Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League: Round of 16

Read 14882 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Champions League: Round of 16.
      Reply #92: Dec 17, 2018 11:26:10 am
      Could've been worse..they are 3rd in the Bundesliga..9 points adrift of Borussia. I'll take it, Klopp obviously has a clue about German footie so not a bad draw all round
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Champions League: Round of 16
      Reply #93: Dec 17, 2018 11:27:36 am
      Lucky in some ways to have VVD banned for the home game.

Bayern although a good team are not anywhere near what they have been.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #94: Dec 17, 2018 11:29:19 am
      I'd take anyone. We don't fear anybody. If we're to win it we have to beat them all! We'll beat anyone at Anfield. Bring them on!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #95: Dec 17, 2018 11:30:23 am
      3 teams where there could be a "narrative" around the draw.
      Dortmund - Klopp
      Real Madrid - Looking to get revenge after last season.
      Juventus - Can

In draws like this I always feel it'll be the big ones. Dortmund or Madrid.
      Looking at form this season, I'd rather not face Dortmund.

Ah I forgot the "Previous player & manager" narrative"
      Hummels v Klopp.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #96: Dec 17, 2018 11:39:05 am
      I think our pace will utterly terrify them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #97: Dec 17, 2018 11:42:17 am
      I wanted Porto so bad :( disappointed with this. Should be two great games though!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #98: Dec 17, 2018 11:42:55 am
      3 teams where there could be a "narrative" around the draw.
      Dortmund - Klopp
      Real Madrid - Looking to get revenge after last season.
      Juventus - Can

In draws like this I always feel it'll be the big ones. Dortmund or Madrid.
      Looking at form this season, I'd rather not face Dortmund.

Genuine question (haven't watched them in a while), is Emre Can a regular starter at Juve? Or more of a squad player
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #99: Dec 17, 2018 11:43:53 am
      “Aww Damnit!” - Bayern Munich probably

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #100: Dec 17, 2018 11:48:02 am
      Genuine question (haven't watched them in a while), is Emre Can a regular starter at Juve? Or more of a squad player

Most of his appearances have been as a sub in the league and CL.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #101: Dec 17, 2018 11:51:18 am

Had some injuries and had surgery start of last month.
      Back now though. Had to check Transfermarkt for games played. (13)
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #102: Dec 17, 2018 11:55:48 am
      Delighted with that draw. Bring them on
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #103: Dec 17, 2018 11:58:00 am
      Good draw. Bayern is a shadow of its past, with an aging Robbery and a lame coach (Kovac). Not easy of course but definitely better than Juve or Barca.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #104: Dec 17, 2018 12:03:49 pm
      Bit gutted not to draw Madrid. Still good to get a tie against one of the big sides and happy to avoid Barca for the time being. City the lucky buggers drawing Shalke.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #105: Dec 17, 2018 12:04:52 pm
      Amazing how little we've played them in the European Cup/CL when you consider both clubs' history in the tournament. We put them out in the semi-finals in 1981 was the last time!

Glamour tie, fancy us to win it, as long as we are ok injury wise etc by February. Hopefuly they are still off form by then. Bit of extra spice for Jürgen too.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #106: Dec 17, 2018 12:10:34 pm
      Going to be tough but certainly not impossible
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #107: Dec 17, 2018 12:30:35 pm
      Wonder which Bayern personnel will belittle Anfield next.  :f_whistle:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #108: Dec 17, 2018 12:33:05 pm
      Munich not doing so well in the league. 9 behind Dortmund already.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #109: Dec 17, 2018 12:53:48 pm
      Lewandoski absolutely banging them in this year - 22 in 22
      ThomasMueller
      • On Trial

• 4 posts | 45 
      Reply #110: Dec 17, 2018 12:55:36 pm
      Hey there everybody,

I just registered here to write a few words about our current situation. "Our", that means I'm from Germany and a Bayern Munich Fan. Excuse me for my bad english.

So, where do we start? Last year, we still had a pretty good Team. Everyone, who saw the semi final against Real, could see, that actually we must win these two matches, but we didn't use our chances and Ulreich + Rafinha made some bad mistakes, that costs us the final against.. right, Liverpool. With Heynckes we had a great Coach with a lot of experience, but now the reality is Kovac and 80% of our fans are against him. It's like the Mourinho/United Situation. You know, there is no chance in hell that these managers will be succesfull with the team and bring them to the Champions League Final. Kovac is like "The Chosen One". Great with a midclass team and even beat Bayern last year for the DFB Pokal, but he isn't made for a big team. He has so many tactical Problems (when he was Croatia Coach he once said "Tactical things doesn't matter, it's all about the heart), it's awful and until a few weeks ago german media talked about 13 (!!) players, who were against him. When he brought Thomas Müller in the 70. Minute of a match his wife (!) posted on instagram:"Finally he has a good idea.." and bullshit like that happend the whole season. We fans are totally dissatisfied with Kovac and our whole board (Salihamidzic, Hoeneß and Rummenigge). The Board didn't want to fire Kovac, cause they are to proud to say "Okay, you're right, we made a big mistake to hire Kovac" and so they let him go on.

So therefore the question was - what to do now? The players and Kovac had a conversation und since that conversation we play definitely better again. Before that we tied against Augsburg, Düsseldorf and Freiburg and these teams you can compare to Huddersfield, West Ham and Burnley. Now? We won 3:0 against Nürnberg, 4:0 against Hannover which are also on this level, but we beat them and played really good. Also Benfica when we beat them 5:1. The guys seems like they are a team again and Kovac learned a little bit. Since a few matches, he plays with Goretzka and Kimmich in the central midfield, which is fantastic right now and Müller plays behind Lewandowski, central offensive midfield. THIS is his position and nothing else. In the last years he often played for an injured Robben at the right side, but he can't play that a good way. And thanks to Müller, Lewandowski scores and scores. So if your defense has to care about someone, than it's Lewandowski and Müller.

Our forwards Robben and Ribery brought us the Champions League 2013, but now? They're too old and don't have a Chance against better opponents like you and I think, if nobody is injured at this Point, Kovac will start against you with one of Robben/Ribery (because of their experience, nothing else) and one of Coman/Gnabry. The last ones are our future. High potential, Coman is 22 years, Gnabry 23, both of them are playing really good, but they need a few years to get the class of Salah/Mané or Ribery/Robben in prime time. But Coman, I think, is already on the level to scare your defense a few times. He moves like Salah and has his speed.

So, i talked about Kimmich and Goretzka. These 2 + Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen) are germany's future in the central midfield. Think about my words in a few years. The Problem is: Kimmich usually is our right back since we don't have Lahm anymore and if he plays in the midfield, we only have Rafinha as right back and what should I say? Mané will enjoy the 2 matches, if Kovac plays with Rafinha as right back.

Our Central Backs Boateng, Hummels and Süle this Saison? My God, give me Klavan and Matip and we have a better defense. Seriously, Süle is a little out of form, but actually he's a f***in' beast and damn good, but Hummels and Boateng are sh*t, just sh*t. There is not a single game, in which they don't do a big mistake this Saison, it's unbelieveable and that's the main reason, why we are afraid of playing Liverpool. In Germany we love to watch the Premier League and myself? I watch every Liverpool game, cause every of your match is just enjoying Football. It reminds me of the time, Klopp was at the Dortmund and we had big issues with them. So, the point is, Salah, Mané and Firmino will play our defense dizzy. Is it dizzy? I think so. Alaba always was a Defender, who was worldclass offensive, especially with Ribery on the left side, but in the defense? Pheeew and year after year it get's more worse.

Thiago, someone here said Thiago. Great Player if the whole team plays awesome on a day or if we play against weak teams, but can he bring the Turnaround in a big match? No, he never has.

Javi Martinez once was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, but nowadays? Just a shadow of himself.

Actually the best Player in our squad is James. Worldclass, absolutely brillant. Problem? He's still in a fight with Kovac. Already before the Saison started, there were rumours, Kovac don't like James, he wants him to leave and we fans were like, what the bloody hell? Now James is injured, but he will back after the winter break and then? We'll see. In this form, Müller won't be out of the first 11 and if there is Müller in the first 11, there is no James unfortunatelly. Media says he's still in a fight with Kovac, just like Hummels by the way. They don't like each other. It's a situation like Pogba/Mourinho with the two of them.

I forgot Neuer. Worldclass Keeper? Yes, at least until he was injured for nearly a year. Since the world Cup? You could play with Karius and would not see a difference. I think, now you can imagine, how good Neuer is in the last months.

So, now I wrote a lot and for sure you're already tired to read. So what's the Conclusion? Usually you should not have any problems with us. Right now, you're the better team, absolutely. You have the better players, the better manager, we need a rebuild in the summer (Rafinha, Boateng, Hummels, Robben, Ribery, Martinez.. all out). In the winter, you don't get a good player normally. Van Dijk doesn't like that, yeah, but we? Maybe we get an injured Parvard from Stuttgart and Ante Rebic from Frankfurt. This would be the best, we can get in the winter.

That doesn't mean we lose both matches 5:0, no. You definitely have to watch out for Lewandowski, Müller, Coman, maybe Gnabry and the fact that we won a lot matches, nobody believe we could do at this point or just let it be a match like the United matches 2010. Somehow we won 2:1 in Munich and at old trafford we were down 3:0. After 90 minutes it was 3:2 and we were through the next round.

I'm just looking forward to 2 nice matches and if you beat us, I hope you finally win the Champions League and the Premier League. Your team and your Club is what Football is all about and the love we share to this game.
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2018 01:04:25 pm by ThomasMueller »
      +16
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #111: Dec 17, 2018 12:59:31 pm
      Chuffed tae F**k with that draw,  Munchen are not the team of a season or 3 back, and they will sh*t themselves at the thought of facing us, anyone would,

Like last season we put the fear into teams, particularly the bigger one's, cos they have to change tact when facing us, whereas more often than not they would be the dominant side against a weaker outfit,
      Its not so long ago Barca had that fear factor, i believe we have a similar aura, where no one fancies playing us ?

Good draw that, Klopp will love it.

YNWA 
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #112: Dec 17, 2018 01:02:04 pm
      Hey there everybody,

I just registered here to write a few words about our current situation. "Our", that means I'm from Germany and a Bayern Munich Fan. Excuse me for my bad english.

So, where do we start? Last year, we still had a pretty good Team. Everyone, who saw the semi final against Real, could see, that actually we must win these two matches, but we didn't use our chances and Ulreich + Rafinha made some bad mistakes, that costs us the final against.. right, Liverpool. With Heynckes we had a great Coach with a lot of experience, but now the reality is Kovac and 80% of our fans are against him. It's like the Mourinho/United Situation. You know, there is no chance in hell that these managers will be succesfull with the team and bring them to the Champions League Final. Kovac is like "The Chosen One". Great with a midclass team and even beat Bayern last year for the DFB Pokal, but he isn't made for a big team. He has so many tactical Problems (when he was Croatia Coach he once said "Tactical things doesn't matter, it's all about the heart), it's awful and until a few weeks ago german media talked about 13 (!!) players, who were against him. When he brought Thomas Müller in the 70. Minute of a match his wife (!) posted on instagram:"Finally he has a good idea.." and bullshit like that happend the whole season. We fans are totally dissatisfied with Kovac and our whole board (Salihamidzic, Hoeneß and Rummenigge). The Board didn't want to fire Kovac, cause they are to proud to say "Okay, you're right, we made a big mistake to hire Kovac" and so they let him go on.

So therefore the question was - what to do now? The players and Kovac had a conversation und since that conversation we play definitely better again. Before that we tied against Augsburg, Düsseldorf and Freiburg and these teams you can compare to Huddersfield, West Ham and Burnley. Now? We won 3:0 against Nürnberg, 4:0 against Hannover which are also on this level, but we beat them and played really good. Also Benfica when we beat them 5:1. The guys seems like they are a team again and Kovac learned a little bit. Since a few matches, he plays with Goretzka and Kimmich in the central midfield, which is fantastic right now and Müller plays behind Lewandowski, central offensive midfield. THIS is his position and nothing else. In the last years he often played for an injured Robben at the right side, but he can't play that a good way. And thanks to Müller, Lewandowski scores and scores. So if your defense has to care about someone, than it's Lewandowski and Müller.

Our forwards Robben and Ribery brought us the Champions League 2013, but now? They're too old and don't have a Chance against better opponents like you and I think, if nobody is injured at this Point, Kovac will start against you with one of Robben/Ribery (because of their experience, nothing else) and one of Coman/Gnabry. The last ones are our future. High potential, Coman is 22 years, Gnabry 23, both of them are playing really good, but they need a few years to get the class of Salah/Mané or Ribery/Robben in prime time. But Coman, I think, is already on the level to scare your defense a few times. He moves like Salah and has his speed.

So, i talked about Kimmich and Goretzka. These 2 + Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen) are germany's future in the central midfield. Think about my words in a few years. The Problem is: Kimmich usually is our right back since we don't have Lahm anymore and if he plays in the midfield, we only have Rafinha as right back and what should I say? Mané will enjoy the 2 matches, if Kovac plays with Rafinha as right back.

Our Central Backs Boateng, Hummels and Süle this Saison? My God, give me Klavan and Matip and we have a better defense. Seriously, Süle is a little out of form, but actually he's a f***in' beast and damn good, but Hummels and Boateng are sh*t, just sh*t. There is not a single game, in which they don't do a big mistake this Saison, it's unbelieveable and that's the main reason, why we are afraid of playing Liverpool. In Germany we love to watch the Premier League and myself? I watch every Liverpool game, cause every of your match is just enjoying Football. It reminds me of the time, Klopp was at the Dortmund and we had big issues with them. So, the point is, Salah, Mané and Firmino will play our defense dizzy. Is it dizzy? I think so. Alaba always was a Defender, who was worldclass offensive, especially with Ribery on the left side, but in the defense? Pheeew and year after year it get's more worse.

Thiago, someone here said Thiago. Great Player if the whole team plays awesome on a day or if we play against weak teams, but can he bring the Turnaround in a big match? No, he never has.

Javi Martinez once was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, but nowadays? Just a shadow of himself.

Actually the best Player in our squad is James. Worldclass, absolutely brillant. Problem? He's still in a fight with Kovac. Already before the Saison started, there were rumours, Kovac don't like James, he wants him to leave and we fans were like, what the bloody hell? Now James is injured, but he will back after the winter break and then? We'll see. In this form, Müller won't be out of the first 11 and if there is Müller in the first 11, there is no James unfortunatelly. Media says he's still in a fight with Kovac, just like Hummels by the way. They don't like each other. It's a situation like Pogba/Mourinho with the two of them.

I forgot Neuer. Worldclass Keeper? Yes, at least until he was injured for nearly a year. Since the world Cup? You could play with Karius and would not see a difference. I think, now you can imagine, how good Neuer is in the last months.

So, now I wrote a lot and for sure you're already tired to read. So what's the Conclusion? Usually you should not have any problems with us. Right now, you're the better team, absolutely. You have the better players, the better manager, we need a rebuild in the summer (Rafinha, Boateng, Hummels, Robben, Ribery, Martinez.. all out). In the winter, you don't get a good player normally. Van Dijk doesn't like that, yeah, but we? Maybe we get an injured Parvard from Stuttgart and Ante Rebic from Frankfurt. This would be the best, we can get in the winter.

That doesn't mean we lose both matches 5:0, no. You definitely have to watch out for Lewandowski, Müller, Coman, maybe Gnabry and the fact that we won a lot matches, nobody belive we could do at this point or just let it be a match like the United matches 2010. Somehow we one 2:1 in Munich and at old trafford we were down 3:0. After 90 minutes it was 3:2 and we were through the next round.

I'm just looking forward to 2 nice matches and if you beat us, I hope you finally win the Champions League and the Premier League. Your team and your Club is what Football is all about and the love we share to this game.

Wow written with such passion - welcome.

Good insight, thank you
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #113: Dec 17, 2018 01:06:48 pm
      When is match date confirmed?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #114: Dec 17, 2018 01:14:08 pm
      Hey there everybody,

That doesn't mean we lose both matches 5:0, no. You definitely have to watch out for Lewandowski, Müller, Coman, maybe Gnabry and the fact that we won a lot matches, nobody believe we could do at this point or just let it be a match like the United matches 2010. Somehow we won 2:1 in Munich and at old trafford we were down 3:0. After 90 minutes it was 3:2 and we were through the next round.

Interesting post and welcome

Quick Reply