Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Pre Match: Manchester City v Liverpool , Thurs 3/1 20:00 KO

Read 18239 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Pre Match: Manchester City v Liverpool , Thurs 3/1 20:00 KO
      Reply #92: Jan 02, 2019 09:30:13 am
      Massive match!  Not sure if Pep knows how to approach this match as they HAVE to win, but he knows if they go toe-to-toe, we can pick them apart.  Be very interesting to see how they play it.

We're in great form, they've just won after 2 horrible defeats, so we have absolutely nothing to fear.  Don't see us losing, but feel a score-draw is on the cards. 2-2 for me which would be a good consolidating result.

A defeat wouldn't be a disaster, but we'd need to bounce back immediately with a couple of wins.

This'll be a nail-biter!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #93: Jan 02, 2019 09:45:19 am
      Great game to start the New Year and even better it's on a Thursday night as I'll get to watch it.

Like you I'd take a draw all day long but we can beat them. We're in their heads now and are a match for them and they know it.

The only thing I think is a doubt is who JĆ¼rgen goes for in midfield as the back four and front three are nailed on for me.

Does he go conservative and have Hendo, Fabinho and Gini? Or is throw Shaqiri or Keita in there to give us a bit more going forward?

I have a feeling now that we have that gap he might just go with Hendo, Fabinho and Finished  and try and just control the game and let City have to try and break through a solid midfield.

It's hard to pick which midfield 3 he will go with because they are all playing quite well right now. Normally you'd expect the tried and tested Milner-Hendo-Gini combo but who knows. City's weakness is at the back so there is a lot to be said for being bold. Based on current form Gini is only absolute banker I think (our most improved player by far this season). Personally I would play Hendo-Gini-Keita as my 3. I like what Keita brings to the counter-attack in that he can run with the ball. However, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Klopp start with Shaq with Fabinho and Gini sitting. Great to haver some options!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #94: Jan 02, 2019 09:46:06 am
      City have to win - we don't - so in many ways, it is akin to the quarter final second leg last season

I'd go Hendo - Milner - Gini in midfield initially , as they will do their typical try to blast out a team first half, and as they blow themselves out, we have likes of Shaq on bench to carve them open like a post christmas turkey

Would love it if in a fit of madness Ederson gets sent off for taking out Mane and we absolutely rip them a new one !

LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #95: Jan 02, 2019 11:08:25 am
      I think it's so refreshing to be able to discuss our options in midfield for such a pivotal game in the season. Our options last year were limited and we were playing almost the same XI in the PL and CL, whereas now we are able to rest players and bring them in fresh with multiple combinations available; what a nice headache for Klopp to have.

I can see us going for Jurgy's destroyers in the middle (Gini, Hendo, Milner), for me, this is still our best midfield for the high press and not giving teams a chance to breathe in our half. Later on in the game if needed, bring on the likes of Shaq or Keita as City start to tire and more spaces open up.

I'd take a draw in this one but quietly confident that we'll catch them out on a few counter-attacks. They haven't kept a clean sheet in their last 10 games if I'm not mistaken (all competitions), their defence has collapsed when teams have attacked them, more and more teams are starting to realise that now.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #96: Jan 02, 2019 11:34:56 am
      Massive match!  Not sure if Pep knows how to approach this match as they HAVE to win, but he knows if they go toe-to-toe, we can pick them apart.  Be very interesting to see how they play it.

Itā€™s all in their own hands. Pep can:

1) press high and go for it.
      Itā€™s like theyā€™re 0-1 down anyway. Unleash the wing backs and leave two CBs behind. Fernandinho to protect the CBs. But it means leaving gaps for our front three to counter. One big diagonal lob to our wingers taking out their wing backs and with 3 against 2, itā€™s game over.

2) back four including Fernandinho sit back
      Attack with 5 men. But that means 5 vs 11. At best 7, assume WBs attack too. Then there will be gaps behind. On paper, you want 5-7 men to break down 11 Liverpool players with the meanest defence defending from the front including VVD, Ali, Gini, Fab? Wish Gomes and Chambo were in there too. 9 vs 11 maybe youā€™ll get a chance to score. But 7 vs 11 is a bit outnumbered. Their team will be stretched if half sit back.

3) employ Sergio Ramos tactics.
      Get one of our guys sent off or injured for numerical advantage. Send off or injure our ā€œone season wonderā€, ā€œpen cheatingā€, ballon dā€™or candidate Mo Salah.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019 11:48:41 am by ruthcity »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #97: Jan 02, 2019 11:42:32 am
      I think Pep will set up to stifle us in the midfield but also ensure he has adequate pace on the flanks. I'm guessing a line up similar to the UCL 2nd leg. And they might start without any of their full backs, given thats their weaker area. Or Walker/Danilo could start, pushing B Silva in and Gundogan on bench.

Ederson
      Stones Kompany Laporte
      B Silva Gundogan Fernandinho D Silva Sane
      Sterling
      Aguero

We were getting squeezed in the middle and they had quick turnovers, quick transitions to the wings to push our full backs back and restrict our midfield in our half. I hope we have counter measures for that, esp some penetration from the middle. Hendo and Gini are nailed on to start, will it be Keita or Milly for the 3rd? Both come back from niggles, I'll probably side with experience here and start our tried-and-tested 4-3-3!

Bobby Salah Mane
      Gini Hendo Milner
      Robbo Virgil Lovren Trent
      Alisson

Salah to play thru the middle, Bobby left and Mane right to take on Sane.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019 11:46:47 am by Vicks86 »
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #98: Jan 02, 2019 11:54:28 am
      Ederson
      Stones Kompany Laporte
      Sterling
      Aguero

3 at the back... brave.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #99: Jan 02, 2019 11:57:00 am
      I think Pep will set up to stifle us in the midfield but also ensure he has adequate pace on the flanks. I'm guessing a line up similar to the UCL 2nd leg. And they might start without any of their full backs, given thats their weaker area. Or Walker/Danilo could start, pushing B Silva in and Gundogan on bench.

Ederson
      Stones Kompany Laporte
      Sterling
      Aguero

We were getting squeezed in the middle and they had quick turnovers, quick transitions to the wings to push our full backs back and restrict our midfield in our half. I hope we have counter measures for that, esp some penetration from the middle. Hendo and Gini are nailed on to start, will it be Keita or Milly for the 3rd? Both come back from niggles, I'll probably side with experience here and start our tried-and-tested 4-3-3!

Bobby Salah Mane
      Gini Hendo Milner
      Robbo Virgil Lovren Trent
      Alisson

Salah to play thru the middle, Bobby left and Mane right to take on Sane.

Why do people say Hendo, Milly and Gini is tried and tested? This is by far our most negative and passive midfield and is also liable to be overrun and exposed against good midfielders, for an example of this watch the PSG away game again. I think we need to be solid in midfield but with some penetration as well so I'd probably go with Hendo, Fabinho and Gini if we want to be a bit safe or Fabinho, Gini and Keita if we want to push on a bit more or even go 4-2-3-1 and really attack them.
      Actually I think lets attack them from the first minute, even if we were to lose the game lets scare the sh*t out of them and other teams with our ferocity and passion.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #100: Jan 02, 2019 01:26:26 pm
      This game could be tailor made for us.  Citeh have to win, which will leave them open to counter attacks.  We just have to keep our heads and don't panic when they are throwing it all at us.

COME ON YOU REDMEN !!!!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #101: Jan 02, 2019 01:33:00 pm
      Pep is no mug far from it despite always having the most expensive players available to him he knows how to set up a team.I think he would take a point at this stage as a defeat would be an incredible blow to them.
      JĆ¼rgen is equally good at setting teams up especially against Pep its all so close for us if some one would have said you could be 4 points ahead of City and 6 ahead of SPurs by 5th Jan I would have said they are bonkers to be 9 ahead of Spurs and 10 ahead of City is just weird but who knows what this team and JĆ¼rgen could achieve.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #102: Jan 02, 2019 01:47:06 pm
      to be 9 ahead of Spurs and 10 ahead of City is just weird but who knows what this team and JĆ¼rgen could achieve.

I can't quite get my head around that! The idea of being 9 points ahead at the turn of the year completely frazzles my brain but it has upped the levity of this game. I'm a pessimist at the best of times but win the bloody thing and we've got one arm on the frickin trophy, it's crazy to believe. Having said that i'll take a draw all day long.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #103: Jan 02, 2019 02:08:36 pm
      4-1 to the Merry Redmen...

Klopp & the team are already in Pepā€™s head... they are more likely to overthink their approach & allow us to pick them off..
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #104: Jan 02, 2019 02:35:48 pm
      Haven't been on the forum for a while. Hope everybody had a nice Christmas and happy new year to you all.

Really looking forward to this game, I'm so excited. I keep seeing everywhere 'as long as we don't get beat then the title is ours to lose'.  I understand that, but imagine if we went there and won? It's a massive opportunity for us to stick the knife in and basically put them out of the title race.

If we do win, then we will be ten points clear of them, with a better GD with only 17 games left. We would have to drop points in at least four games for city to catch us and that's presuming they win all of theirs too.

I'd go as far as saying if we win tomorrow then we put City out of the race and we have one hand on the title. I'm not getting carried away but the position we would be in if we win tomorrow would be incredibly strong.

I also think it's the perfect time to play them. We are full of confidence whereas they've had a couple of poor results recently. They have no mendy or delph so we should be targeting their left back area using Salah. The pressure is all on them as they have to win, any other result for city is a sh*t one, so they will play right into our hands.  It's just set up perfectly for us and I don't think we will get a better opportunity to really kick them when they're down. Let's go there and F***ing win.

It'll be so interesting to see the starting 11 as this is our biggest game of the season. It's a title decider. Will klopp pick and trust his captain? Let's wait and see.

The back five pick itself for me.

Becker
      Trent
      VVD
      Lovren
      Robbo

The midfield three is where I expect to see some changes. For starters I don't think shaqiri will play in this one. We're going to have to put somebody a little more solid in there who will cover some more ground.

People know I don't particularly rate Henderson so he wouldn't play in this game for me. Instead, I'm going with Fabinho, Gini and Keita. 

Then the usual front three.

Henderson, lallana, shaqiri, Sturridge and hopefully Milner all on the bench who could be vital in playing a part in this match.

Make us proud reds. Let's smash them.

LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #105: Jan 02, 2019 03:29:16 pm
      Can see us playing:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Lovren
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Wijnaldum
      Henderson (c)
      Milner

Salah
      Firmino
      Mane

Subs:

Mignolet
      Clyne
      Fabinho
      Keita
      Shaqiri
      Lallana
      Sturridge

Genuinely buzzing for this game, cannot wait āš½ļøāš½ļø
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #106: Jan 02, 2019 03:37:46 pm
      Can see us playing:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Lovren
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Wijnaldum
      Henderson (c)
      Milner

Salah
      Firmino
      Mane

Subs:

Mignolet
      Clyne
      Fabinho
      Keita
      Shaqiri
      Lallana
      Sturridge

Genuinely buzzing for this game, cannot wait āš½ļøāš½ļø

Why are people so obsessed with playing Hendo, Gini and Milner, did they not see what happened when we played that midfield against PSG? Hint we were completely overrun and overpowered in midfield. Milner is simply not an option against pacy and strng midfielders so I'd be playing Fabinho instead of him. My ideal midfield for this would be Fabinho, Gini and Keita/Shaq as we need a solid DM pairing but we also need a link man between midfield and attack. I would also be ok'ish with Hendo, Fabinho and Gini.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #107: Jan 02, 2019 03:38:24 pm
      What's with people thinking we should start with Milner, Hendo and Gini. Not saying any of them are bad players, but it's a horrific combination in comparison to what we could do.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #108: Jan 02, 2019 03:43:37 pm
      I wouldn't go with hendo and Milner together . Gini Milner and fab for me
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #109: Jan 02, 2019 03:44:48 pm
      What's with people thinking we should start with Milner, Hendo and Gini. Not saying any of them are bad players, but it's a horrific combination in comparison to what we could do.

100% agree with you, but it seems we are in the minority on this, most other people seem to think that is our best trio, its bizarre!!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #110: Jan 02, 2019 03:45:18 pm

If we are to go for this midfield, I think we should play on the front foot and press high up, but away to City, It may be a cause for concern if we do that!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #111: Jan 02, 2019 03:48:39 pm
      Iā€™ll choose to trust Klopp on this one - heā€™ll make the right decision.

Who ever is picked should go out and enjoy it tomorrow I.e try something special like what Palace did or what we did last season against them.

Itā€™s going to be an amazing game
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #112: Jan 02, 2019 03:57:10 pm
      Henderson was 'rested' against Arsenal for just this match, so he will be back in the starting line up. Gini will play as he has been doing well recently. The final place in the midfield is a question: Milner (just caming back from injury), Keita (just coming back from injury and rusty too), Fabinho (not sure Klopp will go with him but IMHO it should be him), Shaqiri is on the bench for a 20 minute cameo in the 2nd half. At least that's how I see it.

I will be more than happy with a draw and more than likely result. I predict 2-1 to the Redmen.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #113: Jan 02, 2019 04:06:26 pm
      Why are people so obsessed with playing Hendo, Gini and Milner, did they not see what happened when we played that midfield against PSG? Hint we were completely overrun and overpowered in midfield. Milner is simply not an option against pacy and strng midfielders so I'd be playing Fabinho instead of him. My ideal midfield for this would be Fabinho, Gini and Keita/Shaq as we need a solid DM pairing but we also need a link man between midfield and attack. I would also be ok'ish with Hendo, Fabinho and Gini.

Thatā€™s one game - the same midfield three have played together many times and won matches including the game against Napoli

I expect Henderson to play and Definitely Gini - the other spot will be between Milner and Keita

The reason is he will look for high energy and trying to deny the space to players like Silva and Ferdinadiho etc
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #114: Jan 02, 2019 04:07:49 pm
      100% agree with you, but it seems we are in the minority on this, most other people seem to think that is our best trio, its bizarre!!!

I would have thought you would understand Klopp by now - he doesnā€™t have a ā€œbest 11ā€ - he has a line up for the opposition they will faced and the sort of game plan he wants to employ

Quick Reply