Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Crucial disadvantage for us to compete with top southern teams?

Read 2496 times
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 488 posts | 60 
      Crucial disadvantage for us to compete with top southern teams?
      Dec 28, 2018 07:35:49 pm
      Albert Moreno said something that's running in my mind for a long time because it confirms rumors that apply for many players/coaches. He said:  "...I am tired of the cold here" and probably meant "rainy & cold". What I think is that Liverpool's weather is some fundamental disadvantage, esp. concerning outstanding players. Why should they stay at LFC if Barca or Mardid offer them the same money, football greatness plus good weather? I am convinced that the weather was one issue for Coutinho to leave, as well as Suarez (of course nobody would publicly say so). I also heard several interviews where Jürgen mocked the Liverpool weather and I am convinced he won't be with us after 2022 if he wins PL+CL BECAUSE of the weather. Yes, it sounds ridiculous first, but think about those top dogs with all the money and success...wouldn't you also rather move to sunshine and bikini girls if you could choose? I wonder how much the weather factor plays into role. IMO LFC should think about it and evaluate it:

1) Go back more to Scots/Scandinavians/Middle Europeans who don't mind weather like that? (My favourite, going re-80s)
      2) Build a dome?
      3) Offer your diamonds more quick flights into the sun?
      4) Move LFC to Rio? (just kidding^^)

Is this just my personal brain F**k or do you guys also see some kind of problem?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Crucial disadvantage for us to compete with top southern teams?
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2018 07:45:12 pm
      Is it April Fools Day already
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2018 07:47:32 pm
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2018 08:03:00 pm
      It may be a disadvantage, but there's no getting away from it. It is what it is.

We've managed to secure enough big names to show it's not all that important.

In recent memory, the only player I recall being put off was Sanchez, and that was due to the city? That may not be the correct reason, but in any case I would have thought the city of Liverpool and reputation of Liverpool is a bigger disadvantage than the weather (which is the same across most of UK). Outside of Liverpool, 'Liverpool' as a place is not considered very highly.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2018 09:04:03 pm
      Didn't effect many signings going to City or united
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #5: Dec 28, 2018 09:35:40 pm
      Mane is from Africa
      Salah's home town overlooks the Pyramids in the desert !
      Firminho tops his tan up regularly

Plus the fact, most of these lads can afford to private jet themselves off for a few days in the sun for a bit of R&R if they want.

What was Moreno expecting when he signed for us in 2014?
      A villa by the pool?
      Aqua blue warm seas with a cooling breeze off the river mersey?

He's pissed off and no wonder he's cold, the bench he sits on week after week, will be, FFS !

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Dec 28, 2018 09:46:19 pm
      wtf is this sh*t why not ask the many former Liverpool players from overseas who never go home after their careers are ended.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Dec 28, 2018 10:00:10 pm
      Rains more in Manchester - just ask Lancashire CC..
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #8: Dec 28, 2018 10:11:41 pm
      This is a bit like the narrative that was around a few years back where it was said all footballers in/coming into the PL wanted to play for London clubs and the London clubs would dominate the PL (how’s that working out?)

Football is a short career once retired modern day footballers should never have to worry about money again and can go and live where they like, I wouldn’t worry much about it.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #9: Dec 28, 2018 10:12:06 pm
      I can imagine Shanks answer.  WOW, we have always played footie regardless, don't be using the weather as an excuse.
      WE in liverppol have never thought that. It's whatever comes, if the game is playable, then we go
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2018 10:22:41 pm by redtiler »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Dec 28, 2018 10:42:47 pm
      Reminds me of Gianluca Vialli, when he was manager of Chelsea and they were drawn away to Oldham and they were saying stuff like..." those London boys won't like the wind and the cold rain up here"..

Chelsea knocked out Oldham and Vialli to his credit said.." the nonsense about us not liking the cold up north...We are Professionals FFS...."
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #11: Dec 28, 2018 11:05:18 pm
      Didn't effect many signings going to City or united

But Ronaldo left United, just when he became legit world class. To where? dry-sunny-Madrid. Again, my point is that very top players would do that when they are top level and can "choose the world" (before that they go to these clubs like de Bruyne, but where will he be after his contract expires and assuming he's still top notch then?). I just wonder to what percentage that played a role, e.g. for Coutinho, 5%, 10%, 20% (not more certainly, but nevertheless not nothing)?

I'd certainly wouldn't b*tch about a new turn in LFC aquisition-strategy towards Scotland and Scandinavia. When I see Robertson I'd like 5 more of him (and I wonder why England > Scotland and not vice versa, those Scots are some badass dudes).
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #12: Dec 28, 2018 11:32:51 pm
      Chelsea have managed to hold on to their top stars.  Money for the big stars is a what is all about.  Winning which then leads to bigger sponsorship deals.  It is an interesting point though.  It must have a some factor.  Personally thinks it is an excuse and the be all is money and winning.  For the flair players giving them the a good opportunity to express their talent is another component which for me comes way before the climate.  But yet Players like Hazard and Sanchez have followed the money. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2018 11:42:30 pm
      But Ronaldo left United, just when he became legit world class. To where? dry-sunny-Madrid. Again, my point is that very top players would do that when they are top level and can "choose the world" (before that they go to these clubs like de Bruyne, but where will he be after his contract expires and assuming he's still top notch then?). I just wonder to what percentage that played a role, e.g. for Coutinho, 5%, 10%, 20% (not more certainly, but nevertheless not nothing)?

I'd certainly wouldn't b*tch about a new turn in LFC aquisition-strategy towards Scotland and Scandinavia. When I see Robertson I'd like 5 more of him (and I wonder why England > Scotland and not vice versa, those Scots are some badass dudes).

What top players would you be buying from Scandinavia, at this time I can only think of one world class player in any Scandinavian country and he plays for Spurs and the only really top quality Scottish player plays for us.
      If Real Madrid and Barca relocated to the North of Norway they'd still attract top talent, the location is irrelevant.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2018 11:51:56 pm
      Moderation has gone to pan over the Chrimbo period!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15: Dec 29, 2018 12:00:54 am
      Never cold or rains in Spain..

F**k me..I get the culture difference but blaming the weather?...

Rafa, Reina, Torres, Alonso, Garcia, Maxi, Mascherano hated the weather so much as soon as they became world class they fu**ed off back to Spain 😂
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16: Dec 29, 2018 12:36:21 am
      Albert Moreno said something that's running in my mind for a long time because it confirms rumors that apply for many players/coaches. He said:  "...I am tired of the cold here" and probably meant "rainy & cold". What I think is that Liverpool's weather is some fundamental disadvantage, esp. concerning outstanding players. Why should they stay at LFC if Barca or Mardid offer them the same money, football greatness plus good weather? I am convinced that the weather was one issue for Coutinho to leave, as well as Suarez (of course nobody would publicly say so). I also heard several interviews where Jürgen mocked the Liverpool weather and I am convinced he won't be with us after 2022 if he wins PL+CL BECAUSE of the weather. Yes, it sounds ridiculous first, but think about those top dogs with all the money and success...wouldn't you also rather move to sunshine and bikini girls if you could choose? I wonder how much the weather factor plays into role. IMO LFC should think about it and evaluate it:

1) Go back more to Scots/Scandinavians/Middle Europeans who don't mind weather like that? (My favourite, going re-80s)
      2) Build a dome?
      3) Offer your diamonds more quick flights into the sun?
      4) Move LFC to Rio? (just kidding^^)

Is this just my personal brain f**k or do you guys also see some kind of problem?

It's easy enough to contend with. Play for a club that's in a cold City with pissing down rain that is regularly competing and winning Titles and Silverware, were you are more than a bit part player because the emphasis is on getting the best out of your innate talent rather than your image and people will come here and stay, rather than go to a club in a City with hot, dry weather but has little interest in you ever being more than a bit part player simply because your image isn't marketable enough.

I think the current squad dispels the myth of the weather being against us. Professional players want to play regularly and win things. The weather is of secondary importance to them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Dec 29, 2018 02:35:18 am
      We signed two Brazilians.

From Rome and Monaco.

This season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: Dec 29, 2018 03:22:23 am
      In recent memory, the only player I recall being put off was Sanchez, and that was due to the city?

I think when he said city he probably  meant money.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #19: Dec 29, 2018 04:07:32 am
      Players shouldn't be too keen on going to Spain because of the amount of players who have been charged for tax evasion. There's no guarantee everyone likes hot weather either, some people from warm climates would like cooler weather. Grass is always greener etc...
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #20: Dec 29, 2018 04:19:54 am
      I wanna hear more about this dome idea.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Dec 29, 2018 08:02:56 am
      I wanna hear more about this dome idea.

Will the dome cover the whole of Liverpool or just Anfield and Melwood.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Dec 29, 2018 08:31:49 am

Michael Owen left us for Madrid
      McManaman left us for Madrid
      Beckham left United for Madrid
      Graveson left the Bitters for Madrid
      Woodgate left Newcastle for Madrid
      Sammy Lee left QPR for Osasuna
      Sancho and other English youngsters are playing in Germany

It doesn’t make the blindest bit of difference where a player is from in the world, if they think they can better their career or get more money by going elsewhere then they will do it. Simple as that.

Quick Reply