Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League: Round of 16

Read 14878 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Champions League: Round of 16
      Reply #138: Dec 17, 2018 07:00:31 pm
      As long as we score 2 or more goals at home we should have enough to see off Bayern away..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #139: Dec 17, 2018 07:13:05 pm
      I’ll take that. Cracker tie. Just hope we have everyone available by then.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #140: Dec 17, 2018 07:18:47 pm
      Hey there everybody,

I just registered here to write a few words about our current situation. "Our", that means I'm from Germany and a Bayern Munich Fan. Excuse me for my bad english.

So, where do we start? Last year, we still had a pretty good Team. Everyone, who saw the semi final against Real, could see, that actually we must win these two matches, but we didn't use our chances and Ulreich + Rafinha made some bad mistakes, that costs us the final against.. right, Liverpool. With Heynckes we had a great Coach with a lot of experience, but now the reality is Kovac and 80% of our fans are against him. It's like the Mourinho/United Situation. You know, there is no chance in hell that these managers will be succesfull with the team and bring them to the Champions League Final. Kovac is like "The Chosen One". Great with a midclass team and even beat Bayern last year for the DFB Pokal, but he isn't made for a big team. He has so many tactical Problems (when he was Croatia Coach he once said "Tactical things doesn't matter, it's all about the heart), it's awful and until a few weeks ago german media talked about 13 (!!) players, who were against him. When he brought Thomas MĂŒller in the 70. Minute of a match his wife (!) posted on instagram:"Finally he has a good idea.." and bullshit like that happend the whole season. We fans are totally dissatisfied with Kovac and our whole board (Salihamidzic, Hoeneß and Rummenigge). The Board didn't want to fire Kovac, cause they are to proud to say "Okay, you're right, we made a big mistake to hire Kovac" and so they let him go on.

So therefore the question was - what to do now? The players and Kovac had a conversation und since that conversation we play definitely better again. Before that we tied against Augsburg, DĂŒsseldorf and Freiburg and these teams you can compare to Huddersfield, West Ham and Burnley. Now? We won 3:0 against NĂŒrnberg, 4:0 against Hannover which are also on this level, but we beat them and played really good. Also Benfica when we beat them 5:1. The guys seems like they are a team again and Kovac learned a little bit. Since a few matches, he plays with Goretzka and Kimmich in the central midfield, which is fantastic right now and MĂŒller plays behind Lewandowski, central offensive midfield. THIS is his position and nothing else. In the last years he often played for an injured Robben at the right side, but he can't play that a good way. And thanks to MĂŒller, Lewandowski scores and scores. So if your defense has to care about someone, than it's Lewandowski and MĂŒller.

Our forwards Robben and Ribery brought us the Champions League 2013, but now? They're too old and don't have a Chance against better opponents like you and I think, if nobody is injured at this Point, Kovac will start against you with one of Robben/Ribery (because of their experience, nothing else) and one of Coman/Gnabry. The last ones are our future. High potential, Coman is 22 years, Gnabry 23, both of them are playing really good, but they need a few years to get the class of Salah/Mané or Ribery/Robben in prime time. But Coman, I think, is already on the level to scare your defense a few times. He moves like Salah and has his speed.

So, i talked about Kimmich and Goretzka. These 2 + Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen) are germany's future in the central midfield. Think about my words in a few years. The Problem is: Kimmich usually is our right back since we don't have Lahm anymore and if he plays in the midfield, we only have Rafinha as right back and what should I say? Mané will enjoy the 2 matches, if Kovac plays with Rafinha as right back.

Our Central Backs Boateng, Hummels and SĂŒle this Saison? My God, give me Klavan and Matip and we have a better defense. Seriously, SĂŒle is a little out of form, but actually he's a f***in' beast and damn good, but Hummels and Boateng are sh*t, just sh*t. There is not a single game, in which they don't do a big mistake this Saison, it's unbelieveable and that's the main reason, why we are afraid of playing Liverpool. In Germany we love to watch the Premier League and myself? I watch every Liverpool game, cause every of your match is just enjoying Football. It reminds me of the time, Klopp was at the Dortmund and we had big issues with them. So, the point is, Salah, ManĂ© and Firmino will play our defense dizzy. Is it dizzy? I think so. Alaba always was a Defender, who was worldclass offensive, especially with Ribery on the left side, but in the defense? Pheeew and year after year it get's more worse.

Thiago, someone here said Thiago. Great Player if the whole team plays awesome on a day or if we play against weak teams, but can he bring the Turnaround in a big match? No, he never has.

Javi Martinez once was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, but nowadays? Just a shadow of himself.

Actually the best Player in our squad is James. Worldclass, absolutely brillant. Problem? He's still in a fight with Kovac. Already before the Saison started, there were rumours, Kovac don't like James, he wants him to leave and we fans were like, what the bloody hell? Now James is injured, but he will back after the winter break and then? We'll see. In this form, MĂŒller won't be out of the first 11 and if there is MĂŒller in the first 11, there is no James unfortunatelly. Media says he's still in a fight with Kovac, just like Hummels by the way. They don't like each other. It's a situation like Pogba/Mourinho with the two of them.

I forgot Neuer. Worldclass Keeper? Yes, at least until he was injured for nearly a year. Since the world Cup? You could play with Karius and would not see a difference. I think, now you can imagine, how good Neuer is in the last months.

So, now I wrote a lot and for sure you're already tired to read. So what's the Conclusion? Usually you should not have any problems with us. Right now, you're the better team, absolutely. You have the better players, the better manager, we need a rebuild in the summer (Rafinha, Boateng, Hummels, Robben, Ribery, Martinez.. all out). In the winter, you don't get a good player normally. Van Dijk doesn't like that, yeah, but we? Maybe we get an injured Parvard from Stuttgart and Ante Rebic from Frankfurt. This would be the best, we can get in the winter.

That doesn't mean we lose both matches 5:0, no. You definitely have to watch out for Lewandowski, MĂŒller, Coman, maybe Gnabry and the fact that we won a lot matches, nobody believe we could do at this point or just let it be a match like the United matches 2010. Somehow we won 2:1 in Munich and at old trafford we were down 3:0. After 90 minutes it was 3:2 and we were through the next round.

I'm just looking forward to 2 nice matches and if you beat us, I hope you finally win the Champions League and the Premier League. Your team and your Club is what Football is all about and the love we share to this game.

Thank You for posting, and Welcome to our forum,

There is no doubt Bayern Munich are still a great side despite a few of your players are in the twilight of their carreers, your younger players are very good especially in Kimmich, Goretzka, Rafhina, Bundesliga football is not as quick as it is here in the Epl, however, that does not mean you cannot handle any side from this league, 
      I think your main problem will be dealing with the intensity & the gegenpress that Klopp likes to utilise, 
      We also have the ability to sit in and soak up pressure from aggressive teams and this season in particular we have been more conservative and controlled,

Most Liverpool fans are very happy with the draw and without being disrespectful to BM, feared facing BvB more, not that we indeed fear anyone,

Our two matches will be great games and will be close, but i have to say over the two legs we will prove to good for you.

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #141: Dec 17, 2018 08:40:39 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Obviously I wasn't pointing to any one specific incident, just why only have VAR in the last 16 with millions at stake. Start with VAR and finish with VAR.

Yeah Bayern is OK. But Klopp will treat the tie on it's merits for sure.

The luddites in UEFA took the populist decision last spring not to use it in this year's competition. Then they were embarrassed by it's success at the WC, and now they want to use it all the time.  So the ECA got onto them a few weeks ago and told them to use it asap. This is asap. From next year, it will be used all the way.

I didn't want to face Bayern, and I can't say I'm happy with the draw. I'm sure Xherdan, (and Xabi) didn't want it either, as well as the backroom staff with Bayern connections. Bayern are serial semi finalists, and with the second leg at home, will be favourites. People say Bayern are not great atm, but we're not exactly firing on all cylinders away in Europe either. But when you don't win your group, there are not many nice draws available. So we just have to grin and get through it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #142: Dec 17, 2018 09:26:22 pm
      So, Bayern it is. Wanted them last year at this stage.
      Confident we can beat them over 2 legs, or anyone else for that matter
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #143: Dec 17, 2018 09:41:39 pm
      So we'll have a CL game on a Tuesday before a Premier League game v Man Utd at the weekend...

Worked out well last time. 😉
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #144: Dec 17, 2018 09:46:07 pm
      VAR now comes into it. Strange decision by UEFA...group stages were you could easily get knocked out by a wrong decision and they agree to bring it into play only for the last 16. The biggest club competition in the World.

That idiot Skomina could've easily given Napoli a penalty and we would be out...no VAR. What's the point of only having VAR for the later stages of a competition, surely disadvantages teams in the group stage.

I think I read somewhere that VAR only kicks in at quarter-finals.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #145: Dec 17, 2018 09:46:29 pm
      Hey there everybody,

I just registered here to write a few words about our current situation. "Our", that means I'm from Germany and a Bayern Munich Fan. Excuse me for my bad english.

So, where do we start? Last year, we still had a pretty good Team. Everyone, who saw the semi final against Real, could see, that actually we must win these two matches, but we didn't use our chances and Ulreich + Rafinha made some bad mistakes, that costs us the final against.. right, Liverpool. With Heynckes we had a great Coach with a lot of experience, but now the reality is Kovac and 80% of our fans are against him. It's like the Mourinho/United Situation. You know, there is no chance in hell that these managers will be succesfull with the team and bring them to the Champions League Final. Kovac is like "The Chosen One". Great with a midclass team and even beat Bayern last year for the DFB Pokal, but he isn't made for a big team. He has so many tactical Problems (when he was Croatia Coach he once said "Tactical things doesn't matter, it's all about the heart), it's awful and until a few weeks ago german media talked about 13 (!!) players, who were against him. When he brought Thomas MĂŒller in the 70. Minute of a match his wife (!) posted on instagram:"Finally he has a good idea.." and bullshit like that happend the whole season. We fans are totally dissatisfied with Kovac and our whole board (Salihamidzic, Hoeneß and Rummenigge). The Board didn't want to fire Kovac, cause they are to proud to say "Okay, you're right, we made a big mistake to hire Kovac" and so they let him go on.

So therefore the question was - what to do now? The players and Kovac had a conversation und since that conversation we play definitely better again. Before that we tied against Augsburg, DĂŒsseldorf and Freiburg and these teams you can compare to Huddersfield, West Ham and Burnley. Now? We won 3:0 against NĂŒrnberg, 4:0 against Hannover which are also on this level, but we beat them and played really good. Also Benfica when we beat them 5:1. The guys seems like they are a team again and Kovac learned a little bit. Since a few matches, he plays with Goretzka and Kimmich in the central midfield, which is fantastic right now and MĂŒller plays behind Lewandowski, central offensive midfield. THIS is his position and nothing else. In the last years he often played for an injured Robben at the right side, but he can't play that a good way. And thanks to MĂŒller, Lewandowski scores and scores. So if your defense has to care about someone, than it's Lewandowski and MĂŒller.

Our forwards Robben and Ribery brought us the Champions League 2013, but now? They're too old and don't have a Chance against better opponents like you and I think, if nobody is injured at this Point, Kovac will start against you with one of Robben/Ribery (because of their experience, nothing else) and one of Coman/Gnabry. The last ones are our future. High potential, Coman is 22 years, Gnabry 23, both of them are playing really good, but they need a few years to get the class of Salah/Mané or Ribery/Robben in prime time. But Coman, I think, is already on the level to scare your defense a few times. He moves like Salah and has his speed.

So, i talked about Kimmich and Goretzka. These 2 + Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen) are germany's future in the central midfield. Think about my words in a few years. The Problem is: Kimmich usually is our right back since we don't have Lahm anymore and if he plays in the midfield, we only have Rafinha as right back and what should I say? Mané will enjoy the 2 matches, if Kovac plays with Rafinha as right back.

Our Central Backs Boateng, Hummels and SĂŒle this Saison? My God, give me Klavan and Matip and we have a better defense. Seriously, SĂŒle is a little out of form, but actually he's a f***in' beast and damn good, but Hummels and Boateng are sh*t, just sh*t. There is not a single game, in which they don't do a big mistake this Saison, it's unbelieveable and that's the main reason, why we are afraid of playing Liverpool. In Germany we love to watch the Premier League and myself? I watch every Liverpool game, cause every of your match is just enjoying Football. It reminds me of the time, Klopp was at the Dortmund and we had big issues with them. So, the point is, Salah, ManĂ© and Firmino will play our defense dizzy. Is it dizzy? I think so. Alaba always was a Defender, who was worldclass offensive, especially with Ribery on the left side, but in the defense? Pheeew and year after year it get's more worse.

Thiago, someone here said Thiago. Great Player if the whole team plays awesome on a day or if we play against weak teams, but can he bring the Turnaround in a big match? No, he never has.

Javi Martinez once was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, but nowadays? Just a shadow of himself.

Actually the best Player in our squad is James. Worldclass, absolutely brillant. Problem? He's still in a fight with Kovac. Already before the Saison started, there were rumours, Kovac don't like James, he wants him to leave and we fans were like, what the bloody hell? Now James is injured, but he will back after the winter break and then? We'll see. In this form, MĂŒller won't be out of the first 11 and if there is MĂŒller in the first 11, there is no James unfortunatelly. Media says he's still in a fight with Kovac, just like Hummels by the way. They don't like each other. It's a situation like Pogba/Mourinho with the two of them.

I forgot Neuer. Worldclass Keeper? Yes, at least until he was injured for nearly a year. Since the world Cup? You could play with Karius and would not see a difference. I think, now you can imagine, how good Neuer is in the last months.

So, now I wrote a lot and for sure you're already tired to read. So what's the Conclusion? Usually you should not have any problems with us. Right now, you're the better team, absolutely. You have the better players, the better manager, we need a rebuild in the summer (Rafinha, Boateng, Hummels, Robben, Ribery, Martinez.. all out). In the winter, you don't get a good player normally. Van Dijk doesn't like that, yeah, but we? Maybe we get an injured Parvard from Stuttgart and Ante Rebic from Frankfurt. This would be the best, we can get in the winter.

That doesn't mean we lose both matches 5:0, no. You definitely have to watch out for Lewandowski, MĂŒller, Coman, maybe Gnabry and the fact that we won a lot matches, nobody believe we could do at this point or just let it be a match like the United matches 2010. Somehow we won 2:1 in Munich and at old trafford we were down 3:0. After 90 minutes it was 3:2 and we were through the next round.

I'm just looking forward to 2 nice matches and if you beat us, I hope you finally win the Champions League and the Premier League. Your team and your Club is what Football is all about and the love we share to this game.

Fascinating insight. While you may have problems the very fact that you contain some of the best and most consistent performers Europe has seen in the last decade or so means this match stands up as a fantastic tie and that none of us will be counting our chickens. It's the tie of the round for me. Klopp up against his old rival and there will be no man more motivated to try and beat you than him I'm sure.

I've been waiting a long time for us to be drawn against Munich in Europe. Even during the days of Benitez's fine exploits in Europe we never came up against you so this one has been a long time coming. Britain's greatest team vs Germany's greatest team. Magic.

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2018 09:57:33 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #146: Dec 17, 2018 09:49:16 pm
      I've been waiting a long time for us to be drawn against Munich in Europe. Even during the days of Bentiez's fine exploits in Europe we never came up against you so this one has been a long time coming

Exactly me.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #147: Dec 17, 2018 11:24:50 pm
      For me league most important thing these year be so long since we won league or even premier league if we don't get through next round not end or world l what us really go league these year
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #148: Dec 18, 2018 12:14:55 am
      Happy with that Tie

JĂŒrgen gets to go home for a bit and see the Clan. Am sure he will be looking forward to it.

One thing we know is they will attack us and we love playing teams that attack us.

Just Gutted Virgil out of the 1st Leg. Hopefully Joe Gomez back to full fitness by then.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #149: Dec 18, 2018 01:03:46 am
      The luddites in UEFA took the populist decision last spring not to use it in this year's competition. Then they were embarrassed by it's success at the WC, and now they want to use it all the time.  So the ECA got onto them a few weeks ago and told them to use it asap. This is asap. From next year, it will be used all the way.

I didn't want to face Bayern, and I can't say I'm happy with the draw. I'm sure Xherdan, (and Xabi) didn't want it either, as well as the backroom staff with Bayern connections. Bayern are serial semi finalists, and with the second leg at home, will be favourites. People say Bayern are not great atm, but we're not exactly firing on all cylinders away in Europe either. But when you don't win your group, there are not many nice draws available. So we just have to grin and get through it.

I'm happy enough, could've been worse. Shaqiri won't be be affected, he's a professional. Doubt the backroom staff would be put out by this draw. Positive in that they know the club. Klopp obviously know German football. I'm under no illusion, it will be a very difficult tie. Nothing easy, but it's more about us not them. Klopp won't be worrying about who we play next.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #150: Dec 18, 2018 01:05:01 am
      Along with Porto, think it’s the easiest tie we could have asked for. They are having a very mixed season.
      Couple of my mates are German and support Bayern and in the summer they were saying how badly they need to address their defence, it’s slow and vulnerable. They’ve got in general quite an aging squad too. I wanted Madrid or Barca but will happily take Bayern. They are past their best this season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #151: Dec 18, 2018 01:13:48 am
      Along with Porto, think it’s the easiest tie we could have asked for. They are having a very mixed season.
      Couple of my mates are German and support Bayern and in the summer they were saying how badly they need to address their defence, it’s slow and vulnerable. They’ve got in general quite an aging squad too. I wanted Madrid or Barca but will happily take Bayern. They are past their best this season.

The times I’ve seen Hummels and Boateng play, they’ve been horrendous. Hummels has the pace and mobility of a handicapped sloth. Boateng looks all over the place.

They play a fairly high line so Mo and Mané against Hummels should surely play in to our favour with the space left behind.

Glad our German intel has said the same. Makes me feel a bit better about our chances which were already high, IMO.

The worry is they could knock a couple in the first leg with no Virgil and Lewandowski on fire at the moment.

Still very happy. Confident we’ll progress. Expecting a hiccup or two along the way but a comfortable passage through to the QFs.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #152: Dec 18, 2018 02:58:16 am
      it will be 60 years since Shankly to over at Anfield next year it would be nice to celebrate that with a league and CL win I don't think I am being greedy.

No your not Walton, but some might say you were Avericious    ;)  ;D

YNWA
      ThomasMueller
      • On Trial

• 4 posts | 45 
      Reply #153: Dec 18, 2018 08:13:51 am
      First of all, thanks to all of you for welcoming me :)

I think your main problem will be dealing with the intensity & the gegenpress that Klopp likes to utilise, 

Most Liverpool fans are very happy with the draw and without being disrespectful to BM, feared facing BvB more, not that we indeed fear anyone

Yes, the gegenpress is our biggest problem. It always was. Already at the time Klopp was BVB Coach, we couldn't handle it really and this season? Just watch our matches against BVB (2:3) and Ajax (1:1 and 3:3). We're overwhelmed with this kind of play and have a lot of problems. Next thing is, we don't have the top fitness anymore. In the last couple of years in my opinion we always were one of the fittest teams in europe. No matter if our Coach was van Gaal, Heynckes or Pep. Except Ancelotti (funny story that his Fitness Coach is chain smoker and our players said that they don't train enough and do some Training sessions by themselves, cause they feeled not fit enough) and except Kovac. In the matches against BVB and Ajax you could see, that we were not on a high intense level as soon as we reached the ~70. minute. Yes, the last Match against Ajax we still turned around to 2:3 (and should have won it, cause the last Ajax Goal was offside), but it was a complete crazy match and we saw, that Ajax had the better fitness and thinkin about you, Jesus. One of the fascinating things about you is, that you never become tired. Even in the Man City matches last CL season, nothing. You just kept going on and on, just awesome. A german reporter wrote after your United match on sunday "Every Liverpool match is a celebration at this time, every single one." Btw., in my opinion Pep will never win the CL again if he never learns that his defence should not stand so far at the top. The reason, why Bayern never got into the final with him. Counter-attacks killed us. Anyway.

A few words about Dortmund: Yes, this season you have to fear them more than us. With Favre they have a great manager. One of the best, we ever had in the league and whereever he was, he was successful. ZĂŒrich, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Hertha BSC Berlin, Nizza and now BVB, Favre is a genius. Especially his in game coaching is fantastic. Just one of the things, that makes him a better manager than Kovac. And Dortmund just have a brillant Team. Delaney, who btw. always dreamed about playing in the premier league and last season was close to an Everton move, and Axel Witsel are an awesome central midfield. In the front I don't have to say anything to Marco Reus I think, but just look at Jadon Sancho. I wait for a Premier League Team to buy him for 80 Million or something like that in 1 or 2 years. Christian Pulisic, here in Germany are a lot of rumours that Chelsea definitely wants him, no matter how much he will cost them. Paco Alcacer, not good in Barcelona, but now in Dortmund no words needed. His first 10 Goals took him exactly 10 shots. Yes, really. And Favre often brings him in the second half, because most of the goals he scored, he did in the second half. Everytime he comes in, he scores, it's unbelieveable. And Mario Götze. After Klopp there were Tuchel, Bosz, Stöger. 3 Managers and nobody made it, to get Götze to the level he was a few years ago at his first time in Dortmund and I think he never will be (Götze has a metabolic disease, which is also the reason why he sometimes seems a little bit to thick and is not so powerful and maneuverable anymore), but Favre thought what can I do to help him and finally found a position and a way to play that Götze perfect fits in and plays in a way he hasn't for a long, long time.

So, Dortmund has an amazing offensive and midfield, but the defence is also their problem. Diallo (22), Akanji (23), Hakimi (20) are in the first 11. All of them have the potential to become worldclass players, but now they are too young to beat teams like you, Barcelona, PSG for example.

Well, if you face Dortmund in the next rounds, you already have a little assessment ;)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #154: Dec 18, 2018 06:11:05 pm

Yes, the gegenpress is our biggest problem. It always was. Already at the time Klopp was BVB Coach, we couldn't handle it really and this season? Just watch our matches against BVB (2:3) and Ajax (1:1 and 3:3). We're overwhelmed with this kind of play and have a lot of problems. Next thing is, we don't have the top fitness anymore. In the last couple of years in my opinion we always were one of the fittest teams in europe. No matter if our Coach was van Gaal, Heynckes or Pep. Except Ancelotti (funny story that his Fitness Coach is chain smoker and our players said that they don't train enough and do some Training sessions by themselves, cause they feeled not fit enough) and except Kovac. In the matches against BVB and Ajax you could see, that we were not on a high intense level as soon as we reached the ~70. minute. Yes, the last Match against Ajax we still turned around to 2:3 (and should have won it, cause the last Ajax Goal was offside), but it was a complete crazy match and we saw, that Ajax had the better fitness and thinkin about you, Jesus. One of the fascinating things about you is, that you never become tired. Even in the Man City matches last CL season, nothing. You just kept going on and on, just awesome. A german reporter wrote after your United match on sunday "Every Liverpool match is a celebration at this time, every single one." Btw., in my opinion Pep will never win the CL again if he never learns that his defence should not stand so far at the top. The reason, why Bayern never got into the final with him. Counter-attacks killed us. Anyway.

A few words about Dortmund: Yes, this season you have to fear them more than us. With Favre they have a great manager. One of the best, we ever had in the league and whereever he was, he was successful. ZĂŒrich, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Hertha BSC Berlin, Nizza and now BVB, Favre is a genius. Especially his in game coaching is fantastic. Just one of the things, that makes him a better manager than Kovac. And Dortmund just have a brillant Team. Delaney, who btw. always dreamed about playing in the premier league and last season was close to an Everton move, and Axel Witsel are an awesome central midfield. In the front I don't have to say anything to Marco Reus I think, but just look at Jadon Sancho. I wait for a Premier League Team to buy him for 80 Million or something like that in 1 or 2 years. Christian Pulisic, here in Germany are a lot of rumours that Chelsea definitely wants him, no matter how much he will cost them. Paco Alcacer, not good in Barcelona, but now in Dortmund no words needed. His first 10 Goals took him exactly 10 shots. Yes, really. And Favre often brings him in the second half, because most of the goals he scored, he did in the second half. Everytime he comes in, he scores, it's unbelieveable. And Mario Götze. After Klopp there were Tuchel, Bosz, Stöger. 3 Managers and nobody made it, to get Götze to the level he was a few years ago at his first time in Dortmund and I think he never will be (Götze has a metabolic disease, which is also the reason why he sometimes seems a little bit to thick and is not so powerful and maneuverable anymore), but Favre thought what can I do to help him and finally found a position and a way to play that Götze perfect fits in and plays in a way he hasn't for a long, long time.

So, Dortmund has an amazing offensive and midfield, but the defence is also their problem. Diallo (22), Akanji (23), Hakimi (20) are in the first 11. All of them have the potential to become worldclass players, but now they are too young to beat teams like you, Barcelona, PSG for example.

Well, if you face Dortmund in the next rounds, you already have a little assessment ;)

more great insight - thank you
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #155: Dec 18, 2018 06:15:19 pm

Any chance the board might be tempted to take a risk on Jose now he’s “free” mate?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #156: Dec 18, 2018 06:31:33 pm
      They all have to learn the hard way don’t they.......

https://twitter.com/anfieldedition/status/1075055665238982657?s=21
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #157: Dec 18, 2018 06:34:58 pm

He’s obviously hasn’t watched us play for a while - can’t wait for this
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #158: Dec 18, 2018 06:38:11 pm
      He has a point. We have been vulnerable in the CL this season, particularly away from home.

Saying that, he should be worried about his own team’s vulnerabilities as opposed to ours.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #159: Dec 18, 2018 06:47:49 pm
      He has a point. We have been vulnerable in the CL this season, particularly away from home.

Saying that, he should be worried about his own team’s vulnerabilities as opposed to ours.

We’re in great nick.

Napoli and PSG were better performances than either of the 7-0 in the  group stages last season.

They’ll see soon enough.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #160: Dec 20, 2018 12:09:46 am
      Bayern is strong. They made it through the group stage with much ease while we came out of a a very tough group with napoli and psg, not forgetting we have to put up with those bowling pins of psg and some shady refeering. We were badly wounded along the way with some below par performances and poor results. But that's the past.

Over the years, i do notice that whoever barely made it out of a tough group stage is like a wounded tiger and they will rise to the occassion thereon and LFC is gonna be a very dangerous opponent to face. We have faced one of the best in psg and napoli and we are ready to face anyone. Bayern is to be respected but not feared and for that matter if it is barca we will still have to face them and think of a way to beat them.

Quick Reply