Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pepijn Lijnders confirmed as assistant manager

Read 7804 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Pepijn Lijnders confirmed as assistant manager
      Jan 21, 2019 03:13:15 pm
      Liverpool promote Pepijn Lijnders to assistant manager

DAVID LYNCH

Pepijn Lijnders has taken on the title of assistant manager at Liverpoolfollowing confirmation of Zeljko Buvac's departure from the club.

Buvac made a shock exit from Anfield in the build up to last season's Champions League semi-final second leg meeting with AS Roma, with reports citing 'personal reasons' as the cause.

It was reported earlier this week that Liverpool had reached an agreement with Buvac over his departure, and the Bosnian Serb has now been removed from the first-team staff roster on the club's official website.

That has led to an official promotion for Lijnders, whose role had not been defined following a return from an ill-fated step into management in his native Netherlands.

The 35-year-old, who spent five months in charge of NEC Nijmegen before returning to Anfield ahead of this season, has been given the title of assistant manager.

Lijnders shares that role with Klopp's long-time lieutenant Peter Krawietz, who was previously known as second assistant coach.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool/liverpool-promote-pepijn-lijnders-to-assistant-manager-a4044806.html?amp&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pepijn Lijnders confirmed as assistant manager
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2019 03:15:08 pm

DAVID LYNCH

Pepijn Lijnders has taken on the title of assistant manager at Liverpoolfollowing confirmation of Zeljko Buvac's departure from the club.

Buvac made a shock exit from Anfield in the build up to last season's Champions League semi-final second leg meeting with AS Roma, with reports citing 'personal reasons' as the cause.

It was reported earlier this week that Liverpool had reached an agreement with Buvac over his departure, and the Bosnian Serb has now been removed from the first-team staff roster on the club's official website.

That has led to an official promotion for Lijnders, whose role had not been defined following a return from an ill-fated step into management in his native Netherlands.

The 35-year-old, who spent five months in charge of NEC Nijmegen before returning to Anfield ahead of this season, has been given the title of assistant manager.

Lijnders shares that role with Klopp's long-time lieutenant Peter Krawietz, who was previously known as second assistant coach.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool/liverpool-promote-pepijn-lijnders-to-assistant-manager-a4044806.html?amp&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Good to get this official, but I would still like to find out what exactly happened with Buvac.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2019 03:46:53 pm

DAVID LYNCH

Pepijn Lijnders has taken on the title of assistant manager at Liverpoolfollowing confirmation of Zeljko Buvac's departure from the club.

Good stuff.

Look forward, not back.

Interesting that weā€™re a significantly more layered and nuanced team this year....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2019 06:33:26 pm
      Am I the only one who thought he already was?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2019 06:41:07 pm

No. I think the club were just trying to remain respectful to Buvac and not go official with it until his contract had been settled. But itā€™s been clear as day ever since he returned.

Maybe Buvac wasnā€™t the ā€œbrainsā€ after all, maybe it was Ljinders that we were really missing at times last season. Could explain why this season weā€™ve gone to a whole new level, despite how it was made out we were missing Buvac whenever we didnā€™t win.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2019 06:44:00 pm

yep i thought he was, i guess he now gets to put the  ass man  on his number plates!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2019 06:53:08 pm
      No. I think the club were just trying to remain respectful to Buvac and not go official with it until his contract had been settled. But itā€™s been clear as day ever since he returned.

Maybe Buvac wasnā€™t the ā€œbrainsā€ after all, maybe it was Ljinders that we were really missing at times last season. Could explain why this season weā€™ve gone to a whole new level, despite how it was made out we were missing Buvac whenever we didnā€™t win.

Again I thought everything was settled with Buvac until I came on here today.

Clearly not paying attention.  ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Jan 21, 2019 08:03:03 pm
      Well deserved.

Bloody love hearing him talk football.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Jan 22, 2019 07:17:15 pm
      I hope Buvac goes on to become a manager in his own right. He put in a lot to this club during his time as assistant and I'll always appreciate him for that.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2019 11:29:57 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #9: Jan 22, 2019 11:20:22 pm
      Any word of what happened with Buvac and Klopp? They were friends for decades. Can u imagine what must have happened to end a friendship and business partnership?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Jan 22, 2019 11:46:53 pm
      Any word of what happened with Buvac and Klopp? They were friends for decades. Can u imagine what must have happened to end a friendship and business partnership?

Perhaps JĆ¼rgen caught buvac in bed with adam lallana
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #11: Jan 23, 2019 12:13:55 pm
      Half inched all the Nivea for men from the changies.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #12: Jan 23, 2019 12:27:08 pm
      He was the Assistant just without the title.

Buvac worked with Klopp for years so it will be interesting if it ever comes to light what broke down the relationship, especially given he left when we were on the cusp of a European Cup final.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #13: Jan 23, 2019 12:46:15 pm
      I'm thinking the story behind JĆ¼rgen and Buvac won't come to light until JĆ¼rgen ends his time with us. I'm not going to lie, i am absolutely gutted that Buvac has left but everything happens for a reason. Reminds me of the Pako and Rafa split.

Anyway, we move on and i wish Pepijn all the best during his latest stint with us. Good times ahead, just a shame that Buvac will miss out on all the glory, hope he has made the right decision, somehow though i think he has made a mistake.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #14: Jan 23, 2019 01:41:18 pm
      I wonder if there was some disagreement in the way the team would be setting up, we look to play with a more controlled style now rather than the 100mph press.
      I think JĆ¼rgen realised last season this was not sustainable in the PL esp towards the end of the season and hence we have been more pragmatic in our pressing.

And hence with this mindset maybe Buvac felt moving forward he would have less input.

Just a theory!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15: Jan 23, 2019 01:54:29 pm
      Sabotaged Klopps previous 5 finals by recommending substituting the creative & threatening players..... 😂

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #16: Jan 23, 2019 02:02:41 pm

I heard Buvac didnt return Klopps Box set of Grey's Anatomy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Jan 23, 2019 03:01:05 pm
      I wonder if there was some disagreement in the way the team would be setting up, we look to play with a more controlled style now rather than the 100mph press.
      I think JĆ¼rgen realised last season this was not sustainable in the PL esp towards the end of the season and hence we have been more pragmatic in our pressing.

And hence with this mindset maybe Buvac felt moving forward he would have less input.

Just a theory!

Thought it was because he was being approached about taking the Arsenal job and kept it from Klopp?

Itā€™s hard to say he will be missed because like Coutinho, weā€™ve gotten better since their departures.

Interested to see where he will end up, if itā€™s as an assistant again or a manager.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #18: Jan 23, 2019 03:43:58 pm
      Good luck but he already was :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Jan 23, 2019 06:25:36 pm
      Perhaps JĆ¼rgen caught buvac in bed with adam lallana

In pyjamas ?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20: Jan 24, 2019 11:39:21 am
      He's come a long way since joining as the coach of our u-16's. We're lucky to have him.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #21: Jan 24, 2019 03:14:06 pm
      He's come a long way since joining as the coach of our u-16's. We're lucky to have him.

Yep, I won't mind him taking the reins when JĆ¼rgen leaves.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #22: Jan 24, 2019 06:58:58 pm
      Thought it was because he was being approached about taking the Arsenal job and kept it from Klopp?

That's kind of what I think happened. If you longtime friend is about to go to some opponent and not informs you and maybe even tries to lure players away or to use insider info to his advantage then that's a reason to flip out. Another possibility: Buvac was the main man in the locker room according to Milner, maybe he began to talk bad about JĆ¼rgen behind his back? And then of course as usual the weather could be a factor...you gotta be very upset if your longtime friend moans about the Liverpool weather and wants to leave sooner than later while you are on fire for a misson.

Quick Reply