Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Crystal Palace (19/01/19 - 15:00)

Read 15305 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Crystal Palace (19/01/19 - 15:00)
      Reply #46: Jan 16, 2019 02:48:41 pm
      This. Not sure why anyone would think Clyne was 2nd choice RB, the lad couldn't get a game for love nor money! Having said that hindsight is a wonderful thing and I suspect he'd be staying put if Klopp could have foreseen our current injury problems in defence.

Even taking names out of it [and assuming if we don't sign anyone in Jan :( ] you could boil it down to a question of whether you think Citeh have a stronger, deeper squad than us?
      If the answer is yes, then does it make sense for us to let people go in Jan?
      Expecting them to push us all the way, and for us to be stretched to the limit.

Still, like you say, hard to foresee so many injuries in defence.
      And hope that we start getting guys back before it actually hurts us [points wise].
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #47: Jan 16, 2019 03:13:45 pm
      OMG! People are actually still not over Clyne, yet!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Jan 16, 2019 03:50:11 pm
      I'm wondering if it might be an option to play Robertson as RB and Milner as LB, just to counter Zaha. Would Robertson be able to adjust?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #49: Jan 16, 2019 04:38:08 pm
      Even taking names out of it [and assuming if we don't sign anyone in Jan :( ] you could boil it down to a question of whether you think Citeh have a stronger, deeper squad than us?
      If the answer is yes, then does it make sense for us to let people go in Jan?
      Expecting them to push us all the way, and for us to be stretched to the limit.

Still, like you say, hard to foresee so many injuries in defence.
      And hope that we start getting guys back before it actually hurts us [points wise].

I think they are deeper in the skill positions but at full-back and defensive midfield i'd say we have the edge slightly. They have played Delph as a makeshift left back at times for the last 12 months with Mendy being out with injuries and Danilo still has a bit to prove plus Walker's form has dropped off considerably. They have got Zinchenko on the left but he has looked very dodgy. In the middle of the park they look a bit rattled without Fernandinho so an injury there could leave them with Delph having to step in or Stones playing further forward. we are actually in pretty good shape for cover and flexibility in our own midfield.   

I'm wondering if it might be an option to play Robertson as RB and Milner as LB, just to counter Zaha. Would Robertson be able to adjust?

I wouldn't move Roberston no matter what is going on elsewhere, he's the best left back in the league so i'd leave him where he is. Milner will be fine, he's a savvy player, if Zaha looks like getting past him he will kick him! /You can guarantee that. Just go out and play our usual attacking game and let them worry about our lads.
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2019 04:51:12 pm by Scottbot »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #50: Jan 16, 2019 04:43:24 pm
      I think they are deeper in the skill positions but at full-back and defensive midfield i'd say we have the edge slightly. They have played Delph as a makeshift left back at times for the last 12 months with Mendy being out with injuries and Danilo still has a bit to prove plus Walker's form has dropped off considerably. They have got Zinchenko on the left but he has looked very dodgy. In the middle of the park they look a bit rattled without Fernandinho so an injury there could leave them with Delph having to step in or Stones playing further forward.

I wouldn't move Roberston no matter what is going on elsewhere, he's the best left back in the league so i'd leave him where he is. Milner will be fine, he's a savvy player, if Zaha looks like getting past him he will kick him! /You can guarantee that. Just go out and play our usual attacking game and let them worry about our lads.

Even if Zaha doesn’t go past him he is still guaranteed a kick from Jimmy.  :D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #51: Jan 16, 2019 04:58:23 pm
      OMG! People are actually still not over Clyne, yet!

Heaven forbid people complaining about weakening the squad

:couch:
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #52: Jan 16, 2019 05:08:03 pm
       :bert: at RB?
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1631 
      Reply #53: Jan 16, 2019 05:16:21 pm
      It’s not just about pace - Milner is a seasoned pro and will have a gameplan

And will also have support from CB and midfield. To be honest it shouldn't be often he sees the ball
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Jan 16, 2019 05:19:19 pm
      Coming for the Owl and taking down the Eagle.

3-0 Reds .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #55: Jan 16, 2019 05:31:24 pm

Yes because Robertson is quicker than Milner and Zaha operates on that flank, its not really that silly a suggestion, my only query is if Robertson could operate as a RB, we already know that Jimmy is ok as LB and he'd have Virgil as extra cover on that side.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #56: Jan 16, 2019 05:45:04 pm
      Yes because Robertson is quicker than Milner and Zaha operates on that flank, its not really that silly a suggestion, my only query is if Robertson could operate as a RB, we already know that Jimmy is ok as LB and he'd have Virgil as extra cover on that side.

Starting to tinker too much to address the opposition for me Heimy.

Also - lose too much as a team by moving Robbo
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #57: Jan 16, 2019 05:50:19 pm
      The last team to beat us at Anfield in the league I believe?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Jan 16, 2019 06:13:47 pm

Ah yes, the Benteke/Mama secret handshake. Let's rout them.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #59: Jan 16, 2019 06:24:01 pm

F***ing ages ago. Big Ben fu**ed us.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Jan 16, 2019 06:25:53 pm
      I think they are deeper in the skill positions but at full-back and defensive midfield i'd say we have the edge slightly. They have played Delph as a makeshift left back at times for the last 12 months with Mendy being out with injuries and Danilo still has a bit to prove plus Walker's form has dropped off considerably. They have got Zinchenko on the left but he has looked very dodgy. In the middle of the park they look a bit rattled without Fernandinho so an injury there could leave them with Delph having to step in or Stones playing further forward. we are actually in pretty good shape for cover and flexibility in our own midfield.

Pretty much agree with that.  Problem is teams can't [or barely try to] get at them at the back when the midfield & attack close down like they did against us, retain so much possession etc.  And with guys like Mahrez, Aguero not even starting matches, DeBruyne coming back from injury, they have serious options, and strength from the bench.

On Sat likely Milner will go to RB. Hopefully Fab won't have to play CB / Matip can.
      But at that point we then have to look at starting Keita, who has been poor, and a bench maybe something like:
      Mignolet, Hoever, Moreno, Origi, Matip, Camacho, an-other

But that's still a pretty strong starting XI.
      And Fekir might be on his way :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #61: Jan 16, 2019 08:49:25 pm
      Heaven forbid people complaining about weakening the squad

:couch:

Hardly.

He never played and he doesn’t even suit our team.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #62: Jan 16, 2019 08:59:44 pm
      Hardly.

He never played and he doesn’t even suit our team.

Yeah, he is actually fit now
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #63: Jan 16, 2019 09:16:35 pm

No way for me. Don't want to lose Robbo's crossing from the left - such a big part of our game. (Plus they could easily just swap Zaha over to Milner's side if they did want to target him anyway.)

Milner is just going to have to deal with him. I think he'll do ok. Although I personally would have preferred Clyne there, Milner is pretty solid. It's if we get anymore injuries that we'll have a problem - our bench is going to look a bit thin on Saturday.

So our first team pretty much picks itself - only question is Shaq or Keita? Close call. I fancy us to win either way, but would probably start Shaq.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #64: Jan 16, 2019 09:31:37 pm
      No way for me. Don't want to lose Robbo's crossing from the left - such a big part of our game. (Plus they could easily just swap Zaha over to Milner's side if they did want to target him anyway.)

Milner is just going to have to deal with him. I think he'll do ok. Although I personally would have preferred Clyne there, Milner is pretty solid. It's if we get anymore injuries that we'll have a problem - our bench is going to look a bit thin on Saturday.

So our first team pretty much picks itself - only question is Shaq or Keita? Close call. I fancy us to win either way, but would probably start Shaq.

Yea, ideally wouldn't start playing musical chairs. Would not move Robbo. Milly is a wily player and knows the position - put him in there and keep changes to a minimum.
      Agree team picks itself apart from Keita/Shaq - I'd go Shaq.  Can see why might start Keita, give him time to work his way into the game/get some confidence. Could really do with an in form Keita for the run in. If only he was playing a bit better, just feels risky using these games where we *need* 3 points to try bed him in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #65: Jan 16, 2019 09:42:27 pm

And Jürgen Klopp let him go to play football elsewhere.

He doesn’t fit. He can’t use the ball and he can’t cross. Not even a great defender. That’s why he’s on loan at Bournemouth.

He got fit and was still fourth choice.

People just want to complain because TAA got injured.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #66: Jan 16, 2019 09:47:24 pm
      And Jürgen Klopp let him go to play football elsewhere.

He doesn’t fit. He can’t use the ball and he can’t cross. Not even a great defender. That’s why he’s on loan at Bournemouth.

He got fit and was still fourth choice.

People just want to complain because TAA got injured.

Blah, blah, blah. It's about having a squad
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #67: Jan 16, 2019 09:57:00 pm
      Blah, blah, blah. It's about having a squad

;D.

Let’s just sign everyone and have a 50 man squad full of fourth choice options!

SQUAD!

Head wobble, mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #68: Jan 16, 2019 10:04:09 pm
      ;D.

Let’s just sign everyone and have a 50 man squad full of fourth choice options!

SQUAD!

Head wobble, mate.

Or let's get rid of players mid season when you already have defensive injuries.

Quick Reply