Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
       Fabinho
      36 (28.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (13.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      20 (16%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (4.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2.4%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      33 (26.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Voting closed: Jan 16, 2019 04:52:05 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34036 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Jan 12, 2019 05:06:00 pm
      Great win against  a difficult  park the bus side
      YNWA
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,241 posts | 3495 
      Reply #415: Jan 12, 2019 05:06:10 pm
      He really needs to pick up speed. It is 1/2 way into the season and he's still trying to get use. How long more??? I nearly fell of my chair when he lost possession near to our box. Had Brighton been sharper we would be in deep sh*t.

Why are fans so lacking in patience these days ? The club has bought Keita for the years ahead not the months - he is just struggling to settle into the Prem - he has had a few niggling injuries and his confidence is prob a bit down - his quality will shine through , maybe the fans need to give him that time
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,241 posts | 3495 
      Reply #416: Jan 12, 2019 05:07:33 pm
      Methodical win, but 0-1 is always tricky.

Keita looks lost, his mistake gave Brighton its best chance. I am borderline to call him a bust. Fab looks better with every game. Somehow we lost our swagger from December, it looked awfully uncreative (again) on midfield & offense. But I hope Jürgen can get them back on track. 7 points again to City, keep the pressure on them, the Wolves are able to upset them.

You are the worst type of fan you can see these days - fickle and knee jerk and of course utterly clueless
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #417: Jan 12, 2019 05:07:45 pm
      Three in the bag wasn’t pretty but doesn’t matter at this stage , all that counts happy night folks
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 184 
      Reply #418: Jan 12, 2019 05:08:55 pm
      so who is the best? There were only 2 teams in that. It's funny when people try to correct people but in fact talk rubbish...

When there is only a choice of two, as in an individual football match, only the comparative better should be used.

I assume English is not your first language.

You're welcome.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #419: Jan 12, 2019 05:09:24 pm
      He really needs to pick up speed. It is 1/2 way into the season and he's still trying to get use. How long more??? I nearly fell of my chair when he lost possession near to our box. Had Brighton been sharper we would be in deep sh*t.
      At time he tries to take on to much and when he takes on defenders he too often runs down blind allies taking on more defenders than he can handle
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #420: Jan 12, 2019 05:11:48 pm
      Why are fans so lacking in patience these days ? The club has bought Keita for the years ahead not the months - he is just struggling to settle into the Prem - he has had a few niggling injuries and his confidence is prob a bit down - his quality will shine through , maybe the fans need to give him that time

Very true. As Danzel noted, he has lost that steel that made him a bit of a red card nightmare. New club, new country, a whole different level above Lepizig and he's surrounded by team mates many of whom have a fixated obsession on redeeming themselves after the Champions League Final loss last season. It's a very difficult environment, even a little intimidating, and becomes even more difficult when you get injured as he has done. But all it will take is one good performance, a great goal or something for him to discover his place in the squad.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #421: Jan 12, 2019 05:12:41 pm
      IN fairness to Keita, its not easy when you are thrown into a game like that in the last few minutes with the home team pressing like Brighton did. Lets give Keita a proper sequence of games before we write him off, plenty of others made sloppy passes today as well, in fact it was a bit of a sloppy performance all round, but we did more than enough to deserve the 3 points.
      Keita needs to sometime look up, and play the simple ball...
      Did not think we did a great deal, but then again neither did Brighton in the right areas
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #422: Jan 12, 2019 05:12:58 pm
      Calm. Composed. Champions-elect.

Get in.

Is right Mags.

Proper away performance when under a wee bit of external pressure.

Absolutely bossed that game from beginning to end - not free-flowing but the sort of game in years gone by (including last) when we could’ve ended up in a wild shoot out.

Instead we played patient football and didn’t give them a chance they didn’t really have on their own merits......

Mo my MOTM - not so much for the pen as for the hunger and willing he showed.
      rossyred

• 9,315 posts | 1672 
      Reply #423: Jan 12, 2019 05:13:27 pm
      VVD imperious as ever the way he  carries the ball out and never looks out of 3rd gear
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #424: Jan 12, 2019 05:15:22 pm
      He was foolish to concede possession by assuming a foul. Klopp should have just left it as it was, 1 minute of normal time to go.

Seven points clear.

Absolutely so. I began to sit upright when keita came on and lost my balance when he lost possession. It was a big big gamble by klopp and luckily it never cost us. As a whole, the defence did very very well and I'm not ashame to say Hendo did very well too and so did Ginny. Plenty of improvement needed for the front three. Final passes were everywhere except the target.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #425: Jan 12, 2019 05:15:51 pm

He’s quality - he will come good.

It’s just difficult to work out how to get him into the team at the moment......though I have to be honest I don’t really fancy Shaq in the setup like today.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,758 posts | 863 
      Reply #426: Jan 12, 2019 05:16:57 pm
      Huge win but a few annoyances in there for me. 1 was Keitas touch and another was Salah channelling his inner Berbatov. This really does matter Mo so get your knee over the ball and bury it. Not arsed about missed chances but do the basics.

No doubt he won us the game when he had a more free role in the second half though. It's criminal a player of his ability stands in the box looking for tap ins. When he picks it up deeper and travels with it he opens up the game for us, and he will also have more chances from 1-2s like that than waiting for  a ball to get to him from wide.
      I agree with that. I was waiting for him to be given the green light to do so against City because he was held so tightly by the back line (despite playing more on the wing), but it never came.

I'm okay with him being used to spearhead the frontline because, as we saw, it works, but he should be given that freedom much more often...especially in the big games where you'll typically see him being squished between two CB's and a fullback for most of the game.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #427: Jan 12, 2019 05:17:29 pm
      Just wait until I pull up all your posts earlier on in the season going 'Keita - WOW' and screaming like the big pathetic manchild that you are about why Klopp wasn't playing him.

It's called LEARNING. At the beginning of the season Keita looked good and Klopp was wrong not to give him more time to flourish and get confident, but then Keita regressed and now he's a disaster to happen. He looks lost and scared, like a deer in headlights. When Klopp told people Keita needs time because he's "shy and introverted and only hangs around with Mané" it triggered my alarm clocks because if Klopp tells such stuff it's really bad or he wouldn't just talk about it. I can see Keita being unhappy and isolated in Liverpool. Had the same sh*t back then in Dortmund with Insigne who didn't connect to the team. It's a shame because he cost 60 Mio. and got talent, but it looks meh right now. And when Ox comes back in a month and clicks Keita will be of no use. I hope I'm wrong and he's like the very slow version of Ox or Robertson playing themselves into the team.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #428: Jan 12, 2019 05:17:39 pm
      It was gritty win, Brighton tough side at home but our defending was solid and Salah made the difference with nice play on Gross get the PK. Defended well as a unit not giving a whole lot away in the term of chances, Fabinho did a good job filling in though hope we are not forced to that too much over the rest of the season. It seem like from 45-60 mark we up the intensity and giving Salah freedom caused issues.

All we wanted was 3 points and clean sheet which we got so build on this and move on to Palace next week.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #429: Jan 12, 2019 05:18:06 pm
      At least we proved we can win a scrappy away game, this could have been a banana skin, I think they’ve scored at least one goal at home all season.
      Virgil is a monster, he will drag them all kicking and screaming over the line! Worth every penny we paid for him.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #430: Jan 12, 2019 05:21:36 pm
      IN fairness to Keita, its not easy when you are thrown into a game like that in the last few minutes with the home team pressing like Brighton did. Lets give Keita a proper sequence of games before we write him off, plenty of others made sloppy passes today as well, in fact it was a bit of a sloppy performance all round, but we did more than enough to deserve the 3 points.

Yes, i would totally agreed it was a sloppy game by us and we scrapped through. Some here may have misinterpreted that I was not happy that we won. Far from it, it's the way that we won that caused me to lose a fair bit of fingernails. No cohesion between the front three, each trying too eager to score and too casual at times. The back four has been fantastic today.
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2019 05:26:18 pm by redkop63 »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #431: Jan 12, 2019 05:22:51 pm
      Just imagine when we do get the very best from NAby and Fab which will happen sooner or later. we have played 9 of the non top 6 teams...….won 9 how many times have we said we keep losing points to avg teams. lost only 3 ay Home now Brighton so no mugs but we have not only players with a level of quality but they also have pride in the shirt....
      See that Studge wasn't on the bench today.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #432: Jan 12, 2019 05:23:17 pm
      Didn't see the game, and only tuned into the radio when it was in injury time and the guy was talking about how it's not gonna be someone's day, so after a few seconds was already on starting to pull hair out.
      Until he said we were 1-0 up :)
      FUCCKK MEE, so relieved to get out of there with 3 points.
      Tough place to go, they organise well at home.

We've seen the best teams over the years grind out wins in tough places on days when it looks like it's not going to happen - but it's been a long time since I've seen *us* do it. More than the days where we go out an whack teams 4 and 5 - *these* are the results, and the days, were you look back and think 'F**k, we did well to dig those points out'. The Everton win comes to mind too. We've come off the back of a defeat to the Champions, and getting knocked out of the Cup - but we did what had to be done today. THAT is what gives me hope that we can do it this year.

Well done Jürgen. Well done lads :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #433: Jan 12, 2019 05:23:54 pm
      Shaqiri missed a very good chance with that header.
      Firmino just not getting at the end of that ball in the first half.
      Mane with a good chance that he fluffed with his left foot.
      Salah missing an absolute sitter.
      Firmino getting into a very good shooting position and shooting it straight at the goalkeeper.

Yes, a moment of magic from Salah decided it, but we created plenty of chances to score one or two other than that.

I watched him occasionally for RB Leipzig, mate. I know how good he was or rather can be, but he hasn't shown anything near the quality he showed for RB Leipzig yet for us. He was good against Palace, Spurs and for that half against Burnley. Other than that he has been pretty bang average and is being pushed off the ball far too easily. He seems to have lost that steel he showed for RB Leipzig where he picked up the occasional red card. It's very likely a confidence issue, but on current form, he shouldn't be near the starting eleven in my opinion. Show what you can when given the time as a substitute and fight your way into the team. He is not doing that at the moment.

All in all, a very mature game against a team with the best defensive record bar the top six teams and it showed. They defended superbly well.

Either Robertson or Firmino my MOTM.

Of course we deserved to win but you are talking about half chances, the only big chance we created was the Salah miss.

I thought Fabinho in midfield was sorely missed but obviously he was needed as a CB.

3 pts is all that matters.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #434: Jan 12, 2019 05:24:43 pm
      One of the big positives in this game is Hendo making those Stevie's passes and many were quality passes today.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #435: Jan 12, 2019 05:24:50 pm
      I'll take fifteen more of these narrow wins and take the damage it'll do to my blood pressure and old ticker.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #436: Jan 12, 2019 05:24:56 pm
      Average performance, but vital win. Puts us back on track, and pressure back on City.

Mo was very good second half. Bobby had a good game. Thought Gini did as well.

Can see why Jürgen is still wary of Keita - he gave the ball away in midfield twice after he came on, starting a couple of their attacks. Still think he'll be a good signing long term, but still off the pace. It's a tricky balancing act for Jürgen - got to give him enough game time to acclimatise, without it costing us.

Thought the defence did ok today. Fab was a mixed bag there - very composed, couple of good blocks, good passing, but left Murray unmarked twice. To be expected since he's not a CB, so overall he did pretty well, but I'm glad to see Matip on his way back.

Good to see Trent's injury didn't seem too bad.

Wasn't an easy game that - Brighton did well, and kept it close, so it's a good hard won 3 points in the end.

Quick Reply