Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Rafael Camacho
      5 (4.6%)
       Fabinho
      33 (30.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.9%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (3.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Ki-Jana Hoever
      58 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: Jan 11, 2019 09:37:45 pm

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33235 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #897: Jan 08, 2019 11:23:52 am
      I'd put my house on him knowing more about the condition of the current Liverpool squad than we do.  No 'but maybe' required.

I’d like to think so. For sure.

Not even for your family home JD - just for my mental health.......
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #898: Jan 08, 2019 11:34:38 am
      Spurs and City will play their B-team, just like we would, in League Cup and FA-Cup, maybe added with a guy like KDB. That's actually an asset because second stringer get a chance to play to be ready when needed or longterm injured players can smooth in (like e.g. Ox). We watched Sturridge yesterday, totally out of rhythm because no minutes on the pitch for forever...the guy was deadly at season's start.

But maybe Klopp knows more than we do, maybe there are several players that are hurting or maybe he knows we won't have the ressources Spurs and City have. He can't tell for competitive reasons, but his actions showed that he's willing to sacrifice the FA-Cup which is odd because it's a prestigious cup, not like the League Cup. But it is what it is. Klopp knows some sh*t about football and we should just trust him like sheep its shepard.

I'd be amazed if Chelsea and Spurs don't field very strong teams tonight, I'd only expect 2 or 3 players rested in each side and even then they would be on the bench ready to be used if needed.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #899: Jan 08, 2019 11:46:45 am
      Cup game vs Chelsea:

Mignolet
      Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Moreno
      Milner
      Fabinho
      Keita
      Shaqiri
      Sturridge
      Mane

4-3-3

Cup game vs Wolves:

Mignolet
      Moreno
      Fabinho
      Lovren
      Camacho
      Jones

Keita
      Milner
      Shaqiri
      Origi
      Sturridge

4-4-2

Not a lot of changes, but enough to make the difference.

Back 4 was pretty weak (especially after the Lovren injury) and a big difference from the Chelsea game. Fabinho, Camacho, and then Hoever coming in from basically the start of the match. Perhaps we would have made it through the match with Lovren there? Bit unlucky that.

Only difference in midfield was Jones instead of Fabinho. Then in attack, we missed the quality of Mane and went with Origi.

Significant difference was the formation, and I said it during the 1st half. The lads have not been playing a 4-4-2. I think it was a mistake by Klopp to make that change. Both Origi and Sturridge were dropping back in search for the ball. There wasn't a flow of the ball from midfield to attack.

Milner, Camacho, Shaqiri were all out of position for parts of the 1st half. There seemed to be a total lack of positioning from the players, and that made us open to attack, and sloppy in possession.

In hindsight, a 4-3-3- with Mane ahead of Origi would have worked better. Playing Jones also backfired. We ended up having Moreno and Jones as the attacking flair down the left side and I only remember seeing one decent opportunity which Jones himself created (with a great bit of play). But it wasn't enough ultimately.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #900: Jan 08, 2019 11:51:21 am
      Fine margins and all that.
      Lallana knock.
      Henderson & VVD illness.

Would have given the team a more solid base.

Also think LFC unlucky in the draw to get a very tough opponent.
      The injury to Lovren showing why Klopp chose to rest so many starters for this game.

Top of the league and pushing for a first Premier League title.
      There was always going to be compromises somewhere as a result.

Even so, good to see some of the youngsters get some time in the first team.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 11:58:05 am by racerx34 »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #901: Jan 08, 2019 11:55:52 am
      Lallana knock.
      Henderson & VVD illness.

The injury to Lovren showing why Klopp chose to rest so many starters for this game.

people moaned about the EFL exit, now we're top of the league with a very relaxed January schedule wise, it's a good chance to recover our form and players.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 11:58:16 am by racerx34 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #902: Jan 08, 2019 11:57:55 am
      people moaned about the EFL exit, now we're top of the league with a very relaxed January schedule wise, it's a good chance to recover our form and players.

Nothing wrong with our form, we just about lost to the most financially doped team in the world...
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #903: Jan 08, 2019 12:00:27 pm
      Nothing wrong with our form, we just about lost to the most financially doped team in the world...
      It's about time FA started introducing rules like UEFA has with FFP. If I were in charge I would dock 1 league point for every 10m over budget.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #904: Jan 08, 2019 12:02:39 pm
      I'd be amazed if Chelsea and Spurs don't field very strong teams tonight, I'd only expect 2 or 3 players rested in each side and even then they would be on the bench ready to be used if needed.

As we did under Klopp the two sesaons we played in the League Cup semifinal.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #905: Jan 08, 2019 12:05:10 pm
      Cup game vs Chelsea:

Mignolet
      Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Moreno
      Milner
      Fabinho
      Keita
      Shaqiri
      Sturridge
      Mane

4-3-3

Cup game vs Wolves:

Mignolet
      Moreno
      Fabinho
      Lovren
      Camacho
      Jones

Keita
      Milner
      Shaqiri
      Origi
      Sturridge

4-4-2

Not a lot of changes, but enough to make the difference.

Back 4 was pretty weak (especially after the Lovren injury) and a big difference from the Chelsea game. Fabinho, Camacho, and then Hoever coming in from basically the start of the match. Perhaps we would have made it through the match with Lovren there? Bit unlucky that.

Only difference in midfield was Jones instead of Fabinho. Then in attack, we missed the quality of Mane and went with Origi.

Significant difference was the formation, and I said it during the 1st half. The lads have not been playing a 4-4-2. I think it was a mistake by Klopp to make that change. Both Origi and Sturridge were dropping back in search for the ball. There wasn't a flow of the ball from midfield to attack.

Milner, Camacho, Shaqiri were all out of position for parts of the 1st half. There seemed to be a total lack of positioning from the players, and that made us open to attack, and sloppy in possession.

In hindsight, a 4-3-3- with Mane ahead of Origi would have worked better. Playing Jones also backfired. We ended up having Moreno and Jones as the attacking flair down the left side and I only remember seeing one decent opportunity which Jones himself created (with a great bit of play). But it wasn't enough ultimately.

Erm, I think you are forgetting another player's rather abysmal contribution to last night's starting XI....
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #906: Jan 08, 2019 12:13:52 pm
      Erm, I think you are forgetting another player's rather abysmal contribution to last night's starting XI....

Given the part you have highlighted in bold, I can see that you misunderstood.

I was merely comparing the two games. Against Chelsea, we played a forward 3 with Shaqiri, Sturridge, and Mane. I was suggesting that we should have played Mane, and Origi was the player that was 'different' in the attack last night compared with the Chelsea game. Sure, he could have played with Origi instead of Sturridge, but I tend to think Sturridge would have been better as the central Striker of the forward 3.

Nothing against Origi - and as you see, I didn't criticise anyone's abysmal performance in my post.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #907: Jan 08, 2019 12:16:35 pm

Had a night to think over this...

I have to mainly put the blame for this lost at Klopp's door... Why...?

Fri 21st Dec... We squeezed past Wolves, 0-2 fielding an almost complete starting 11 team (can argue over midfield) 

Alisson, Milner,Virgil van Dijk, Lovren, Robertson, Fabinho, Keita, Firmino, Henderson, Mané, Salah

That was one of our strongest teams and it was a hard fought 0-2...  Last night he makes nine changes to the starting line...? Nine  changes..?

Now apart from staying in the premier league what is Wolves only realistic gold...? The League cup... Out of that.
      The FA Cup. Wolves are  in 9th place in the table on 29 points, that's 13 point off 3rd from bottom...

What made Klopp think that nine changes against a Wolves side we fought hard to beat, and would be fully committed to try and win this cup tie would not field a near, or full strength team...? It is almost unfathomable to believe that Wolves would do other wise. This was poor Judgement on Jürgen's part...

Some may say that it means we could concentrate fully on the CL and Title but there are two reasons that I feel supporters should be upset with this... CL success is by no means guaranteed, (especially now that we could be playing the first leg with none of first team CB) THE other reason being in the League and FA cups we should be able to play one or three young players and a mixture of first team starters and those player on the bench... That is important for the squad as a whole, giving the youth first team experience and integrating them in to the starting squad. It is also important in the revenue and prestige department as well as a back door into European competition....

With the injury to Lovren (Hamstring) we are now looking at one centre back (VVD) fit to start vs. Brighton this weekend...
      Unless we bring in a CB (Buy or Loan) this could be where we start to lose the race for the Title as well as the final 16 CL draw...

Should we lose the title race because Klopp refused to buy/Loan a CB when one was clearly needed, for me, that would be a step too far and I could no longer support Klopp.

I have already written off the game against Bayern given our current predicament. There is absolutely no guarantee that Gomez or Matip will be back for this game, or even fit to start, or be on the bench... By then we could even be 3rd or 4th in the table. With what we have to lose it is, for me at least inconceivable that LFC and Klopp are not looking at bring in a CB
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #908: Jan 08, 2019 12:18:58 pm

Fri 21st Dec... We squeezed past Wolves, 0-2 fielding an almost complete starting 11 team (can argue over midfield) 

Alisson, Milner,Virgil van Dijk, Lovren, Robertson, Fabinho, Keita, Firmino, Henderson, Mané, Salah

That was one of our strongest teams and it was a hard fought 0-2...  Last night he makes nine changes to the starting line...? Nine  changes..?

Now apart from staying in the premier league what is Wolves only realistic gold...? The League cup... Out of that.
      The FA Cup. Wolves are  in 9th place in the table on 29 points, that's 13 point off 3rd from bottom...

What made Klopp think that nine changes against a Wolves side we fought hard to beat, and would be fully committed to try and win this cup tie would not field a near, or full strength team...? It is almost unfathomable to believe that Wolves would do other wise. This was poor Judgement on Jürgen's part...

Some may say that it means we could concentrate fully on the CL and Title but there are two reasons that I feel supporters should be upset with this... CL success is by no means guaranteed, (especially now that we could be playing the first leg with none of first team CB) THE other reason being in the League and FA cups we should be able to play one or three young players and a mixture of first team starters and those player on the bench... That is important for the squad as a whole, giving the youth first team experience and integrating them in to the starting squad. It is also important in the revenue and prestige department as well as a back door into European competition....

With the injury to Lovren (Hamstring) we are now looking at one centre back (VVD) fit to start vs. Brighton this weekend...
      Unless we bring in a CB (Buy or Loan) this could be where we start to lose the race for the Title as well as the final 16 CL draw...

Should we lose the title race because Klopp refused to buy/Loan a CB when one was clearly needed, for me, that would be a step too far and I could no longer support Klopp.

I have already written off the game against Bayern given our current predicament. There is absolutely no guarantee that Gomez or Matip will be back for this game, or even fit to start, or be on the bench... By then we could even be 3rd or 4th in the table. With what we have to lose it is, for me at least inconceivable that LFC and Klopp are not looking at bring in a CB

Klopp appears to base his thinking on what happens when everyone is fit which is slightly odd
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #909: Jan 08, 2019 12:21:40 pm

Like a broken record

You have had a night to think about it but then post the same stuff about a CB being bought

He said again last night he won’t be buying someone based on injuries when the players are returning soon - as he said “I will need to manage my squad to cover”

By constantly repeating the same thing adding in bold letters won’t change what he will do

Writing a game off 4/5 weeks away - pathetic
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #910: Jan 08, 2019 12:21:46 pm

Five games against mid table teams that are playing well, with one first team CB, I'm sure must people will feel relaxed come match day  :roll:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #911: Jan 08, 2019 12:23:02 pm
      Like a broken record

You have had a night to think about it but then post the same stuff about a CB being bought

He said again last night he won’t be buying someone based on injuries when the players are returning soon - as he said “I will need to manage my squad to cover”

By constantly repeating the same thing adding in bold letters won’t change what he will do

Haven't even read your post...
      Shoo Fly
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 01:00:29 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #912: Jan 08, 2019 12:23:05 pm
      Lallana knock.
      Henderson & VVD illness.

Shaqiri hitting the inside post, and the ball going out.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #913: Jan 08, 2019 12:25:22 pm
      Wolves had every reason the field their best 11, they are not competing for the league or participating in the champions league..So the extra competition works better for such clubs than those competing in European football..

If we had no champions league & were not competing for a top 4 or league title then I would expect our first strong 11...

German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #914: Jan 08, 2019 12:47:44 pm
      The real problem gets swept under the rug by everyone b*tching about Jürgens team selection: Keita cost 58 Mio. €, monster talent and still sucks. How? He played scared and shy yesterday. He regressed dramatically from his decent start of the season. I am worried. Fabinho on the other hand gets his act together, slowly but steadily. Right now he's on the same level with Hendo and Milner in my book....maybe will overtake them in a couple of weeks.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #915: Jan 08, 2019 12:53:04 pm
      I know it's no possible but if no one injure I think the line up could look like this :

Migs
            TAA      Lovren          Matip     Moreno

Hendo      Fabinho     
                                Lallana
             Shaq                                    Ox
                               Sturridge

This team more than capable to beat last night Wolves team.

That's why I think Klopp has no choice as he surely priority for the 19th.   

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #916: Jan 08, 2019 12:53:23 pm
      I'm quite frankly baffled at this silly talk of treble. We have to win a few leagues first to even consider the posibility of treble. People throwing a fit, as we needed only "six wins" to win a competition, need to give their head a wobble. We just had one of the best starts ever in the premier league, even over shadowing the great teams of 80's, that too by a large margin.

4 points gap at the top, no more stupid cup distractions. This is going to be f**king great for us.

84' team that won the treble had a team full of consistent winners. It's not like we came out of the smoke to win a f**king treble. We were fairly successful prior that year too. Keep your expectations in check FFS.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #917: Jan 08, 2019 12:59:49 pm

Oh F**k off you miserable git
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #918: Jan 08, 2019 01:05:29 pm

Too many fannies in the fan base mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #919: Jan 08, 2019 01:10:12 pm
      Wolves had every reason the field their best 11, they are not competing for the league or participating in the champions league..So the extra competition works better for such clubs than those competing in European football..

If we had no champions league & were not competing for a top 4 or league title then I would expect our first strong 11...

So you hope we never go for the FA cup then ;-)

Quick Reply