Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League: Round of 16

Read 14873 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Champions league round of 16
      Reply #46: Dec 14, 2018 09:11:32 pm
      You saw him playing live I take it, who were his rivals for that hard man tag at the time from other teams?

I saw him as well... yes he was fearsome.

There was Norman "Bite Your Legs Hunter" from Leeds but Tommy was king of the hard men.

We had a chant "Tommy Smith Red Power " after the Olympic ceremony and of course the "Anfield Iron" from The Scaffold's "Lily The Pink" referring to the Aintree Iron.

638 games for the Reds.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/11/tommy-smith-the-lad-from-liverpool-who-became-shanks-man-and-the-anfield-iron/
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2018 09:18:58 pm by MIRO »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #47: Dec 14, 2018 09:19:14 pm
      The tough man (Tommy Smith well before my time) nowadays would play 1 game out of 4 in PL as they would be suspended for the other 3.

How can you say he would be suspended for 3 games out of 4.Tommy had a way of  dealing to thugs without drawing attention to himself.Like the time he handed Jimmy Greaves a piece of paper  as the teams were making their way out onto the pitch.Greavsie asked Tommy was the paper an invite to the after match function.Tommy replied no it is the menu for the Royal hospital where you will be eating if there is any sh*te out of you today.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #48: Dec 14, 2018 09:25:08 pm
      How can you say he would be suspended for 3 games out of 4.Tommy had a way of  dealing to thugs without drawing attention to himself.Like the time he handed Jimmy Greaves a piece of paper  as the teams were making their way out onto the pitch.Greavsie asked Tommy was the paper an invite to the after match function.Tommy replied no it is the menu for the Royal hospital where you will be eating if there is any sh*te out of you today.

The “reputation” rather masks the fact that he was a very fine footballer too.

I don’t buy the argument that these legends wouldn’t adjust. If they could play then - on those pitches then playing now on these carpets would be a breeze.

I quoted the King in another thread recently who enjoyed a fish supper as his after game meal for a number of years.

“Ye can play or ye can’t. A bowl of pasta’s no gonnae change that”

Amen
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #49: Dec 14, 2018 09:27:52 pm
      Think it was a young Stan Bowles who went past Tommy like he was a statue.
      Tommy said "if you do that again son, i'll hit you straight into the stand." And he did, and so did Tommy. But when Knowlesy recovered, he never went near Tommy again.
      And that came from an interview, from Stan Bowles himself.  Aye, Tommy the Tank. Anfield Iron.
      Billy, can you imagine Neymar and Tommy on the same pitch. ? Well until the first tackle anyway  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Dec 14, 2018 09:42:36 pm
      The tough man (Tommy Smith well before my time) nowadays would play 1 game out of 4 in PL as they would be suspended for the other 3.

Not necessarily, Tommy Smith was a good footballer in his own right. Used to take penalties as well. Played full back as well as centre back. Pace wise Tommy wasn't the quickest. There were a lot of hard men in the game but the for guts, Alan Ball had plenty.

He would stand his ground against Tommy as did Denis Law. Best wasn't slow getting the odd kick back either. For us at that time, The Ghost, Chris Lawler could handle himself. Shankly's teams were footballing pass 'n' move teams, fittest team in the league.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Champions League: Round of 16
      Reply #51: Dec 14, 2018 10:05:25 pm
      Wasn't he also a bit of a racist dickhead bully,towards the end of his time at liverpool? Oh yeah and Porto would be best!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #52: Dec 14, 2018 10:13:18 pm
      Won't go down well, but I'm not keen on the "go past me and I'll put you in hospital" school of defending. Smacks too much of Sergio Ramos. Would rather have a Hansen ( or a Van Dyke) than a Tommy Smith. [And yeah Boston, apparently he was a bit of a racist bully.]

[On topic - yeah, Porto. Or Real Madrid. Or ManU. Would like to ditch either of the latter at this stage.]
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2018 10:22:39 pm by sore monad »
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Dec 15, 2018 12:39:28 pm
      Wasn't he also a bit of a racist dickhead bully,towards the end of his time at liverpool? Oh yeah and Porto would be best!

Not having a pop mush but we are celebrating Tommy's great contribution on the field. Society back then did not have the same values it has now. When Albert Johansson, one of the first black players, went down the wing, in the early 60's, I could hear the monkey chants coming from the Paddock, from my speck on the Kop. So this is obviously the football part of the forum and perhaps is not the place to discuss racial attitudes and the progression to how society is today.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #54: Dec 15, 2018 03:42:24 pm
      I'd like Porto.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #55: Dec 15, 2018 04:16:43 pm
      Not having a pop mush but we are celebrating Tommy's great contribution on the field. Society back then did not have the same values it has now. When Albert Johansson, one of the first black players, went down the wing, in the early 60's, I could hear the monkey chants coming from the Paddock, from my speck on the Kop. So this is obviously the football part of the forum and perhaps is not the place to discuss racial attitudes and the progression to how society is today.

It's also the champions league last 16 thread not the old players bit so.....
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: Dec 15, 2018 07:19:31 pm

It's also the champions league last 16 thread not the old players bit so.....

Probably should have an old arse thread then, for those who go back to the 60's..

On the C/L theme we will have to up our game from our group performances. Went down to the wire, not good for the nerves.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #57: Dec 15, 2018 08:57:44 pm
      Madrid for obvious reasons..other then that Barca.

Avoid Dortmund
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #58: Dec 16, 2018 01:02:56 am
      Won't go down well, but I'm not keen on the "go past me and I'll put you in hospital" school of defending. Smacks too much of Sergio Ramos. Would rather have a Hansen ( or a Van Dyke) than a Tommy Smith. [And yeah Boston, apparently he was a bit of a racist bully.]

[On topic - yeah, Porto. Or Real Madrid. Or ManU. Would like to ditch either of the latter at this stage.]

Well perhaps you’re not old enough to have witnessed the game first hand back then. Every team had at least 1 Tommy Smith type. Just that Tommy was the best at what he done. Don’t think he couldn’t play decent as well.
      That’s just how it was.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Dec 17, 2018 10:33:31 am
      Draw coming up at 11.00 am.

Possible draw. Barcelona,Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund,Juventus,Real Madrid.Porto.

Can't be drawn again a team from your own country or a team you have played in the group stages.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2018 10:34:31 am
      My wish list: Real/Porto
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #61: Dec 17, 2018 10:40:21 am
      Porto might be thought of as the weakest, but it's the luck of the draw. I wouldn't mind Borussia Dortmund.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #62: Dec 17, 2018 10:41:42 am
      I want Sergio F***ing Ramos!!! #end_sergio_ramos_career_at_anfield
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Dec 17, 2018 10:43:08 am
      Haven't got BT sport but the Draw is Live on Eurosport 1 at 11.00 am.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #64: Dec 17, 2018 10:49:41 am
      See if this works in your region.

https://youtu.be/p2GMgzDWX4M
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #65: Dec 17, 2018 10:53:56 am
      I think we are the team to avoid..
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Dec 17, 2018 10:55:04 am
      Bound to be Juventus V Real Madrid. Ronaldo was at Real for 9 years and only scored 450 goals but by my goal standard...1 Premier league goal is worth 3 La Liga goals...so in truth he only scored 150 real goals for Real..
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Dec 17, 2018 11:00:15 am
      Coming up any minute...bound to be a load of waffle before they actually get on with the feckin' draw..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #68: Dec 17, 2018 11:02:21 am
      My preference - Real Madrid / Bayern

Who we’ll get - Barcelona

Quick Reply