Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pre Match: Manchester City v Liverpool , Thurs 3/1 20:00 KO

Read 18882 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Re: Pre Match: Manchester City v Liverpool , Thurs 3/1 20:00 KO
      Reply #115: Jan 02, 2019 04:14:46 pm
      I would have thought you would understand Klopp by now - he doesnā€™t have a ā€œbest 11ā€ - he has a line up for the opposition they will faced and the sort of game plan he wants to employ

Spot on he changes his midfield to suit the opposition and so far seems to be doing a fairly good job of it I'm sure we agree. Think it depends on Milner and how fit he is but would be surprised if it wasn't him
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #116: Jan 02, 2019 04:30:21 pm
      Think JĆ¼rgen has slowly but surely trusted Fab more and more and with Gini and Hendo he has everything in there he needs although I still have this feeling that Naby could eventually be one of the first players on the team sheet once he has fully adjusted.
      Emotions all over the place one minute thinking we can really put down a statement and do some damage to then thinking 4 points clear is still brilliant ā€¦.wish it was Friday
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #117: Jan 02, 2019 04:30:29 pm
      Why are people so obsessed with playing Hendo, Gini and Milner, did they not see what happened when we played that midfield against PSG? Hint we were completely overrun and overpowered in midfield. Milner is simply not an option against pacy and strng midfielders so I'd be playing Fabinho instead of him. My ideal midfield for this would be Fabinho, Gini and Keita/Shaq as we need a solid DM pairing but we also need a link man between midfield and attack. I would also be ok'ish with Hendo, Fabinho and Gini.

I don't think they are mate, simply saying what they think Klopp will do and I think they are probably right, I think that those three will all play.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #118: Jan 02, 2019 04:33:11 pm
      100% agree with you, but it seems we are in the minority on this, most other people seem to think that is our best trio, its bizarre!!!

that's because you keep on being proved wrong most people include JĆ¼rgen but hey ho you and Rib know better.

The same three that beat City home and away and blew them away in the league and got to the CL but you and your pal call Liverpool players of this quality "horrific"
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #119: Jan 02, 2019 04:39:08 pm
      Seems like Kompany may be playing I do hope so he is not the player he was a few seasons ago, The ex Everton player on SKY saying City have the options in midfield
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #120: Jan 02, 2019 04:41:21 pm
      Why are people so obsessed with playing Hendo, Gini and Milner, did they not see what happened when we played that midfield against PSG? Hint we were completely overrun and overpowered in midfield. Milner is simply not an option against pacy and strng midfielders so I'd be playing Fabinho instead of him. My ideal midfield for this would be Fabinho, Gini and Keita/Shaq as we need a solid DM pairing but we also need a link man between midfield and attack. I would also be ok'ish with Hendo, Fabinho and Gini.

Or you know, did you not see what happened when we played that midfield against PSG at home? Hint: they f**king bossed it. Or you know, did you not see what happened when we played that midfield against Napoli at home? Hint: they f**king bossed it again. Two massive games in which they all played really well. The three of them have had some cracking games together and some less good games. Can't deny that they are the 'tried and tested' midfield. The three of them are by far our most experienced combination and it's no surprise Klopp trusted them to do the job in some of our biggest games in recent years.

I'm not saying they are my favored midfield combination in general or for this game in particular, but I'd fully understand if Klopp picks them for the City game. You say 'pacy and strong midfielders'. Are David Silva and Bernardo Silva pacy and strong? Hardly, they're brilliant technically, yes. De Bruyne could probably be labeled 'pacy and strong'. Is Fernandinho pacy? Not really. Milner, for example, might not be pacy, but the lad has got some steel and I'd love him to show Fernandinho up and get one in early on, set the tone of the game.

For the record: my favorite combination for this game would probably be Wijnaldum, Henderson, and Fabinho, but with the latter two being the more advanced ones and Wijnaldum at the base of midfield picking up second balls and receiving the ball from our CB's. Let Fabinho and Henderson loose and let them press the living hell out of the likes of Fernandinho and whoever they line up with in midfield. Both are excellent at winning the ball back and we've seen Fabinho has the quality on the ball to play that final pass too. With Fabinho playing higher we'll also reduce the risk of him making mistakes too close to our own goal.

Think it's going to be a cagey game with none of the teams really going for it from the start. Worst case scenario for City is obviously losing, so they'll want to avoid that at all costs. A draw wouldn't be that bad for them. They are equally capable of going on a winning run like we just did and all it takes for us is to drop points in two games for them to be breathing down our necks again and for us to feel the pressure. Keep them out and hit them in behind, they'll leave plenty of space for us to exploit. No need for us to go gung-ho early on. They are the ones under pressure, they are the ones that have to beat us, they'll inevitably make mistakes with their passing and overall play, it's up to us to make the mistakes count and punish them.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #121: Jan 02, 2019 04:45:33 pm
      that's because you keep on being proved wrong most people include JĆ¼rgen but hey ho you and Rib know better.

The same three that beat City home and away and blew them away in the league and got to the CL but you and your pal call Liverpool players of this quality "horrific"
      Statistics show its not our best. I honestly avoid reading your posts Walton, simply because you hardly ever use commas so they take much more effort to understand.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #122: Jan 02, 2019 04:49:32 pm
      Statistics show its not our best. I honestly avoid reading your posts Walton, simply because you hardly ever use commas so they take much more effort to understand.

Which statistics are they ?

Can you show me the statistics that show whatā€™s the ā€œbestā€ midfield
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #123: Jan 02, 2019 05:05:35 pm

fancy Rib being worried about punctuation, I would be more worried about being out of step with most Liverpool supporters who tend to think JĆ¼rgen knows best.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #124: Jan 02, 2019 05:14:39 pm

Just look at the results. 2 out of 3 of the games we drew in PL had that midfield trio, the other had 2/3 of those players. In Europe 2/3 of the games we lost this season had that midfield. In the league, where we have had the most fortune, the midfield 3 has changed a lot and we've done better when Shaqiri or Keita played. Statistics are only limited though since there's only half a seasons data to work with.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #125: Jan 02, 2019 05:17:48 pm
      fancy Rib being worried about punctuation, I would be more worried about being out of step with most Liverpool supporters who tend to think JĆ¼rgen knows best.
      the most boring brainless argument. Just shut the forum down, don't debate anything anymore .. JĆ¼rgen knows best so what's the point. Lovren is the world's best midfielder and Mignolet is perfect for Liverpool then. JĆ¼rgen said that so it has to be right.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #126: Jan 02, 2019 05:21:00 pm
      Just look at the results. 2 out of 3 of the games we drew in PL had that midfield trio, the other had 2/3 of those players. In Europe 2/3 of the games we lost this season had that midfield. In the league, where we have had the most fortune, the midfield 3 has changed a lot and we've done better when Shaqiri or Keita played. Statistics are only limited though since there's only half a seasons data to work with.

Sorry but you said statistic shows they arenā€™t the best so please provide the statistics unless you are just bullshitting as per normal

Those two draws were against City and Chelsea - in Europe it was away at PSG and Napoli - what about the home games ?

If you are going to suggest ā€œstatisticsā€ that help prove your point actually provide them instead of just pissing in the wind

You are just posting an opinion ( an utterly clueless one ) at the end of the day - stop suggesting false stats
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,618 posts | 1514 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #127: Jan 02, 2019 05:24:50 pm
      Just donā€™t lose and Iā€™m happy!
      Hoping for a win but would be delighted with a draw at the end of 90.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #128: Jan 02, 2019 05:46:07 pm
      Our goal count has gone up by one in the last 3 games, 3, 4, 5 dare we dream for 6 at the Emptyhad probably not but a scrappy 1-0 will do me.
      Can't see us losing to them so it's all good down here in sunny Norfolk.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #129: Jan 02, 2019 05:51:10 pm
      Hendo, Milner and Gini have earned the right to be trusted time and time again in big games.

The alternatives have done no such thing........YET.

Personally Iā€™m with Danzel - Gini, Hendo and Fab but whatever JĆ¼rgen picks is peachy with me and more than capable of doing the job.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019 06:04:12 pm by Scotia »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #130: Jan 02, 2019 05:58:45 pm
      the plastic flags will be out in force tomorrow night. Its nights like these that can go down in history and songs will describe the victory its so close you can almost smell it
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #131: Jan 02, 2019 06:05:27 pm

He said in a post a few weeks back; "I don't give a F**k what Klopp thinks".

It shows his mentality and that he's only here as a wum.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #132: Jan 02, 2019 06:12:04 pm
      He said in a post a few weeks back; "I don't give a f**k what Klopp thinks".

It shows his mentality and that he's only here as a wum.
      no I didn't. I don't really swear much, of course people care what the boss thinks.... but do they have to agree 100%? not at all. Klopp is talented, but there's no way I'd agree with Milner, Hendo and Gini for this game. It's unlikely he'll do that anyway now. If you don't stop this smear campaign of Rib said <insert lies>, I'll have to return the favour.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019 06:16:14 pm by Ribapuru »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #133: Jan 02, 2019 06:12:58 pm
      Not many city fans in Boston so more than likely i'll be able to head to the pub to watch,nothing worse than a spotty student trying to give it the banter, :tosser:,,although i'm not sure how many of ours will be out on a thursday afternoon just after the holidays.Quietly confident is my mood for this and a smug grin,F**k em.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #134: Jan 02, 2019 06:14:03 pm
      Sorry but you said statistic shows they arenā€™t the best so please provide the statistics unless you are just bullshitting as per normal

Those two draws were against City and Chelsea - in Europe it was away at PSG and Napoli - what about the home games ?

If you are going to suggest ā€œstatisticsā€ that help prove your point actually provide them instead of just pissing in the wind

You are just posting an opinion ( an utterly clueless one ) at the end of the day - stop suggesting false stats
      It's not false stats, but our session has been so good there's only a handful of games where we can say we didn't do very well. That midfield 3 was present in most of them. This is fact! so go whistle.

Like I originally said, none of them are bad.. but the combination lacks creativity.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #135: Jan 02, 2019 06:18:01 pm
      It's not false stats, but our session has been so good there's only a handful of games where we can say we didn't do very well. That midfield 3 was present in most of them. This is fact! so go whistle.

Like I originally said, none of them are bad.. but the combination lacks creativity.

You said ā€œstatisticsā€ show they arenā€™t the best

Please provide the stats or you are just bullshitting
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #136: Jan 02, 2019 06:27:03 pm
      Our goal count has gone up by one in the last 3 games, 3, 4, 5 dare we dream for 6 at the Emptyhad probably not but a scrappy 1-0 will do me.
      Can't see us losing to them so it's all good down here in sunny Norfolk.

Did you count that 6 on one of your hands mate  ;),
      I agree , can't see us losing, i got us down for a 1-2 victory but a srappy, cancel each other out affair would suffice.

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #137: Jan 02, 2019 06:29:22 pm
      You said ā€œstatisticsā€ show they arenā€™t the best

Please provide the stats or you are just bullshitting
      only 33.3% re-occuring of games did not feature that starting line up, where we didn't win. The rest of the games did have that trio. That includes defeats to PSG and Napoli, draws against City and Chelsea. Napoli is included because Keita came off after 19 minutes.

Quick Reply