Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (9.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      24 (19%)
      Andy Robertson
      68 (54%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Jan 07, 2019 09:53:51 pm

Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 38203 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1012: Jan 04, 2019 03:09:21 pm
      Don't think lot of reds are suddenly realised Hendo is crap - what they are seeing are real options to play in CM instead of him. Imho Fab is a better option there now, and I'd have started him last night. But that still doesn't mean I think Hendo is crap. For years people have been critising Hendo, even when we didn't have the options we do now, when we had nobody to put in the middle who was obviously better than him. He never hid in matches, and Jürgen must have thought highly enough of him to pick him, and leave him as captain. Just cause times are better for us now, not going to start dumping on him either.

And why exactly should Hendo be outperforming the other CMs? Cause he's captain? So, we take the armband off him and it's OK then if he just does as well as them?  Last night, agreed with Jürgen, Milner needed to go off, he wasn't affecting the game. And Gini didn't play that well either. Yet Hendo gets singled out!?  You might not understand what other people are not seeing, but same can be said from the other side.

Not going to fall out over it, the diff in opinion on Hendo is as old as the trees..

I said he isn't good enough for this level and you've said yourself you would have started fabinho and we have better options in midfield.

Jürgen isn't the type of manager to unsettle a dressing room. He inherited Henderson who was captain at the time. That has certainly played a part in him staying captain.  He also inherited a squad that was short on leaders, we actually had none.

Apparently klopp asked the squad to vote on who the captain should be. Now you can look at this in two ways. The first would be how the Henderson fans will see it. That his fellow team mates chose him to remain captain so that must speak a lot. Fair comment maybe, or maybe he's just a popular and likeable lad who knows?.  The second way of looking at it is, why would klopp even have a vote in the first place if he was so sure on his skipper? Strange if you ask me.  Maybe jurgens polite way of saying he wants a new skipper and was hoping that the team would choose VVD.  Now that VVD has been here a year, it would be very interesting if klopp put that same vote forward to his team come May, I would expect a very different result but let's wait and see.

And yes. He's captain. Being captain carries responsibility. If he's consistently getting carried by both gini, Milner and whoever else then he needs to take a look at himself in the mirror and wonder if he's actually good enough for the job.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #1013: Jan 04, 2019 03:10:27 pm
      Kompany should have walked, F***ing manc ref bottled it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1014: Jan 04, 2019 03:20:40 pm
      I see as soon as we lose all the "experts" are out, "klopp got tactics wrong" "wrong midfield" blah blah blah, well he got his tactics right for the previous 20 games did he not. They had the luck and we didn't, it's only fine details in these top games. Get over it, move on.
      That's because against Arsenal we won 5-1 by starting Fabinho and Shaqiri, then we benched them and lost.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,276 posts | 799 
      Reply #1015: Jan 04, 2019 03:26:57 pm
      That's because against Arsenal we won 5-1 by starting Fabinho and Shaqiri, then we benched them and lost.

Yeah that's the reason we lost.

The fact we were at home to a decent Arsenal team and away to a fantastic Man City team would have nothing to do with it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1016: Jan 04, 2019 03:27:33 pm
      I see as soon as we lose all the "experts" are out, "klopp got tactics wrong" "wrong midfield" blah blah blah, well he got his tactics right for the previous 20 games did he not. They had the luck and we didn't, it's only fine details in these top games. Get over it, move on.

We see things as we are mate, not as they are.

This place is a great example of that. What we all betray is our internal neuroses and bias.

Im as guilty as anyone but - as best I can - I try to own mine and not be driven by them re fitba. Makes your judgement sh*te when you watch something seeking aftermation of a perceived truth as opposed to actually observing and trying to understand what you’re seeing.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1017: Jan 04, 2019 03:27:59 pm
      So next time he plays Shaq and Fab and we lose, because we will at some time, what then? Who/what will you blame it on then?? Give over lad.
      has not happened ever, so what do you mean next time? On contrast 8/9 points we dropped this season were from using that midfield trio. That's 88.8%!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1018: Jan 04, 2019 03:31:46 pm
      Yeah soft sh*te 10,4,1, points makes no difference in January it’s the tally in May that counts.

Are you incapable of doing a single post without adding an insult, what a childish and tedious mind you have
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #1019: Jan 04, 2019 03:35:28 pm
      Fake fans Fake songs,sure these manc c@unts get fed trill,that constant whistling when we were on the ball what the f@uck, and they even  play a Beatles song at the end of game ?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1020: Jan 04, 2019 04:45:40 pm
      Same sh*t, different day, same group of know nowts trying to stir the sh*t.

Pathetic.

Oh take it easy on them,  they've been waiting all season, six months like, to be able to perform their special skill set on here. And we just kept on winning to frustrate them. Sure there were some.Champions League matches away, and don't forget the League Cup vs. Chelsea, but in the league, Jürgen and the boys just kept winning and spoiled all their fun.

So they finally get a one-goal loss, away, to the defending champions, bankrolled without limit by Big Oil, where we hit a post, and had other efforts cleared off the line, and they should have been down to 10 men in the first half, our first defeat in 22 league matches, cutting our lead to only four points, well if that isn't the right time to come out and scream the door and gloom disaster/crisis message, then when is?

I mean come on Swab! Four points!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1021: Jan 04, 2019 05:31:04 pm
      f***in hell ya can tell we lost by the post count,think i'll stick with the FSG thread,it makes more sense!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1022: Jan 04, 2019 06:05:28 pm
      Oh take it easy on them,  they've been waiting all season, six months like, to be able to perform their special skill set on here. And we just kept on winning to frustrate them. Sure there were some.Champions League matches away, and don't forget the League Cup vs. Chelsea, but in the league, Jürgen and the boys just kept winning and spoiled all their fun.

So they finally get a one-goal loss, away, to the defending champions, bankrolled without limit by Big Oil, where we hit a post, and had other efforts cleared off the line, and they should have been down to 10 men in the first half, our first defeat in 22 league matches, cutting our lead to only four points, well if that isn't the right time to come out and scream the door and gloom disaster/crisis message, then when is?

I mean come on Swab! Four points!

And how dare the man with all the information to make a decision, based on his years of being at the top of his game, and metrics we know nothing about, not pick the team they want him to pick.

It's a diabolical liberty that he doesn't come on here to ask their advice.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #1023: Jan 04, 2019 06:06:23 pm
      I hope so mate.

VVD is our best player, first name on the team sheet and just our natural leader.

Makes sense.

Henderson has just signed a long extension to his contract - Klopp has already said he is his general and captain and that’s not going to change despite your opinion which imo is way over the top
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #1024: Jan 04, 2019 06:09:21 pm
      I've no idea what people such as yourself actually watch.

Henderson was poor and showed once again he is completely out of his depth against world class opposition.

Ah, that famous 'he did the job of a defensive midfielder' line. Look at how Kante played when he was in that role for Leicester and Chelsea when they won the league.  Look at Fernandinho for them.  That's how a defensive midfielder should play. And henderson is nothing like that. He's nowhere near like that. He doesn't do the job of a defensive midfielder at all.

What Henderson does is panic on the ball and choose the safest, easiest option and puts responsibility on his team mates. Every single week his team mates have to bail him out and carry him. By all means list all the games where Henderson has stepped up and dragged us over the line with his man of the match performance. I'll wait.

It shows people such as yourself just go out your way to defend him even when he's played sh*te too. How you can say 'I think Fabinho would have struggled in that first half' when he has been one of our best players recently and how it was clearly evident he changed the game for us when he came on last night is just baffling to say the last.

Well usually I'd have Milner in a game like this but he quite clearly wasn't fit so I'd have had Keita in for him too. But alongside Fabinho and gini. Which is what I hoped for in the pre match thread.

I know it won't happen mid season because it will just cause unrest within the squad and the media will create headlines but Jürgen needs to take that captaincy from Jordan and hand it over to Virgil asap.

Henderson is a squad player at the very most. God knows what some of you are watching it's quite scary. Or some of you are just completely deluded and have no idea what a top footballer is.

I noticed over the last couple of weeks people like yourself are very quiet when Henderson plays well and he has played very well

One defeat and straight away people like you go straight for Henderson when it’s clear it wasn’t his fault we lost and he was our best midfielder last night but you won’t ever see that - I expect you will be quiet until the next time
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1025: Jan 04, 2019 06:44:42 pm
      Tough loss last night, no doubt about it but once again a few of you have derailed yet another match thread reducing it to another futile and frankly boring Henderson slug fest. Surely we have had enough of these? Hamman my auto spell keeps calling you hangman and it’s apt because you are a bit of s thread killer for me.

I thought Carra had it spot on last night. He talked about LFC fans losing their sh*t when we drew at the Emirates for fear that city would disappear into the sunset. It didn’t happen. The same sense of calm should apply now surely? Don’t all lose your sh*t, We’re top of the league for fucks sake.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 06:52:05 pm by Scottbot »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1026: Jan 04, 2019 07:56:06 pm
      This is an ironic response because your grammar had the level of around a 12 year old, if that. The reason is that it gave the wrong impression that Gini, Fabinho and Shaqiri had been defeated as a trio(if reader reads your reply in conjunction with my post), whereas the truth is contrary as they are unbeaten with their most recent game being a 5-1 victory against Arsenal.

For the word "next" to qualify as correct in its determiner form, the event in question has to be something that has happened before.

So next time he plays Shaq and Fab and we lose, because we will at some time, what then? Who/what will you blame it on then?? Give over lad.

After explaining this, you can see why I explained "it has not happened ever".

If you were more concise I don't think I would have to argue your point.
      Bad grammar is one of the main causes of miss interpretations.

What you should have said is "If he chooses to plays <insert player names> and we lose, thus eliminating the assumption it is something that has already happened.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 08:08:29 pm by Ribapuru »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #1027: Jan 04, 2019 08:09:05 pm
      Henderson has just signed a long extension to his contract - Klopp has already said he is his general and captain and that’s not going to change despite your opinion which imo is way over the top

Agree and I don't know why it has to be repeated but Virgil doesn't need an armband to be a leader anyway.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #1028: Jan 04, 2019 08:11:30 pm
      Agree and I don't know why it has to be repeated but Virgil doesn't need an armband to be a leader anyway.

Exactly - the team is full of leaders on the pitch
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #1029: Jan 04, 2019 08:14:22 pm
      Exactly - the team is full of leaders on the pitch

I'm convinced the people that moan on about how Virgil must have the armband must be about 12 years old but sadly sometimes it's grown adults as well.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1030: Jan 04, 2019 08:25:46 pm
      I am not sure a piece of rag around a person's arm means much anymore.
      VVD is already the real captain, he is the person shouting and who has the fans respect.
      The official captain is a meaningless gesture now.

Personally I think that 3 defensively minded midfielders in a trio doesn't really work as well as having a balanced midfield.
      I'm hoping Klopp will come to the same conclusion, especially after last match.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #1031: Jan 04, 2019 08:27:50 pm
      I am not sure a piece of rag around a person's arm means much.
      Personally I think that 3 defensively minded midfielders in a trio doesn't really work as well as having a balanced midfield.
      I'm hoping Klopp will come to the same conclusion, especially after last match.

Gini isn’t “defensive minded “ neither is Milner as such

But it is funny that you i guess wanted Fabinho to play who is defensively minded  :mad:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1032: Jan 04, 2019 08:32:54 pm

don't encourage him to post more than he does. His age is obvious just give it 28 mins more and he will be dreaming of puppy dogs and bunnies
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #1033: Jan 04, 2019 08:33:15 pm
      VVD is already the real captain, he is the person shouting and who has the fans respect.

He is a leader no doubt about it but it's irrelevant if he has the fans repsect.

There are a few players who are leaders in our squad who have the managers and fellow players respect which is much more important when you're in a group or team.

Virgil is one and I know it upsets you, but Henderson is also one along with Milner and Allison.

They all have my respect, even though it matters very little as they all, Milner and Hendo especially as they've been here longer, do a lot for the club and are true examples of what a footballer should be.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1034: Jan 04, 2019 08:35:34 pm
      Gini isn’t “defensive minded “ neither is Milner as such

But it is funny that you i guess wanted Fabinho to play who is defensively minded  :mad:
      That is not the main point I was making anyway, we need either Shaqiri or Keita playing with any two of Hendo, Gini, Fab, Milner.

Quick Reply