Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (9.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      24 (19%)
      Andy Robertson
      68 (54%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Jan 07, 2019 09:53:51 pm

Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 37685 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1035: Jan 04, 2019 08:39:36 pm
      He is a leader no doubt about it but it's irrelevant if he has the fans repsect.

There are a few players who are leaders in our squad who have the managers and fellow players respect which is much more important when you're in a group or team.

Virgil is one and I know it upsets you, but Henderson is also one along with Milner and Allison.

They all have my respect, even though it matters very little as they all, Milner and Hendo especially as they've been here longer, do a lot for the club and are true examples of what a footballer should be.
      I used to think Milner, but this is probably his last season.. I think he'll be off to Leeds in the summer.
      Henderson doesn't turn up to the big games.
      Virgil and Alisson are great choices yes.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1036: Jan 04, 2019 08:47:36 pm
      I used to think Milner, but this is probably his last season.. I think he'll be off to Leeds in the summer.
      Henderson doesn't turn up to the big games.
      Virgil and Alisson are great choices yes.

Henderson has “turned” up at plenty of big games over his Liverpool career - stop spouting sh*te
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1037: Jan 04, 2019 08:53:21 pm
      Henderson has “turned” up at plenty of big games over his Liverpool career - stop spouting sh*te

Yep.

He was so vital under Brendan that I'm convinced if he didn't get suspended we would have ended up winning the league that year.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #1038: Jan 04, 2019 09:01:58 pm
      just watched it again and i'm gutted we lost, shiting it that we might let it slip

their 1st goal should of been a free kick to us for Aguero dive in the box than he is up and putting the ball in the back of the net every were else on the pitch ref gives a free kick, komp was a red card all day long  and then fvking we hit the post and 11 millimeters from we scoring and they hit the post and goes in for them

will have to take a trip down to the cliffs of Dover if we let it slip from this position 
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1039: Jan 04, 2019 09:03:07 pm
      I'm convinced the people that moan on about how Virgil must have the armband must be about 12 years old but sadly sometimes it's grown adults as well.

Why are you banging on about it then, trotting out clichĂŠs about a team full of leaders etc.
      If I had to decide, and had someone in the team who is the obvious leader, then having someone else with the band seems more about not wanting to upset sensibilities, which is fine, but a bit spineless.
      Lot of great teams have had great leaders.
      Someone has to have the band anyway - so just pick the best person for the job and get on with it.
      Obviously not now though while mid season.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1040: Jan 04, 2019 09:06:07 pm
      Do you have stats?
      What I expect is last 20 games against top 6 sides and his match ratings from any tabloid of your choice.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1041: Jan 04, 2019 09:08:04 pm
      Why are you banging on about it then, trotting out clichĂŠs about a team full of leaders etc.
      If I had to decide, and had someone in the team who is the obvious leader, then having someone else with the band seems more about not wanting to upset sensibilities, which is fine, but a bit spineless.
      Lot of great teams have had great leaders.
      Someone has to have the band anyway - so just pick the best person for the job and get on with it.

I'm pretty sure I never said we had a team full of leaders because we don't.

We have a handful of leaders but I'm 'banging on about it' because quite a few people seem so desperate for Van Dijk to have the armband that it's become like an obsession for them.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1042: Jan 04, 2019 09:20:59 pm
      Do you have stats?
      What I expect is last 20 games against top 6 sides and his match ratings from any tabloid of your choice.

Why would I need “stats” ?

Unlike you I don’t blurt out statements and then suggest there are stats to back it up

Henderson has played over 300 games for Liverpool - he has played plenty of big games in those 300 and turned up
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #1043: Jan 04, 2019 10:23:14 pm
      Wierd ain’t it ! We lose one game due to cities but of luck and our bit of misfortune, and not only do we slate half of our players, we would probably have a mass brawl if everyone got together and voiced their opinions in the Albert, instead of posting on here.
      We are top of the Prem, done most of the toughest games, and are 4 points clear.
      Ok, we were 7, and could have been ten, but after 22 games, had we won last night to go 4 clear, what sort of response would we have had then ?
      Lovren wasn’t great, and neither was Hendo or Millie.
      Nor was Sterling, Stones or Company.
      Sometimes the ball just doesn’t drop for you 🤷🏼‍♂️
      Let’s get behind all the lads and win the F***ing thing in the second half !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1044: Jan 04, 2019 10:42:30 pm
      A few people including non reds have said to me that they think last nights result will benefit us long term

Anyone see it that way
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1045: Jan 04, 2019 10:49:19 pm
      A few people including non reds have said to me that they think last nights result will benefit us long term

Anyone see it that way

I would imagine it will make the players even more determined bearing in mind they play the supposed best team in Europe and matched them all the way.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1046: Jan 04, 2019 10:56:29 pm
      Why would I need “stats” ?

Unlike you I don’t blurt out statements and then suggest there are stats to back it up

Henderson has played over 300 games for Liverpool - he has played plenty of big games in those 300 and turned up
      It's your opinion. There's no point in arguing an opinion. It's no more credible than anybody else's including mine, unless you have evidence. My opinion is different.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1047: Jan 04, 2019 11:09:21 pm
      I'm honestly wondering if people watched the same game as me. They were better, though not by a great margin on the night but could have had no complaints if we'd grabbed a point or, in fact,  all three.

Still daylight at the top, we play like that again at any other team in this league, we beat them.

Gave up trying to read the whole thread,  too much guff, bullshit and waffle to wade through, the usual suspects scapegoating the usual suspects and way over the top criticisms for some.

To be honest, if I had to lay some flak,  it would be aimed down our right flank, our weak spot all night and as a whole, we were a little sloppy in possession, we quite often had more time then it seemed ond we lacked a little composure. On another night,  we'd have scored three or four and, giving praise are it's due,  both Man City goals were excellently taken though I don't think many could have put Agueto's chance away.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1048: Jan 04, 2019 11:12:16 pm
      It's your opinion. There's no point in arguing an opinion. It's no more credible than anybody else's including mine, unless you have evidence. My opinion is different.

No, not all opinion have the same worth. Flat earthers, anti vaxxers and those that thought we wouldn't batter Arsenal, for example, are worthy of ridicule.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #1049: Jan 04, 2019 11:17:07 pm
      Baffled by some of the hugely over the top berating of players who put their all in for our club.

This group of players took us to a Champions League final last season and are now leading the race for the Premier League and got through a difficult CL group.

What more can you possibly want as a fan? It’s exciting to be competing on all fronts. We’ve watched some shocking football over the years and had to settle for mid-table mediocrity at times.

This is the best time to be an LFC fan right now. The players don’t deserve to be slated the way in which they are, they are leading us back to where we want to be.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1050: Jan 04, 2019 11:45:45 pm
      I'm honestly wondering if people watched the same game as me. They were better, though not by a great margin on the night but could have had no complaints if we'd grabbed a point or, in fact,  all three.

Still daylight at the top, we play like that again at any other team in this league, we beat them.

Gave up trying to read the whole thread,  too much guff, bullshit and waffle to wade through, the usual suspects scapegoating the usual suspects and way over the top criticisms for some.

To be honest, if I had to lay some flak,  it would be aimed down our right flank, our weak spot all night and as a whole, we were a little sloppy in possession, we quite often had more time then it seemed ond we lacked a little composure. On another night,  we'd have scored three or four and, giving praise are it's due,  both Man City goals were excellently taken though I don't think many could have put Agueto's chance away.

Interesting regarding the right flank.
      I thought we ushered them down that side to leave space behind for Salah, which is why our midfielders weren't wide on that side very often except in press or counter press situations.

I watched the game again this morning, and it seemed clear to me that we set out to deny them dominance through possession, which is what they like.
      Both Klopp and Pep changed the shape of their teams, during the first half, and the 2nd.
      It was noticeable to me, that Pep got his deeper players in exactly the right positions to cut down our long passes in behind to stop our counters.
      This was a chess game between two masters, and I think we were very unlucky to come away with nothing.
      I just wish I could spot more of the subtleties sooner, and not miss so many.
      It's blindingly obvious to me that these 2 managers border on genius, and I just wish I could do them justice when posting about them.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1051: Jan 04, 2019 11:47:33 pm
      Ach. Last time I posted we were 4 points ahead of the rest and we still are. That's good enough for me. Titles aren't determined in these matches alone - us doing the double over the Mancs in 2008/2009 proved that. It's what you do in all the other matches that you're supposed to win that decides it.

Anyhow, Happy new year to you all! Roll on the new year - let's all have a good time.

https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1080151581901946881
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1052: Jan 04, 2019 11:55:47 pm
      No, not all opinion have the same worth. Flat earthers, anti vaxxers and those that thought we wouldn't batter Arsenal, for example, are worthy of ridicule.

Rodders - in the million plus years we’ve been on this forum we haven’t always agreed.

However......

I promise you - your opinion is worth more than a lot of folks.

You’ve earned it by not talking sh*te a lot of the time.

That’s a high 5 where I grew up ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1053: Jan 05, 2019 12:10:26 am
      Rodders - in the million plus years we’ve been on this forum we haven’t always agreed.

However......

I promise you - your opinion is worth more than a lot of folks.

You’ve earned it by not talking sh*te a lot of the time.

That’s a high 5 where I grew up ;)

Always liked Rodders posts.
      He talks a lot of sense.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1054: Jan 05, 2019 12:42:39 am

Anyone see it that way

Don't know if benefit is the would I use Brian. I'd see it as a positive. Disagree with so many saying didn't play well etc etc. Before December fans from many clubs including Liverpool were saying just how good City are. They had their bad run but came back all guns blazing yesterday.

For me the game was very tight and not much between both teams. Taking into account you were the away side it was a very good performance. You lads played well against a formidable team ( just like yourselves)  For me the midfield let you down considerably. Hendo not the player he was and like I've said on other threads this will be his last year as Captain.

You didn't have the pace that City had in the midfield and that's where I thought they bossed it in my opinion. I personally wouldn't be upset the way Liverpool played. First loss in 21 games I'm a happy man if supporting the club.

The best team or second best team you matched them for me. Going to be a great climax hopefully. I'm hoping no team runs away from it and it goes to the wire, both teams deserves that.

Happy New Year pal.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #1055: Jan 05, 2019 12:47:59 am
      Just hope we win league these year, longer we go without winning premier league, more thing we never win one in my life time
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #1056: Jan 05, 2019 12:49:08 am
      Taught city were poor enough, we be more attack wise bit flair in midfield we won that game
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1057: Jan 05, 2019 01:31:00 am
      flat earth theory goes against evidence, so it's in the conspiracy bracket and not the best example. There was no evidence we would batter Arsenal, I expected a narrow win personally so I was pleasantly surprised.

Quick Reply