Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM Liverpool v Napoli

Alisson
      55 (43%)
      Alexander Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Matip
      3 (2.3%)
      van Dijk
      19 (14.8%)
      Robertson
      13 (10.2%)
      Milner
      3 (2.3%)
      Henderson
      16 (12.5%)
      Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mane
      0 (0%)
      Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Salah
      12 (9.4%)
      Keita
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Dec 12, 2018 10:11:57 pm

Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.

Read 25278 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #828: Dec 12, 2018 12:43:40 am
      See at the end matip landing on his shoulder

Sounds like it’s just precautionary.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #829: Dec 12, 2018 01:26:15 am
      It’s closer to a red than not a booking at all.

Ref got it spot on.

Tell me how after getting the ball cleanly, he's meant to get his leg out of the way? Or alternatively how he's meant to get the ball cleanly from his starting position without having his leg extended? It's an impossibility. The ref tonight was a disgrace. Worst performance I've seen in a long time.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #830: Dec 12, 2018 01:39:49 am
      Tell me how after getting the ball cleanly, he's meant to get his leg out of the way? Or alternatively how he's meant to get the ball cleanly from his starting position without having his leg extended? It's an impossibility. The ref tonight was a disgrace. Worst performance I've seen in a long time.

Unfortunately, it's part of the modern game.  If winning the ball results in you taking out the opposing player on the follow through, it will likely be called for a foul.  If the contact includes exposed cleat studs, it's likely going to be yellow or red.  20 years ago, that doesn't get called a foul.  Now VVD is a bit lucky to have stayed on the pitch.  I prefer the old school mentality, but I can appreciate the intent of protecting players as long as it is called consistently.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #831: Dec 12, 2018 01:56:04 am
      Fantastic performance from our side, and EVERYBODY did his part.

Allison - any good side will have a few chances over 90 minutes and they had success right on their feet at the death, and he saved the day. I don't call that MOTM, but it was the moment of the match.  Start thinking about best goalkeeper in the world now. Neuer is excellent and De Gea has been too, but what is Allison lacking, honestly? (except major trophies - we can fix that).

TAA - Dangerous going forward, quality service and I thought was better positionally in defence than he has been at times. Maturing.

Matip - Has finally returned to the form he showed in his first half-season with us. Stepped up to make the key intervention more than once. Perfect timing and hoping for the best re his shoulder.

Virgil - Our leader - and a total warrior.

Robbo - So electric going forward and mostly good in defending. Best left back in England?

Henderson - Best match of the season for Jordan. Got himself about in coverage and was a big part in keeping possession and starting some attacks.

Gini - Also a workhorse, and was that him with the 360 spin move near the end of the match? Missed  a couple of chances but he wasn't the only one.

Milner - Great performance, especially going forward. Hit quality passes and was always ready to make runs into the box off the ball.

Sadio - I know he missed chances including the howler at the end, but Sadio was a warrior tonight. He never stopped working on the defensive end and was important in our link up play. His quickness always causes other team's problems. Keep attacking like that and the goals will come.

Bobby - Much more like last year in leading the press, helping us win possession and key to the transition to attack. As is often the case, the guy people don't notice who in fact is vitally important to our success.

Mohammed Salah - As good as any forward in the world game. Scored a world class goal and showed tireless energy in the press.

I think for about 85 of 90 minutes, we played them off the park. Sure we'd all prefer 5-0, but this was still a performance to savor.

It will be a hard act to follow vs. United, but hopefully fitness battles work out and Jürgen can put a strong team out there and finally beat Jose in the league.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #832: Dec 12, 2018 01:58:13 am
      Good today, Lovren almost cost us when he came on, then Alisson saved us.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #833: Dec 12, 2018 02:15:43 am
      Good today, Lovren almost cost us when he came on, then Alisson saved us.

What?  :f_doh:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #834: Dec 12, 2018 02:21:42 am
      i meant good performance overall, but number 6 was caught ball watching which led to the shot Alisson dealt with. I think it was Lovren.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #835: Dec 12, 2018 04:08:45 am
      Just back from the game sixteen hours after I left but well worth it , bumped into a few of the tribe in the Arkles nice to see you lads , thought the ref was a disgrace , but our team made up for it with a tremendous performance ,Jordan Henderson take a bow excellent performance , Allison at the end wow . Sleep time .
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #836: Dec 12, 2018 05:26:30 am
      What is happening to Mane and Bobby of late? We pinned so much hope on them and both failed miserably. One simply doesn't wanna hit the target even with an invisible keeper in front while the other is jogging aimlessly throughout the match with his new hairstyle.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #837: Dec 12, 2018 05:40:37 am
      Just watched the match F**k me Alisson is world class.

Would love to know the freekick count absolutely garbage refereeing from what I saw.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #838: Dec 12, 2018 05:50:58 am
      i meant good performance overall, but number 6 was caught ball watching which led to the shot Alisson dealt with. I think it was Lovren.

Got a point to be fair. Not sure where he was asked to play but the first thing he done was skew the ball out for a throw and then lost his man in the build up to the Alisson save. Pretty much all he was on the pitch for.

But to be honest it was a difficult game to come into so it’s harsh to criticise him really. Don’t think he was meant to play tonight so coming on so late for Trent, in a tense situation with Napoli desperate to get a goal, it was always going to be a bit difficult, especially when he’s been out for the last couple of weeks. In an ideal world he’d have stayed on the bench I think.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #839: Dec 12, 2018 06:21:58 am
      What is happening to Mane and Bobby of late? We pinned so much hope on them and both failed miserably. One simply doesn't wanna hit the target even with an invisible keeper in front while the other is jogging aimlessly throughout the match with his new hairstyle.

I don't understand what's happening. Truth is I don't think they have enough pressure to perform. Seriously, Shaqiri and Sturridge can score and assist, but they will still be benched for Mane and Firmino, it's not fair.

Thankfully, they can only get better but Klopp should do something about it. If you're playing every week you should be performing. Unfortunately, Mane and Firmino are not.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #840: Dec 12, 2018 06:55:10 am
      I don't understand what's happening. Truth is I don't think they have enough pressure to perform. Seriously, Shaqiri and Sturridge can score and assist, but they will still be benched for Mane and Firmino, it's not fair.

Thankfully, they can only get better but Klopp should do something about it. If you're playing every week you should be performing. Unfortunately, Mane and Firmino are not.

It’s because you can play yourself into form and that’s what Klopp is trying to do - minutes usually mean form and last season surely gives Klopp an indication of their potential - plus we keep winning
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2018 07:10:56 am by LondonRed83 »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #841: Dec 12, 2018 07:05:06 am
      So why did we go through with a 1-0 as goal difference the same and they beat us 2-0 didn't they at their place ?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #842: Dec 12, 2018 07:11:27 am
      So why did we go through with a 1-0 as goal difference the same and they beat us 2-0 didn't they at their place ?

No - they scored a last minute winner for a 1-0
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #843: Dec 12, 2018 07:20:36 am

Suggesting Bobby played poorly is more of a indictment on you than him.

Watch again and closely. Extremely intelligent and vital to that performance.

And Mané has everything but the final touch (except when he was offside, the b***ard!).

They’re doing their jobs to a very high level. The rewards will come soon.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #844: Dec 12, 2018 07:25:45 am
      Would have thought he had more than 1 interception tbh, a lot of his ground work, 2nd half particularly was very good tonight imo, my only irk during the match was wanting a stronger aerial presence and a tough tackler with some bite in the middle,  especially first half.

Will be interesting to watch back and see what I missed!

He picked up a lot of second balls.

He had a ok game better than he has been and as Diego said st least tried in the second half to get the ball forward rather than instantly pass it back.

But for me his partners stood out more.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #845: Dec 12, 2018 07:58:21 am
      Quote from 5timesacharm

We were supposed to have one of the best refs in the game, he correctly sent off half of all the players dismissed in the World Cup. But given he is from Slovenia, why was he chosen to ref an Italian team game in Europe? It's literally next door to them, and he gave them pretty much everything he could.

Despite that, we survived. There was only one away win in the group and it went right to the wire. As is often the case in a group like this, having the last game at home helps the home side sneak over the line. And we got there on goals scored, that's how tight it was.

Great winner from Salah, his 13th goal of the season and 4th in 2 games, although I didn't think it would be the winner at the time, so had a good laugh at the Napoli fan bawling his eyes out before ht. Then Dejan came on. Surely he couldn't do much wrong in 5 minutes. Unfortunately he couldn't do much right. First, he hashed a weak clearance out of play, then dozed off as he does, and left his man unmarked to put the ball in the net, until Alisson showed us again why the money we paid for him was well spent. Amazing how a 6 game group can come down to a split second like that. Hopefully we'll get a nice comfy draw in the next round, and hopefully we're not down to the bare bones at the back after the game. Because we can't exactly rest players at home against the mancs you know.

So ends the years of refs making educated guesses about decisions in the European Cup, and also the end of the refs behind the goal. From now on, it's VAR all the way, home and away. Every penalty call and goal scored is now subject to VAR approval, and the ref can now have more than one look at an incident if required, even refs from Slovenia.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #846: Dec 12, 2018 08:42:12 am
      It would not be Liverpool in Europe without that bit of drama at the end.  Well deserved win against a very good team (I think the best we have played this season).  I think that is borne out by my feeling that VVD actually had to work.

I think that was as well as we have played this season (some finishing aside) and it is no coincidence that it was with that midfield three, allowing us to go back to the proper front three from last year.

I don't know why the media is making such a thing of Salah's celebration (well I suppose I do really) - it is just a "yeah, I'm good, and we all know it" kind of thing.

Thought Matip was very good and fully justified his selection - I am sure he was playing well before injury last year, and I suppose we have been spoiled by the brilliance of VVD (who is going to come close).

I thought Hendo was excellent and put in a real captains performance (even giving VVD a bit of advice in the first half when there was an injury).

As for Alisson - what more can be said.  Not the greatest save he has ever made, but probably the most important.

Roll on Sunday.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #847: Dec 12, 2018 09:03:58 am
      No - they scored a last minute winner for a 1-0

So we went through on goals scored...thanks.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #848: Dec 12, 2018 09:04:23 am
      Suggesting Bobby played poorly is more of a indictment on you than him.

Watch again and closely. Extremely intelligent and vital to that performance.

And Mané has everything but the final touch (except when he was offside, the b***ard!).

They’re doing their jobs to a very high level. The rewards will come soon.

This is spot on.

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #849: Dec 12, 2018 09:15:06 am
      Get in there . Unbelievable save from Alisson
      Ynwa
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #850: Dec 12, 2018 09:18:41 am
      We were supposed to have one of the best refs in the game, he correctly sent off half of all the players dismissed in the World Cup. But given he is from Slovenia, why was he chosen to ref an Italian team game in Europe? It's literally next door to them, and he gave them pretty much everything he could.

Despite that, we survived. There was only one away win in the group and it went right to the wire. As is often the case in a group like this, having the last game at home helps the home side sneak over the line. And we got there on goals scored, that's how tight it was.

Great winner from Salah, his 13th goal of the season and 4th in 2 games, although I didn't think it would be the winner at the time, so had a good laugh at the Napoli fan bawling his eyes out before ht. Then Dejan came on. Surely he couldn't do much wrong in 5 minutes. Unfortunately he couldn't do much right. First, he hashed a weak clearance out of play, then dozed off as he does, and left his man unmarked to put the ball in the net, until Alisson showed us again why the money we paid for him was well spent. Amazing how a 6 game group can come down to a split second like that. Hopefully we'll get a nice comfy draw in the next round, and hopefully we're not down to the bare bones at the back after the game. Because we can't exactly rest players at home against the mancs you know.

So ends the years of refs making educated guesses about decisions in the European Cup, and also the end of the refs behind the goal. From now on, it's VAR all the way, home and away. Every penalty call and goal scored is now subject to VAR approval, and the ref can now have more than one look at an incident if required, even refs from Slovenia.

All well and good singing the praises of VAR but what the F**k happened with VVD getting carded for a tackle where he clearly contacted the ball first and the opposing player goes down like he's been F***ing shot?
      Virgil now misses the next game with no help from VAR.

Quick Reply