Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Ki-Jana Hoever (Liverpool -> Wolves)

Read 35116 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,935 posts | 501 
      Re: Ki-Jana Hoever
      Reply #46: Jan 09, 2019 08:14:02 pm
      He's still too young and slightly built to be starting games for us. He looks a talented boy, but in shoulder to shoulder contests with the grown men he was playing against the other night it was a huge mismatch. If he was a forward it might be worth the risk, but you can't have a skinny wee kid playing in your back 4 at PL/CL level - he'd get eaten alive.

In a year or 2 when he fills out he might be a great option for us, but we're kidding ourselves if we think he is ready for first team football this season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #47: Jan 09, 2019 08:33:54 pm
      A lot of CB's start life at full back he isn't physically strong enough to play regularly at CB but on the bench and time at FB why not especially at Anfield when the game is all but over
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #48: Jan 10, 2019 04:14:17 pm
      Good article by Pearce today detailing how he was scouted by Barry Hunter, his family given the Royal treatment on a tour of Kirkby and Anfield which convinced them that we were the right place for his development. Since he wasn't old enough to sign a pro deal in Holland, he only cost the club 100,000 Euros. He turns 17 next week and is set to sign a pro deal then. Now he gets 145 a week. He lives with a local family and his parents come over every weekend.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #49: Jan 10, 2019 06:10:06 pm
      Good article by Pearce today detailing how he was scouted by Barry Hunter, his family given the Royal treatment on a tour of Kirkby and Anfield which convinced them that we were the right place for his development. Since he wasn't old enough to sign a pro deal in Holland, he only cost the club 100,000 Euros. He turns 17 next week and is set to sign a pro deal then. Now he gets 145 a week. He lives with a local family and his parents come over every weekend.

Not a dig at Liverpool because you’ve got to play the game but this is a lot of what is wrong with football these days. This lad should be playing and developing in his homeland where a club there can benefit from his talents and then hopefully make a few €s. That he can be snatched away by one of the richest football clubs in the world at 16 for peanuts is wrong
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2019 06:42:07 pm

Not a dig at Liverpool because you’ve got to play the game but this is a lot of what is wrong with football these days. This lad should be playing and developing in his homeland where a club there can benefit from his talents and then hopefully make a few €s. That he can be snatched away by one of the richest football clubs in the world at 16 for peanuts is wrong

I actually agree with this. I think Hoever will develop slower here as he will probably be playing less first team action.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2019 07:13:25 pm
      Full back for now. VVD long term replacement in the future.

No pressure!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2019 07:20:26 pm
      I actually agree with this. I think Hoever will develop slower here as he will probably be playing less first team action.

And yet he,his family, advisers thought moving to Liverpool would be better for him what would they know?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2019 07:27:53 pm

And yet he,his family, advisers thought moving to Liverpool would be better for him what would they know?

Well, there is more probability of playing week in, week out between the ages of 17-20 at a lesser league or lesser club at a big league than you would at a big club.

Imo, As good as a talent he is, to really progress, he will need to play regular first team football. I think Ajax would have been perfect for him than coming here.... on paper of course.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #54: Jan 10, 2019 07:35:58 pm
      Maybe but he would not be a Liverpool player and i really could give a flying F**k about how a kid progresses at another club.He wanted to move here good enough for me.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #55: Jan 10, 2019 07:45:05 pm
      I think it’s far too early to suggest that he’s going to be world class one day. He obviously has buckets of potential though. I find it difficult to look too far ahead when we’ve seen the likes of Flanagan, Robinson and Wisdom in recent years who all shown promise early on in their Liverpool careers. We’ll see how he fares in the odd game here and there over the next year or so.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #56: Jan 10, 2019 08:53:15 pm
      I think it’s far too early to suggest that he’s going to be world class one day. He obviously has buckets of potential though. I find it difficult to look too far ahead when we’ve seen the likes of Flanagan, Robinson and Wisdom in recent years who all shown promise early on in their Liverpool careers. We’ll see how he fares in the odd game here and there over the next year or so.

Wisdom was doing great and then Brendan took him off at half time in the Derby and it seemed to shatter him. He has someone like Trent to really help him having been through it himself
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #57: Jan 10, 2019 09:28:40 pm
      Young lad has a long way to go'... But the initial signs are looking good
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #58: Jan 10, 2019 09:31:46 pm
      He is RB isn't he? I agree that CB would be far too risky, but as RB against lesser opponents I'd give him a few minutes here and there.
      not against some game time hear and there in games that we have put to bed, but not starting him against Brighton
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #59: Jan 10, 2019 09:41:11 pm
      Well, there is more probability of playing week in, week out between the ages of 17-20 at a lesser league or lesser club at a big league than you would at a big club.

Imo, As good as a talent he is, to really progress, he will need to play regular first team football. I think Ajax would have been perfect for him than coming here.... on paper of course.
      Ajax is one of the very best clubs in Europe to learn to play football, coming away from there you can play in almost any position, Gullit called it "Total Football". You learn to play in all areas of the pitch not just your own, you become a more rounded player...

I am all for buying him, but we should have loaned him back for two year or so to let him develop
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #60: Jan 10, 2019 10:19:57 pm

So do you think we would have had a George Best if he had stayed at home ?.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #61: Jan 11, 2019 03:25:03 pm
      So do you think we would have had a George Best if he had stayed at home ?.

As I mentioned before, there is more likelihood of him playing first team games at Ajax and developing quicker between the ages of 17-20.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #62: Jan 11, 2019 03:30:29 pm
      As I mentioned before, there is more likelihood of him playing first team games at Ajax and developing quicker between the ages of 17-20.

I don't know where this idea comes from, because if he is playing at a lower level, then the benefits are not there.

As it is, he's (apparently) training with the senior squad, which, given the players we have, would seem to me to be much better for his development.

Plus, too many promising kids have been fu**ed up by playing first team football too early in weak leagues.
      First team football is often overrated in a young players development.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #63: Jan 11, 2019 04:35:12 pm
      I don't know where this idea comes from, because if he is playing at a lower level, then the benefits are not there.

As it is, he's (apparently) training with the senior squad, which, given the players we have, would seem to me to be much better for his development.

The idea comes from the likes of, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Ajax, PSV, Monaco, Southampton, Anderlecht, Lyon, Brazilian clubs etc etc where lesser clubs have given ample opportunity for kids to develop in first team football and then sold later on to bigger clubs where they have become exceptional/world class players.

Plus, too many promising kids have been fu**ed up by playing first team football too early in weak leagues.

And one could make the argument for promising kids being fu**ed by not playing at an earlier age with first team football more beneficial than training with first team players.

Personally, If I were 16-18, I would choose 15-25 games a season at a club like, Southampton, Ajax, Dortmund , Lyon, Monaco etc over 3-4 games and training with seniors at a big club.
      danaxe
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #64: Jan 11, 2019 05:04:13 pm
      We should all remember that he is a kid.. I mean what did you do when you were 16, guys 16...

With our injury situation he were given the opportunity to train with the first team, that’s great but I doubt that it was in his development plan for the 18/19 campaign.

He is receiving game time in;
      U18 PL
      PL2
      Uefa youth league

And training with the squads above accordingly. The call up to first team were a lucky coincidence by the circumstances and he embraced it.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #65: Jan 11, 2019 05:18:29 pm

It is a classic debate which I think Pep mention when the idea of having B squads in the lower leagues was thrown around where you get the best of both worlds where players get to train with the best and train to fit the system of the first team while playing matches vs men and results matter as oppose to the u23 league they have now. I always felt some point players do need to play first team football, training can only do so much for a player.

As far as Hoever is concern hopefully we don't have to see him in the first team for the rest of the season (only reason be up would be injury crisis). Hope he can continue to develop and see where he is next pre-season
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #66: Jan 11, 2019 06:38:18 pm
      We should all remember that he is a kid.. I mean what did you do when you were 16, guys 16...

Smoked weed, drank cider and wanked meself off.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #67: Jan 11, 2019 08:30:14 pm
      Id still go with him tomorrow alongside Virgil. Let Fab play mid with Gini and Keita.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6638 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #68: Jan 12, 2019 08:25:31 am
      Smoked weed, drank cider and wanked meself off.

F**k, nothing's changed for me and I'm 47 🤣🤣

Quick Reply