Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
       Fabinho
      36 (28.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (13.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      20 (16%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (4.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2.4%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      33 (26.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Voting closed: Jan 16, 2019 04:52:05 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32473 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Jan 13, 2019 11:26:15 am
      We’re better defensively now for sure and that’s the reason we are top of the league. We’ve scored the 2nd most amount of goals this season, 50, Man City have scored 56. I don’t see a problem?
      That maybe, not really sure I would say it was the only reason, but with the front three not really firing 100% the boost to the defensive side of the play is needed...

But imagine were we could be "IF" we had the defensive side of this season and the attacking side of last season...? Still in all competitions, and maybe  not just unbeaten, but  a 100% win record...? I know not likely but not impossible...

I also have to wonder if going more defensive is what has taken the toll on our attacking potency. The front three having to play thier game at a slower pace due to the slower build up in play...?

I am happy with were we are, but I am also aware that we need to be doing more to stay there...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #553: Jan 13, 2019 11:30:57 am
      We’re better defensively now for sure and that’s the reason we are top of the league. We’ve scored the 2nd most amount of goals this season, 50, Man City have scored 56. I don’t see a problem?

There is no problem only for those seeking one.

Klopp has really surprised me over the last 12 months. I was worried he would never move away from his heavy metal football style, which while wonderful to watch in the games we destroyed opposition, was unsustainable over the course of a full season.

I love Klopps new more conservative style, we have much more control in games now and dictate the pace against most opponents. We know we have enough up front to open up teams and score in every game. But more importantly we can keep a balance of play to ensure we are never caught on the break. The only team to stretch us this season is City.

The best teams always played this way. Keeping goals out is every bit as important as banging them in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #554: Jan 13, 2019 11:34:48 am
      Yes It is acceptable to win that way, but what I am say is that we are creating too little in the way of real opportunities and chances. Does that not concern you...?

Shaqiri header just wide in the first half, Mane blasting a shot in the second half with his left foot after Salah put him through, only to be deflected wide by the defender getting a touch to block it, Salah missing a sitter in the 89th minute. That’s 3 chances straight away that on another day, most likely find the net.

If we go onto win the league, you think we will look back and say we were lucky to win the league because we beat Brighton 1-0 thanks to a penalty, in a game we had full control of from start to finish? Not a chance.
      You think City wouldn’t have loved this type of result vs Leicester and Palace? Of course they would because the 3 points is what matters more than anything else. You can’t play perfect every week.

Brighton have scored in every home game his season and have been solid, yet they never looked like scoring against us. This is the type of result teams wanting to win the league manage to grind out.
      Winning 1-0 or 10-0 is irrelevant for how the table is, you still only get 3 points.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #555: Jan 13, 2019 11:55:33 am
      Shaqiri header just wide in the first half, Mane blasting a shot in the second half with his left foot after Salah put him through, only to be deflected wide by the defender getting a touch to block it, Salah missing a sitter in the 89th minute. That’s 3 chances straight away that on another day, most likely find the net.

If we go onto win the league, you think we will look back and say we were lucky to win the league because we beat Brighton 1-0 thanks to a penalty, in a game we had full control of from start to finish? Not a chance.
      You think City wouldn’t have loved this type of result vs Leicester and Palace? Of course they would because the 3 points is what matters more than anything else. You can’t play perfect every week.

Brighton have scored in every home game his season and have been solid, yet they never looked like scoring against us. This is the type of result teams wanting to win the league manage to grind out.
      Winning 1-0 or 10-0 is irrelevant for how the table is, you still only get 3 points.

Robbo’s cross missed by Mane and Bobby.......
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #556: Jan 13, 2019 11:56:36 am
      Yes It is acceptable to win that way, but what I am say is that we are creating too little in the way of real opportunities and chances. Does that not concern you...?

Brighton had zero shots on target, the best score you could get with that statistic is a 0-0 draw.

If I were a supporter of Brighton I be concerned about that, we had 3 shots on target, not great, but from of those 3 shots we managed to score.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #557: Jan 13, 2019 12:46:17 pm
      The team is balanced, we ain’t going gun ho on one end and then leak like the titanic on the other end, That’s why we are sitting top of the table...

I’d rather we grind results in the league which could lead to our first title in over 20 decades than out score treams and ah e noth8ng to show for it..

When the times right, we shall change gear & pick it up, when it’s not right we shall grind them out, that what champions do.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #558: Jan 13, 2019 01:04:07 pm
      That's my point take away the penalty and we failed to take any of the few we had

Scoring a penalty is converting a chance. Anyway, we could just go round in circles here - like many have said, you WON'T cruise through every game on the way to a title - there are games when you have to dig out results - and that's what we did yesterday. It's what any team seriously challenging for a title need to do.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #559: Jan 13, 2019 01:06:49 pm
      After 22 games last year we had a goal difference of 25 and we were 18 points off City so we might have been scoring more but we were certainly leaking a lot too. I’ll take the 1-0’s over the 4-3’s ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #560: Jan 13, 2019 01:09:19 pm
      I thought we created quite a few clear goal scoring opportunities?

We did.

The usual wum brigade is trying to re-write history to suit their agenda.

Again.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #561: Jan 13, 2019 01:10:04 pm
      You can’t play perfect every week.

Try to explain that to some
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #562: Jan 13, 2019 01:14:23 pm
      Watched it again earlier, and we were in complete control.

It's rarely pretty when a team plays such a packed defense, and are so well organised, and that was the case yesterday.

Even then, we carved out really good, clear chances.

I wouldn't argue with Klopp calling it our most mature performance.
      It was the performance of a confident team, in complete control.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #563: Jan 13, 2019 01:58:09 pm

The big difference between us and Citeh is our superior defence and I think that is where we will win the league.

Agreed.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #564: Jan 13, 2019 02:35:57 pm
      sometimes teams just have to grind results out like yesterday. Three points nearer winning the Premiership, will do nicely for me.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #565: Jan 13, 2019 03:52:00 pm
      But took a penalty to score, Not good enough

As we got three points it’s clearly good enough
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #566: Jan 13, 2019 04:04:20 pm

We have made fewer chances than last season, and those chance we have made we have been more wasteful with... The season is not going to get any easier. Team are showing us a lot of respect at present. Wait until there is ten or less games to go, and relegation is chewing at thier butts, Do you think then that teams will be showing us the same respect, or trying to get the points that they need to stay up...?

In our remaining games we face from 6th place to 20th (Excluding, Brighton,Played, Chelsea and Spurs) Utd are having a resurgence at present and are quite capable of taking points off of us, as is Spurs and Chelsea. So I don't want us playing the type of football we are at present, I want us to be at our lethal best
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #567: Jan 13, 2019 04:10:05 pm
      Brighton had zero shots on target, the best score you could get with that statistic is a 0-0 draw.

If I were a supporter of Brighton I be concerned about that, we had 3 shots on target, not great, but from of those 3 shots we managed to score.

We scored from a penalty...

We need to be doing better

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #568: Jan 13, 2019 04:12:01 pm
      As we got three points it’s clearly good enough

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #569: Jan 13, 2019 04:30:40 pm
      This is a good Brighton side, the best home record outside the top 6. Three points was required and that's what we got. No team has beaten Brighton at home, in the league, by more than a solitary goal. Tough place to win at, I'll take the narrow margin,  knowing it was good enough against a well drilled,  organised team.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #570: Jan 13, 2019 04:36:28 pm
      This is a good Brighton side, the best home record outside the top 6. Three points was required and that's what we got. No team has beaten Brighton at home, in the league, by more than a solitary goal. Tough place to win at, I'll take the narrow margin,  knowing it was good enough against a well drilled,  organised team.

Yep spot on - suspect people don’t really understand what they are like at home

We created a number of chances and were clearly on top - it’s all about getting the three points.

We won and we deserved to win
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #571: Jan 13, 2019 04:50:21 pm
      We scored from a penalty...

We need to be doing better

We're TOP of the League FFS, we can't go any higher.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #572: Jan 13, 2019 04:58:06 pm
      We're TOP of the League FFS, we can't go any higher.
      Not talking about getting higher, talking about playing better... What so wrong in wanting that...?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #573: Jan 13, 2019 05:03:07 pm
      Not talking about getting higher, talking about playing better... What so wrong in wanting that...?

Just be glad what we have, and where we are at the moment, we have been craving to be in this situation for years, and you want more.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #574: Jan 13, 2019 05:12:25 pm

Because its a slightly weird neghead view. Brighton are very good at home, we dominated the match creating several good chances and winning the game, it's all good, enjoy.

Quick Reply