Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Gerrard: Too many Foreign Players

Read 5488 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Gerrard: Too many Foreign Players
      Nov 15, 2007 12:16:01 am
      This was a snippet from the The Mail

Steven Gerrard has demanded an end to the Premier League's foreign invasion and called for a quota system to save England's international future.

England will miss their first major tournament since the 1994 World Cup if they fail to qualify for Euro 2008 and Gerrard is forecasting a bleak future.

He said: 'If foreigners do take over completely, it will affect our team and will be even worse than it is now. I can proudly say I am playing in one of the best leagues in the world, but the important thing is to have one of the best national teams as well.'

Gerrard, captain for the international in Austria tomorrow and the final Euro 2008 qualifier against Croatia on Wednesday, added: 'It's important to keep bringing quality players through, the likes of Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen.

Otherwise the national team will suffer.' Of the so-called top four teams — Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool — only 10 English players made the starting line-ups last weekend.

Liverpool have players in their academy from as far afield as Kosovo and Australia, and Gerrard fears they are preventing English talent blossoming.

He said: 'I'm all for quotas. I support the Liverpool academy now and I'm desperate for another young English player to come through.

'I support the national team as well. There is a big danger that we stop producing quality young kids because of the number of foreigners in the game. Young players have to get the chance.

'I sit here as an international, but I would never have sat here without the chance from Gerard Houllier.'
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Re: Gerrard: Too many Foreign Players
      Reply #1: Nov 15, 2007 12:30:46 am
      Nice of him to mention GH...long forgotten by many but a manager that brought Liverpool a number of trophies in his time. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Nov 15, 2007 12:44:38 am
      It's good that Stevie would like to see more English players coming through the Acadamy but I don't know how these comments will be taken by the foreign players in the squad. He has to remember that it is these foreign players that have played a big part in our success over the last few years. Also it seems that he is a  bit more concerned with English players coming through to help the national side rather than Liverpool. I would love to see more English players in the team as I think it is good to have a local influence in the squad but not if it affects the quality of players at the club. I am a firm believer that if a player is good enough then he will get his chance no matter what his nationality is.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Nov 15, 2007 01:01:21 am
      Is it not a case of Too Many Good Foreign Players though?

Grass roots level is what the FA should be thinking about so England can have quality players in many years to come. There's plenty of future Gerrards knocking about on council estates. Also the money that's quoted for some potential english player transfers is stupid.

Not too sure why Gerrard is opening his mouth to be honest. Some sort of a media stunt to deflect attention from the mass media attack if England don't qualify?

The problem is breeding English players and the cost of established English players.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #4: Nov 15, 2007 01:03:03 am
      It's good that Stevie would like to see more English players coming through the Acadamy but I don't know how these comments will be taken by the foreign players in the squad. He has to remember that it is these foreign players that have played a big part in our success over the last few years. Also it seems that he is a  bit more concerned with English players coming through to help the national side rather than Liverpool. I would love to see more English players in the team as I think it is good to have a local influence in the squad but not if it affects the quality of players at the club. I am a firm believer that if a player is good enough then he will get his chance no matter what his nationality is.

Thats it in a nutshell...if an academy player is to progress in his career it matters not what nationality he is. A good coach will always, hopefully notice talent & promote that within a clubs hierarchy.

Funny though I think I read somewhere that Arsene Wenger regretted letting David Bentley go knowing what we do now about him but for the life of me I can't find where I got this from...I'm sure I didn't dream it!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Nov 15, 2007 01:08:15 am
      I heard that as well about Bentley DM. Like you can't remember where I heard it either.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Nov 15, 2007 01:17:02 am
      Sure someone has mentioned the Bentley thing on here? Think it might have been Eddie in one of the transfer threads. Could be wrong.

I am a firm believer that if a player is good enough then he will get his chance no matter what his nationality is.

Totally agree mate.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Nov 15, 2007 10:16:38 am
      England have been cack for 40 years the foriegners have only really started coming over in droves since the premiership started,so whats the excuse for the other 25 years?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #8: Nov 15, 2007 04:09:39 pm
      But on the other side of the coin, foreigners coming in can only inspire younger English players to push themselves to show that they are the same level as them, if we get rid of all the foreigners then we will be left with average English players. Completely disagree with all this 'foreigners are spoiling the game' garbage. If the players good enough then he will make the grade.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Nov 15, 2007 04:32:54 pm
      I agree with Stevie. That's all I can say really. Completely agree with him.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #10: Nov 15, 2007 04:45:15 pm
      I totally disagree with Gerrard.  I think like RK its the grass root level that needs more considerations and as for first team football use the championship for these tests, not premiership.   We should have a bench mark league with the focus to maintain and improve the standards that will enable fewer but better players to play in.  Our players do not have a good record of playing in other european leagues and I think that is something that we should be trying promote.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Nov 15, 2007 05:14:41 pm
      Why should the Championship 'suffer' from tests!? Hell no. Try it on non league teams if anything!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #12: Nov 22, 2007 09:09:22 pm
      Hey, he was quick to mension that yesterday's performance was the lowest point of his England career and not his true career!   ;)   Just reassuring us order of priority!
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #13: Nov 23, 2007 12:49:38 am
       too many foreign players?

if thats the case then its only forced the premiership to a higher standard of football and maybe to become the best league in the world, thereby creating a real test for the British lads to measure up to.

and Gerrard, Rooney, Beckham, Terry, Ferdinand, Owen and most recently Walcott have come through English clubs and have showed that they are good enough if not world class. Why don't Italy and Spain suffer the same symptom of too many foreign players?

my verdict

too many mediocre managers
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2007 12:52:22 am by LondonRed »
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #14: Dec 11, 2007 10:44:13 am
      Look in Italy and Spain national teams!
      They have much wider choice. Many players fight to get a spot in the national team!
      Three or more best goalkeepers are in Spain!
       Where are they in England?
      Italy have a lot of forwards (even who are aged have the chance to be in the team).May be Italy have problems with fans but they don't have problems to find Italian coaches!
      In England those two Liverpool wunderkinds (Owen and Rooney) are irreplaceable!
      Who do you remember as last English manager to win PL or CL. When was it?
      You English prefer seeing the best abroad.
      For me, it's necessary to have a reasonable balance between foreign and native players in the club.
      Why to strain yourselves  to nurture yr own talents, better to buy gifted players abroad. They have been already brought up!
      So England, all the world want to thank you for cultivating their players!

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #15: Dec 11, 2007 12:57:49 pm
      The grass roots level is where we should be looking for decent English players!

At the end of the day, if we were producing excellent English players, they should be competing against the best in the home league. Providing the fact that our home-grown players are, on the whole, sh*te, then we need to have the best players for English players to compete against, hone their skills and improve themselves as football players.

To prove our players are getting better, then they need to push the best players out of a team to get a place. Because they are Spanish, French or American shouldn't come into it. If the player is good, it shouldn't matter where they're from. It's the quality of player that counts. If the English player is to prove he is good enough, then he should be outshining ALL players at club level.

Also, as I'm not really arsed about England, why should our clubs suffer because the FA couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery? It's their fault we have mediocre training for up and coming kids! The opportunities weren't that great when I was playing football as a kid! We were given one chance in our school, and if you weren't good enough for the school team, the teachers wouldn't give you a minute in PE! From that, my football suffered and I've never really took off and I can't keep up in 5 a side now! ;)

Apply this on a wider basis, I'm sure it goes on! More training should be provided at a higher quality! It's what France did! They pumped money into the training of children and it eventually took them to winning the World Cup in '98,and a consistently achieving squad now! I'm pretty sure they didn't cap their foreign players! The fact is, the majority of their top class players are now playing in the Premiership, Italy and Spain!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #16: Dec 12, 2007 11:23:06 am
      Sorry,County RD Kopite, that no one gave you such opportunities.You could have been a
      great player!
      I agree that everything begins from childhood. But on one hand, foreign players make improving yr native ones,on the other,they can block for native to be in the squad
      We where Iam from often use the saying (I try to translate it correctly.May be something like
       this there is in English language)
      Talanted people need to be helped, but mediocrity make their way in the world themselves!
      I understand that it's not of your competention of solving such problems.
      But I think it's possible.May be people from the FA are indifferent to that too.
      For me, it's strange, because I get used that country come first...
      May be it comes from my Soviet education. I was born in U.S.S.R. but was educated in
      independent Republic.

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #17: Dec 12, 2007 12:18:36 pm
      I would agree with a lot of sentaments regarding Mr Gs comments, however it is fair to point out that La Liga, Seria A and other top leagues also have a number of foreign players in them. The problem with the English national team does not lye with the number of foreign players, Italy has a large proportion of foreign players but won the world cup, the problem lyes with player attitudes and should soley lye with management who tactically tinkered in such crucial games that he should have been shot at dawn for such utter stupidity.

I also think that by restricting the number of foreign nationals in sides would probably see a mass exodus from these shores of talent going to other leagues thus making those leagues a better product and in the long run for the FA to lose money would not be an option. you would also see clubs like Arsenal kick up beyond all belief over such a prospect seeing as all but one of their current squad is not english.

I would agree that something radical needs to be done, but before the national talent comes through the acadamies the area of attitude of the current crop needs to be addressed. Steven Gerrard is probably one of the more down to earth characters anyone would wish to meet and deserves to wear the England shirt and in fact be England Captain. His go getter attitude and never say die attitude need to be infused into the current crop of prema donnas. The likes of Ashely Cole Rio Ferdinand and others seem to think that its their enamiable right to play for England and make demands upon the national sqauds resources which at times have been outrageuos. If something radical is to happen the eduction of the future England Internationals should begin with a classroom in which the subtle lesson of ethical behavior should be taught. Ethics would lead onto a lesson in what it means to be English and instill in these young players an attitude of national pride, which sadly is missing badly in the current crop with a few exceptions.

I would argue that in order for all National Teams to compete fairly in a world cup and in order for our own national side to compete it would be a radical approach to maybe take most of the England squad from the Championship or lower leagues and try to compete on even footing with players who have the passion and pride to be there. I know that there are some that would argue the lower leagues lack quality and obvious pace, but I would argue by taking such a radical move in the end it would produce a team and not a group of prima donna superstars whose attitude stinks.

In conclusion perhaps another radical idea needs to addressed with regards to the rest of the higher quality players, within all leagues and it should not matter what nationallity they are. We are currently bombarded by all corners of the media from the relevant countries which state their league is the best in the world. So lets go out and prove it and have an Inter League World Cup where nationality does not matter. After all nationality shouldnt matter are we not all human beings in the end. Except Manchester United!!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Dec 12, 2007 01:01:10 pm
      I would argue that in order for all National Teams to compete fairly in a world cup and in order for our own national side to compete it would be a radical approach to maybe take most of the England squad from the Championship or lower leagues and try to compete on even footing with players who have the passion and pride to be there. I know that there are some that would argue the lower leagues lack quality and obvious pace, but I would argue by taking such a radical move in the end it would produce a team and not a group of prima donna superstars whose attitude stinks.

I like that idea! For obvious reasons of course, but it is mostly lower league teams who place all their hopes of success on the national team as we've all got our own hopes for our clubs up in the Premiership! ;D Let's see if they're so demanding when it's a player from one of their clubs they're demanding should play through injury! ;)

Good post by the way Prag! :)
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Dec 13, 2007 11:56:22 am
      Agree...
      Stars get used the is irreplaceable and know they will be always in the team.So they become quiet about their position and do nothing.
      And they often play with air "be happy that we agree to be in the squad" not even to play.
      I have the opportunity to watch with envy how amateurish team were playing with professional in the FA.How they were supported!
      Try to promote that idea, Pragmatic, if it's possible, of course.
      As it's said nothing is impossible!
      MissusFernandoTorres
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      • King of Spain
      Reply #20: Mar 19, 2008 08:46:54 am
      who would want a league without the likes of torres or fab? we want to see the best players in the prem-wherever they come from. on the other hand, we've got to get top young english lads coming through or england will never win the world cup again

Quick Reply