Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
       Fabinho
      36 (28.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (13.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      20 (16%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (4.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2.4%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      33 (26.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Voting closed: Jan 16, 2019 04:52:05 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31897 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Jan 13, 2019 12:48:49 am
      That is the thing we  want us to be 10 points ahead and strolling but major medals don't come that easy. we are top of the pile which is the most important thing.  We have a defence that is a huge asset and as long as we can field VVD and Alisson we are very hard team to beat.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #530: Jan 13, 2019 01:23:44 am
      But took a penalty to score, Not good enough

It was good enough though. We won.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #531: Jan 13, 2019 01:26:33 am
      No, not by definition.
      Good enough to win, yes.
      Good enough to strike fear into our opponents? no.

The measuring stick has too much ambiguity to define what the goal was for good enough.

Good enough is often a perspective.

Being good enough to win on the day is all that matters surely? Massive win today. Teams that win titles grind out ugly 1 nils. This team can do that.

Defensively we are so sound. Doesent get anywhere near the credit it deserves from the majority.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #532: Jan 13, 2019 01:26:58 am
      I love clean sheets.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #533: Jan 13, 2019 01:29:49 am
      Another priceless three points, 16 games to go, come on Reds!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #534: Jan 13, 2019 02:01:45 am
      Great job Fabinho playing out of position but I went VVD for motm. He simply runs our back line, watching hi. Barking orders and at one point losing his rag at TAA because the line ā€œwasnā€™t straightā€ was awesome. f***in boss defender. The best in the world for me.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #535: Jan 13, 2019 05:07:19 am

Are you VVD?  ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #536: Jan 13, 2019 06:46:20 am

BUT GOOD ENOUGH TO  WIN  !!!

Its called grinding out results,  don't you know that every Champion has to do this occasionally ?

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #537: Jan 13, 2019 06:47:14 am
      3 points in the bag and another step nearer to number 19.I was impressed with Mo's penalty,he hit the ball with so much venom and power.A well earned victory,thank you RED MEN.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #538: Jan 13, 2019 06:57:56 am
      Guys, we won with a deserved penalty. We won! Another three point closer to being Champions.

For me, the ball could have hit the referee and went in, I would be celebrating as if we won 6-0.

On the performance, we were stuck in second gear since they put 11 men behind the ball. We need to move the ball much quicker.

MOTM Robertson. Fabinho and VVD were excellent too.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #539: Jan 13, 2019 09:49:12 am
      Good performances doesnā€™t  mean blasting teams off of the park week in week out itā€™s all about whatever gets you the points.
      I think we are taking  a more measured pragmatic approach this season and just being patient with our football which at the same time is also giving us time to get our injured players back,the likes of ox & joe who will be so vital come the nitty gritty part of the season ,slowly slowly catchy monkey.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #540: Jan 13, 2019 10:06:37 am
      Isn't the championship about points rather than goals? Goals lead to points. We scored one and got maximum points. Why don't we just celebrate the three points and one goal rather than holding back for three points and four goals?

I know the concern is we couldn't carve Brighton apart. But we're never ever playing them till next season. So what's the concern?

Hendo kept passing backwards and got me frustrated but it doesn't matter now. If it's maximum points, backpass all you want. Not good for the heart, that's all!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #541: Jan 13, 2019 10:25:42 am

Oh come on Ried, Brighton were playing at home and never really looked like scoring. Canā€™t even remember a corner for them.

Liverpool dominated and 100% deserved 3 points.

Thatā€™s good enough for me
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #542: Jan 13, 2019 10:28:35 am
      Only took a penalty to score because Salah was fouled before he lashed his opportunity in the net.  That would be the other way of looking at it. 

Is it acceptable to win by firing in a free-kick?

The mind boggles.
      Yes It is acceptable to win that way, but what I am say is that we are creating too little in the way of real opportunities and chances. Does that not concern you...?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #543: Jan 13, 2019 10:42:16 am
      Yes It is acceptable to win that way, but what I am say is that we are creating too little in the way of real opportunities and chances. Does that not concern you...?

I thought we created quite a few clear goal scoring opportunities?
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #544: Jan 13, 2019 10:45:14 am

When the defence is so solid, you don't always need to create lots of chances - as long as you take one or two when they come along. Can recall times in the past creating a shedload of chances, maybe scoring 3 - but still drawing the game :( I know which I prefer.
      We have a much better balance now imho, between defence and attack. We went yesterday off the back of two losses, to a well organised team who have good home record, won the game, and kept clean sheet.
      7 points clear at the top. Cannot praise JĆ¼rgen enough.
      If had to pick a *concern* think it would be injuries, and our squad depth compared to City. Would like to sign a CM in Jan.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #545: Jan 13, 2019 10:49:45 am

BUT GOOD ENOUGH TO  WIN  !!!

Its called grinding out results,  don't you know that every Champion has to do this occasionally ?

YNWA

Yes of course I do, but we have to do this more often than we should... Yes some teams are going to defend in heavier numbers than others, but we seem to lack the skill and players from the bench to break these types of defense down, and when we fail to do so the commentators spout the same bollocks everytime " It's time to bring on Daniel Sturrigde" and most of us know that he will make little to no difference to our ability to break them down...

We have, and Continue to hold on to players that no longer, for what ever reason have what it takes, or player that never had it, Sturrigde, Lallana,Mignolet, Markovic, Ings, Clyne and Grujic. They all need to be sold that would save use Ā£425 k p.w. plus the money we would get from the sale of these players to reinvest. These player are nothing more than dead wood, move them on already
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #546: Jan 13, 2019 10:52:14 am
      Oh come on Ried, Brighton were playing at home and never really looked like scoring. Canā€™t even remember a corner for them.

Liverpool dominated and 100% deserved 3 points.

Thatā€™s good enough for me
      Came close to it a couple of times if not for Fab' and TAA last minute interventions
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #547: Jan 13, 2019 10:54:40 am
      I thought we created quite a few clear goal scoring opportunities?
      Really not being funny but I think we watch two different games, In all fairness there may have been a few, but quite a few...?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #548: Jan 13, 2019 10:56:46 am
      When the defence is so solid, you don't always need to create lots of chances - as long as you take one or two when they come along.

That's my point take away the penalty and we failed to take any of the few we had
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #549: Jan 13, 2019 10:59:04 am
      It concerned me the initial few games of the season when we were grinding out the results.

Not any more. What I have learnt over the course of this season is JĆ¼rgen very clearly has a plan. It's not a fluke we are on top.

We have seen multiple times this season that if he likes he can set up a attacking unit who can constantly keep on bombarding the opposition with attack after attack.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #550: Jan 13, 2019 11:08:16 am
      It concerned me the initial few games of the season when we were grinding out the results.

Not any more. What I have learnt over the course of this season is JĆ¼rgen very clearly has a plan. It's not a fluke we are on top.

We have seen multiple times this season that if he likes he can set up a attacking unit who can constantly keep on bombarding the opposition with attack after attack.

At the moment JĆ¼rgen has gone for a more conservative game strategy more defense minded which is fine, we are more likely to hold on to games but last season our attack was scaring the opposition off the park, most games where won before we set foot on the pitch. What I would like to see JĆ¼rgen do, what I would expect him to do  is to combine the best elements of the two, and not go with just the new one...

EDIT :-
      Last season we would attack with real speed, this season most of our build up is slow and lumbering, and we have to rely to heavily on the intricacies of our plays... Nice and pleasing to the eye when it comes off, but it rarely does 
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2019 11:14:34 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #551: Jan 13, 2019 11:13:48 am
      At the moment JĆ¼rgen has gone for a more conservative game strategy more defense minded which is fine, we are more likely to hold on to games but last season our attack was scaring the opposition off the park, most games where won before we set foot on the pitch. What I would like to see JĆ¼rgen do, what I would expect him to do  is to combine the best elements of the two, and not go with just the new one

Weā€™re better defensively now for sure and thatā€™s the reason we are top of the league. Weā€™ve scored the 2nd most amount of goals this season, 50, Man City have scored 56. I donā€™t see a problem?

Quick Reply