Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM Liverpool v Napoli

Alisson
      55 (43%)
      Alexander Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Matip
      3 (2.3%)
      van Dijk
      19 (14.8%)
      Robertson
      13 (10.2%)
      Milner
      3 (2.3%)
      Henderson
      16 (12.5%)
      Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mane
      0 (0%)
      Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Salah
      12 (9.4%)
      Keita
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Dec 12, 2018 10:11:57 pm

Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.

Read 25702 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Napoli
      Reply #782: Dec 11, 2018 10:51:50 pm
      Nope zero tackles won tonight
      1 interception
      Dribbled past twice.

Would have thought he had more than 1 interception tbh, a lot of his ground work, 2nd half particularly was very good tonight imo, my only irk during the match was wanting a stronger aerial presence and a tough tackler with some bite in the middle,  especially first half.

Will be interesting to watch back and see what I missed!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #783: Dec 11, 2018 10:52:04 pm
      I thought tonight that we simultaneously played the best football and the worst football I've ever seen. Our goalkeeping, defence, and midfield were immense. The speed and accuracy we passed the ball, the pace of our attack was breathtaking to behold; and then we fluffed it. Chance after chance missed, Mane missing chances that were more difficult to miss than win, although I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to nerves. Never have I seen a more wasteful display from a forward line as from ours today. As I said during the match, 10-0 would not have flattered us. Napoli were comprehensively beaten tonight. Voted Gini MOTM but it could easily go to Hendo, Big Virge, Robertson or Alisson, all of whom were immense. But please LFC, never put me through that again.

You've picked the wrong club to follow if that's what you're after mate!

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #784: Dec 11, 2018 10:52:34 pm
      I'm F***ing buzzing! Alisson is the king!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #785: Dec 11, 2018 10:53:06 pm
      That was our best performance to date in my view Napoli were undefeated in 12 games and we sliced through them with ease. Big shout out to Allison, Matip, VVD and Robbo what a F***ing engine on the lad.
      Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #786: Dec 11, 2018 10:54:08 pm
      Said before the game I give Hendo qualified support. We all know the gripe against Hendo is he just isn't a playmaker. He doesn't give the flair players enough chances to make something out of nothing. We also know his best game is covering, closing, safe passes, pure hard graft, tackling and he did that well tonight.

He did play some quality passes but as well as he played tonight the worries about his perceived safety first play won't go away.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli
      Reply #787: Dec 11, 2018 10:54:40 pm
      Would have thought he had more than 1 interception tbh, a lot of his ground work, 2nd half particularly was very good tonight imo, my only irk during the match was wanting a stronger aerial presence and a tough tackler with some bite in the middle,  especially first half.

Will be interesting to watch back and see what I missed!

Also thought he had more interceptions, the only one I remember was a very poor pass straight at him, almost a gift. Agree he was good in the 2nd half though, just don't think it's "tackles", "calmness" and "composure" that he brings to us, there are many players I could think of that bring a lot more calmness and composure to a side. Especially with all the frantic gesturing, pointing and shouting that he makes, almost always imploring his teammates to go for the simple pass back but thankfully he's often ignored or even bypassed when stating between players that don't need him to intermediate between them
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli
      Reply #788: Dec 11, 2018 10:55:03 pm
      ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ! ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!  :scarf:

As you were Gents! 😊
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #789: Dec 11, 2018 10:56:12 pm
      So Diego, what the van Dijk's like compared to the Brazilians?  ;) ;D I had had neither myself or the wife.

Hahaha I'm always a bit slow to understand those jokes because (obviously) what you guys call a brazilian isn't called as such in Brazil :lmao:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #790: Dec 11, 2018 10:56:15 pm
      That was only one place his foot could be planted the way he went for it though, and it was relatively high on his opponent's legs, hence a dangerous play... in other words that's acting with disregard to the danger or consequences to an opponent, as stated by the rules. I know we always seem to think that if a player touches the ball first then everything else is excused, and this might often the case, but those are not actually the rules of the game

The rule is fine. The interpretation was wrong - it happens on occasions.

He wasn’t out of control and it wasn’t high mate - he made contact but it was no more intentional than if he’d kicked an opponent’s studs on follow through clearing the ball.

Wasn’t a foul and certainly wasn’t a card.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #791: Dec 11, 2018 10:57:00 pm
      Having almost nothing to do the entire game and making that point blank save right at the end requires the highest levels of concentration and an absolutely clear intention to come off the line! Alisson and Salah are day light robberies we committed and should actually go back to Rome with a pile of gratitude cash!

Hendo and Gini, esp the latter, grew gradually into the game. Loved our captain's recycling and the latter's drive from the midfield. Milner and Fab did their roles close to perfection.

The back 4 started jittery but confidence increased and even initiated attacks quite a lot. Virgil is just a colossus!!

I thought Bobby had a decent game too and looked to have got some of his 17-18 mojo back. Mane is due and will score this weekend! Not that worried. Salah being classy again and losing one of the world's best CBs for that goal was so juicy!!

Again.. Alisson.. IMMENSE!!

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpoolwz0: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #792: Dec 11, 2018 11:00:37 pm
      The Ref seemed intent on making sure he was going to be remembered .it wasn't  a nasty game and hardly a yellow card was necessary.
      I just want Real Madrid next round so we can beat them home and away and put that c**t Ramos firmly in his place
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #793: Dec 11, 2018 11:01:46 pm
      Brazilians in Liverpool are usually popular ;)

I went for van Dijk myself, can't remember the last time I had this much confidence in a Liverpool player!

First leg probs next round?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #794: Dec 11, 2018 11:04:03 pm
      Said before the game I give Hendo qualified support. We all know the gripe against Hendo is he just isn't a playmaker. He doesn't give the flair players enough chances to make something out of nothing. We also know his best game is covering, closing, safe passes, pure hard graft, tackling and he did that well tonight.

He did play some quality passes but as well as he played tonight the worries about his perceived safety first play won't go away.

I don't think it's *just* a safety first attitude, I also think it has to do with a lack of vision, really. He was brought to LFC as an offensive player and played mostly as a right winger in his first season. Even then, and later when playing in a box to box role, he could also be infuriating in his tendency for going to the easy pass - as a CM, he could be in considerable space a few years outside the box, but would almost always go for the simple pass wide to the fullback, rather than try to dribble or do any intricate passing through the middle. So we ended up crossing endlessly with little effect. Most of his "chances created" (a stat a lot discussed at the time), like Downing's, came from crosses. We've come a long way from those days, thankfully. ;D
      Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #795: Dec 11, 2018 11:04:16 pm
      Great win and again avoided a laundry bill. Haven't played that well in the group but hit form in the last few weeks, Mo in particular.
      Mental strength was needed tonight and we showed that. Mental strength is often overlooked but it's vital. I give great credit to Klopp for that. His invective enthusiasm breeds confidence and positivity.

Great performance by Klopp tonight. 9/10
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,565 posts | 391 
      Reply #796: Dec 11, 2018 11:06:11 pm
      Matip in hospital for tests on his shoulder....... dear me
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #797: Dec 11, 2018 11:07:51 pm
      The rule is fine. The interpretation was wrong - it happens on occasions.

He wasn’t out of control and it wasn’t high mate - he made contact but it was no more intentional than if he’d kicked an opponent’s studs on follow through clearing the ball.

Wasn’t a foul and certainly wasn’t a card.

It doesn't have to be intentional, just reckless, ie disregarding the consequences of the challenge. And that was exactly it. You don't have to want to break someone's legs to be cautioned, but if you act in a manner where you very well could, then by the rules of the game you deserve to be cautioned.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #798: Dec 11, 2018 11:08:48 pm
      Matip in hospital for tests on his shoulder....... dear me

Just read that too. Really hope it's nothing. Gomez was doing so well, got injured. Matip came in, was superb tonight - could be out for a while too :( Let's hope Lovren is up to it...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #799: Dec 11, 2018 11:09:21 pm
      It doesn't have to be intentional, just reckless, ie disregarding the consequences of the challenge. And that was exactly it. You don't have to want to break someone's legs to be cautioned, but if you act in a manner where you very well could, then by the rules of the game you deserve to be cautioned.

There’s no argument - it’s a definite yellow. Signed sealed and delivered.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #800: Dec 11, 2018 11:10:48 pm
      Hardly a mention for Mo! Thought he was OUTSTANDING. My MOTM ahead of Matip and Alisson.

Not a bad shift in Red tonight, though. BUZZING.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #801: Dec 11, 2018 11:11:15 pm
      Just made up with that. Hendo critic here saying credit where credits due. He may not have got many tackle and blocks in, but he did get in positions where he forced the ball holder to go back.
      MOTM in my opinion really could have been anyone. Every one done their job tonight.
      Thinking I ought to give it to Allison for keeping us in it at the end there.
      Did you see the faces on their players when he pulled off that save.

Looked like they were thinking....
      What’s the f**king point 😟

Top drawer, worth every penny, he has it !
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #802: Dec 11, 2018 11:11:46 pm
      Hardly a mention for Mo! Thought he was OUTSTANDING. My MOTM ahead of Matip and Alisson.

Not a bad shift in Red tonight, though. BUZZING.

He was really up for it tonight, it was beautiful to watch. Standing up to be counted when it mattered the most. What a goal too.
      Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #803: Dec 11, 2018 11:12:01 pm
      I don't think it's *just* a safety first attitude, I also think it has to do with a lack of vision, really. He was brought to LFC as an offensive player and played mostly as a right winger in his first season. Even then, and later when playing in a box to box role, he could also be infuriating in his tendency for going to the easy pass - as a CM, he could be in considerable space a few years outside the box, but would almost always go for the simple pass wide to the fullback, rather than try to dribble or do any intricate passing through the middle. So we ended up crossing endlessly with little effect. Most of his "chances created" (a stat a lot discussed at the time), like Downing's, came from crosses. We've come a long way from those days, thankfully. ;D

You make your case well. I have said that we should see what Hendo can do and judge him on that. I concede he can be frustrating but this season we are playing a slightly more solid gameplan. Stop leaking goals. Build from a solid base not just go at it hell for leather. Hendo has faced down his critics with the strength of his performances. He doesn't catch the eye even when he has had a solid game. Do we carry on complaining or do we finally accept that he is not going to turn into Zidane overnight. He is what he is not what we want him to be.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #804: Dec 11, 2018 11:12:28 pm
      There’s no argument - it’s a definite yellow. Signed sealed and delivered.

Yea Virgil knew what he was doing there.

Quick Reply