Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.8%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      72 (60%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      10 (8.3%)
       Fabinho
      7 (5.8%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      27 (22.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Dec 25, 2018 09:54:11 pm

Wolves 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27029 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Wolves 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Dec 22, 2018 12:13:26 am
      Just got back from the match after a few celebratory drinks.

I thought first half there was no difference between the two sides apart from the goal, Milner was having a torrid time as fullback.

Second half we controlled the ball much better and despite the odd bit of sloppy play we dictated the play.

Sadio had a bit of a shocker and I was surprised he was not replaced by Shaq.
      VVD is on another level at one point Traore had a couple of metres on him in a foot race and he got back to smother him.

A tough place to get a result and we made it look relatively easy.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #369: Dec 22, 2018 12:16:56 am
      * Best defence in the league? Check.
      * Best attack in the league? Check.
      * Best supersub in the league? Check.

May as well go ahead and hand us the trophy now.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #370: Dec 22, 2018 12:20:57 am
      Get in. Solid professional job well done
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #371: Dec 22, 2018 01:58:50 am
      We just have to remain focussed 100% and not get distracted by irrelevant issues. Almost 1/2 season gone and we in good standing. Even sone setbacjs alibg tge way we must nit get distracted. Ithers will also gave setbacks abd we need to ensure we have less than them. Fab and Vvd is the major difference that made us consistent.

What the hell happened in the middle of this post 😂😂😂
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #372: Dec 22, 2018 02:24:42 am
      What a great win that was. Field was so soaked every long pass was in danger of the ball dying halfway through its path and a few did leading to some scary turnovers. Top class redirection by Mo for the goal and Fabinho with another strong game. We have so many options in midfield it's scary.

I do, however, wish for Santa to bring us a LM/LW so we don't have to play the likes of Keita or Lallana there when Mane is either not playing or on the right. It just doesn't suit them and becomes a weak link. Any injury to Mane and we're fu**ed in that position.

Huge 3 points and we need to stay ahead of City so that in our trip to Etihad we can leave there with a draw and still on top.

I think it's the first full game i've watched of Wolves and i really like them, plus their radioactive logo is pretty cool. Like Bournemouth, they don't just bunker up for 90 minutes hope to beat you on a counter but rather play good football. Hopefully they invest in some scoring because their finishing today was dire and they'd probably be able to challenge for a top 6 spot if they did.

Too bad City play Palace tomorrow because they'll just grab their ankles and let City have at it.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #373: Dec 22, 2018 03:32:12 am
      Heard them say 7 goals conceded by Christmas is a new record!!  :o

Man City had 4 points more last Christmas (on basis of same number of games), but they had conceded 12 goals.

All about how we kick on from here. Last time we were top at Christmas, we messed it all up vs Man City on Boxing Day followed by a consecutive loss vs Chelsea.

Have the chance to maintain our #1 spot.. and then face off vs City on 3 January 2019.

We got this.

Last time we had Migs fumbling a Negredo shot. This time, we have Alisson, no worries.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #374: Dec 22, 2018 04:01:54 am
      They have been bullying teams left and right. That is gonna be a different story on their very own turf on 3rd Jan 19. If we could come away with a win or draw, it will be game on.

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2018 04:08:23 am by redkop63 »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #375: Dec 22, 2018 04:06:42 am

😁😁😁 ... just wanna test whether anyone here is paying attention. Corrected to stop the backlash. ;D.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #376: Dec 22, 2018 04:09:21 am
      Unfortunately only saw 3 minute highlights because for some reason Optus has our game against the mancs on demand but not this one. Looked like we were extremely sloppyin possession, great to see Fabinho get another assist and Big Virg getting on the scoresheet aswell.

What a christmas present looking at the table is. :)
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #377: Dec 22, 2018 04:11:25 am
      I do, however, wish for Santa to bring us a LM/LW so we don't have to play the likes of Keita or Lallana there when Mane is either not playing or on the right. It just doesn't suit them and becomes a weak link. Any injury to Mane and we're fu**ed in that position.

This is where I think Harry Wilson could do a job, but he’s doing so well at Derby I wouldn’t wanna disrupt that mid season...
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #378: Dec 22, 2018 04:28:20 am
      Klopp made a point about the grass being sh*t. And we also had extremely wet weather. May explain with some of the unexpected speed of our passes.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #379: Dec 22, 2018 06:08:31 am
      Good game, Fabinho, Salah and VVD were very good.
      We are so wasteful in front of goal... we can and we will improve.

The Hendo-Fabinho partnership seems to work and Fabinho brings a lot to the team. He should start.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #380: Dec 22, 2018 07:26:23 am

He was jizzing 🤣🤣🤣

YNWA
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #381: Dec 22, 2018 08:00:58 am
      Was out Last night but managed to watch the whole game, so here are my thoughts on the match...

Made up for the win and glad to see VVD get his first and long over due goal in the Prem' for LFC...

Team performances...

I thought James Milner struggled at right back, not his most natural position, and can not understand why he was played there when the better option would have been to play Fab', who has played right back on many an occasion., there instead and Milner up field... If we play Milner there vs. Arsenal and we are in trouble...

Both Fab' and Keita was poor, as was Firmino and Robertson...

Fab' while not as bad as Keita put in some poor passes, and gave the ball away on multiple occasions...

Keita was slow to move the ball, ran too often down blind alley's resulting stalled attacks and the ball being lost...

Firmino seemed to go missing for the majority of the game and one could excuse supporters believing the he was not actually on the pitch at time... In his defence I thought that on leave the pitch he looked run down as if he was suffering from the flu or something

Robertson , for me was the most disappointing... What happen to the lad we all know, bombing down the wing, overlapping and playing killer crosses...?? This happen way too little last night and when the crosses came they were over hit

Most of our attacking play seem to revolve around players trying to walk the ball into the area, and given the rain, and the surface last night very little attempts at low hit shots from around the edge of the area or defence dissecting passes using the slickness of that rain dampened surface seem to happen if at all ...

I don't thing that this was down to two good team cancelling one another out… We were poor, and had it not been for some great defensive play at time from VVD, and our two goals things could have quite easily been very different...

Keita injury though at this time reported to not be that serious, had it happened to Fab' and been more serious and with the lack of experience cover for CB this would season threatening... Need to bring in a CB ASAP

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #382: Dec 22, 2018 08:59:30 am
      Need to rewatch it.

Couple of things I want to clarify in my head but VVD was imperious, Henderson was our best midfielder and, like most of the league games this season, I was never in doubt of the result. Whilst Wolves were in the game, the 0-2 score line slightly flattered them on the night.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #383: Dec 22, 2018 09:30:03 am
      Honest question...

Have we even clicked or moved into 3rd gear yet?..

There is plenty more to come from this squad of players & if they continue with their focus this could become a very very special season..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #384: Dec 22, 2018 10:02:01 am
      Just to say I thought we were not poor but gave a good accounting of ourselves against a team who posted a genuine threat in horrible conditions. Yes there were  some mistakes, especially in the latter part of the first half, and yes they had some chances, but mostly we had control of possession and created a decent attacking threat ourselves. Good road win.

I'm interested to see how much rotation we use vs Newcastle. I think a number of players could use rest before Arsenal and Man City
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #385: Dec 22, 2018 10:05:16 am
      Honest question...

Have we even clicked or moved into 3rd gear yet?..

There is plenty more to come from this squad of players & if they continue with their focus this could become a very very special season..

There is. The clearest sign is the way we've stepped it up against the big boys or when we've really needed to.

Good times.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #386: Dec 22, 2018 10:34:03 am
      /ramble on

Perhaps we don't have a 4th gear anymore, perhaps balance is how Klopp's evolved the team.

Starting to think Keita isn't the player I thought he was. I know he's been injured and his performances have been stop-start, but still. He had to put up with two nasty tackles last night and maybe that hindered him. I think his decision making needs to improve and I also think he's coming to terms with the physicality. Time will tell.

Surprised to see Fab only got 5 votes for MotM. Ok so he misplaced about two passes, and one of them was in the first 5 mins(?) but aside from that, he mopped almost everything up.

How good is VvD though? I think I can confidently say that on this current form (and it's been pretty much this from since he signed) he is the best CB we have ever had - and I watched the Hansen and Lawrenson partnership and that was pretty devastating. Even the mancs over in the caf are saying he reminds them of a prime Rio Ferdinand (and let's be honest, Rio in his pomp was excellent - Fergie even played him in midfield once because he was so good with the ball at his feet).

Allison too impresses but he does need to stop being so sloppy with the ball at his feet. I don't care whether or not he's the best keeper in the world. Couldn't care less because he's still GOOD enough.

Henderson did good last night. I think a lot of people overlook the job he has, and that's to keep things steady and to keep the ball. I think he looks a tidy player when he's playing it square or back to the defence. He's safe, he doesn't play a forward pass unless it's on. Yes it frustrates and yes it can sometimes bring our momentum to a stutter now and again, and yes we can replace him, but I think the amount of flak he gets is sometimes undeserved (though you can say that about any player I guess).

Similar with Milner. Hard working, will play anywhere and will give his all. Almost 33 know but he's a valued member of the squad and that's because Klopp can rely on him. You need utility players like him in there, somewhere.

Mane is really bugging me. He plays most games like it's a friendly. When he's up for it he's a beast. Been a while though since he's been up for it (his finishing has been utterly dreadful and his passing so sloppy) and I can see Shaq starting there before long.

Bobby is starting to motor again and Salah just keeps on being Salah. If Salah improves his first touch he'll be even better.

Robertson is a solid player too, but my son sussed him out. He's great instinctively but when he has too much time to think, he can look a bit wanting.

/ramble off
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #387: Dec 22, 2018 10:56:21 am
      My Missus has only been watching for three years.  She understands the game.

She said “So what’s next for Milner?  Is Klopp going to ask him to put on the gloves to give Becker a break?”

She also calls him Boris and if he makes 12 saves she calls it a Becker dozen.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #388: Dec 22, 2018 11:20:59 am
      She said to me.."did they win"...said "yeah..top of the league"

" Who's the manager" she asked..." Klopp" Says I....." isn't that the end you used to stand in...".........!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #389: Dec 22, 2018 11:38:24 am
      They had 15 minutes at the end of the 1st half where they caused us problems - apart from that I thought we were in control and pretty comfortable.

Passing was a bit off, partly maybe down to the conditions, but definitely deserved the win. Big Virgil for MOTM - what a player the guy is. About 4 times strikers were 1 on 1 with him - he just feints like they'll wrong foot him if they go outside, they go outside, then he just surges up alongside them and goes "ok what are you going to do from out here" haha. He doesn't even have to make a tackle most of the time, never mind dive in.

Fab was pretty scrappy with his passing last night. Interesting contrast between him and Hendo. Fab offers more penetration ( eg Mo's goal), but maybe gives the ball away more. Hendo hardly ever gives the ball away ( partly cos of his more conservative style). I think it's very handy having 2 somewhat different styles of player who can play DM. Last night showed they can play together if necessary, but ideally I think you'd play 1 of them, not both. Anyway they give us more options, and ability to rotate.

Anyway, another 3 points and more pressure on City.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #390: Dec 22, 2018 12:44:34 pm
      What a game. Thanks wolves for playing football. MOTM Salah and VVD.

Keep on going :) Happy Holidays :)

Quick Reply