Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      5 (3.6%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      20 (14.3%)
       Fabinho
      16 (11.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      37 (26.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      52 (37.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      5 (3.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Rafael Camacho
      2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Jan 23, 2019 04:54:48 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29919 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Jan 20, 2019 04:56:07 pm
      Relevant in the sense that it is difficult to judge a player who impresses in the Primeira, especially with such a high price tag. Not a lottery but something of a risk and that was the point I was cryptically suggesting.

Was that got to do with keita ?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #737: Jan 20, 2019 05:05:58 pm

Nowt..
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #738: Jan 20, 2019 05:51:56 pm
      Absolutely wild game that... but similar to last week against Brighton how many times have we seen those end in a frustrating draw. We were far from our best but we still managed to get it over the line, that’s what makes the difference, I couldn’t care less if City put 12 past Huddersfield today, they still cant close that gap and with every week we pull it out of the bag the more frustrating it gets for them.

I think it would be healthier to have those hard fought 1-0 every week than that, but I’ll take it all the same.

On to the next one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #739: Jan 20, 2019 08:56:56 pm
      Eventually got round to voting motm.
      Went for Mo for being a constant niucance to them and the quality of that first goal.
      And we move on 😊
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #740: Jan 20, 2019 09:32:24 pm
      I’m disappointed he went to ground so easily - I personally don’t like it.

But I f**king love him xxxx

Yeah he did go down after the contact but from what I saw he carried on playing immediately, tried a tackle, got back up. I didn't see him asking for a pen or foul.

Maybe I'm biased but that's the way I saw it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #741: Jan 20, 2019 09:37:44 pm
      I think everything we know about Jürgen is that naby will get time

Obvious to everyone that Keita has not lit the touchpaper. Positive I'm clinging to is that Ox didn't get going till second half and he was actually from the same league! Also Firmino took his time and he was more involved.

Keita judgement might be Christmas really 🤔
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #742: Jan 21, 2019 04:19:24 am
      Yeah he did go down after the contact but from what I saw he carried on playing immediately, tried a tackle, got back up. I didn't see him asking for a pen or foul.

Saw that too. How easily that moment got swept under the rug too. Never asked for foul, still kicked the ball after going down.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #743: Jan 21, 2019 04:44:15 am
      No mention of VVD being held down for their second goal?
      Their player had hold of him from behind, just long enough so that he couldn't get up for the header.

Spot F***ing on mate. Ayew was holding VVD so he couldn't get a leap up in the air. If he wasn't Big Virg clears that easy. They tried letting that c**t Moss know but he didn't give a sh*t. Cheating cu*ts, it's not the first time it's happened this Season, either!!

Seen online today that apparently Jon Moss was Milly’s teacher back in school.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #744: Jan 21, 2019 08:50:47 am
      Spot f**king on mate. Ayew was holding VVD so he couldn't get a leap up in the air. If he wasn't Big Virg clears that easy. They tried letting that c**t Moss know but he didn't give a sh*t. Cheating cu*ts, it's not the first time it's happened this Season, either!!

F***ing hell, how old is Moss then??
      Kopite78
      Reply #745: Jan 21, 2019 10:00:32 am

Me too

Saturday's as well for me was the first questionable one, every other one has been a penalty for me.
      Pisses me off a bit to be honest, defender gets the wrong side or gets done and pulls him back, strong contact or not and people have a go at the attacker? There's F**k all in the rules that say once you have been turned inside out that you can desperately try to grab the player.
      The Brighton one, there were 3 fouls on him
      The Newcastle one the defender pulls him having got done and is on the wrong side. Why does he pull him? Because he's desperate and wants to stop the shot/goal

Yesterday I think he felt the first contact and expected the second which didn't come and made it look worse, but as you say he didn't claim, he knew it wasn't a pen either. But also the ref saw the initial contact and didn't feel it a dive either so didn't book him. His decision was contact, but not enough for a penalty.. play on

Don't forget Mo gets kicked to F**k all game, constantly getting fouled and refs don't protect him.
      I think Huyton is on to something that maybe he's been told not to be too honest and get into physical battles because of what happened in the CL final against Ramos. An injury that was still bothering him until November when he finally took the strapping off during games

Look back to this season against Bournemouth when that thug (Cook?) Stamped on his Achilles twice during the game, once when he stayed up and went on to score but even then the defender isn't booked after or condemned by the public for trying to injure someone because he's a F***ing cart horse who can't legally stay with Mo

Mo also isn't praised after situations like that when he stays up following constant kickings

Double standards if you ask me

I don't like diving but I also don't like thug defenders cheating by kicking and grabbing because they can't keep up

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #746: Jan 21, 2019 10:24:03 am
      Me too

Saturday's as well for me was the first questionable one, every other one has been a penalty for me.
      Pisses me off a bit to be honest, defender gets the wrong side or gets done and pulls him back, strong contact or not and people have a go at the attacker? There's f**k all in the rules that say once you have been turned inside out that you can desperately try to grab the player.
      The Brighton one, there were 3 fouls on him
      The Newcastle one the defender pulls him having got done and is on the wrong side. Why does he pull him? Because he's desperate and wants to stop the shot/goal

Yesterday I think he felt the first contact and expected the second which didn't come and made it look worse, but as you say he didn't claim, he knew it wasn't a pen either. But also the ref saw the initial contact and didn't feel it a dive either so didn't book him. His decision was contact, but not enough for a penalty.. play on

Don't forget Mo gets kicked to f**k all game, constantly getting fouled and refs don't protect him.
      I think Huyton is on to something that maybe he's been told not to be too honest and get into physical battles because of what happened in the CL final against Ramos. An injury that was still bothering him until November when he finally took the strapping off during games

Look back to this season against Bournemouth when that thug (Cook?) Stamped on his Achilles twice during the game, once when he stayed up and went on to score but even then the defender isn't booked after or condemned by the public for trying to injure someone because he's a f**king cart horse who can't legally stay with Mo

Mo also isn't praised after situations like that when he stays up following constant kickings

Double standards if you ask me

I don't like diving but I also don't like thug defenders cheating by kicking and grabbing because they can't keep up

I agree.

Said in Mo’s thread I don’t think this is an accident.

I genuinely think they’ve looked at it and said you can’t keep taking the hammer - so make defenders nervous about getting too tight.

Not by diving - not excusing that - but by letting gravity do it’s thing when you get fouled.
      Kopite78
      Reply #747: Jan 21, 2019 10:44:18 am
      I agree.

Said in Mo’s thread I don’t think this is an accident.

I genuinely think they’ve looked at it and said you can’t keep taking the hammer - so make defenders nervous about getting too tight.

Not by diving - not excusing that - but by letting gravity do it’s thing when you get fouled.

Agree mate

I guarantee that he's stayed on his feet more often having been kicked and pulled than he's gone down without

Not sure why the balance isn't there when he's stayed up having been kicked or it's ignored

To be honest I dont blame a defender that if he's been done he tries anything to stop him scoring, it's instinct, trying to stop the goal, pulling him back or whatever but it doenst mean it's not a foul
      You wouldn't want a defender to just give up once he's been done but if the ref sees it and says it's a foul then so be it

I don't get the argument that, oh would he go down in the middle of the pitch from that

Maybe maybe not, but the point is different, would the defender be so desperate and pull him back in the middle of the park?
      Ask yourself why the defenders are doing it before you castigate Salah.
      He's doing it out of need and being desperate to stop him scoring

Yes is a contact sport, but there's a difference between say a shoulder to shoulder or a robust tackle than a desperate grab of a shoulder in the box or a mistimed swipe in the box.
      They are done through being desperate and not in control of a situation than a natural coming together or a 50/50 challenge

I'm all for defenders going in hard and fair in the box.. but a grab of a shoulder being in the complete wrong position? They appear soft but for me they are to an extent worse than a wholehearted challenge that is mistimed and a penalty is awarded.. because they are done because you have one thing and one thing in mind and that's stopping the attacker in a  goalscoring area, there is literally no attempt to get the ball and therefore for me 100% penalties no matter how soft they look

Same as grabbing and grappling at corners..  more pens should be awarded for that

For me contact is allowed 100% but only when making genuine attempts for the ball.. If you have no interest or chance of getting the ball and your sole interest is stopping the player it's a penalty
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #748: Jan 21, 2019 10:51:26 am
      Agree mate

I guarantee that he's stayed on his feet more often having been kicked and pulled than he's gone down without

Not sure why the balance isn't there when he's stayed up having been kicked or it's ignored

To be honest I dont blame a defender that if he's been done he tries anything to stop him scoring, it's instinct, trying to stop the goal, pulling him back or whatever but it doenst mean it's not a foul
      You wouldn't want a defender to just give up once he's been done but if the ref sees it and says it's a foul then so be it

I don't get the argument that, oh would he go down in the middle of the pitch from that

Maybe maybe not, but the point is different, would the defender be so desperate and pull him back in the middle of the park?
      Ask yourself why the defenders are doing it before you castigate Salah.
      He's doing it out of need and being desperate to stop him scoring

Yes is a contact sport, but there's a difference between say a shoulder to shoulder or a robust tackle than a desperate grab of a shoulder in the box or a mistimed swipe in the box.
      They are done through being desperate and not in control of a situation than a natural coming together or a 50/50 challenge

I'm all for defenders going in hard and fair in the box.. but a grab of a shoulder being in the complete wrong position? They appear soft but for me they are to an extent worse than a wholehearted challenge that is mistimed and a penalty is awarded.. because they are done because you have one thing and one thing in mind and that's stopping the attacker in a  goalscoring area, there is literally no attempt to get the ball and therefore for me 100% penalties no matter how soft they look

Same as grabbing and grappling at corners..  more pens should be awarded for that

For me contact is allowed 100% but only when making genuine attempts for the ball.. If you have no interest or chance of getting the ball and your sole interest is stopping the player it's a penalty

All sound mate - the last para for me especially so.

That’s what (I think) they’ve looked at now he’s moved into the middle.

Less space so key that he gets chance to manoeuvre ball (which let’s face it he’s better at in right space than anyone in the league) without getting manhandled. Therefore you have to make them worried about being too tight.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #749: Jan 21, 2019 11:19:27 am
      Harry Kane and Delle Ali are two of the biggest divers in the land and hardly ever get pulled up, but any Jonny foreigner try do that and the likes of Shearer are disgusted!
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #750: Jan 21, 2019 11:57:08 am
      Bit of a difference in going down too easily having felt contact.. and faking a contact (e.g. trip) and throwing yourself over in the box.

Mo is being called out for the first, but not the latter. Yet, they consider it all the same. No chance. We've seen plenty of the latter e.g. Kane. That's a proper dive. Mo has felt contact, and has won a couple of soft penalties, but on each of those previous, there was definite contact, and definite enough to cause either a fall or an obstruction to his movement and his opportunity to score.

The Crystal Palace one however was 90% simulation 10% contact. Not enough to cause a problem, and Mo went down looking for it. Perhaps he tried to con the ref? perhaps he felt justified (initial contact etc)? perhaps he was expecting more contact and realised his error as he hit the floor (no appeal)? Could be either. Not really comfortable with that one, but I can take that one, and Mo has certainly changed his approach and is far more prepared to ensure that he doesn't let the fouls on him go unnoticed.

The whole situation is exaggerated though. The Arsenal one was ridiculous - with Mo getting harassed as he was leaving the pitch at HT for a blatant penalty. Then there is Kompany taking him out, somehow avoiding a red card, and calling Salah a pussy. Definite hatred out there for him at the moment - which is odd really.

Let's just go win the title, have Mo win the Golden Boot, and let them all stick it.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #751: Jan 21, 2019 12:06:02 pm
      Get the f**k in!!!

I was shitting myself before the game and all week and my nerves were warranted but what a comeback from our lads.

Finding ways to win with a makeshift defense. Grinding the wins out when not playing well has given me the confidence that when we went 1 behind, I knew we could come back and get 2 to get back in front. I didn't expect the end score though, just glad it was in our favour.

Really starting to believe that Number 19 is going to be ours in 2019

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnn.

Its on for sure, If we can get to the Bayern game with another 9 points I will be even more a believer, as I think City will drop points by then.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #752: Jan 21, 2019 07:27:05 pm
      Harry Kane and Delle Ali are two of the biggest divers in the land and hardly ever get pulled up, but any Jonny foreigner try do that and the likes of Shearer are disgusted!

Well said  :gt-happyup:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #753: Jan 21, 2019 08:08:10 pm
      Haven’t read a post since full time and I’m finally ready to talk about it.

Alisson was pretty sh*te.

Milner was hit and miss.

Matip...F**k me sideways that was the Joel of old. Dumb runs forward, sh*t passes to anyone, positionally all over the place. Utter crap.

VVD can’t recall much happening with him.

Robbo the same.

Hendo and Fab were good in the middle but missing when we needed to tighten the ship.

Attack saved our asses with a bit of fortune.

We went 2-1 up and didn’t know what to do. Same again at 3-2. Palace didn’t even bother closing us down and we still insisted on trying to play passes in to a packed midfield and kept giving it away for them to counter attack. HOLD THE BALL.

Such an annoying performance because it was everything we haven’t been this season. Lost, confused, panicky.

But we won. And everyone would hate that. So roll on to the next one after a much needed mini break.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #754: Jan 21, 2019 08:47:42 pm
      Haven’t read a post since full time and I’m finally ready to talk about it.

Alisson was pretty sh*te.

Milner was hit and miss.

Matip...f**k me sideways that was the Joel of old. Dumb runs forward, sh*t passes to anyone, positionally all over the place. Utter crap.

VVD can’t recall much happening with him.

Robbo the same.

Hendo and Fab were good in the middle but missing when we needed to tighten the ship.

Attack saved our asses with a bit of fortune.

We went 2-1 up and didn’t know what to do. Same again at 3-2. Palace didn’t even bother closing us down and we still insisted on trying to play passes in to a packed midfield and kept giving it away for them to counter attack. HOLD THE BALL.

Such an annoying performance because it was everything we haven’t been this season. Lost, confused, panicky.

But we won. And everyone would hate that. So roll on to the next one after a much needed mini break.

Bit harsh on alisson. Should have done better for the 3rd but otherwise couldn't do much for the other 2
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #755: Jan 22, 2019 09:20:24 am
      Bit harsh on alisson. Should have done better for the 3rd but otherwise couldn't do much for the other 2

First goal shouldn't be trying to drop his hands. Use the feet - increases reach and reduces reaction time.

Second goal bad positioning. Shouldn't be beaten at that trajectory and placement.

My opinion of course.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #756: Jan 22, 2019 09:44:16 am
      First goal shouldn't be trying to drop his hands. Use the feet - increases reach and reduces reaction time.

Second goal bad positioning. Shouldn't be beaten at that trajectory and placement.

My opinion of course.

Exactly what I noticed for 1st goal. DeGea is brilliant in these situations when he uses his feet so well. Countless no of times where he just stuck his foot to save a certain goal.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #757: Jan 22, 2019 09:46:23 am
      Quick summary on the palace goals;

1st goal well played, great run and fantastic cut back and cracking finish, trent would have struggled to catch zaha, milner had no chance, the trick from our point of view was maybe stop zaha getting a run on milner.

2nd goal, VVD was fouled, but a cracking header.

3rd goal, we were 4-2 up cruising waiting on final whistle, let them have the ball really, then the lad put it away very well.

I always prefer to look at it from an attacking point of view got goals we let in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #758: Jan 22, 2019 10:29:08 am
      Quick summary on the palace goals;

1st goal well played, great run and fantastic cut back and cracking finish, trent would have struggled to catch zaha, milner had no chance, the trick from our point of view was maybe stop zaha getting a run on milner.

2nd goal, VVD was fouled, but a cracking header.

3rd goal, we were 4-2 up cruising waiting on final whistle, let them have the ball really, then the lad put it away very well.

I always prefer to look at it from an attacking point of view got goals we let in.

Whereas I like to look at it from the goalkeeper's point of view. That is his job! :D

Regarding the second goal, it was a looped header that was a couple yards inside the far post. Alisson is covering barely a third of his goal with his positioning and body weight going to his left at time of impact.

Quick Reply