, going after the easy target may gain you support from such quarters..

& no they f**king don’t look like letter boxes, you ignorant person.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #11: Dec 21, 2018 04:49:11 pm
      Some countries, including Muslim majority countries have banned the burka. It's not banned in UK right now. It's an optional part of the religion but I do think the legality of it should be reviewed. There are specific security concerns. Hospitals have banned them in some roles to ensure people don't falsely impersonate a doctor for example and it's impossible to think of everything that could cause a concern for security. People aren't targeting the Burqa, it's any item that covers the face and there are a lot of Muslims who are against the Burqa. Some non Muslim fugitives could even pose in such clothes to avoid being detected. Johnson's comments were insensitive but I don't think anybody should be able to wear whatever they want, several people in other countries have been jailed for wearing too little, when here it's seen as acceptable. We are more tolerant as a nation in general to other cultures. The rules regarding religious clothing were before security concerns got like they are now, the laws should be in line with risks. Why should innocent people be at risk just to accommodate other people's ways?
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2018 04:53:15 pm by Ribapuru »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,570 posts | 2581 
      Reply #12: Dec 21, 2018 05:22:24 pm
      That the burka is a topic of debate regarding security (let’s ban hats, glasses and beards eh?) or open to the blatantly bigoted malevolence of Johnson only shows how successful the insidious poison spread by Farage and cronies are.

Sometimes sections of this island really f***in’ depress me.

Utterly paranoid about those who are different = bigotry / racist. If you recognise that on yourself - call it or shut the f**k up you’re just polluting the environment more criminally that any fossil fuel.
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2018 05:58:23 pm by Scotia »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #13: Dec 21, 2018 05:25:28 pm
      Where has the post gone commenting on the ridiculous way Sharia women are forced to dress?
      The religious attire is banned in some countries in Europe because it is a security risk and the subject has come up for scrutiny in this country.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #14: Dec 21, 2018 05:30:37 pm
      Where has the post gone commenting on the ridiculous way Sharia women are forced to dress?
      The religious attire is banned in some countries in Europe because it is a security risk and the subject has come up for scrutiny in this country.

Sharia women?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #15: Dec 21, 2018 06:00:04 pm
      That the burka is a topic of debate regarding security (let’s ban hats, glasses and beards eh?) or open to the blatantly bigoted ignorance of Johnson only shows how successful the insidious poison spread by Farage and cronies are.

Sometimes sections of this island really f***in’ depress me.

Utterly paranoid about those who are different = bigotry / racist. If you recognise that on yourself - call it or shut the f**k up you’re just polluting the environment more criminally that any fossil fuel.
      Scotia, the items you listed aren't fully face covering. There's nothing racist about wanting to know who you are walking past on broad daylight. Burqa is banned in below;

Austria, Denmark, France, Belgium, Tajikistan, Latvia, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, Gabon, Netherlands, China and Morocco.

Are you calling these countries institutionally racist? They obviously have people accessing the situation in more detail than Scotia of the LFCreds forum who has a potty mouth. Who are you to take people freedom to have an opinion away that it's a security concern? It's not paranoia at all if governments in multiple nations had to act.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,570 posts | 2581 
      Reply #16: Dec 21, 2018 06:03:01 pm
      Scotia, the items you listed aren't fully face covering. There's nothing racist about wanting to know who you are walking past on broad daylight. Burqa is banned in below;

Austria, Denmark, France, Belgium, Tajikistan, Latvia, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, Gabon, Netherlands, China and Morocco.

Are you calling these countries institutionally racist? They obviously have people accessing the situation in more detail than Scotia of the LFCreds forum who has a potty mouth.

It is and they are either have racist / bigotry issues or are authoritarian.

Google that - none are good.

Not looking to derail another thread Ribs by debating something you patently don’t understand - like football - so regrettably I’m putting you back on ignore.

Good luck to you. We just can’t get along.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #17: Dec 21, 2018 06:05:01 pm

Bigot is the belief they are better or know better than everybody else, this is you believing over a dozen countries are racist.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #18: Dec 21, 2018 06:13:33 pm

I know.   :roll:

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Burqa is more cultural than religious, as is the headscarf.
      I can't remember anything in the Koran that says they are compulsory, although if I remember correctly there is a kind of rule about "dressing modestly" which interestingly is also part of the veneration of the Virgin Mary.
      There are plenty of cultures in Judaism and Christianity where women wear headscarfs as well.

A free society means women, and men, dressing however they want, as long as it's within the law.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2018 06:16:36 pm

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Burqa is more cultural than religious, as is the headscarf.
      I can't remember anything in the Koran that says they are compulsory, although if I remember correctly there is a kind of rule about "dressing modestly" which interestingly is also part of the veneration of the Virgin Mary.
      There are plenty of cultures in Judaism and Christianity where women wear headscarfs as well.

A free society means women, and men, dressing however they want, as long as it's within the law.
      i fully agree with this, whatever laws are set should be respected and countries where it is illegal to wear gear that covers face are concerned about security, that's not racism.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,570 posts | 2581 
      Reply #20: Dec 21, 2018 06:17:21 pm

And any rejection of that mate panders to racism, bigotry or belies authoritarianism.

Rejection of something because your afraid of it IS the root of almost all prejudice.

It’s not that hard to understand.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #21: Dec 21, 2018 06:22:15 pm
      And any rejection of that mate panders to racism, bigotry or belies authoritarianism.

Rejection of something because your afraid of it IS the root of almost all prejudice.

It’s not that hard to understand.

Indeed.
      In places where the government dictates how people dress, there is clearly something wrong with the law, not the people who dress a particular way.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #22: Dec 21, 2018 06:24:26 pm
      Indeed.
      In places where the government dictates how people dress, there is clearly something wrong with the law, not the people who dress a particular way.
      What about where westerners have been prosecuted for wearing items in some Asian countries that are acceptable to wear in UK then?
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2018 06:56:51 pm by Ribapuru »
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #23: Dec 21, 2018 06:27:44 pm

Spot on mate..

In the Old Testament it clearly states women should cover their hair and dress modestly..

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #24: Dec 21, 2018 06:32:19 pm
      Spot on mate..

In the Old Testament it clearly states women should cover their hair and dress modestly..

Thank f**k my memory is working today.

I shall solve that later with wine.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #25: Dec 21, 2018 06:36:23 pm
      Spot on mate..

modestly is open to interpretation. Who is any one person to decide what is modest.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #26: Dec 21, 2018 06:36:48 pm
      modestly is open to interpretation. Who is any one person to decide what is modest.

Irony... 😂
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #27: Dec 21, 2018 06:51:02 pm

Not that it makes an iota of difference which sect of Islam demands that women have no identity it illustrates how far from reality some sections of religious direction can be.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #28: Dec 21, 2018 06:52:03 pm
      My final question is, why is it okay to ban above knee skirts or Jean shorts etc.. in some Asian countries, but as soon as some countries ban Burqa that's viewed as racism? Surely either both are racist or neither are. Burqa is about modesty because it's not directly related to any religion.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #29: Dec 21, 2018 06:56:46 pm
      Spot on mate..

.....and should they lead the donkeys bearing their menfolk?
      How far back do you want to reverse civilisation?

Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #30: Dec 21, 2018 07:12:15 pm
      .....and should they lead the donkeys bearing their menfolk?
      How far back do you want to reverse civilisation?

You will find we have regressed as a civilisation when it comes to morals & modesty..

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #31: Dec 21, 2018 07:24:53 pm
      You will find we have regressed as a civilisation when it comes to morals & modesty..

That's the way of secular societies and freedom though mate.
      What you lose on one hand, you gain on the other.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #32: Dec 21, 2018 07:35:23 pm

If ya believe that sh*t weren't adam and eve nudists and didn't everyone f**k their relatives?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #33: Dec 21, 2018 11:09:40 pm

But I'm not a public figure...Ex foreign secretary, Johnson's stupid snide comments led to Muslim women taking all kinds of insults. I agree that women must not be forced to wear any garment they don't want to. But that doesn't entitle anybody to abuse them and call them " bank robbers"...and then have The Conservative party, a party that represents millions of decent hard working people, say Johnson was being tolerant. Akin to adding insult to injury.
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2018 11:44:57 pm by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #34: Dec 21, 2018 11:13:20 pm
      so if Johnson can say it does that mean everybody can?

People have been led by Johnson and insulted Muslim Women. If Tommy Robinson had said what Johnson said all hell would've broke loose and he would've been arrested for hate crime.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #35: Dec 21, 2018 11:31:25 pm
      Some countries, including Muslim majority countries have banned the burka. It's not banned in UK right now. It's an optional part of the religion but I do think the legality of it should be reviewed. There are specific security concerns. Hospitals have banned them in some roles to ensure people don't falsely impersonate a doctor for example and it's impossible to think of everything that could cause a concern for security. People aren't targeting the Burqa, it's any item that covers the face and there are a lot of Muslims who are against the Burqa. Some non Muslim fugitives could even pose in such clothes to avoid being detected. Johnson's comments were insensitive but I don't think anybody should be able to wear whatever they want, several people in other countries have been jailed for wearing too little, when here it's seen as acceptable. We are more tolerant as a nation in general to other cultures. The rules regarding religious clothing were before security concerns got like they are now, the laws should be in line with risks. Why should innocent people be at risk just to accommodate other people's ways?

I agree the Burka does cause security concerns in some lines of employment and in some sensitive circumstances but is it right for such a public figure to get away with outright insults that incited others to make similar insults in situations that could be threatening.

Just about sums up the hypocrisy of the Tory Party. They get their nickers in a twist over Corbyn having the gall to mutter a fairly innocuous remark yet May & her mob imprison innocent people and boot them out and then accommodate a stupid fat headed ignorant lout such as Johnson. He is the one who should be deported. Swop him for Zaghari-Ratcliffe....let him rot in Iran...see how he likes it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #36: Dec 22, 2018 01:54:49 am
      People have been led by Johnson and insulted Muslim Women. If Tommy Robinson had said what Johnson said all hell would've broke loose and he would've been arrested for hate crime.
      Agreed, I think Johnson was out of order and got away with it because of political power.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,862 posts | 2284 
      Reply #37: Dec 22, 2018 04:13:30 am

Not looking to derail another thread Ribs by debating something you patently don’t understand - like football - so regrettably I’m putting you back on ignore.

Good luck to you. We just can’t get along.

LOL, so Morocco is racist against Muslims, that's a good one, ;D.

If you honestly think a religion should be able to treat a woman differently to a man, in controvention to a nation's equality laws then you are the one with issues.
      The Burka and Niquab etc should be banned in all countries, they have no place in any country in the 21st century.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,570 posts | 2581 
      Reply #38: Dec 22, 2018 07:50:52 am

If you honestly think a religion should be able to treat a woman differently to a man, in controvention to a nation's equality laws then you are the one with issues.
      The Burka and Niquab etc should be banned in all countries, they have no place in any country in the 21st century.

Ok so I’ll bite this time my little neocon friend because casual racism really grinds my gears.

As it goes I’m affirmatively atheistic. 

The truth - largely I guess because of when the various doctrines were written - is that pretty much all religious text treats men and women vastly differently so that’s a rather facile point. Christianity has absolutely no right to patronise any in that regard.

Western society has a pretty dubious record on equality so let’s not delude ourselves. Women couldn’t wear trousers in my office till the late 90s - crazy huh? Defo NOT equal.

It was only around a similar time that marital rape was finally outlawed in all 50 US states. So let’s tread lightly with the fume......

It’s just a garment - roots to its prominence come from Saudi Arabia I believe. It is not a requirement to be a Muslim women - it’s an interpretation by certain sections.

To answer your question all the countries with the bans are responding to specific scenarios - often a desire to lay a marker down against a particular sect or (in the West) a perceived Terrorist threat

Ultimately - that’s a fear of something different or an authoritarian line designed to appeal politically.

To western eyes the burka does look odd when first you see it.

As long as a woman wishes to wear it and reaches the conclusion without social / political pressure I’ve no problem.

So that’s pretty much like a skirt, dress or any other garment a woman might choose to wear. I’m not frightened of a woman with a large sunglasses, headscarf, sari, maxi dress or heavy make-up etc etc - all of which could be used to conceal one thing or another including identity.

It’s only banned in 13 countries - hardly the new world order.

Being gay is banned in 72
      - should we be aspiring to that?

I just don’t believe the froth about this is rooted in anything but the 3 scenarios I painted.

Clearly we’re not going to agree Heimy - I’ve given you my considered views. Good luck to you.

*Editors note: Spray on jeans on men over 40 should be banned worldwide. But hey, that’s fashion girlfriend 😉
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #39: Dec 22, 2018 02:27:22 pm
      Ok so I’ll bite this time my little neocon friend because casual racism really grinds my gears.

As it goes I’m affirmatively atheistic. 

The truth - largely I guess because of when the various doctrines were written - is that pretty much all religious text treats men and women vastly differently so that’s a rather facile point. Christianity has absolutely no right to patronise any in that regard.

Western society has a pretty dubious record on equality so let’s not delude ourselves. Women couldn’t wear trousers in my office till the late 90s - crazy huh? Defo NOT equal.

It was only around a similar time that marital rape was finally outlawed in all 50 US states. So let’s tread lightly with the fume......

It’s just a garment - roots to its prominence come from Saudi Arabia I believe. It is not a requirement to be a Muslim women - it’s an interpretation by certain sections.

To answer your question all the countries with the bans are responding to specific scenarios - often a desire to lay a marker down against a particular sect or (in the West) a perceived Terrorist threat

Ultimately - that’s a fear of something different or an authoritarian line designed to appeal politically.

To western eyes the burka does look odd when first you see it.

As long as a woman wishes to wear it and reaches the conclusion without social / political pressure I’ve no problem.

So that’s pretty much like a skirt, dress or any other garment a woman might choose to wear. I’m not frightened of a woman with a large sunglasses, headscarf, sari, maxi dress or heavy make-up etc etc - all of which could be used to conceal one thing or another including identity.

It’s only banned in 13 countries - hardly the new world order.

Being gay is banned in 72
      - should we be aspiring to that?

I just don’t believe the froth about this is rooted in anything but the 3 scenarios I painted.

Clearly we’re not going to agree Heimy - I’ve given you my considered views. Good luck to you.

*Editors note: Spray on jeans on men over 40 should be banned worldwide. But hey, that’s fashion girlfriend 😉
      Scotia, that doesn't address anything, you just put a smokescreen on top of the issue Heimdall raised about the poor treatment of women, you tried to justify it by pointing out other stuff. Disgraceful! Women have been stoned to death for protesting because they wanted to drive a car, that doesn't happen in our society. Whilst not everything is perfectly equal why don't you look at serious issues rather than saying we have been dubious in equality. How many people have been executed in the last few decades in western society for woman's rights protests? Probably 0. You mention about countries that ban people from being a homosexual, that has nothing to do with this. Countries that banned face gear are concerned for security! The sunglasses argument is ridiculous. How many times have people refused to remove sunglasses during a police identity check? Additionally there's tons of people who might be offended by your spray on jeans comment, so don't try and even play any fake equality cards, it's clear you have no idea about equality. Banning homosexuality is a not something I agree with, but it doesn't mean banning the Burqa is wrong. That's a countries decision due to security concerns and these decisions are taken in accordance with officials in high places who would have communicated with intelligence, they care about their people not what social justice warriors on an internet forum think.
      « Last Edit: Dec 22, 2018 02:50:09 pm by Ribapuru »
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #40: Dec 22, 2018 07:19:04 pm

Why? because it disagrees with your point of view or belief? aren't you pro choice? should you censor others because you don't ''like'' it?

If there was ample evidence that it poses a huge security threat then I would agree that I would like to see some measures limiting it. But so far there is not a lot of evidence, and everyone should wear what they please without harming others. It's also highly ironic that a lot of people who claim to be all about freedom of choice and free speech but then when it comes to certain issues that goes against their agenda want to force censorship on others because it doesn't represent ''us'' or ''western values'' or whatever bollocks.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #41: Dec 22, 2018 07:21:54 pm

It's both cultural and religious. It's already mentioned in the hadith and the sirat but not the Koran.

in the end Muslims in today's age interpret their religion the way it fits them depending on their social status (education, income, family, etc...)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #42: Dec 22, 2018 08:14:34 pm
      It's both cultural and religious. It's already mentioned in the hadith and the sirat but not the Koran.

in the end Muslims in today's age interpret their religion the way it fits them depending on their social status (education, income, family, etc...)
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-45112792

Dr Qanta Ahmed, a British-American Muslim doctor who lives in New York, does not wear a face veil and supports a ban on them.

She said the number of women wearing them in the West is increasing in part because girls begin to wear them before they reach puberty and many were not given a choice.

By contrast, in Iran the law requires women to wear modest "Islamic" clothing. In practice, this means women must wear a chador, a full-body cloak, or a headscarf and a manteau (overcoat) that covers their arms.

There are posters in cities and towns comparing unveiled women to unwrapped candy and lollipops attracting unwanted attention from flies.

Recently, some Iranian women have protested against this law by taking off their headscarf in public. One woman was jailed for two years in March for doing this.

This is cultural and religion is it?

RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,219 posts | 1173 
      Reply #43: Dec 23, 2018 11:00:19 am
      Just read about how the current government is trying to push through reform, without going through parliament, to force everyone who votes to present valid ID. Apparently to cut down on voter fraud (which I can’t imagine is a major widespread issue).

The reality of them pushing this through is it takes out the demographic most likely to vote against them from the next election. I.e poor and vulnerable.

I absolutely despise this government, I f**king hate them. They believe their ideals are more important than democracy itself.

Absolute scum.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #44: Dec 23, 2018 12:35:59 pm

Does it also depend on which "sect" (for want of a better word) the person belongs to?
      For instance sunni, shia interpret things differently, and wahhabism interprets very strictly?

Genuinely interested in this.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #45: Dec 23, 2018 12:37:50 pm
      Just read about how the current government is trying to push through reform, without going through parliament, to force everyone who votes to present valid ID. Apparently to cut down on voter fraud (which I can’t imagine is a major widespread issue).

The reality of them pushing this through is it takes out the demographic most likely to vote against them from the next election. I.e poor and vulnerable.

I absolutely despise this government, I f**king hate them. They believe their ideals are more important than democracy itself.

Absolute scum.

Voter fraud is just the excuse.
      Voter fraud is a minuscule percentage.

Just as the right in America worked hard to disenfranchise people, so the tories are following their lead.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #46: Dec 23, 2018 01:34:54 pm

Absolute scum.
      I don't understand, are you saying Labour voters don't carry ID? I always voted Labour and have been asked for ID in the past anyway.
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,219 posts | 1173 
      Reply #47: Dec 23, 2018 02:37:51 pm
      Voter fraud is just the excuse.
      Voter fraud is a minuscule percentage.

Just as the right in America worked hard to disenfranchise people, so the tories are following their lead.

Exactly.

If you’re on the breadline are you going to shell out £75 for a passport or £30 on a drivers license?

It’s an absolute disgrace.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #48: Dec 23, 2018 03:43:09 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #49: Dec 23, 2018 03:52:08 pm
      Exactly.

If you’re on the breadline are you going to shell out £75 for a passport or £30 on a drivers license?

It’s an absolute disgrace.
      people have ID when they work or claim benefits, otherwise applications would be rejected. Do you think people go without income for years then suddenly turn up to vote labour? That's ridiculous.
      Income Support, Universal Credit, JSA, Employment all requires photo ID, so how are people without ID able to survive? Hunt Tigers and start a camp fire in the city centre?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,381 posts | 2163 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #50: Dec 23, 2018 04:21:23 pm
      people have ID when they work or claim benefits, otherwise applications would be rejected. Do you think people go without income for years then suddenly turn up to vote labour? That's ridiculous.
      Income Support, Universal Credit, JSA, Employment all requires photo ID, so how are people without ID able to survive? Hunt Tigers and start a camp fire in the city centre?

I don't have any photo ID at the moment.  To get back into the civil service i had to get someone in the civil service to write a testimonial stating they had known me for many years in order to get the job.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4326 
      Reply #51: Dec 23, 2018 05:47:39 pm
      In the News tonight its official EVERTON ARE SHITE.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #52: Dec 23, 2018 08:44:05 pm
      Does it also depend on which "sect" (for want of a better word) the person belongs to?
      For instance sunni, shia interpret things differently, and wahhabism interprets very strictly?

Genuinely interested in this.

Yes definitely. The issue with Islam that it has so many interpretations that even the core beliefs are interpreted in different ways, for example, some muslims believe only in the Koran and not the hadith so they follow a 3 times per day prayer instead of 5. Sufis, for example believe they can do the hajj (pilgrimage) anywhere in the world rather than in Mecca as hajj to them is being one with God.

If you look at Wahhabism and Khomeinism you wouldn't see such a difference in beliefs but there are some differences in ideas of interpretation and sect they follow. Wahabism is just a form of very conservative sunni belief while Khomeinism is a form of very conservative shia belief (wahhabism wears niqab, khomeinism wears chador). The differences are more political to be honest that's why they don't get a long. Then you have different school of thoughts in Sunnis, for example hanbali, hanafi, etc... while Shias have Jaafari, ismaeli etc... they also differ in interpretations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-45112792

Dr Qanta Ahmed, a British-American Muslim doctor who lives in New York, does not wear a face veil and supports a ban on them.

She said the number of women wearing them in the West is increasing in part because girls begin to wear them before they reach puberty and many were not given a choice.

By contrast, in Iran the law requires women to wear modest "Islamic" clothing. In practice, this means women must wear a chador, a full-body cloak, or a headscarf and a manteau (overcoat) that covers their arms.

There are posters in cities and towns comparing unveiled women to unwrapped candy and lollipops attracting unwanted attention from flies.

Recently, some Iranian women have protested against this law by taking off their headscarf in public. One woman was jailed for two years in March for doing this.

This is cultural and religion is it?

This doesn't mean anything. Her opinion does not constitute as fact. The whole area is very and highly subjective and everyone has an opinion or interpretation. If you ever lived in any Middle Eastern country you would know there are a lot of cultural elements in women wearing the veil. Sure some are forced to wear it by their parents, which is wrong and some have chosen to wear it by their own choice. I also met a few women who stopped wearing it because they stopped believing in it.   

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Reply #53: Dec 24, 2018 10:37:08 am
      Been watching some of the horrific scenes of destruction from the tsunami in Indonesia on the news.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #54: Dec 24, 2018 01:17:10 pm
      Yes definitely. The issue with Islam that it has so many interpretations that even the core beliefs are interpreted in different ways, for example, some muslims believe only in the Koran and not the hadith so they follow a 3 times per day prayer instead of 5. Sufis, for example believe they can do the hajj (pilgrimage) anywhere in the world rather than in Mecca as hajj to them is being one with God.

If you look at Wahhabism and Khomeinism you wouldn't see such a difference in beliefs but there are some differences in ideas of interpretation and sect they follow. Wahabism is just a form of very conservative sunni belief while Khomeinism is a form of very conservative shia belief (wahhabism wears niqab, khomeinism wears chador). The differences are more political to be honest that's why they don't get a long. Then you have different school of thoughts in Sunnis, for example hanbali, hanafi, etc... while Shias have Jaafari, ismaeli etc... they also differ in interpretations.

Very interesting.
      I'm assuming this is why Saudi is so keen on attacking Iran. (one reason anyway)
      I've long thought that Saudi ambition is to be the regional "superpower" and create a Sunni (their version) hegemony across the mideast, in as much as that is possible of course.
      This would be in keeping with the "trade blocs" we see forming across the globe, where the next step will be regional political integration with the eventual goal of a single world government. This is a long way into the future of course, but there's no doubt it will happen, it's just a question of when.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #55: Dec 24, 2018 01:17:43 pm
      Been watching some of the horrific scenes of destruction from the tsunami in Indonesia on the news.

Terrible scenes HR.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #56: Dec 24, 2018 02:37:40 pm

Seems around Xmas time they always get hit by an Earthquake or Tsunami..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Reply #57: Dec 24, 2018 03:09:51 pm
      Seems around Xmas time they always get hit by an Earthquake or Tsunami..

They reckon this has been caused by a landslide on Krakatoa
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #58: Dec 24, 2018 03:17:49 pm
      Very interesting.
      I'm assuming this is why Saudi is so keen on attacking Iran. (one reason anyway)
      I've long thought that Saudi ambition is to be the regional "superpower" and create a Sunni (their version) hegemony across the mideast, in as much as that is possible of course.
      This would be in keeping with the "trade blocs" we see forming across the globe, where the next step will be regional political integration with the eventual goal of a single world government. This is a long way into the future of course, but there's no doubt it will happen, it's just a question of when.

It's the same way with Iran, trying to create their own Shia (their version of course) hegemony across the ME. Hence why they backed Bahraini shia rebels, Houthis in Yemen and Hizballah in Lebanon, although Iran are doing it more quietly than the Saudis. The Saudis are also getting closer and closer with Israel because they share a common enemy and I wouldn't be surprised if peace talks have already begun between the two.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #59: Dec 24, 2018 03:20:09 pm

horrible scenes mate, read somewhere the waves were as high as 3 meters
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #60: Dec 24, 2018 06:00:38 pm
      It's the same way with Iran, trying to create their own Shia (their version of course) hegemony across the ME. Hence why they backed Bahraini shia rebels, Houthis in Yemen and Hizballah in Lebanon, although Iran are doing it more quietly than the Saudis. The Saudis are also getting closer and closer with Israel because they share a common enemy and I wouldn't be surprised if peace talks have already begun between the two.

Between Saudi and Israel?
      I'd be very surprised if they haven't already, given the USA'a involvement and backing for both countries.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Reply #61: Dec 25, 2018 06:36:04 pm
      horrible scenes mate, read somewhere the waves were as high as 3 meters

That scene of the band playing just as it hit was very unsettling, even more so when the lead singer made an emotional post saying his wife and the rest of the band are all missing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #62: Dec 28, 2018 10:13:49 am

Said on the news something about a volcano under the ocean had kicked off causing huge waves.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4326 
      Reply #63: Dec 29, 2018 10:31:54 pm
      Decembers biggest New Story Liverpool top the league table by 9 points
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #64: Jan 03, 2019 04:08:11 pm
      Vegan sausage roll is here & folks loosing their sh*t 😂

https://twitter.com/greggsofficial/status/1080403000722710528?s=21
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #65: Jan 03, 2019 05:15:45 pm
      Ha ha,f**king twitter is such a shitshow,no idea why people do it.But Greggs played it well.Those do look good mind,wish we could get em over here.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #66: Jan 03, 2019 06:08:41 pm

So, people who call other people "snowflakes", are now losing their minds over a f**king sausage roll and acting like snowflakes.

Nice.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,570 posts | 2581 
      Reply #67: Jan 03, 2019 11:03:57 pm
      So, people who call other people "snowflakes", are now losing their minds over a f**king sausage roll and acting like snowflakes.

Nice.

If, by people, you mean morally bankrupt, sociopathic cu*ts like Piers Morgan then......yup.

Quick Reply