Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Quota System, only 6 foreign players - who would you keep and who would you sell

Read 14492 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Quota System, only 6 foreign players - who would you keep and who would you sell
      Reply #69: Jun 01, 2008 12:00:05 am
      Can someone please try to explain to me the benefits Blatter have seen in such system being adopted.  Because for the life of me I just can't see any significant positives when measuring them with the negatives.  As he is in the hot seat for the global game.  And if it does help England, Spain, Italy and Germany it so apparent that it will pretty much destroy about 10 times as many country's hopes.  How has he convinced such a portion of the FIFA panel.

I feel you there kenny. This is a setback to the beautiful game of football. I doubt this issue was thought through.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Quota System, only 6 foreign players - who would you keep and who would you sell
      Reply #70: Jun 01, 2008 03:26:22 am
      Can someone please try to explain to me the benefits Blatter have seen in such system being adopted.  Because for the life of me I just can't see any significant positives when measuring them with the negatives.  As he is in the hot seat for the global game.  And if it does help England, Spain, Italy and Germany it so apparent that it will pretty much destroy about 10 times as many country's hopes.  How has he convinced such a portion of the FIFA panel.

The whole reason for this is to try and stop the big clubs becoming so strong that international football will play second fiddle to it. We see now the quality of football and the appeal of club football is IMO better than international play and Seth doesn't like.

I can see your point and I often why no where questions about how this can hurt players who come from really odd places trying to make it big in a big league thus increasing the game in his nation which will grow the game in odd places. They feel that by having the best players playing in their own domestic league rather than going to other nations it will increase the game and such (this what a read).

I don't think you will see this rule in but I think there will be some form of restriction of players in the future, if that is dealing with non-EU players or something but I can see something being done.
      albertdock
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #71: Jun 01, 2008 08:04:13 am
      Legally it can't happen, the right of EU citizens to have freedom of movement and employment throughout the EU, is not enshrined in some changeable employment law, but written into the EU treaty.
      Personally I can't see the amending the EU treaty because Seb would like them to. Therefore UEFA would be leaving themselves open to an immediate legal challenge from one of the larger clubs.
      It's all a load of bollocks from the Frenchman, dead in the water.
      Great headline grabber though, especially when the president of a prestigious organisation is devoid of any meaningful policies, planning or strategy.
      Pompous tosser
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #72: Jun 03, 2008 04:52:55 pm
      Legally it can't happen, the right of EU citizens to have freedom of movement and employment throughout the EU, is not enshrined in some changeable employment law, but written into the EU treaty.
      Personally I can't see the amending the EU treaty because Seb would like them to. Therefore UEFA would be leaving themselves open to an immediate legal challenge from one of the larger clubs.
      Great headline grabber though, especially when the president of a prestigious organisation is devoid of any meaningful policies, planning or strategy.
      Pompous tosser

Good post, it's what I've been saying all along, but I'm now not entirely convinced that such a deal can't be forced through. By defining it as having to have at least 6 English players instead of limiting the number of foreigners may well be in fact legal and thus perfectly enforcable and the EU can't do a thing about it. I seriously hope that point gets debated and brought down, as this rule is preposterous and shouldn't be put in place.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Quota System, only 6 foreign players - who would you keep and who would you
      Reply #73: Jun 15, 2008 07:08:25 pm
      I'm convinced that Rafa is in favour of this rule.  Convinced.

Linked with Milner, Barry, Bentley, Johnson.  And probably why he wanted Aaron Ramsey as well.  In my honest opinion I think this is would be Rafa's biggest masterplan on assaulting the Premier League quicker.

And I don't want to warm to this idea but Rafa is a F***ing clever sod.

David Bentley - £12m
      Gareth Barry - £15m
      Michael Johnson - £8m
      James Milner - £7m
      Stewart Downing - £12m

The questionable players there is James Milner & Stewart Downing.  They have both shown glimpses of what they can do but they're still young.  And can still improve.  Maybe Milner more so.  But a name I would love to throw in there would be Ashley Young, but Villa won't sell him to us for a low price.

The players that I would keep.

1) Pepe Reina
      2) Daniel Agger
      3) Javier Mascherano
      4) Ryan Babel
      5) Fernando Torres
      6) David Villa (if he comes to us)

It would make us probably one of the favourites to win the League.  Teams like Arsenal would fall to pieces if they don't sign quality players.  That's why Rafa is going for them now, and making a massive gamble.  Otherwise next season this rule could nearly be in place.  Causing a massive 'fight it out and throw your money about' traffic in the Transfer Market.

As for other teams in the League with some good young talented players from the UK they would stand a much better chance season in, season out.  And you would see some other teams come through from the Championship, or League One.

It's just a massive thought.  But it's been on my mind the past few weeks and I haven't been able to know how to express it.  Until now.
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2008 07:34:09 pm by Court LFC »
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #74: Jun 16, 2008 07:08:35 pm
      I'm convinced that Rafa is in favour of this rule.  Convinced.

Linked with Milner, Barry, Bentley, Johnson.  And probably why he wanted Aaron Ramsey as well.  In my honest opinion I think this is would be Rafa's biggest masterplan on assaulting the Premier League quicker.

And I don't want to warm to this idea but Rafa is a F***ing clever sod.

David Bentley - £12m
      Gareth Barry - £15m
      Michael Johnson - £8m
      James Milner - £7m
      Stewart Downing - £12m

The questionable players there is James Milner & Stewart Downing.  They have both shown glimpses of what they can do but they're still young.  And can still improve.  Maybe Milner more so.  But a name I would love to throw in there would be Ashley Young, but Villa won't sell him to us for a low price.

The players that I would keep.

1) Pepe Reina
      2) Daniel Agger
      3) Javier Mascherano
      4) Ryan Babel
      5) Fernando Torres
      6) David Villa (if he comes to us)

It would make us probably one of the favourites to win the League.  Teams like Arsenal would fall to pieces if they don't sign quality players.  That's why Rafa is going for them now, and making a massive gamble.  Otherwise next season this rule could nearly be in place.  Causing a massive 'fight it out and throw your money about' traffic in the Transfer Market.

As for other teams in the League with some good young talented players from the UK they would stand a much better chance season in, season out.  And you would see some other teams come through from the Championship, or League One.

It's just a massive thought.  But it's been on my mind the past few weeks and I haven't been able to know how to express it.  Until now.
      You might just be right Court, think when in previous transfer windows gone for English players, in fact when has he even gone shopping in the PL, hardly ever, but if this rule goes through then we would be in a brilliant position to assault the title. So if we get all these players then it could actually work in our favour if this rule GOES through, altough I'm against it myself, if we got these players it would certainly make it better for us if it were to happen.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #75: Jun 16, 2008 09:35:24 pm
      Pompous tosser

Good post, this cant and will not happen, the silly little frenchman would have every EU government on his back.
      So there is no point making lists, it will never happen.
      But as albertdock says, good for the headlines, its just bull sh*t.

Quick Reply