Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Bob Paisley

Read 8109 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Bob Paisley
      Reply #23: Jan 30, 2020 01:55:22 pm
      Just came across this out of the blue - apparently they've just unveiled a statue of Bob & Crazy Horse outside the ground!

Looking forward to seeing it Saturday!

Long, long overdue

https://twitter.com/KevH2_205/status/1222877713259749376?s=20
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24: Jan 30, 2020 02:10:38 pm
      Just came across this out of the blue - apparently they've just unveiled a statue of Bob & Crazy Horse outside the ground!

Long, long overdue

Made up & your absolutely right..about time..
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #25: Jan 30, 2020 02:22:22 pm
      Better image containing his famous quote on the base

"This club has been my life.  I’d go out and sweep the street and be proud to do it for Liverpool FC if they asked me to"
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26: Jan 30, 2020 02:24:32 pm
      Better image containing his famous quote on the base

"This club has been my life.  I’d go out and sweep the street and be proud to do it for Liverpool FC if they asked me to"

Has there been any publicity about this at all?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #27: Jan 30, 2020 02:27:08 pm
      Has there been any publicity about this at all?

None whatsoever, they've kept it under wraps well. Only found out myself on Twitter about half an hour ago

There was a campaign a few years ago to get him a statue so I don't know whether it's stemmed from that
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #28: Jan 30, 2020 03:04:49 pm
      I just listened to an interview with him and Bobby Robson after Liverpool beat Ipswich to the league in 1982. Two absolute legends.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #29: Jan 30, 2020 03:06:54 pm

Long, long overdue

Just commented on this on twitter. Brilliant Sir BOB the manager I remember when I 1st started following LFC.

my twitter handle is Brezlingo BTW. ;D.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #30: Feb 17, 2020 10:09:43 am
      https://twitter.com/Ian_Rush9/status/1229148752897814528

They've done another one of those Paisley videos. Really need to hit them on the head I reckon, just getting proper weird now
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #31: Feb 17, 2020 10:41:06 am
      Legend doesn't even come close, thank you Sir Bob..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Feb 17, 2020 10:49:45 am
      In my opinion time has somehow diminished his incredible legacy at our club when we talk of "greatest" in terms of what we are doing now.
      I read about how it was easier then than it is now and so on but if people are unsure then they should look at his record not only in terms of his success but how much of his life as a Player ,Coach and Manager he gave to this club. An extra ordinary man and humble beyond belief he even found time to serve his Country for 6 years what a man what a life .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Oct 31, 2020 09:52:57 am
      On a day when the lads can equal a club record 63 home games unbeaten, lets remember the man who set it back in 1980.

Bob Paisley and his incredible team.

For me he will always be the standard bearer for Jürgen and future managers to aspire to

God bless ye Sir Bob
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Oct 31, 2020 01:40:52 pm
      On a day when the lads can equal a club record 63 home games unbeaten, lets remember the man who set it back in 1980.

Bob Paisley and his incredible team.

For me he will always be the standard bearer for Jürgen and future managers to aspire to

God bless ye Sir Bob

Brian, I think Bob has set a standard that will never be beaten, what he achieved is nothing short of miraculous, it wasn’t just the amount of trophies won under his leadership it’s the manner in how they were won, ppl forget that football existed prior to 1992, before then nothing seems to hold any kind credence, but in actual fact was probably one if not the most prolific era’s of football ever known,

I don’t know of any team that achieved so much in such a short space of time from anywhere else in the world, respected ex-footballers regard winning your domestic league as the real measure of how good a side you really are, to finish above everyone else and be the best you can be cannot be bettered, Bob did this Six times in Nine seasons, that in itself is truly remarkable, in a era where only one substitute could be used, I think in one season he only used 14 players in the entire season , try doing that today,

In Europe, he proved once again what a fantastic manager he was and without doubt a master tactician, back when it was the proper European cup, where all the domestic champions of their respective leagues would compete for Old Big Ears, back then it was a two legged home / away straight knock out competition, so no fannying around, you simply Had to win or you were out, from playing in cities as close as Scotland to the deepest darkest eastern bloc countries, on proper quagmire pitches in shirts that were like sacking, and boots not out of place on a rugby pitch, well certainly not the carpet slippers of today, and proper footballs, not quite the leather laced type that Billy Liddell would head, but heavy enough,

Three proper European cups won, 1 UEFA cup won, and 1 European super cup won, again another incredible achievement, from this remarkably humble genius of a man, yet ppl only want to remember modern football, such as Fergie at the toilet, and as much as I can respect his achievements in his 27 years there, and I do, it’s not a patch on what Bob did in his Nine years as our Manager.

RIP Bob

Y  N  W  A

Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #35: Oct 31, 2020 03:00:58 pm

Brian, I think Bob has set a standard that will never be beaten, what he achieved is nothing short of miraculous, it wasn’t just the amount of trophies won under his leadership it’s the manner in how they were won, ppl forget that football existed prior to 1992, before then nothing seems to hold any kind credence, but in actual fact was probably one if not the most prolific era’s of football ever known,

I don’t know of any team that achieved so much in such a short space of time from anywhere else in the world, respected ex-footballers regard winning your domestic league as the real measure of how good a side you really are, to finish above everyone else and be the best you can be cannot be bettered, Bob did this Six times in Nine seasons, that in itself is truly remarkable, in a era where only one substitute could be used, I think in one season he only used 14 players in the entire season , try doing that today,

In Europe, he proved once again what a fantastic manager he was and without doubt a master tactician, back when it was the proper European cup, where all the domestic champions of their respective leagues would compete for Old Big Ears, back then it was a two legged home / away straight knock out competition, so no fannying around, you simply Had to win or you were out, from playing in cities as close as Scotland to the deepest darkest eastern bloc countries, on proper quagmire pitches in shirts that were like sacking, and boots not out of place on a rugby pitch, well certainly not the carpet slippers of today, and proper footballs, not quite the leather laced type that Billy Liddell would head, but heavy enough,

Three proper European cups won, 1 UEFA cup won, and 1 European super cup won, again another incredible achievement, from this remarkably humble genius of a man, yet ppl only want to remember modern football, such as Fergie at the toilet, and as much as I can respect his achievements in his 27 years there, and I do, it’s not a patch on what Bob did in his Nine years as our Manager.

RIP Bob

Y  N  W  A

What a fantastic post, well said Billy.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #36: Oct 31, 2020 04:08:26 pm
      The best & the yardstick for future football LFC managers..
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #37: Jan 22, 2021 07:53:40 pm
      Bobs birthday tomorrow. Would be 102.

Will always, for me, be the clubs greatest servant. The argument for Shanks being the best manager is obvious (for me its Bob) but as a clubman, player, captain, physio,  reserve team coach, assistant manager and manager, unmatched by any other.

His success in such a short period blows all away. And that humbleness,my God the humbleness. What a manager, what a man.

Happy birthday sir Bob
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #38: Jan 22, 2021 10:03:35 pm
      The man who brought Liverpool to my bedroom wall all those years ago.

The greatest.

YNWA.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #39: Jan 23, 2021 11:20:24 am
      Hapoy birthday Bob

I recall your all conquering team being 9 points off top at the half way point of the 81 82 season. Won it by 4 in the end. No small part to your management
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #40: Jan 23, 2021 01:35:50 pm
      Sir Bob Paisley the most successful manager in British football History, served his club for over 50 years, from player to Physio to Manager, 21 trophies in Nine years, including Six titles, Three European Cups, Three League cups, one UEFA cup, one UEFA Super cup, one FA cup,  six charity shields, from 1974 - 1983 under Bob, Liverpool never finished below 5th in the old first division, finishing as runners up twice,

He was such a gentleman but cross him at your peril, and so humble, he was happiest sat in his armchair in his slippers wearing a flat cap with the Racing post in hand, that was Bob down to a tee, he was your typical favourite Grandad, but incredibly the greatest manager we have ever had.

Happy Birthday Bob.

You’ll Never Walk Alone
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #41: Jan 23, 2021 05:05:19 pm
      Please forgive the Twitter feed, but here is a nice video.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1352878734416564224?s=20
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #42: Jan 26, 2021 08:07:34 pm
      Quote from billythered
      ...playing in cities as close as Scotland to the deepest darkest eastern bloc countries, on proper quagmire pitches...
                                                                    Y  N  W  A

I wonder how you came up with that one.

Europe is not just Milan, Madrid and Monaco. It is Baku, Bratislava and Bucharest as well. Granted, half of Europe was under hardline communist rule when Bob was in charge, but now there are colourful welcoming cities across the whole continent. There's a bit more travelling involved, but travel is an unavoidable part of the game at all levels. It is certainly much more comfortable for the players now than it used to be.

Back in Bob's day, pitches at home were not in the greatest condition either. It was a wet day when he had his last home game in charge, and the pitch was badly cut up. But it was considered normal in those days.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #43: Feb 27, 2021 08:12:16 pm
      I wonder how you came up with that one.

Europe is not just Milan, Madrid and Monaco. It is Baku, Bratislava and Bucharest as well. Granted, half of Europe was under hardline communist rule when Bob was in charge, but now there are colourful welcoming cities across the whole continent. There's a bit more travelling involved, but travel is an unavoidable part of the game at all levels. It is certainly much more comfortable for the players now than it used to be.

Back in Bob's day, pitches at home were not in the greatest condition either. It was a wet day when he had his last home game in charge, and the pitch was badly cut up. But it was considered normal in those days.

What the F**k are you on seriously? Talk about F***ing pedantic!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #44: Feb 28, 2021 09:11:25 am
      What the f**k are you on seriously? Talk about f**king pedantic!!

Baffles me mate, dunno, maybe he’s smokin the wrong sh*t, melts brain cells n stuff 🤪
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #45: Jan 23, 2022 05:28:36 pm
      Happy birthday great man

Quick Reply