Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (9.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      24 (19%)
      Andy Robertson
      68 (54%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Jan 07, 2019 09:53:51 pm

Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 37666 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1104: Jan 05, 2019 05:11:35 pm
      HamannsTheMan, you go to matches regularly, don't you? What's the general consensus on Hendo from match goers? Just curious!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1105: Jan 05, 2019 05:13:15 pm
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kX-W-BG38

For gods sake.

'We finished fourth and we got to the European cup final with Hendo in the team that proves he is good enough'

Yes. But we didn't win anything did we? So what does it matter? As soon as they came up against top opposition they crumbled and Henderson was bloody f**king awful in that final. Probably the worst Liverpool captain performance in a final.

The team who got to Kiev weren't good enough to win it and they weren't good enough to win the league.  We've since made improvements and some upgrades and we are very nearly there.

But if Lovren gets more game time then know this, he WILL cost us more points and those points may prove vital come May.

We also look a million times better WITHOUT Henderson in the team. Just look at bloody Thursday when fabinho came on and went in his position. The difference was there to see.

Even his fan boys are starting to say 'I prefer Fabinho in the team BUT hendo is still brilliant' just so they don't contradict themselves or admit they were wrong about him. We are a better team without him and there's just no denying that. fabinho is better in the 6 and we have much stronger options in the 8.

We will never know will we but I firmly believe we would have taken something at city without those two in our line up. And that's why I highlight it because the margins are very fine and I have a feeling that only a point or two will be the difference come the end of the season.

I don't often say JĂźrgen got it wrong but on Thursday he did. The less game time those two liabilities get the better for us and the chances of winning silverware increase tremendously.

Christ that a lot of words but doesn’t actually answer the question

You post as if it “fact” that Henderson isn’t good enough to be captain for a team challenging for the title where as it’s just your opinion

Where as “factually” - we are challenging for the title and Henderson is our skipper - so you’re opinion doesn’t seem to hold weight.

We have looked good when Henderson has been in the team - and we have won

Lovren has to continue to play - but he will drop down when Gomez is back fit , he is back up now

The manager rates Henderson , quite clear to see , he is his general and skipper and will continue to be

Fabinho has had his issues - imagine the reaction on here if he played that pass at Arsenal which was blind

The manager wants Fabinho and Henderson to play together and you are going to see that happen more often - just have a look at the goal and see who played the ball to TAA
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1106: Jan 05, 2019 05:27:28 pm
      HamannsTheMan, you go to matches regularly, don't you? What's the general consensus on Hendo from match goers? Just curious!

I have a season ticket mate yes and always manage to get to a few aways.

In my opinion, local reds (in general) don't particularly rate him.

You hear a groan every now and then from the crowd when he does his usual safe, easy option passing or putting responsibility on others.

He gets skipped past too easily at times and backs out of tackles too which again gets a bit of a groan.

In the boozers afterwards it's pretty much the same. It's not the case we've had with say Mignolet or Moreno but there's definitely a vibe around the ground that he isn't good enough.

That's what I've experienced anyway. I'll be surprised if any other match goers on here say different.

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2019 05:35:00 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1107: Jan 05, 2019 05:34:14 pm
      Christ that a lot of words but doesn’t actually answer the question

You post as if it “fact” that Henderson isn’t good enough to be captain for a team challenging for the title where as it’s just your opinion

Where as “factually” - we are challenging for the title and Henderson is our skipper - so you’re opinion doesn’t seem to hold weight.

We have looked good when Henderson has been in the team - and we have won

Lovren has to continue to play - but he will drop down when Gomez is back fit , he is back up now

The manager rates Henderson , quite clear to see , he is his general and skipper and will continue to be

Fabinho has had his issues - imagine the reaction on here if he played that pass at Arsenal which was blind

The manager wants Fabinho and Henderson to play together and you are going to see that happen more often - just have a look at the goal and see who played the ball to TAA

Where do people like you get this info from? You just make it up as you go along.

What makes you think JĂźrgen wants to play Henderson and fabinho together? How many times has that happened this season?

If Milner wasn't injured on Thursday then I'm certain it would have been Henderson who came off for fabinho.

I was actually surprised that Keita wasn't introduced for Henderson at the same time, but we brought on shaq and Sturridge looking for a goal so that's understandable I suppose.

Going round in circles. You think he's boss and worthy of being Liverpool captain. I dont. I'm going to predict we will see less of him in the second half of the season (for our sake I bloody hope so) and that next season Virgil will be our captain. Let's wait and see. Until then it's pointless going on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1108: Jan 05, 2019 05:44:52 pm
      Where do people like you get this info from? You just make it up as you go along.

What makes you think JĂźrgen wants to play Henderson and fabinho together? How many times has that happened this season?

Because the manager himself has said it - injuries and getting used to the Prem has stopped it happening so much

If Milner wasn't injured on Thursday then I'm certain it would have been Henderson who came off for fabinho.

I’m certain you are wrong and that Milner was always coming off with Milner just coming off an injury.

I was actually surprised that Keita wasn't introduced for Henderson at the same time, but we brought on shaq and Sturridge looking for a goal so that's understandable I suppose.

We scored when Henderson moved higher who was then involved in the goal - Keita hasn’t shown anywhere near enough yet
      Going round in circles. You think he's boss and worthy of being Liverpool captain. I dont. I'm going to predict we will see less of him in the second half of the season (for our sake I bloody hope so) and that next season Virgil will be our captain. Let's wait and see. Until then it's pointless going on.

The armband is irrelevant for me - I think it’s a shame his own fans use it as a stick to beat him with as if he is supposed to have extra powers.

And I’m going to predict that Henderson will actually play a significant role and more games and will continue to be captain
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1109: Jan 05, 2019 05:54:53 pm
      I read the Daily Mirror down my dad's house this morning and read 2 interviews, one with van Dijk and one with Lovren. Read them and you'll see the difference in stature between them. van Dijk keeps his counsel and maintains his composure while producing colossal displays game after game. Lovren has another nightmare performance and instead of keeping his mouth shut and trying to improve his game goes on some childish rant as if the whole F***ing world revolves around him. Clown.

I like Swab watched the game again this morning and at no time did it ever look like we were under pressure or under the cosh. We held our own, offered a bit going forward and looked composed while lacking penetration until the introduction of Fabinho. I feel Klopp erred on the side of caution going into this game and why not? Our most difficult game of the Season and a game we went into with a 7 point lead over our opponent. Perfectly understandable and in no way can Klopp be criticised if indeed that was the case. Indeed, we controlled the game to a point, that point was when Aguero scored. It was then the plan changed, the control was lost for a moment. Klopp waited and then introduced Fabinho, we instantly looked different, no laboured transition, instant change.

The midfield selection was never going to produce creativity, Wijnaldum, Milner or Henderson will never produce that, it's not their game. Klopp clearly was looking to contain, Fernandinho and Silva had different ideas and it showed. To think we could have won that game despite being overrun in midfield shows how far we have come under Klopp. You know there's a problem though when Bobby and Mo are coming inside their own half to look for the ball. That's part of the reason Mane gets so frustrated when we play with such a lacklustre midfield, he gets starved and drifts out of the game.

The only time i've been critical of JĂźrgen is when he has been slow to introduce new signings into the starting eleven but he knows the players better than i ever will. He did it with Robbo, Ox, Arnold, Fabinho and he is still doing it with Keita. He has proved me wrong every time though. He knows when a player is ready and he doesn't want to imbalance the side by rushing players in that aren't fully ready to integrate into the side.

I feel Klopp knows his first choice eleven already and is just waiting for everything to ripen before he implements his final plan. Going forward i expect our first eleven to be Alisson, Arnold, Robertson, Gomez, van Dijk, Fabinho, Keita, Chamberlain, Mane, Firmino and Salah. I think this will be Milner's last season with Henderson and Wijnaldum rotating for certain games and Shaqiri rotating both in attack and midfield. I think Klopp will look for another centre back, an attacking midfielder and a back up striker in the Summer with possibly another full back.

Solanke leaving was an interesting one for me. Klopp clearly sees no future here for Dominic and has at least given the boy the opportunity to ply his trade elsewhere and good luck to him. When he plays for England he's a different beast. Origi? A case of no interested parties? Probably. 

In any case, nothing about the City game had me worried at all. At no point did i think we were going to get battered, we dictated the majority of the game and both goals came from mistakes. Guardiola will know he was lucky to come away from that game with three points. I have no interest in leaning to the ball hitting the post or the 11mm Hawkeye incident. For me the challenge from Kompany on Salah was the luck for City that helped them win the game.

Nothing to see here, not a bad performance, just bad luck.

Onwards we march. The title is coming.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1110: Jan 05, 2019 06:21:05 pm
      I read the Daily Mirror down my dad's house this morning and read 2 interviews, one with van Dijk and one with Lovren. Read them and you'll see the difference in stature between them. van Dijk keeps his counsel and maintains his composure while producing colossal displays game after game. Lovren has another nightmare performance and instead of keeping his mouth shut and trying to improve his game goes on some childish rant as if the whole f**king world revolves around him. Clown.

I like Swab watched the game again this morning and at no time did it ever look like we were under pressure or under the cosh. We held our own, offered a bit going forward and looked composed while lacking penetration until the introduction of Fabinho. I feel Klopp erred on the side of caution going into this game and why not? Our most difficult game of the Season and a game we went into with a 7 point lead over our opponent. Perfectly understandable and in no way can Klopp be criticised if indeed that was the case. Indeed, we controlled the game to a point, that point was when Aguero scored. It was then the plan changed, the control was lost for a moment. Klopp waited and then introduced Fabinho, we instantly looked different, no laboured transition, instant change.

The midfield selection was never going to produce creativity, Wijnaldum, Milner or Henderson will never produce that, it's not their game. Klopp clearly was looking to contain, Fernandinho and Silva had different ideas and it showed. To think we could have won that game despite being overrun in midfield shows how far we have come under Klopp. You know there's a problem though when Bobby and Mo are coming inside their own half to look for the ball. That's part of the reason Mane gets so frustrated when we play with such a lacklustre midfield, he gets starved and drifts out of the game.

The only time i've been critical of JĂźrgen is when he has been slow to introduce new signings into the starting eleven but he knows the players better than i ever will. He did it with Robbo, Ox, Arnold, Fabinho and he is still doing it with Keita. He has proved me wrong every time though. He knows when a player is ready and he doesn't want to imbalance the side by rushing players in that aren't fully ready to integrate into the side.

I feel Klopp knows his first choice eleven already and is just waiting for everything to ripen before he implements his final plan. Going forward i expect our first eleven to be Alisson, Arnold, Robertson, Gomez, van Dijk, Fabinho, Keita, Chamberlain, Mane, Firmino and Salah. I think this will be Milner's last season with Henderson and Wijnaldum rotating for certain games and Shaqiri rotating both in attack and midfield. I think Klopp will look for another centre back, an attacking midfielder and a back up striker in the Summer with possibly another full back.

Solanke leaving was an interesting one for me. Klopp clearly sees no future here for Dominic and has at least given the boy the opportunity to ply his trade elsewhere and good luck to him. When he plays for England he's a different beast. Origi? A case of no interested parties? Probably. 

In any case, nothing about the City game had me worried at all. At no point did i think we were going to get battered, we dictated the majority of the game and both goals came from mistakes. Guardiola will know he was lucky to come away from that game with three points. I have no interest in leaning to the ball hitting the post or the 11mm Hawkeye incident. For me the challenge from Kompany on Salah was the luck for City that helped them win the game.

Nothing to see here, not a bad performance, just bad luck.

Onwards we march. The title is coming.

Very good post and I agree with most.

I thought we were under the cosh at times though and struggled to cope with their energy and high press. We panicked on the ball at times and lost our cool, especially in the first ten minutes.

Agree on klopp knowing his 11 and I agree with that team too - that's how I see it as well.

You're right that it was an even game, one that we found ourselves unlucky to come away with no points, but again it comes down to fine margins and mistakes cost us. Our centre half sadly isn't good enough for such a fixture and as you say, we had nothing in the midfield until fabinho was introduced.

I just hope JĂźrgen doesn't put his trust in the same culprits for the upcoming fixtures.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2019 06:35:26 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1111: Jan 05, 2019 06:33:29 pm

For gods sake.

'We finished fourth and we got to the European cup final with Hendo in the team that proves he is good enough'

Yes. But we didn't win anything did we? So what does it matter? As soon as they came up against top opposition they crumbled and Henderson was bloody f**king awful in that final. Probably the worst Liverpool captain performance in a final.

The team who got to Kiev weren't good enough to win it and they weren't good enough to win the league.  We've since made improvements and some upgrades and we are very nearly there.

But if Lovren gets more game time then know this, he WILL cost us more points and those points may prove vital come May.

We also look a million times better WITHOUT Henderson in the team. Just look at bloody Thursday when fabinho came on and went in his position. The difference was there to see.

Even his fan boys are starting to say 'I prefer Fabinho in the team BUT hendo is still brilliant' just so they don't contradict themselves or admit they were wrong about him. We are a better team without him and there's just no denying that. fabinho is better in the 6 and we have much stronger options in the 8.

We will never know will we but I firmly believe we would have taken something at city without those two in our line up. And that's why I highlight it because the margins are very fine and I have a feeling that only a point or two will be the difference come the end of the season.

I don't often say JĂźrgen got it wrong but on Thursday he did. The less game time those two liabilities get the better for us and the chances of winning silverware increase tremendously.

The point revolves around the hysterics of him being a mid table player. He has been a part of a team that has challenged for the title previously, as well as being a member of a team that has reached the league cup, FA cup, UEFA Cup and Champions League finals and is in this moment challenging for the league again.  So perhaps he isn’t good enough to take the final step and win those titles but he has evidently proved he is considered good enough for a team that challenges for honours and across different managers which would indicate it isn’t a blind spot of Jurgens.

For Henderson, evidently he does have a role to play in a team that challenges for titles as he already has and continues to do that, even when we’ve gone and signed 2 expensive midfielders in the summer. He can be improved upon but it isn’t the absolute disaster it’s being made out to be as the evidence is there that he can be a member of a team that challenges. In my opinion of course.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2019 03:10:51 am by RedWilly »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1112: Jan 05, 2019 06:34:51 pm
      Because the manager himself has said it - injuries and getting used to the Prem has stopped it happening so much

I’m certain you are wrong and that Milner was always coming off with Milner just coming off an injury.

We scored when Henderson moved higher who was then involved in the goal - Keita hasn’t shown anywhere near enough yet
      The armband is irrelevant for me - I think it’s a shame his own fans use it as a stick to beat him with as if he is supposed to have extra powers.

And I’m going to predict that Henderson will actually play a significant role and more games and will continue to be captain

I wasn't aware he has. Show me his quotes please so I can have a read of JĂźrgen saying he sees fabinho and Henderson starting together in his midfield. I find that very interesting and rather unusual too.

Yes. That's exactly what I said. Milner came off because he was injured. If he was fully fit then I believe he would have stayed on the pitch as the 8 and the Fabinho would have come on for Henderson as a straight swap.  Because Milner was injured, it meant playing Henderson further up the pitch so we could bring on attacking options - shaqiri and Sturridge. 

The game changed because of Fabinho. He was excellent when he came on and I keep saying it, but the difference was there to see. I have, however, stated a few times in this thread that henderson improved and got more involved. But make no mistake, it was Fabinho was starting to pull the strings, nobody else. Henderson just went from a 2/10 to a 5/10 that's all.

Keita is still finding his feet but he has shown glimpses already that he is better than anybody else we have in that position. He should be playing more but like hardcore says above me, klopp knows when it's right to introduce his players to the team so we will have to patiently wait.

The armband is clearly relevant but I can't even be arsed explaining why if you're going to rubbish such an honour of being Liverpool captain off.

Oh he can play a role alright. There are certain moments in certain games we need, what people refer to as 'fresh legs'. Henderson can do that perfectly fine. Help us see out games. Help keep our other players fit and fresh.

But he shouldn't be starting any more. Certainly not in the big games against opposition who are miles better than him. Again, like hardcore above me, I think he will start less as time goes on and that sooner or later we will see start to see more of what I believe jurgens 11 to be.

I'll leave that there anyway because I'm getting the feeling you're just quoting me for the sake of it now. There's nothing either of us can add to what we've already said. Going round in circles lad, turn it in.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1113: Jan 05, 2019 06:35:03 pm
      Nothing to see here, not a bad performance, just bad luck.Onwards we march. The title is coming.
      sums up the night perfectly mate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1114: Jan 05, 2019 06:53:48 pm
      nothing to do with us losing the league the other night I just want people to cheer up and if this doesn't make you smile nothing will
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcn9ouTdmm0
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #1115: Jan 05, 2019 07:11:37 pm
      Purposely didn't post last night because I was quite angry but even after I've slept on it I feel no different so here we go.

So as always I'll start with the line up. I put in the pre match thread the team I wanted to go with so I was disappointed seeing Milner gini and Henderson in the middle. I honestly couldn't care less what results those three have gotten in the past, if you can't see the problems we have in midfield when those three all play together then you're just deluded. There is no balance or flair at all - which we then saw which I'll discuss in a minute.

So the game starts and for the first five or ten minutes I thought we were all over the place. We were quite clearly nervous which I was a little surprised at. City were forcing us into mistakes and had us under the cosh. We weathered the storm though and started to settle down and grow into the game.

We then should have taken the lead with manes effort that hit the post and then that bizarre goal line clearance from stones. How the F**k did that not go in? Even now I can't F***ing believe it.

I also think kompany should have been given a red too for that reckless challenge on Salah but the ref bottled it.

City score towards the end of the half which was a good goal by aguero but poor defending on our half. We just switched off and lost concentration. It felt at the time that goal was against the run of play, I didn't think city deserved to be in front.

Second half begins and it's obvious we need to make a change. We just weren't getting enough out of our midfield three. Milner was still obviously carrying a knock so he was the one to leave the field but personally I wanted to drag henderson off who I thought up until this point was abysmal once more. 

Fabinho comes on as the 6 and straight away you saw the difference. Finally somebody who looks up and passes the ball F***ing forward. Somebody who isn't afraid to carry the ball a little bit forward either.  To be fair to Henderson, he improved somewhat once he moved further forward too.

The equaliser came which I thought was a cracking goal from us. Really well worked and thoroughly deserved too.

City then score another which again seemed to come from nowhere and, again, just poor defending from us. It was the type of goal we used to concede regularly 3-4 seasons ago.

We huffed and puffed and despite having two or three pin ball like moments in the city box, we just couldn't find the equaliser and city took the points. Very disappointing result for us.

Becker - don't think he could have done anything for either goal but his kicking was dog sh*t.  5/10

Trent - inexperienced showed at the back at times. Played some nice stuff going forward though but crossing is still a little bit off compared to usual. 5/10

Lovren - I've said literally hundreds of times he isn't good enough for us. He's awful. Similar to Henderson he has his supporters but I honestly have no idea what the F**k they're watching. Another terrible performance from dejan and he has proven once more he is a liability who can't be trusted. You could argue that he cost us this game. 1/10

VVD - Did very little wrong. Solid as always. 8/10

Robertson - my motm. Thought he had Sterling in his back pocket once again. Considering how rapid Sterling is, he never seems to get past andy does he? Good going forward as usual too. 9/10

Henderson - Was hoping he wouldn't play. Yet another massive game where he doesn't contribue. This is a title decider and our captain is just non existent, it's actually embarrassing how little he offers us. Ive never, ever, seen Henderson give 'a captain like performance' ever. I'm just sick of him. The only compliment I can give to him is that once fabinho came on, he moved up the pitch and played a bit better. 3/0

Milner - Poor. Think he's still carrying a knock. 4/10.

Gini - Bits of flashes then goes missing. Frustrating. 4/10

Salah - Even though he didn't have the best of games I thought he was a threat still. 6/10

Mane - Same. He didn't have his shooting boots on but he still looked threatening at times. 6/10

Firmino - thought Bobby was quiet until the late stages of the game. 5/10

Fabinho - should have started. Head and shoulders above Henderson in the DM role. Made a massive difference once he came on. 8/10.

Shaqiri and Sturridge. Didn't have enough time to really contribute.

Klopp - not often our JĂźrgen gets it wrong but I think he did tonight. Thought the game was crying out for keita as well as Fabinho and the changes should have come sooner.

Wow.  All those words.

All you really needed to say was

“I know nothing about football.”
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1116: Jan 05, 2019 07:42:53 pm
      He's not good enough for the level we currently find ourselves at.

For West Ham, he would be a decent player. For us, challenging for the league, being our captain? Nah. Not good enough.

And yet here we are, challenging for a PL title, and in the last 16 of the CL.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1117: Jan 05, 2019 07:43:43 pm
      city back clear favs with bookies. And Fernandinho questions our bottle.

Ill take that
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1118: Jan 05, 2019 08:12:42 pm
      Wow.  All those words.

should qualify for post of the month nearly split my coffee
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1119: Jan 05, 2019 08:47:53 pm
      Disappointed to lose considering how the game was decided on such tight margins. In general we played ok, both teams had some good periods of possession and varying degrees of pressure. I thought we weathered the early storm exceptionally well, and then proceeded to create the best openings in a very tight 30/35 minutes. We don't score (still not sure how we didn't) and then Aguero does. Lovren's flat footed but you do have to give credit to Aguero, it was a very good touch and great strike.

Second half it was clear we needed to change as the momentum was against us. Thought the 4-2-3-1 then worked fairly well and it was incredibly disappointing to concede an avoidable goal not long after scoring ourselves. Again though, very clinical from Sane.

Didn't think there was much in it, and it's definitely not worthy of any hysteria. We've handed some momentum back to City in the title race and now it's up to us to bounce back starting at Wolves and then to Brighton.

Really think the defeat could actually focus the team more, and looking at the league fixtures for the rest of January, away to Brighton and then Palace and Leicester at home, hopefully we can pick up nine of out nine and set a relentless pace for City to try and follow.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #1120: Jan 05, 2019 11:26:37 pm

For gods sake.

I agree with, it seems like the majority of peeps on here, but the rub is JK trusts them to do job. We need to match, or better, what our rival team does.  If we have a bad run, which I know we can, lets worry about it then, until then, lets just get on with it and enjoy the ride.  One unlucky result guys, we should've got something out of it.  We go again
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1121: Jan 05, 2019 11:53:25 pm

How did that happen mate when “Barry from t’interweb” says JĂźrgen got it wrong 🤷‍♂️ and his selection would be better  :lmao:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1122: Jan 06, 2019 12:34:43 am
      I wasn't aware he has. Show me his quotes please so I can have a read of JĂźrgen saying he sees fabinho and Henderson starting together in his midfield. I find that very interesting and rather unusual too.

Yes. That's exactly what I said. Milner came off because he was injured. If he was fully fit then I believe he would have stayed on the pitch as the 8 and the Fabinho would have come on for Henderson as a straight swap.  Because Milner was injured, it meant playing Henderson further up the pitch so we could bring on attacking options - shaqiri and Sturridge. 

The game changed because of Fabinho. He was excellent when he came on and I keep saying it, but the difference was there to see. I have, however, stated a few times in this thread that henderson improved and got more involved. But make no mistake, it was Fabinho was starting to pull the strings, nobody else. Henderson just went from a 2/10 to a 5/10 that's all.

Keita is still finding his feet but he has shown glimpses already that he is better than anybody else we have in that position. He should be playing more but like hardcore says above me, klopp knows when it's right to introduce his players to the team so we will have to patiently wait.

The armband is clearly relevant but I can't even be arsed explaining why if you're going to rubbish such an honour of being Liverpool captain off.

Oh he can play a role alright. There are certain moments in certain games we need, what people refer to as 'fresh legs'. Henderson can do that perfectly fine. Help us see out games. Help keep our other players fit and fresh.

But he shouldn't be starting any more. Certainly not in the big games against opposition who are miles better than him. Again, like hardcore above me, I think he will start less as time goes on and that sooner or later we will see start to see more of what I believe jurgens 11 to be.

I'll leave that there anyway because I'm getting the feeling you're just quoting me for the sake of it now. There's nothing either of us can add to what we've already said. Going round in circles lad, turn it in.

Do you want me to dig up Jurgens quotes where he says Lovren is one of the best centre backs around and that he doesn’t recall a mistake his made since the Spurs game in October 2017. Or will that not suit your agenda?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1123: Jan 06, 2019 09:45:37 am
      I want to know why so many people scored points in the prediction league after the City game were people going for a city win come on own up
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1124: Jan 06, 2019 10:58:15 am
      Wow.  All those words.

You obviously don’t read his posts over the past few seasons then. He goes to games regularly and I find what he says usually spot on.

Fabinho came on and looked superb so should have started. Lovren was awful but we had no one else anyway.

It was such a tight game and I’m still so upset we couldn’t hold on.

End of the day it’s City away from home and it’s never going to be easy - just felt like we deserved something from that game.

Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks becuase I believe that will tell us if we have the right response
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1125: Jan 06, 2019 11:57:55 am
      You are a troll - you don’t actually offer an opinion of note , you post stuff that you know someone will react too. At first I thought you have some sort of ADHD or something but then it just looked on purpose. Good trolls aren’t too obvious- you are clear as day , you can’t even do that right.

Just because you don't agree with his opinion does not mean its not an opinion. If anything you are the one acting like a troll, certainly a bully!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1126: Jan 06, 2019 12:07:27 pm

Yes, because we mostly don't play a midfield of Henderson, Milner and Gini, if we did then no way would we be where we are. I know JĂźrgen chose the safe option here but I hope he reflects that it was to safe, that midfield can only work against a team which has a fairly static midfield and attack, against a team liek Citeh it can work to an extent but you leave yourself very vulnerable as well, as we saw.

I also agree with the sentiment that it was just one game, with a bit more luck we could have won and we march on, I'm a bit concerned by this fringe payer sell off though, we are now down to just one additional senior forward, in Sturridge, and he's an injury waiting to happen, I'm getting worried.

Quick Reply