Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (9.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      24 (19%)
      Andy Robertson
      68 (54%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Jan 07, 2019 09:53:51 pm

Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 40215 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #943: Jan 04, 2019 10:42:16 am
      Could have done with Gerrard on the pitch last night to sort that c**t out with his tough man act.
      Souness would have had him stretchered off!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #944: Jan 04, 2019 10:43:38 am
      Very unlucky! Very Very Very Very Very Very unlucky not to come away with at least a point. Jürgen set it up exactly like Pep did at Anfield and we had our fair share of chances. Any other day, any other f**king ref, that was a sending off and would have been game over. For all the talk about midfield, we were doing a pretty good job until Lovren was a tad slow in judging Aguero's run. But we lost one game, just one f**king game, and people wanna breathe down the lad's neck. People make mistakes, its just that others pulled through to ensure we didnt drop points. But this time we did, heck, we still have a 4 point lead.

Until the Bayern game, we got 3 home games(Palace, Leicester, Bournemouth) and 2 away (Brighton, West Ham) and probably a 4th round tie if we negotiate past Wolves. City face Arsenal and Chelsea, albeit both at home. Take 15 from those 5 and then we'll see where they are!

1 game people.. just 1! The negativity here and in Twitter just perplexes me!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #945: Jan 04, 2019 10:53:12 am
      Looking at the fixture list...

We could be 10 points ahead of City by the 12th Jan, they play their next PL game 14th Jan due to cup commitments..
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #946: Jan 04, 2019 10:56:03 am
      Looking at the fixture list...

We could be 10 points ahead of City by the 12th Jan, they play their next PL game 14th Jan due to cup commitments..

So do we bud! ;D We just play Brighton before them. We win, go ahead by 7 and they can cut it back to 4 if they win against Wolves.

Both keep winning until the 1st week of Feb, they could be just a point behind after their Arsenal game as we have a Monday night kick off vs West Ham
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 11:01:10 am by Vicks86 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #947: Jan 04, 2019 11:00:17 am
      So do we bud! ;D We just play Brighton before them. We win, go ahead by 7 and they can cut it back to 4 if they win against Wolves.

Yeah true, got a bit too excited 😆
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #948: Jan 04, 2019 11:34:01 am
      City are a fantastic team it was a vey tight game so tight 1cm decided the outcome. Revionist crap about the selection the tactics the Subs is par for the Course these days and we would not have a forum apparently if we didn't have it.
      Kompany could have gone so could Fernandino for me so these small margins didn't go our way but lets ignore this and slag off the manager and the lads because they didn't want to win.

Spot on mate, anyone claiming we were outplayed or outfoxed is bordering on ridiculous. We lost a very tight game against the champions, with one of the most expensive squads in the world, playing at home, at their very best...and still getting away with at least one red card offence, clearing off the line a couple of times and getting the luck with the post.

Make no mistake, I'm not wearing my rose tinted glasses, City were brilliant at times and we made a few mistakes, one of which directly led to their first goal. But get that red card offence on Kompany, and Mane finishes that off instead of the post, it's a whole different ball game. We showed we had the bottle and we lost by very fine margins.

The only criticism I have is that Fab should have started instead of Hendo or Mills...aside from that, I can't fault our lads too much. Let's show how much bottle we have by going on another run.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #949: Jan 04, 2019 12:07:36 pm
      Changing from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 confirmed my fears that we got it wrong from the off.

We had glimpses in the first half, nearly going ahead, one or two nice passes, but we struggled to get a foothold in the game until we changed the system on 60 minutes.

We battled well up until the equaliser. But we looked knackered, which resulted in the second goal.

Kompany should have been shown a red. Didn't appreciate his lip service to Mo, either. Alien head.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #950: Jan 04, 2019 12:07:43 pm
      How f**king entitled must you feel to be angry with our team that is top of the league by 4 points after having already played the two matches against our main competitor for the league? Not even Celtic or Linfield fans must be like that.

I've also seen defeatism in here before - like people saying that no matter what happened in the Champions League final, we'd have lost anyway because Salah was subbed (a weird way to absolve that Besiktas goalie) - but thinking we've "blown" it still with a 4 points lead and a 17-3-1 record is taking it to new heights. Get a grip.

Sorry but who is being defeatist on here, all I see is some people who ar a bit disappointed with the midfield selection last night, that is all. The team is absolutely fantastic and I'm convinced we'll go on another run of victories now, this was just a tiny blip in a game against fantastic opposition who were super motivated.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #951: Jan 04, 2019 12:13:14 pm
      Changing from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 confirmed my fears that we got it wrong from the off.

It's been Klopp's go to midfield 3 for the bigger games.
      Arguably it hasn't worked though as the big away games, including CL, have been the teams undoing.

Would like to see Klopp go for it with 4222 for the rest of the season.
      Unless he specifically goes in for a 10 in January, which I doubt he will.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #952: Jan 04, 2019 12:20:18 pm
      Sorry but who is being defeatist on here

Eh, just catching up on the latest pages, and you just said it was a title decider. So you don't have far to look regarding who.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #953: Jan 04, 2019 12:22:23 pm
      Just avoiding the radio and TV news/sport bulletins right now. Talking sh*te.
      Gonna take the mutt for a stroll.
      The next game can't come soon enough...
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #954: Jan 04, 2019 12:25:48 pm
      It's been Klopp's go to midfield 3 for the bigger games.
      Arguably it hasn't worked though as the big away games, including CL, have been the teams undoing.

Would like to see Klopp go for it with 4222 for the rest of the season.
      Unless he specifically goes in for a 10 in January, which I doubt he will.

Yes, a more 'mature' selection/approach? Going by his quotes pre-game with Neville.

Find it ineffective this season, especially with the spread of Henderson, Milner, & Wijnaldum. The dynamic is much better with the two defensive midfielders behind the three/four ahead.

We may have got something out of the game should we have started this way. But we can only speculate...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #955: Jan 04, 2019 12:30:45 pm
      When Fab came on the game had settled down the pace was frenetic to say the least for the first twenty mins I think he would have struggled with that pace. He is getting better with every single game and I think by March we could well see Naby and fab feature more.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,363 posts | 290 
      Reply #956: Jan 04, 2019 12:32:49 pm
      It is disappointing and my initial fears about Klopp getting the midfield trio wrong were justified but City did a great job in forcing us back to Allison all the time no other team will do that to us and let's face it two bounces off a post go for us and we'd have won.
      We're in a great position but still have a lot of hard work infront of us City can't maintain that standard every game that takes a lot of concentration to do what they did I reckon they'll drop more points along the way.
      Klopp will dust us down and start again only City could have stifled us like that and we don't play them again we've just got to forget this and keep going.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #957: Jan 04, 2019 12:36:26 pm
      When Fab came on the game had settled down the pace was frenetic to say the least for the first twenty mins I think he would have struggled with that pace. He is getting better with every single game and I think by March we could well see Naby and fab feature more.

I truly hope so, they're much more assured and calm in the midfield. I rate Gini highly for his dynamism but Hendo for me will never be a top class midfielder. Not having a go at the lad, he's done a lot for us, but Fab and Keita are an upgrade.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #958: Jan 04, 2019 12:37:35 pm
      Should never start hendo and Milner together.  Especially against city
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #959: Jan 04, 2019 12:49:37 pm
      You've got Spurs, UTD, Arsenal and Chelsea fans all jumping for joy we have lost its rather sad that some Liverpool supporters find themselves pulling apart a really good effort last night to win the game.
      When we lose its the time to really get behind the lads there is a song it goes something like.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5_LQArLa0

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #960: Jan 04, 2019 12:54:20 pm
      It wasn’t a title decider

And some of those marks are laughable, you would think we were smashed last night

The reaction from people at the moment is embarrassing, we lost a very tight game by a fine margin but still sit at the top of the table

Get a f**king grip people

Top of the table clashes are referred to as title deciders. We won't know come may, but maybe our head to heads with city will probe crucial, and we only took a point.

I don't know why my marks are laughable. I haven't said once that we were out played or second best, but there were still under performers out there.

Becker was unusually jittery and nervous. He didn't have a great game in truth.

Trent and Lovren were all over the place at the back.

The midfield three were poor.

And none of the front three had their usual electric like game either.

In fact, apart from Robbo, VVD and Fabinho nobody played to their usual level.

Sorry, Jordan Henderson did, he was his usual sh*te self.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #961: Jan 04, 2019 12:58:22 pm
      How f**king entitled must you feel to be angry with our team that is top of the league by 4 points after having already played the two matches against our main competitor for the league? Not even Celtic or Linfield fans must be like that.

I've also seen defeatism in here before - like people saying that no matter what happened in the Champions League final, we'd have lost anyway because Salah was subbed (a weird way to absolve that Besiktas goalie) - but thinking we've "blown" it still with a 4 points lead and a 17-3-1 record is taking it to new heights. Get a grip.

I'm not angry with our league position, I'm not angry with our performance.

I'm angry that one or two players continually let us down who prove time and time again that they are liabilities and they aren't good enough for this club.

Then you get clueless idiots defending them saying that actually, they ARE good enough for this club and that anybody who says different has some sort of agenda.

Both Lovren and Henderson proved once again that they aren't at this level.  This level is challenging for the league title.  We are no longer a 8th placed team.

It truly baffles me how any red just can't see that and how any red just doesn't understand or know the standard required to A. play for Liverpool and B. win the title.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #962: Jan 04, 2019 01:03:02 pm
      If we don't win in May, yesterday will be seen as the crucial turning point. Klopp is getting a lot of criticism for fielding a midfield that offers no creativity. He deserves that for yesterday, because his best options didn't start.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #963: Jan 04, 2019 01:06:59 pm
      we don't know that yet.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #964: Jan 04, 2019 01:10:21 pm

It's one game in a season.
      City were up for it more as losing the game would almost rule them out.
      How Liverpool react from here will determine the title.
      Great teams win their next game.
      That's what Liverpool will have to do.

From this point on. Win the next game.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #965: Jan 04, 2019 01:12:01 pm
      If we don't win in May, yesterday will be seen as the crucial turning point. Klopp is getting a lot of criticism for fielding a midfield that offers no creativity. He deserves that for yesterday, because his best options didn't start.

I agree. It's not very often klopp leaves himself open for criticism but leaving out fabinho last night was a really strange decision. He's been one of our best players in recent weeks.

I personally would have played Keita too (especially with Milner not being fully fit). Keita is built for that type of fixture. I think he would have really excelled but we will never know.

But we saw (once again) the problems that those midfield three have when they play together so hopefully the mistake isn't made again.

Quick Reply