Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's

Read 6527 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's
      Reply #23: Dec 30, 2018 09:19:27 pm
      Supporters club thing. Decided the pub was more enticing. My dad is in the picture which was printed in the programme with the surname spelt wrong
      A picture is a 1000 words anyway.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool player who reflects the heart and soul of the club through all era's
      Reply #24: Dec 30, 2018 10:11:11 pm

we should discount Stevie because he could win most things and I think we are still yet to appreciate just how good he was often carrying some very average players to extra ordinary achievements.
      I think Bill Shankly would have loved him in his teams
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: Dec 30, 2018 10:24:55 pm
      Jamie Carragher!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #26: Dec 30, 2018 10:33:09 pm
      In terms of whom I’ve seen with my own eyes - and the reason I became a red at 6yrs of age - it’s Kenny.

A special talent. One every 3-4 generations maximum.

From the broader history there’s so many great ones. Shanks, Joe, Bob, Reuben, Ronnie but I guess I’d go for Billy Liddell or Cally just for their selfless commitment on the park.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #27: Dec 30, 2018 10:44:04 pm
      There was one person that made me fall in love with this great club...Steve Heighway, but many down the ages that embodied what Liverpool was and meant to supporter some still with us, and some have passed. But all will live on in the through the annals of club history, but I have to go with the man who started my love affair with Liverpool and that was Steve Heighway
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #28: Dec 30, 2018 10:45:07 pm
      Nostalgia time being New Year etc. I have watched a lot of LFC TV over Christmas and it gets you thinking how many wonderful people from all over the world have represented this club. The club however has an energy that transcends all of time going back to 1892 and for me some players still embody this passion for the club and they become bigger and better players once they put on the Red Shirt.
      Shankly obviously is seen as the father of our modern era but we did have a great history before then and many famous players great players put on the red shirt prior to 1959.
      So who is your Liverpool player from any Era who represents what this club all about and for me it can only be Ian Callaghan a man who for 640 games lived and died for this club for 20 years he gave everything for Liverpool FC a local lad from Toxteth embodies what every player should show when putting on a Liverpool Shirt.
      This is not a competition there are no winners I just want to know who is "Mr Liverpool" for you
      Great topic Mate...  Sitting here reading these post with a tear in my eye, as i guess many here are too
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Dec 30, 2018 11:13:44 pm
      There was one person that made me fall in love with this great club...Steve Heighway, but many down the ages that embodied what Liverpool was and meant to supporter some still with us, and some have passed. But all will live on in the through the annals of club history, but I have to go with the man who started my love affair with Liverpool and that was Steve Heighway

Steve Heighway oh how I wished for a pair of his football boots, He is another man who was very humble and served the club both as a player and as a coach.
      Maybe there is some common theme about these legends in that they were all solid gold people down to earth hard working and very appreciative of the lives they led playing for and being associated with the Club and the City
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Dec 30, 2018 11:36:50 pm
      Lucas deserves a shout in here as well.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #31: Dec 30, 2018 11:38:40 pm
      Definitely Steven Gerrard. will never forget the joy he put on my face so many times and the times he saved us from defeats.

legend
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #32: Dec 30, 2018 11:51:13 pm
      For me it's Ronnie Moran. I was in bits the day I found out he'd passed away - more than I have been for any member of me own family going.

He did every single job at the club. From a schoolboy right up to a stint as manager of the club. He was there throughout our most successful period. While others may have come and gone (mainly through retirement) there was Ronnie and Roy Evans under each and every manager. When Souness changed the staff in the early 90s, he kept Ronnie on such was his importance to the club. Close to half a century with the club he loved.

Everybody who played under him tells the same stories as how he would be barking out instructions. How he would never let you rest on your laurels. How he made every single player who walked through the gates of Anfield realise that they are playing for the biggest and best club in the world.

Even long after his retirement, he'd still make trips to Melwood to help out. And he'd still be explaining to the modern day players that this is the biggest club in the world such was his love for our club.

He was everything you'd want a Liverpool man to be.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #33: Dec 30, 2018 11:56:06 pm
      Lucas deserves a shout in here as well.
      Not sure about that. Very loyal, but ultimately his style of play didn't suit PL. He does suit the Italian league. Alonso on the other hand, I'd argue he's a step up from Lucas and got himself a CL medal here. In 20 years time people will remember Alonso, but Lucas I'm not sure. The only cup we won during his time here was league cup and he was injured during that.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #34: Dec 30, 2018 11:58:50 pm
      There’s so many, where do you start ?
      And whoever I choose, I then think of another, or are reminded of someone else from other posts.
      Not the earliest, or probably of the longevity of Sir Bob or Ronnie, but solely as a player, I’m gonna agree with a previous post.
      The Mighty Emlyn !

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but Liverpool through and through !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #35: Dec 31, 2018 12:09:55 am
      Not sure about that. Very loyal, but ultimately his style of play didn't suit PL. He does suit the Italian league. Alonso on the other hand, I'd argue he's a step up from Lucas and got himself a CL medal here. In 20 years time people will remember Alonso, but Lucas I'm not sure. The only cup we won during his time here was league cup and he was injured during that.

I think the idea is to select who you think made the biggest impact on YOU !

Not to contradict others selections.

You clearly have social issues mate.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #36: Dec 31, 2018 12:55:18 am

I think the idea is to select who you think made the biggest impact on YOU !

Not to contradict others selections.

You clearly have social issues mate.
      no, the idea is who best represents the club not who the biggest impact on a fan. Who made the biggest impact on you would need a new thread. In my opinion it's got to be an elite player, or at least a player who won an important trophy here. If Lucas Levia is somebody's opinion of Liverpool greatness, upto them. It's weird though. We might as well give wee Joe Allen a mention then.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #37: Dec 31, 2018 12:59:32 am
      King Kenny! 
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #38: Dec 31, 2018 01:12:48 am
      Really fantastic topic to post
      Enjoying the trip down memory lane.
      So many great players and wonderful men who are all worthy of being considered. We have an embarrassment of riches in this area.
      It’s hard to not look beyond individuals who have given their entire professional lives to our club and in that regard, Paisley, Moran and Callaghan certainly fit the unique mold.
      I am 42 now so I will go with Paisley, Moran and Dalglish.
      Those three define to me my adoration and utter respect of what the club stands for.
      Hard work, humility and honor.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Dec 31, 2018 04:37:01 am
      Souness - embodies the arrogance of the mighty redmen when were on the f**king march.

That sight of him marching out onto the Rome pitch - no f**king fear!!

Here's one for you then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5LM03Ctwk

This may have been the first time I saw a Liverpool match on video - the replay that is (all I had back then). Before I became a fan, that didn't happen until I was able to go to Anfield 15 years later. But you might remember this one, hey?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Dec 31, 2018 12:49:16 pm

Good shout.

He also was a brick layer and painter - if a job needed doing, Bob did it. I'm certain about the bricklaying and painting, think he may also have done some plumbing.

In a similar vein, Ronnie Moran was an incredible servant to the club.

Excellent topic.

Apart from people already mentioned, Billy Liddell & Craig Johnston stand out for me as people with that little extra heart and soul who represent Liverpool's values.

Mr Wiki pedia explains that Bob like his dad and brothers were miners, however when the pit closed down Bob learnt bricklaying and done that until he signed for Bishop Auckland...

....Ronnie Moran has to be up there alongside Bob, of course,
       i was going to mention him in my original post...and should have done to be honest,  so I'm glad DLS  has  him as his choice,

LFC would not be where we are today without these two Legends,
      You can include Reuben Bennett & Tom Saunders too, When Shank's came in in '59' Reuben was already here, as was Bob, Ronnie & Joe Fagan, not entirely sure when Tom arrived , though i think he worked with the ressies ?

YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #41: Dec 31, 2018 04:55:55 pm

Mr Wiki pedia explains that Bob like his dad and brothers were miners, however when the pit closed down Bob learnt bricklaying and done that until he signed for Bishop Auckland...

....Ronnie Moran has to be up there alongside Bob, of course,
       i was going to mention him in my original post...and should have done to be honest,  so I'm glad DLS  has  him as his choice,

LFC would not be where we are today without these two Legends,
      You can include Reuben Bennett & Tom Saunders too, When Shank's came in in '59' Reuben was already here, as was Bob, Ronnie & Joe Fagan, not entirely sure when Tom arrived , though i think he worked with the ressies ?
      YNWA

Wiki says Shankly hired Saunders in 1968 as youth development officer (first position of its type in English football). He did this as well as scouting until 1986. Prior to that he has coached both Liverpool and England schoolboys. He had been a teacher and headmaster in Wavertree before that. I had read about this but I didn't know he later was a member of the club board.

All this reminds me that while I have been reading LFC history since before I first visited Anfield 20 years ago, I still learn new things on a regular basis, such is its rich quality.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Dec 31, 2018 05:25:49 pm
      Phil Thompson should get a mention a local lad 6 stone wet through and Captain of a wonderful side.
      Talking of brick laying I think Bob helped or built the Dug outs at Anfield there talents knew no bounds.
      All these players had one thing in common .. a quiet self confidence and a strong belief in their team mates
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,263 posts | 182 
      Reply #43: Dec 31, 2018 08:37:27 pm
      Phil Thompson should get a mention a local lad 6 stone wet through and Captain of a wonderful side.
      Talking of brick laying I think Bob helped or built the Dug outs at Anfield there talents knew no bounds.
      All these players had one thing in common .. a quiet self confidence and a strong belief in their team mates

Yes, that's what I remember reading - that Bob helped build the dug outs.

There is a reference to him rebuilding the dugout at http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/index.php?threads/bob-paisley.80107/

Which also hosts this rather staged photo

In 'The Real Bob Paisley' there's a quote from Tommy Smith about how a gateman was complaining to a groundsman about a girder sticking out at one of the turnstiles, Bob turning to Tommy & saying 'You're a strong lad, come with me,' and they sawed off the offending girder.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Jan 01, 2019 03:51:16 am
      Fourth Place Cally

Third Place  Emlyn

Second Place  Kenny

First Place    Stevie
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #45: Jan 01, 2019 06:31:53 am

This is about heart and soul, not ability, not about what he won. Lucas's work, in the community and with the youth players, on and off the field, including those breaking into the first team is why he should be considered. His turning his injury into a learning experience that both helped him and benefitted this club is why he deserves a mention. Not the greatest player we've had, but underrated and undervalued during his time here, a player that utilised all his potential and used his knowledge to help others and those coming through. A player that got this club and one, if what I've heard about him are true, that has a chance to make a name for himself in coaching after he hangs up his boots.

I gave up on heroes a long time ago and whilst Lucas didn't make me believe in them again,  he made me have similar feelings and when it comes to heart and soul, he gave and bared both for this club which is why he deserves a mention in this thread and the respect and appreciation of the fans of this great club.

Quick Reply