Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM Liverpool v Napoli

Alisson
      55 (43%)
      Alexander Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Matip
      3 (2.3%)
      van Dijk
      19 (14.8%)
      Robertson
      13 (10.2%)
      Milner
      3 (2.3%)
      Henderson
      16 (12.5%)
      Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mane
      0 (0%)
      Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Salah
      12 (9.4%)
      Keita
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Dec 12, 2018 10:11:57 pm

Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.

Read 25279 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #851: Dec 12, 2018 09:19:10 am
      That Insigne did F**k all - I was expecting so much more from him and Hamsik.

That’s down to Liverpool suffocating the life out of them - played them off the park an nobody would think 5-0 would have flattered us.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #852: Dec 12, 2018 09:46:54 am
      So why did we go through with a 1-0 as goal difference the same and they beat us 2-0 didn't they at their place ?

Nah we matched the result at their ground which meant none of us had a better result against eachother so it came down to goals scored over all I think. Otherwise it would have been like away goals which is why if they scored we had to win by two.

Not sure though because I don't know when it moves from goals and cards etc. to all the other stuff like dick size and underware colour.

In short I mean uefa make things so f**king hard to understand we could have gone through on anything haha
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2018 09:54:05 am by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #853: Dec 12, 2018 09:48:59 am
      Great match,should have been a lot more than 1-0,but were through and that's all that matters,hopefully saving all the goals for sunday :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #854: Dec 12, 2018 09:49:40 am
      I went for Alisson as well Skip.Also top marks for Mo Salah the way  he scored the winning goal.Top of the league through to the knockout stages,thank you JĂźrgen Klopp.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #855: Dec 12, 2018 09:57:45 am
      Great match,should have been a lot more than 1-0,but were through and that's all that matters,hopefully saving all the goals for sunday :)

We look like we are getting back to the levels of last season to me.

The amount and types of chances we are creating the last few games are the same as we were last season.

Just need the front 3 to get their shooting boots on and we'll be testing people off the park again.

Honestly last night should have been about 6,7 or 8 - 1.

Only mane forgot his shooting boots and we have a cool as f**k keeper between the sticks.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #856: Dec 12, 2018 10:07:13 am
      The main thing is we are through, to the last 16 of the competition. The job has been well and truly done !
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #857: Dec 12, 2018 10:07:18 am
      Nervy game as expected, but we should've been out of sight before Allison made that save. Another great European night at Anfield.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #858: Dec 12, 2018 10:17:31 am
      Mertens: “I hardly noticed the this is anfield sign and didn’t think it was much” Bet you think a lot more of it now knobhead!! 🤓
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #859: Dec 12, 2018 10:28:58 am
      There is every argument. You're picking a selective picture. He got the ball cleanly. He's not off the ground and he has no way of pulling his leg back before contact. We have the worst refs in the world and not even ours would give a yellow for that. It goes to the heart of what is wrong with the game today. The rules are being made by people without top flight football experience. We need more ex-footballers going into governing bodies as we as management and punditry.

Totally correct mate.
      The replay showed clear contact with the ball initially followed by bollocks going down like he'd been F***ing shot, Virgil had committed himself and his outstretched leg was in that context.
      The card should be rescinded and the joke of a referee barred from officiating high profile games until he gets his arse round to Spec Savers.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #860: Dec 12, 2018 10:52:09 am
      That's what football is all about. Great match, loads of drama. Great performance from us I thought, especially considering the pressure. The defeat in Napoli hit our confidence and our performances for a good few games ( didn't affect the results too much in the PL, but did in the CL). Getting knocked out last night would have not just been bad for us in Europe, but would have been a big blow to our league chances as well in my opinion. We dealt with it really well and should have won by more than one goal against a very good side that we made look just ok last night.

8s and 9s all over the park, thought everybody played well, even if we didn't have our shooting boots on. Get them on for Sunday and we will slaughter ManU.

Hard to pick a MOTM, but gave it to Hendo just to annoy his detractors - thought he was excellent last night. Could have been Mo, VVD, Robbo, Alisson for that save. Big shout to Matip - been out a long time out and could have been rusty last night, but he was excellent - delighted to see it, he doesn't make me nervous the way Lovren does, good to see him stepping into Gomez' role so smoothly.

Great result, great performance under pressure. Bring on the Mancs.
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2018 10:58:10 am by sore monad »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #861: Dec 12, 2018 11:45:17 am
      Suggesting Bobby played poorly is more of a indictment on you than him.

Watch again and closely. Extremely intelligent and vital to that performance.

And ManĂŠ has everything but the final touch (except when he was offside, the b***ard!).

They’re doing their jobs to a very high level. The rewards will come soon.

Exactly right. Both played well. We had more fluid attacks in this game, involving combination play from our front three, outside backs and Milner or Gini, then we've had in a while. Yes there were misses, but Sadio and Bobby were important for us last night.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #862: Dec 12, 2018 11:55:21 am
      Absolutely agree, finishing aside all of the front three were involved in some good build up play and did well. In particular I thought Salah looked really on it last night and Firmino was doing better linking the play up. Obviously all three should have scored a couple of goals each - Mane especially was very wasteful. Fortunately we have a top class defence and brilliant keeper who is always going to give us a chance of keeping a clean sheet. We should have been 3 or 4 up by the time Alisson made that save, but we weren't and the big Brazilian has kept us in it.

It's a very strange and novel feeling to have complete confidence in your keeper to make those kinds of saves but we better get used to it!

Overall an exceptional performance against a strong team in such a pressurised game  - if only our finishing in front of goal matched every other aspect of our play we'd have an exceptional result to go with our performance.

All five across the back line were immense, particularly VVD, Matip and Robertson, and when called upon Alisson did not disappoint.

Feel like we are clicking into gear now - now onto the game on Sunday.

*gave MOTM to van Dijk - think any of Matip, Robbo, Alisson or Henderson could have had it though. VVD was just a rock throughout though, so many clearances, tackles and headers.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #863: Dec 12, 2018 12:04:52 pm
      Great result.
      Gave MOTM to VVD although it could have gone to a number of players.

That midfield performance is why Klopp sticks with that 3 in the big games (for now at least).
      He knows they have that in them, and he just has to bring it out.

The defense played well, the midfield played well, what a save from Alisson at the end, and the forward 3 did everything except finish.

Signs are good that we're starting to peak at exactly the right time.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #864: Dec 12, 2018 12:25:36 pm
      Top of the League and unbeaten.
      Last 16 of the Champions League
      Mancs at Anfield this Sunday
      Doesn't get much better than that as we all put our Christmas deccies up does it !!

I wonder If Allison has met Jersey Dudek yet?  ;D
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #865: Dec 12, 2018 12:27:15 pm
      Saw this on one of the sites. Compared to that c**t Mertens, this is by the Gaffer when he was coach of Dortmund.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #866: Dec 12, 2018 12:47:06 pm
      Got to be honest can't fault anyone of those Reds last night, 'We played as a team' and that was pivotal, even my favourite 😉Henderson had a good game,

Only our final pass and finishing needs working on, but that will come, the good thing is we are getting into position to score, the same was said last season if my dementia hasn't worsened and look how many onion bags did we hit thereafter,
      Some of you guys are still unhappy about how we set about our game play this season,  but i think we are a much better outfit, last season was phenomenal, the rock N roll football was mesmerising and a absolute joy to behold, and probably the most entertaining side to watch if you were a neutral,

This season were are much more rounded, we can control & conquer when we feel like it, ok, it seems we're not as prolific as last season, well not yet anyways, but oppositions are finding us more difficult to understand,  whereas last season a few found us out and set up accordingly, with the help of a few buses,

Let me remind you that we remain the only side  unbeaten in the whole f***in league,  we are presently sat on top of the EPL, and we are in the last 16 of the Champions league, if we were called Citeh, everybody would be waxing and wanking lyrically over us, and pro-reclaiming that we are untouchable and will conquer all,
      But we're only Liverpool a one season wonder who are incapable of winning anything cos Klopp has been to 5 finals and won F**k all, so it stands to reason he won't win F**k all with those horrible hub cap nicking bin dippers that hate Manc-chester.

KUNTS !!

YNWA
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #867: Dec 12, 2018 12:56:30 pm
      What a night, what a game and one in the eye for the ref, that's the first time in all the games he's been in charge that we have won.
      Our team and fans we're bang on and so we venture forward into the next stages. The final score did not reflect what could have been a lot more but hey' onward we go. Cheers to Gow who was patient sat next to me and for putting up with my kebab.
      Good night with Gow & JD @Anfield.#ArklesCrew.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #868: Dec 12, 2018 01:13:35 pm
      Good night at Anfield.  Atmosphere was excellent.

As much as I'd like to hand it to Salah's cool finish, van Dijk's excellent defending and Alisson's great goalkeeping - I don't think the superstition of el batez starting on his kebab on the 22nd minute can be overlooked!

Into the last 16!

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #869: Dec 12, 2018 01:17:44 pm
      Good night at Anfield.  Atmosphere was excellent.

As much as I'd like to hand it to Salah's cool finish, van Dijk's excellent defending and Alisson's great goalkeeping - I don't think the superstition of el batez starting on his kebab on the 22nd minute can be overlooked!

Into the last 16!

Bloody tourists, only turning up for the big games...  :f_tongueincheek:
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #870: Dec 12, 2018 01:18:10 pm
      I would just like for once, that we do something the easy way rather than what we did in this group!!

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #871: Dec 12, 2018 01:27:56 pm
      I would just like for once, that we do something the easy way rather than what we did in this group!!

YNWA

We will.....in the Final 😉

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #872: Dec 12, 2018 01:34:34 pm
      +11
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #873: Dec 12, 2018 01:49:47 pm

Yes, we will only need the regulation 5 kicks from the spot after 120 minutes. No extra rounds.of penalties!

Quick Reply