Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool v Newcastle Weds 26th Dec 15:00KO

Read 9559 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Liverpool v Newcastle Weds 26th Dec 15:00KO
      Reply #46: Dec 24, 2018 03:18:24 am
      For me Salah starts every game. The opposition seeing the Team sheet will automatically go into panic mode when they see his name. Get it won early, then take him off for a rest.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #47: Dec 24, 2018 05:45:43 am
      Roy did us a favour, now Benitez needs to rest some players because of rotation :P
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #48: Dec 24, 2018 06:16:12 am
      Don’t agree with the idea of Lallana in the team for this, everytime he’s played he’s been a disappointment this season IMO, hasn’t shown anything to warrant a start when there’s players in his position who have played a lot better than him. I think it will be along the lines of the line up vs Burnley, then bring on the likes of Salah for the last 20 if needed.
      Think Sturridge, Origi and Shaq have all shown good enough signs this season...well Shaq goes without saying actually, that they are capable of getting the job done enough for the 3 points.

Trent is back in training now, don’t think Klopp will want to go into the games vs Arsenal and City without him having gotten some minutes under his belt.
      Alisson, Trent, Lovren, Virgil, Moreno, Keita, Gini, Hendo, Mane/Origi, Shaqiri, Sturridge
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Dec 24, 2018 06:58:27 am
      Don’t agree with the idea of Lallana in the team for this, everytime he’s played he’s been a disappointment this season IMO, hasn’t shown anything to warrant a start when there’s players in his position who have played a lot better than him. I think it will be along the lines of the line up vs Burnley, then bring on the likes of Salah for the last 20 if needed.
      Think Sturridge, Origi and Shaq have all shown good enough signs this season...well Shaq goes without saying actually, that they are capable of getting the job done enough for the 3 points.

Trent is back in training now, don’t think Klopp will want to go into the games vs Arsenal and City without him having gotten some minutes under his belt.
      Alisson, Trent, Lovren, Virgil, Moreno, Keita, Gini, Hendo, Mane/Origi, Shaqiri, Sturridge

Yeah not sure about him starting either. Think we can stick to a solid midfield with the regulars even during the festive period.

I'm sure he will get some minutes but later on in the game when hopefully the match is in the bag.

The first goal will be everything for this one. Get it early and we make life easier for ourselves.

I do have confidence in this team more than any other though that we don't have to blow them away early doors. Even late on we have found ways to gain points.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #50: Dec 24, 2018 08:39:58 am
      Time, patience and cool heads is what will be needed boxing day.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Dec 24, 2018 08:41:43 am

Respect your opinion mate in regards to Lallana, but it wasn't too long ago he was one of Jürgen's favourite's, he's had a bit of a hard time with injuries so getting back into the fold was always gonna be tough,
      I wouldn't be too hasty in writing him off just yet, he needs game time to get him up to speed so games V Newcastle are ideal, I think we agree he won't be a starter every week but he's still a good asset off the bench, he knows how to  play in a Klopp system, uses the space well, has pace and can score to, if we can get a good hour from him then replace with Mane, we could reap the rewards from tired Newcastle legs, throw on Bobby & Mo for the last 20mins, that GD will shrink for sure,

But plz no Moreno, I'd rather we put Jimmy there if Robbo's rested.

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #52: Dec 24, 2018 10:06:49 am
      We need creativity in the middle but I think we can probably rotate the forwards a bit for this game and give them a rest. Newcastle are a very poor side so if we can get a nice early goal then I think we will romp to victory so Heavy metal from the first minute please then we can dial it back a bit and look to hit them on the counter.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #53: Dec 24, 2018 10:22:03 am

Respect your opinion mate in regards to Lallana, but it wasn't too long ago he was one of Jürgen's favourite's, he's had a bit of a hard time with injuries so getting back into the fold was always gonna be tough,
      I wouldn't be too hasty in writing him off just yet, he needs game time to get him up to speed so games V Newcastle are ideal, I think we agree he won't be a starter every week but he's still a good asset off the bench, he knows how to  play in a Klopp system, uses the space well, has pace and can score to, if we can get a good hour from him then replace with Mane, we could reap the rewards from tired Newcastle legs, throw on Bobby & Mo for the last 20mins, that GD will shrink for sure,

But plz no Moreno, I'd rather we put Jimmy there if Robbo's rested.

YNWA

I just feel that the team has moved on from Lallana, unfortunately the injuries he’s had has essentially left him 2 years behind where the rest of the team is now IMO. He was one of the stand out players when Klopp took over but other than that, he hasn’t really shown anything. He’s never been a rapid player but the pace and composure he did have has gone as well, can’t remember what game it was this season but he was played clean through 1v1 and he looked so sluggish, like he was pulling a weight behind him.
      He’s an intelligent player but just IMO, as a team we’ve moved on from him now.
      Don’t get me wrong, if he plays then he has my backing 100% and Klopp knows a lot more about him than me, it’s just my take on it. I see him more now as a player to come on as the game is getting into the last 20, give the key players a rest if we’ve got the win all but confirmed.

It’s going to be an interesting game though, I think this game could be harder than the Arsenal game because of how much they are going to sit back and look to counter so we need to make sure that whoever plays, finds that creative edge.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #54: Dec 24, 2018 10:23:58 am
      Rafa will look to stifle us, he knows he can’t get us on the break or go all out attack, they will be looking for goals from set pieces...Rafa will have the disciplined and organised..

2-1.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #55: Dec 24, 2018 10:40:53 am
      Lallana has done Just fine when coming on as substitute and is perfect for our system presses as well as anyone and fresh can still be an asset this season
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #56: Dec 24, 2018 11:07:13 am
      Just win and if its possible with many goals, so GD to Shitty will be better.

Come on reds!!!!!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #57: Dec 24, 2018 11:09:28 am
      I just feel that the team has moved on from Lallana, unfortunately the injuries he’s had has essentially left him 2 years behind where the rest of the team is now IMO. He was one of the stand out players when Klopp took over but other than that, he hasn’t really shown anything. He’s never been a rapid player but the pace and composure he did have has gone as well, can’t remember what game it was this season but he was played clean through 1v1 and he looked so sluggish, like he was pulling a weight behind him.
      He’s an intelligent player but just IMO, as a team we’ve moved on from him now.
      Don’t get me wrong, if he plays then he has my backing 100% and Klopp knows a lot more about him than me, it’s just my take on it. I see him more now as a player to come on as the game is getting into the last 20, give the key players a rest if we’ve got the win all but confirmed.

It’s going to be an interesting game though, I think this game could be harder than the Arsenal game because of how much they are going to sit back and look to counter so we need to make sure that whoever plays, finds that creative edge.

Fairy muff mate, good analysis and one i didn't consider, his 'sluggishness' could be down to lack of game time but we cannot rule out age and maybe losing a yard or two, those injuries would definitely had a negative affect, i guess tho like you say Jürgen knows best and will use him as he sees fit.

Have a Great Xmas .

YNWA
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #58: Dec 24, 2018 11:48:59 am
      Just make sure the mind is foucused and the rest will come come on you reds
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #59: Dec 24, 2018 12:05:42 pm
      No disrespect to Newcastle, they will do everything to get a point. Only we ourselves can turn this into a hard game by underestimating them and resting too many players. I would say race to a 3 goal lead then only rest some players, not before then. City and chelsea have stumbled, we make sure we don't.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #60: Dec 24, 2018 01:42:20 pm

Not sure if you went to the Burnley game but Origi was woeful and apart from scoring from a yard does not merit a place instead of Lallana sorry
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #61: Dec 24, 2018 01:45:58 pm
      Play the strongest team possible, get a few goals then rest players, we've worked hard to be in this position, let's not take our eye of the prize.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #62: Dec 24, 2018 02:30:01 pm
      Play the strongest team possible, get a few goals then rest players, we've worked hard to be in this position, let's not take our eye of the prize.

It's because of keeping eyes on the prize that we should rotate heavily for this one. Even well-conditioned athletes have physical limitations and we're talking 7 matches in 25 days and 9 in 32. We will want our strongest lineup out Saturday vs. Arsenal and next week vs. Man City. Having played most of the regulars vs. Wolves, some changes will be needed. We beat Burnley 3-1 with Origi, Sturridge, Shaq and Moreno in the starting lineup. We can do the same vs. Newcastle, and I'd add Clyne and Lallana as well so Trent and Naby can play in both of the next two matches after an injury.

EDIT: Taking a guy off after 70-80 minutes is not the same as resting him.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #63: Dec 24, 2018 03:07:01 pm
      Not sure if you went to the Burnley game but Origi was woeful and apart from scoring from a yard does not merit a place instead of Lallana sorry
      I'm not sure saying better than Origi means Lallana merits a place. We shouldn't make too many changes, when we did that before we got lucky to win games. City just got destroyed resting players. We should only make 2 changes, 3 at the most! Then we can fix the line up if needed or rest players of we are smashing it. 3 points against Newcastle is just important as 3 points against Arsenal, not a shot at Rafa, but I think that he didn't grasp that concept fully and it's probably we he could win CL but not PL. I think it's more important to hook players off earlier at 3-0 instead of waiting for a fourth and changing players after 80 minutes. We should have this game over with after an hour, so all going well hook Salah off for Sturridge, Mane for Shaqiri and Keita for Lallana between 60-75 minutes mark. If it's only 1-0 at 80 minutes we can think it's a good job we didn't rotate much because look at what happened to City.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #64: Dec 24, 2018 03:23:25 pm
      It's because of keeping eyes on the prize that we should rotate heavily for this one. Even well-conditioned athletes have physical limitations and we're talking 7 matches in 25 days and 9 in 32. We will want our strongest lineup out Saturday vs. Arsenal and next week vs. Man City. Having played most of the regulars vs. Wolves, some changes will be needed. We beat Burnley 3-1 with Origi, Sturridge, Shaq and Moreno in the starting lineup. We can do the same vs. Newcastle, and I'd add Clyne and Lallana as well so Trent and Naby can play in both of the next two matches after an injury.

EDIT: Taking a guy off after 70-80 minutes is not the same as resting him.
      it's wrong to think about it like that. It's like water, if I said I had 500 cups of water in 100 days it's not alarming, but if  490 of those cups were in first 50 days it would mean recently there hasn't been a lot of water consumption. Relating it to your comment, 9 in 32 but the first 7 were in 22 days. After that it has been 10 days with 2 games! If you scale it down to recovery times, the last ten days should have provided some breaks. We have a chance to rest when others play two legged league cup games next month.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #65: Dec 24, 2018 03:25:12 pm
                     Allison
      Clyne Lovren VVD Milner
               Hendo Wijn
      Shaq  Firmino Lallana
                  Sturridge

Subs: Migs, TAA, Fabinho, Naby, Robertson, Origi, Salah, Mane

Prediction: 3-0
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #66: Dec 24, 2018 04:20:12 pm
      I'm not sure saying better than Origi means Lallana merits a place. We shouldn't make too many changes, when we did that before we got lucky to win games. City just got destroyed resting players. We should only make 2 changes, 3 at the most! Then we can fix the line up if needed or rest players of we are smashing it. 3 points against Newcastle is just important as 3 points against Arsenal, not a shot at Rafa, but I think that he didn't grasp that concept fully and it's probably we he could win CL but not PL. I think it's more important to hook players off earlier at 3-0 instead of waiting for a fourth and changing players after 80 minutes. We should have this game over with after an hour, so all going well hook Salah off for Sturridge, Mane for Shaqiri and Keita for Lallana between 60-75 minutes mark. If it's only 1-0 at 80 minutes we can think it's a good job we didn't rotate much because look at what happened to City.

This is the perfect game to rotate and what happened to City is completely irrelevant and you're just looking for something that is not there. This will be the 7th game in December with one more left before the close of the year, a very heavy schedule, and we need to use our squad to keep our key players fresh and our depth players in form, plus the game at Wolves was under horrible conditions. With only 2 days rest til the Arsenal game, would not surprise me if Klopp goes with a Burnley-type rotation.

And that you of all people come here and suggest to take players out early is pretty comical, considering you are one of the first ones and loudest to complain about substitutions. But i get it, you have to run your shtick, so if we rotate players and we are not running Newcastle off the park, you will be littering the board with nonsense.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #67: Dec 24, 2018 04:27:02 pm
      it's wrong to think about it like that. It's like water, if I said I had 500 cups of water in 100 days it's not alarming, but if  490 of those cups were in first 50 days it would mean recently there hasn't been a lot of water consumption. Relating it to your comment, 9 in 32 but the first 7 were in 22 days. After that it has been 10 days with 2 games! If you scale it down to recovery times, the last ten days should have provided some breaks. We have a chance to rest when others play two legged league cup games next month.

That's also the wrong way of thinking about it, right now I imagine all of our fit players are fully rested BUT we now face 3 games within a week, and that is quite tough. Out of those 3 games 1 is against a fairly sh*t opponent so we really should consider resting whichever players we can in that game so that the core team is ready to play 2 key games in 3 days, Arsenal and Citeh. I would play Clyne and possibly Moreno, alongside VVD and Lovren (as there is no option to rotate CB) and then a very attacking midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Gini and then rest some of the forwards, starting with Sturridge, Shaq and one of Mo, Bobby or Mane. If need be bring on the other attackers.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Dec 24, 2018 04:29:54 pm
      This is the perfect game to rotate and what happened to City is completely irrelevant and you're just looking for something that is not there. This will be the 7th game in December with one more left before the close of the year, a very heavy schedule, and we need to use our squad to keep our key players fresh and our depth players in form, plus the game at Wolves was under horrible conditions. With only 2 days rest til the Arsenal game, would not surprise me if Klopp goes with a Burnley-type rotation.

And that you of all people come here and suggest to take players out early is pretty comical, considering you are one of the first ones and loudest to complain about substitutions. But i get it, you have to run your shtick, so if we rotate players and we are not running Newcastle off the park, you will be littering the board with nonsense.

Can you not just have a civil discussion without attacking Riba, come on it is Christmas, season of good will to all men etc :-)

Quick Reply