Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W4 D7 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
       Fabinho
      36 (28.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (13.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      20 (16%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (4.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2.4%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      33 (26.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: Jan 16, 2019 04:52:05 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 4809 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,586 posts | 831 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #660: Jan 15, 2019 06:30:54 pm
      Yeah,Luke was not just a good poster but a good person too, hope he’s safe & well....
      Me too... Tried leaving him a PM just to see how was doing, Got not reply  :(
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,586 posts | 831 
      Reply #661: Jan 15, 2019 06:40:58 pm
      We have the same number of goals as last season after 22 league games - 50. Just saying like, if people are thinking last season we were much more of a goal threat compared to this season.

We are 15 better on goal conceded though - 10 compared to 25 in last season after 22 matches.

Yes, I understand what people are say, and yes it is nice to be, But what I am say is given we had a high press and all, a much sharper (speed wise) attack, given now that we have a better CB pairing,  a Top quality GK and a quality Midfielder Fab', Given all that it  purely down to the change in style or more in apart to the change in players, and if it is down to those players should we go back to the high pressing style we played last season next season...? Be madness to change it now
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,087 posts | 127 
      Reply #662: Jan 15, 2019 10:41:43 pm
      No I think more of the lesser sides would take risks especially at 0-0.  Which would give us much more space.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 632 posts | 49 
      Reply #663: Jan 15, 2019 11:07:50 pm
      I have never coached, only played, so when you see on the pitch that something is not right, how do you change it as a player without 'upsetting'  the system, and the coaches wrath. I respect your answer, as you have coached for so long. but do the players stick to the tactics, or try to modify, if you will?. Obviously. I was a defender

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,982 posts | 2158 
      Reply #664: Jan 16, 2019 07:51:38 am
      Depends what you see mate for me. I was coaching kids so I always encouraged them to problem solve on the pitch.......so long as your right back doesn’t decide to play left wing etc etc.

Understanding your re-set shape is essential for kids but it’s not (or with me it wasn’t) absolutely rigid - it was a guide. In defensive terms it’s essential that you speak / think as a set - sometimes fb needs to tuck in, sometimes the cb needs to drift over and sometimes the midfield can drop in.

Also make the coach aware in case he / they haven’t picked up on it yet.

Sometimes it’s the setup, sometimes it’s someone not understanding the role, sometimes it’s the opponent.

It’s all fluid and - to me now - I watch that much more than just the ball.

On Saturday for example - I personally think we played as better than we did against Newcastle few weeks back but we won 4-0.........the difference was an early goal in each half........

Not sure I totally got your Q but hope that helps :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,187 posts | 1115 
      Reply #665: Jan 16, 2019 09:07:46 am
      Yes, I understand what people are say, and yes it is nice to be, But what I am say is given we had a high press and all, a much sharper (speed wise) attack, given now that we have a better CB pairing,  a Top quality GK and a quality Midfielder Fab', Given all that it  purely down to the change in style or more in apart to the change in players, and if it is down to those players should we go back to the high pressing style we played last season next season...? Be madness to change it now

It feels to me like we pick and choose moments (and sometimes games) for the high press approach this season where as in previous years that was very much the approach in every (or at least the vast majority) of games. Klopp hasn't really spoken on the subject but I suspect he looked at the length of the season, the physical nature of the league, the build up of games over Christmas and the injuries we were experiencing and then made some adjustments to the playing style as a result. The result is that we are little less gung ho ion style both with and without the ball. It would not surprise me (particularly if we don't get past Bayern) to see the gung ho (and relentless pressing) return for the run in given we could be playing one game a week over April and May. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,730 posts | 1954 
      Reply #666: Jan 16, 2019 11:57:57 am
      It feels to me like we pick and choose moments (and sometimes games) for the high press approach this season where as in previous years that was very much the approach in every (or at least the vast majority) of games. Klopp hasn't really spoken on the subject but I suspect he looked at the length of the season, the physical nature of the league, the build up of games over Christmas and the injuries we were experiencing and then made some adjustments to the playing style as a result. The result is that we are little less gung ho ion style both with and without the ball. It would not surprise me (particularly if we don't get past Bayern) to see the gung ho (and relentless pressing) return for the run in given we could be playing one game a week over April and May.

Saw an interview a while back where he said we still press, just in different area's, because teams had adapted to us.

He also mentioned that this was part of making the team more balanced between attack and defense.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,982 posts | 2158 
      Reply #667: Jan 16, 2019 12:22:18 pm

Saw an interview a while back where he said we still press, just in different area's, because teams had adapted to us.

He also mentioned that this was part of making the team more balanced between attack and defense.

Yup.

It’s as clear as Pinocchio’s nose when Gepeto sees the “nightly service” item on his cable bill.......
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,042 posts | 2663 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #668: Jan 18, 2019 12:18:11 am
      4th 1-0 win of the Season. Stuff of Champions!!!

I'll take another 15    1-0's thanks!! 
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,586 posts | 831 
      Reply #669: Jan 19, 2019 02:22:54 pm
      No problem at all if the person in question buys into the values and traditions of the club.

Too many don't, and are dismissive and even disdainful of those values.
      That's the problem.

Nope, that just sound like an excuse to continue the bullying, insults and abuse to me.

You so often find that the bullies followers are worse than the bully because they are trying so hard to impress said bully that they often more abusive than the main bully themselves...

It also destorys any creditable point you may try to make, because it then becomes about the attack on the person rather than the point being made or disagreed with...

Attack the opinion rather than the person making it
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,730 posts | 1954 
      Reply #670: Jan 19, 2019 02:25:56 pm
      Nope, that just sound like an excuse to continue the bullying, insults and abuse to me.

You so often find that the bullies followers are worse than the bully because they are trying so hard to impress said bully that they often more abusive than the main bully themselves...

It also destorys any creditable point you may try to make, because it then becomes about the attack on the person rather than the point being made or disagreed with...

Attack the opinion rather than the person making it

It's an internet forum precious.
      If you require a safe space, I suggest you look elsewhere.

If people don't respect the values and traditions of LFC, then they should f**k off elsewhere, end of story.

Quick Reply