Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Brighton V Liverpool (12/01/19 - 15:00)

Read 10823 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Pre-Match: Brighton V Liverpool (12/01/19 - 15:00)
      Reply #92: Jan 10, 2019 07:51:41 pm
      Just imagine going in to this with the chance to go 13 points clear.

Ah where’s the fun in that, 7 will need to do.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #93: Jan 10, 2019 08:07:26 pm
      Chris Hughton will want to put one over on us. He's had a pop at Klopp in the past. He's a London lad and was a great full back for Spurs. A good manager. He side will be highly motivated and well organised. They're a respectable 13th in the league. So we will need to have our arses in gear. Sloppy defensive work or losing the ball cheaply is a no-no.

Obviously I think we should be able to kill them off but only if we go there with the right attitude. Every player must do his job and not leave it to others.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #94: Jan 10, 2019 08:15:35 pm
      Just imagine going in to this with the chance to go 13 points clear.

Ah where’s the fun in that, 7 will need to do.
      what a damp squib.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #95: Jan 10, 2019 08:50:31 pm
      Chris Hughton will want to put one over on us. He's had a pop at Klopp in the past. He's a London lad and was a great full back for Spurs. A good manager. He side will be highly motivated and well organised. They're a respectable 13th in the league. So we will need to have our arses in gear. Sloppy defensive work or losing the ball cheaply is a no-no.

Obviously I think we should be able to kill them off but only if we go there with the right attitude. Every player must do his job and not leave it to others.

he was very complimentary about Jürgen today.All we have to do on Saturday is be Liverpool and everything will take care of itself
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #96: Jan 10, 2019 10:34:11 pm
      We lose to city, a game, in my opinion, we should have won. Lady luck just didn’t shine on us.
      The wolves game, think Klopp threw that to concentrate on the Prem. No other explanation for me when you make 9 changes against a side we recently beat, but also had a taste of what they are capable of.
      Before these two games, did anyone really have any fear of us not beating Brighton ?
      Stranger things have happened in football I know, but for all intent and purposes, really !
      I don’t think our players will be unduly worried, due to the above.
      Full strength, full of confidence, by far the better side, full of anger and determination.
      0-3 to the Red Men !
      Fab at CB and Hendo to sit in, or possibly Keita.
      Back to business.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #97: Jan 10, 2019 11:57:11 pm
      Relax everybody.

We’ve got this.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #98: Jan 11, 2019 07:02:50 am
      We lose to city, a game, in my opinion, we should have won. Lady luck just didn’t shine on us.
      The wolves game, think Klopp threw that to concentrate on the Prem. No other explanation for me when you make 9 changes against a side we recently beat, but also had a taste of what they are capable of.
      Before these two games, did anyone really have any fear of us not beating Brighton ?
      Stranger things have happened in football I know, but for all intent and purposes, really !
      Full strength, full of confidence, by far the better side, full of anger and determination.
      0-3 to the Red Men !
      Fab at CB and Hendo to sit in, or possibly Keita.
      Back to business.

Confidence and momentum in football is massive though, it is in any sport.

Brighton away is a tough game no matter what form you're in but especially after two back to back losses. Despite the several changes in the last game I think our usual starting line up will still feel the pressure knowing all focus/hope has been put into the league now. Make no mistake, this game is huge for us. Three points here will be massive.

I'm expecting a tough game that we'll just edge by a goal. Either 1-0 or 2-1.

Hopefully I'll come on here tomorrow evening after we've won 5-0 giggling that I was worried over nothing.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #99: Jan 11, 2019 07:45:38 am
      But a player with his power and strength should be supporting the attack, getting at them from 10 or so yards from the box and take it on and support the front 3 better. He will cause no end of problems if he plays with more strength of purpose. He needs to get in there...and mean it.

Klopp should tell him to get higher, support the front 3. He tells Shaq to do that and Shaq plays with an urgency. He means it, he wants to get in there. Nabby needs to impose his strength on the fecking thing. He needs to be confident in his abilities and get out there and show it.

Does he have that much power and strength?

I’ve not seen it
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #100: Jan 11, 2019 08:39:07 am

I’ve not seen it

Nor I......yet.

He does strike me - at the moment - as one of those players for whom the weight of the jersey itself is taking a bit of getting used to.

Injuries clearly not helping.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #101: Jan 11, 2019 08:40:15 am

I’ve not seen it

I think Keita does, he is a superb player, strong and quick but just seems that tiny fraction to slow on the ball at the moment. I really think that all he needs is an extended run of games to find his feet and rhythm, I am not concerned about him at all. I would be playing him in the next 3-4 games, if he is still struggling at the end of that then we may well have an issue but I'm almost certain he would click into gear.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #102: Jan 11, 2019 09:02:21 am
      I think Keita does, he is a superb player, strong and quick but just seems that tiny fraction to slow on the ball at the moment. I really think that all he needs is an extended run of games to find his feet and rhythm, I am not concerned about him at all. I would be playing him in the next 3-4 games, if he is still struggling at the end of that then we may well have an issue but I'm almost certain he would click into gear.

Agree with this - he needs to be in the team for a stretch.

Short term pain long term gain
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #103: Jan 11, 2019 09:55:33 am

Your right, some players just take time to adjust to the pace of the prem, when you see a player like Keita who clearly has ability then you give him time.

I remember Petit and Viera years ago and look how they turned out, took them a season to adjust.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #104: Jan 11, 2019 10:20:14 am
      Agree with this - he needs to be in the team for a stretch.

Short term pain long term gain

I don't think you will find many who are not excited by what Naby could bring to our team. What we are probably agreed upon is the question why he hasn't shown us a lot more. Maybe it is game time needed and I guess his injury early on wouldn't have helped.
      Tomorrow would be the perfect game for him to really go at Brighton and build his confidence up
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #105: Jan 11, 2019 10:34:51 am

I’ve not seen it
      Was just thinking the same thing; he's small and lean, so power & strength aren't words that spring immediately to mind when describing Keita!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #106: Jan 11, 2019 10:35:27 am
      I don't think you will find many who are not excited by what Naby could bring to our team. What we are probably agreed upon is the question why he hasn't shown us a lot more. Maybe it is game time needed and I guess his injury early on wouldn't have helped.
      Tomorrow would be the perfect game for him to really go at Brighton and build his confidence up

We can use him more in the CL, he's comfortable there having played before, in the Epl i think he's still adjusting to the physicality and constant pace, he's also in a different role/position of that at Leipzig,  so of course that will have affected his confidence,  we have to take into account his living conditions,  new home, new city, new environment et al,
      He'll get there, he's just taking longer than others.
      Its cool, we'll see the best of him soon enough.

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #107: Jan 11, 2019 10:52:50 am

Back to business.

Confidence and momentum in football is massive though, it is in any sport.

Brighton away is a tough game no matter what form you're in but especially after two back to back losses. Despite the several changes in the last game I think our usual starting line up will still feel the pressure knowing all focus/hope has been put into the league now. Make no mistake, this game is huge for us. Three points here will be massive.

Tricky game.

Confidence and momentum ...agreed ...... very important.

Got to treat this as the start of a winning run through to May.

Lets do this !

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #108: Jan 11, 2019 12:02:04 pm
      Well this is a bit of a pain;

Jordan Henderson a doubt for Brighton match as Liverpool injuries mount up

Liverpool are concerned about the fitness of skipper Jordan Henderson for Saturday’s fixture at Brighton.

Henderson has a calf issue and will need a fitness test on Friday to establish if he can make the trip south, having suffered the injury on the eve of Liverpool’s FA Cup defeat to Wolves.

With several injury issues emerging over the last few weeks, Klopp’s squad is being stretched more than at any time during this season.

The Liverpool manager will be without Dejan Lovren for the game due to the hamstring problem he picked up in the early stages of the 2-1 loss, while Joel Matip is not likely to have recovered from a broken collarbone in time.

Matip is making progress in his recovery and, like Lovren, could be back to face Crystal Palace next weekend. Joe Gomez is missing until February due to a leg fracture sustained at Burnley last month.

That means another midfielder, Fabinho, is likely to continue as a makeshift centre-back as Liverpool seek to preserve their four point lead at the top of the Premier League. Fabinho played the role at Wolves alongside 16-year-old Ki-Jana Hoever.

If Fabinho plays in defence, Liverpool can ill afford Henderson to be absent as it will limit midfield options. Intriguingly, Henderson was pencilled in to to play centre-back alongside Fabinho in the FA Cup tie prior to his injury. His late withdrawal meant Lovren – who was due to be rested with Virgil Van Dijk – had to play. Liverpool paid the price after just five minutes of the tie.

James Milner, Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri are available, but Adam Lallana will also need to come through Friday’s training session unscathed to be involved. Lallana was also meant to start at Wolves prior to his late withdrawal.

Henderson and Lallana will try to complete a full training session on Friday. Liverpool travel to Brighton on Friday night.

Despite the injury issues, Klopp has made no plans to move into the transfer market as he anticipates having a full squad by the end of the month.

Liverpool’s only activity so far has involved outgoing loan deals and the £19 million sale of Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth.

Teenager Ben Woodburn, who has returned to Anfield after a disappointing loan spell at Sheffield United, will be allowed to move on again for the remainder of the season. Several championship clubs are showing interest in the young forward

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/10/jordan-henderson-doubt-brighton-match-liverpool-injuries-mount/

Personally I would have Shaqiri starting already further up the pitch, Lallana wasn’t fit enough for Monday, we’re getting hit with a few injuries now, I wouldn’t risk him or Henderson unless they absolutely need to, so it’s between Keita and Milner and personally I would lean toward Keita.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #109: Jan 11, 2019 12:20:16 pm
      Even with the injuries the first XI we can put out is very strong comparatively

The bench may be weak, but we can't buy backup bench players for when we have injuries... that's for the u23's/U21's
      rossyred

• 9,095 posts | 1635 
      Reply #110: Jan 11, 2019 12:43:28 pm
      At least Matip back for Palace game think tomorrow to soon. Henderson only just training today so may also struggle which leaves us a little short.  Would go Gini , Milner and Keita
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #111: Jan 11, 2019 12:49:26 pm
      I'm not to bothered about Henderson's injury, I'd actually quite like to see a midfield three of Gini, Keita and Shaq, it'll certainly cause Brighton problems going forwards although we might be a bit more exposed in defence.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #112: Jan 11, 2019 01:21:20 pm
      3-1 Salah, Mane & Big Shaq

BOOM!!!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #113: Jan 11, 2019 05:54:49 pm
      If Hendo is injured and Fab is at CB, that's not ideal - bit short in the middle.
      But would hope to still have enough for Brighton.

LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #114: Jan 11, 2019 07:21:51 pm
      Quite nervous about this game, chance to move seven clear again from City but Brighton are no mugs, add the fact that we've lost two in a row and the tension is running high!

Quick Reply