Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's

Read 6538 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's
      Dec 30, 2018 01:46:54 pm
      Nostalgia time being New Year etc. I have watched a lot of LFC TV over Christmas and it gets you thinking how many wonderful people from all over the world have represented this club. The club however has an energy that transcends all of time going back to 1892 and for me some players still embody this passion for the club and they become bigger and better players once they put on the Red Shirt.
      Shankly obviously is seen as the father of our modern era but we did have a great history before then and many famous players great players put on the red shirt prior to 1959.
      So who is your Liverpool player from any Era who represents what this club all about and for me it can only be Ian Callaghan a man who for 640 games lived and died for this club for 20 years he gave everything for Liverpool FC a local lad from Toxteth embodies what every player should show when putting on a Liverpool Shirt.
      This is not a competition there are no winners I just want to know who is "Mr Liverpool" for you
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's
      Reply #1: Dec 30, 2018 02:32:24 pm
      I was born in 1991 (I'm 27) and started watching Liverpool in 1999. Until he was with us, Michael Owen, I really cried when he wanted out.

When I grew older and  Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher brought the fifth Champions League, and they become my Mr Liverpool. A foreign Mr Liverpool was Sami Hyypia.

Obviously, everyone has his/her depending on their age and era.

Trent has the potential to be one!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's
      Reply #2: Dec 30, 2018 02:44:58 pm
      Nostalgia time being New Year etc. I have watched a lot of LFC TV over Christmas and it gets you thinking how many wonderful people from all over the world have represented this club. The club however has an energy that transcends all of time going back to 1892 and for me some players still embody this passion for the club and they become bigger and better players once they put on the Red Shirt.
      Shankly obviously is seen as the father of our modern era but we did have a great history before then and many famous players great players put on the red shirt prior to 1959.
      So who is your Liverpool player from any Era who represents what this club all about and for me it can only be Ian Callaghan a man who for 640 games lived and died for this club for 20 years he gave everything for Liverpool FC a local lad from Toxteth embodies what every player should show when putting on a Liverpool Shirt.
      This is not a competition there are no winners I just want to know who is "Mr Liverpool" for you

Great post. I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers as there are many candidates. Just reading about Ian Callaghan I note one (of many) extraordinary statistic: He was booked just once in his entire career.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Dec 30, 2018 03:25:33 pm
      Great topic

Like you say Walton there were/are many many names that have adorned this wonderful institution throughout 126 yrs of history ,
      Most ppl i expect would opt for their favourite player, most probably from the year on year domination periods, the younger fans will look to their particular hero who adorned their bedroom walls, and  that's fine, me tho, although i loved Kenny, Souness, Gerrard, etc  i have say the one and only Bob Paisley,

He signed for Liverpool in 1939 at 20yrs of age, and served Liverpool for 50 years as player, reserve team coach, physiotherapist, assistant manager and of course manager, he was a tactical genius who guided our club through the most successful period that will never be surpassed,  20 major honours in just nine seasons. Incredible really.

(Sir) Bob Paisley,  the word Legend was made for him.

YNWA

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #4: Dec 30, 2018 03:58:58 pm
      Ronnie Moran for me. Still missing him. I cried when me first saw this pic.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Dec 30, 2018 04:34:55 pm
      Ronnie Moran for me. Still missing him. I cried when me first saw this pic.

that's a great shout when you think of the years he Bob and Joe gave to the club its an incredible achievement.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Dec 30, 2018 04:37:41 pm
      Great topic

Like you say Walton there were/are many many names that have adorned this wonderful institution throughout 126 yrs of history ,
      Most ppl i expect would opt for their favourite player, most probably from the year on year domination periods, the younger fans will look to their particular hero who adorned their bedroom walls, and  that's fine, me tho, although i loved Kenny, Souness, Gerrard, etc  i have say the one and only Bob Paisley,

He signed for Liverpool in 1939 at 20yrs of age, and served Liverpool for 50 years as player, reserve team coach, physiotherapist, assistant manager and of course manager, he was a tactical genius who guided our club through the most successful period that will never be surpassed,  20 major honours in just nine seasons. Incredible really.

YNWA

Great topic

YNWA

Not sure if it was Mark Lawrenson when he signed for us he Stayed in the Atlantic Hotel and Bob picked him up in the morning whilst still wearing his slippers.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7: Dec 30, 2018 04:48:13 pm
      Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish, MBE.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,967 posts | 3944 
      Reply #8: Dec 30, 2018 04:50:31 pm
      Great topic

YNWA

This all day.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,967 posts | 3944 
      Reply #9: Dec 30, 2018 04:53:25 pm
      Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish, MBE.

.....and this.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Dec 30, 2018 05:22:23 pm
      Cally as well. A legend and an absolute gent
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,263 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Dec 30, 2018 05:45:58 pm
      Great topic

YNWA

Good shout.

He also was a brick layer and painter - if a job needed doing, Bob did it. I'm certain about the bricklaying and painting, think he may also have done some plumbing.

In a similar vein, Ronnie Moran was an incredible servant to the club.

Excellent topic.

Apart from people already mentioned, Billy Liddell & Craig Johnston stand out for me as people with that little extra heart and soul who represent Liverpool's values.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #12: Dec 30, 2018 05:46:33 pm
      Roger Hunt and Emlyn Hughes
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13: Dec 30, 2018 06:50:51 pm
      Nothing against those greats, but I'm too young to remember them. Fowler is probably Nostalgia for me more than Kenny or Shankley etc... Reading history books isn't the same as experiencing it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Dec 30, 2018 06:53:26 pm
      Souness - embodies the arrogance of the mighty redmen when were on the F***ing march.

That sight of him marching out onto the Rome pitch - no F***ing fear!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Dec 30, 2018 07:36:36 pm
      I guess for me, the time when I first realized there was such a thing as world football and that this club called Liverpool were giants in it, the player who stood out for me was Alan Hansen. A leading light on eight league champions, three European Cup winners and six domestic cup winners. When I got to see a match on video, he was the one who stood out for me among a number of extremely talented players. A picture of composure at the back, and someone who loved the club. Attended a number of funerals after Hillsborough and penned the following when the independent report was released in 2012:

"I have encountered ignorance about Hillsborough on many occasions, finding myself having to correct the inaccurate version of events. The report explicitly removes the excuse of ignorance for those who misunderstood the tragedy. Each sentence in it reads as a tribute to the honesty, integrity and dignity of the families and is an acknowledgement of everything they have been saying since those first, scurrilous accusations surfaced." - from Daily Telegraph article.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Dec 30, 2018 07:51:41 pm
      Cally as well. A legend and an absolute gent

they say you should never meet your legends but I have to say having met quite a few former player everyone has been a pleasure and really decent blokes.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #17: Dec 30, 2018 08:27:21 pm
      Stevie G for me.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #18: Dec 30, 2018 08:39:34 pm
      they say you should never meet your legends but I have to say having met quite a few former player everyone has been a pleasure and really decent blokes.

Once turned down the chance to give a player of the year award to rushie. Bitterly regret it to this day
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #19: Dec 30, 2018 08:41:46 pm
      Once turned down the chance to give a player of the year award to rushie. Bitterly regret it to this day
      how did that chance come about?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Dec 30, 2018 08:47:17 pm
      Some great answers.To give a different one...

Gerry Byrne. Playing on with a broken collar bone for majority of the game...thats my Liverpool
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #21: Dec 30, 2018 09:01:31 pm
      how did that chance come about?

Supporters club thing. Decided the pub was more enticing. My dad is in the picture which was printed in the programme with the surname spelt wrong
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Dec 30, 2018 09:04:53 pm
      For loyalty and dedication to Liverpool Football Club I can only nominate the following-Billy Liddell,  Bob Paisley,Ronnie Moran,Roy Evans,all one club men who gave their heart and soul to this club.One other person I must nominate is ex club chairman T.V.Williams who had the vision to bring one Bill Shankly to the club and start the revolution in December 1959. :kop5cf8koxp6:

Quick Reply