Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre Match: Manchester City v Liverpool , Thurs 3/1 20:00 KO

Read 17815 times
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Re: Pre Match: Manchester City v Liverpool , Thurs 3/1 20:00 KO
      Reply #161: Jan 02, 2019 10:59:28 pm
      I'd be not surprised if Lallana starts. He's superfresh and willing/able to press like sick. What do you think? Is he really worse than Fab or Keita? IMO if Milner can't go it should be Lallana.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #162: Jan 02, 2019 11:24:32 pm
      I'd be not surprised if Lallana starts. He's superfresh and willing/able to press like sick. What do you think? Is he really worse than Fab or Keita? IMO if Milner can't go it should be Lallana.

I would be pretty surprised.

Fab, Hendo and Gini for me.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #163: Jan 02, 2019 11:30:14 pm

No chance
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #164: Jan 02, 2019 11:32:14 pm
      I reckon Gini is a definate starter.  Along with fab

Think he might add Hendo to that mix. But careful tabs have to be kept on De Bruyne, if he starts.

Think we level up in attack and we can match them up in midfield. It's in defence were we have the edge. They have shipped a few of late and I saw gaps in their defence even when they beat West Ham 4-0. I can see a narrow 1-0 win...poss 1-1..
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #165: Jan 02, 2019 11:36:21 pm

Can't see it mush. I mean he wouldn't let us down but he is going to find it difficult to get game time.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #166: Jan 02, 2019 11:54:11 pm

Considering he’s the Keita-lite of the squad these days I highly doubt it. Still a fan of his though, even if some aren’t convinced.

Think it’s down to Fab or Keita, with Fab leading the race. Would put the house on Gini and Hendo starting.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #167: Jan 03, 2019 12:25:57 am
      Considering he’s the Keita-lite of the squad these days I highly doubt it. Still a fan of his though, even if some aren’t convinced.

Think it’s down to Fab or Keita, with Fab leading the race. Would put the house on Gini and Hendo starting.

I'd agree with that, but I'd add in Milner and Shaq.  The back 5 picks itself.  Salah, Bobby, and Mane are sure to start, while Gini and Hendo are almost certain starters.  That leaves 1 spot for the 4 above.  It seems yo me that Klopp likes Mo in the #9.  Bobby isn't a wide forward, so if Mo plays centrally then I expect Bob to drop into the #10 with Shaq on the right.  However, he could play Mo on the right with Bob in the #9, which would open a spot in midfield for one of Milner, Fab, or Keita.  I wouldn't rule out a Milner, Hendo, Gini trio -- as much as some of the forum members like to moan about the lack of creativity, it seems to be Klopp's most trusted trio. 

The nice thing is, whichever side he picks I will feel extremely confident in our ability to do the job!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #168: Jan 03, 2019 07:47:38 am
      Match day!!!!!!
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #169: Jan 03, 2019 07:51:40 am
      We need to make it through the first 20 minute onslaught (thinking CL 2nd leg last season when they needed a win). They’re going to throw the kitchen sink at us. We seen in that game though that they can’t keep that intensity up.

This is a battle of the midfields for me, if we can cut off their supply lines and stop their creative players getting involved in the game, we’ll stand a better chance.

They won’t be able to handle our attacking players, in particularly, Salah against Zinchenko I feel will be a key battle for us.

Get through the first 20 unscathed, build into the game, catch them out on a few counter-attacks, we win 3-1. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #170: Jan 03, 2019 08:08:13 am
      This day will drag
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #171: Jan 03, 2019 08:12:38 am

Correct. Back at work today for me too.

Went for the bus and was just about to step on when I realised I had the wife's car key in my pocket, had to walk back to the house and back down for the next bus.

sh*te start to the day so the only way is up.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #172: Jan 03, 2019 08:35:08 am
      A little quote I saw on BBC Sport shows how much of a must not lose game this is with City involved... we are a different machine though now but F**k it better be 10 points clear by 10pm tonight....

Even the recent history between these two clubs teaches us a lesson in not going too early. On 20 April 2014 Liverpool led Manchester City by nine points. Twenty one days later, City won the title.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #173: Jan 03, 2019 08:42:39 am
      aaaa come on reds...i will destroy my house cause of happiness if we win :)
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #174: Jan 03, 2019 08:47:46 am
      A little quote I saw on BBC Sport shows how much of a must not lose game this is with City involved... we are a different machine though now but f**k it better be 10 points clear by 10pm tonight....

Didn’t they have 2 games in hand then as well? Poor journalism  :mad:
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #175: Jan 03, 2019 09:24:15 am
      Think we go for the win here, a defeat isn’t the end of the world for us, a draw keeps the race alive, but a win really puts us in a stronger position than any of us would have hoped for before the season started.

Going to be a long day, only 10 hours to go!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #176: Jan 03, 2019 09:26:12 am
      A little quote I saw on BBC Sport shows how much of a must not lose game this is with City involved... we are a different machine though now but f**k it better be 10 points clear by 10pm tonight....

Were we leading Citeh by that much, I thought it was more or less neck and neck between us with us just a couple of points ahead, then we fu**ed up against Palace and the Chavs, I can't remember leading by 9 points!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #177: Jan 03, 2019 09:27:58 am
      Were we leading Citeh by that much, I thought it was more or less neck and neck between us with us just a couple of points ahead, then we fu**ed up against Palace and the Chavs, I can't remember leading by 9 points!

They had 2 games in hand
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #178: Jan 03, 2019 09:36:27 am

Yes its coming back to me now, thanks. I still have nightmares about that bloody Palace game, as I'm sure Brendan does. Why oh why not just go to a defensive shape after they got their first goal, shut up shop and see the match out. Anyway that's all in the past no good dwelling on it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #179: Jan 03, 2019 09:48:51 am

Yep was always a bit misleading and media picked up like a choke.

We just ran outta gas - we won something like 13/15 games at Anfield at season end and had won 12 in a row in all before Chelsea.

Always felt - mistakes and slip vs Chelsea aside - that was another total f***in’ distortion by the press.

That team had no real business to be where it was - Stevie, Suarez, Studge, a driving Hendo and (in fairness) BR unleashing a raw Sterling on an unsuspecting league carried us way above the sum of the parts.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #180: Jan 03, 2019 09:52:49 am
      Yep was always a bit misleading and media picked up like a choke.

We just ran outta gas - we won something like 13/15 games at Anfield at season end and had won 12 in a row in all before Chelsea.

Always felt - mistakes and slip vs Chelsea aside - that was another total f***in’ distortion by the press.

That team had no real business to be where it was - Stevie, Suarez, Studge, a driving Hendo and (in fairness) BR unleashing a raw Sterling on an unsuspecting league carried us way above the sum of the parts.

Similar to Newcastle some years earlier we learnt that you simply cannot rely on outscoring your opponents in every game, any title winning side must have a solid defence, which we now have :-)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #181: Jan 03, 2019 09:58:19 am
      Taken tomorrow off. Getting lashed tonight.

F***ing bring it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #182: Jan 03, 2019 10:05:13 am
      what cannot be in doubt by anyone is that this team under Jürgen has continued to improve since the first day he arrived. Tonight playing City doesn't worry me in fact it a game to look forward to but the prospect of going 9 points clear is just a bit mind blowing.
      I think it may have been mentioned before but I think Kiev is something these lads want to correct and just prove to people they are the real deal.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #183: Jan 03, 2019 10:05:25 am
      Similar to Newcastle some years earlier we learnt that you simply cannot rely on outscoring your opponents in every game, any title winning side must have a solid defence, which we now have :-)

Yeah, definitely. We had 1 gear during that season, always felt as though we could score 5 but easily concede just as many. Even under Klopp the last few seasons, we've only been able to play one way; attack. The 5-4 game in 2016 against Norwich springs to mind, we were fun to watch.. for the neutral :D This season, we are much more controlled and don't have to go hell for leather for 90 minutes every game. We pick and choose when we need to press high with intensity and that will stand us in good stead towards the end of the season, and as you say, we have the best defence the Premier League has seen since Chelsea a decade ago.

Quick Reply