Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Points on board or Games in hand

Read 19489 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Points on board or Games in hand
      Jan 26, 2019 03:25:42 pm
      As the season ticks down, the fixture list starts growing in importance, as we look to build on the points tally we have. But in a title race, we usually play at different times to our rivals, and our rivals will have games in hand on us soon. Sometimes we play before them, sometimes after them. So which do we prefer?

For me, while I see the advantages of playing first, I prefer to play after the rivals, so we know in advance what result we need to get to keep our advantage, or even increase it, rather than waiting to know if the result we got by playing first, is good enough or not.

In the next 2 games, we play second. People will say it puts us under more pressure. But we will still be top of the league going into the next game, and can restore the current points gap by winning, or even build on it if the other result has gone our way. If it has, I believe it takes some of the pressure to win our next game off us, and is a great position to be in, going into our game later on.

The League Cup Final weekend is the time where rivals start having games in hand, as is the case again this year, which is likely to go all the way to Game 37 of the season. When you're in a favourable position, having games in hand over the opposition are invaluable. When you don't have games in hand, you're often sitting waiting for a favour in the opposition's game in hand, which for multiple reasons, usually doesn't happen. As we know from 2014, when we were hoping for a favour from City's home game in hand, after our result at Palace.

So, does anyone else prefer knowing in advance the size of the task in front of us before kick off?
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2019 03:29:56 pm by lfc across the water »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1640 
      Re: Points on board or Games in hand
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2019 04:03:47 pm
      I think there’s advantages to both, but for me I prefer to play first without having to think about what our rivals have done. Only yourselves to focus on without brining the added pressure of having to respond to a result.

But, I think playing second and responding emphatically or constantly matching your opponents who have played earlier can be what separates the good teams from great and leaves your rival feeling the heat of having to be perfect every single week.

All depends on the mindset of the players imo, any mental weakness and the pressure will tell regardless of if you play before or after.

But for my personal nerves, playing before is better.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2019 04:17:12 pm
      I like it when we play at 3pm on Saturdays.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2019 05:45:13 pm
      Every Prem game in March has been shifted so Man city play the day before us  :mad:
      This includes the Burnely game March 9th.... A game, which was at 3pm on the Saturday, now shifted to Sunday the 10th with a noon kick off.
      I managed to get 4 x tickets for this.
      Me and my wife and our two sons (16 & 20)
      Full hit, with meal beforehand and drinks etc in one of the premier lounges in the new main stand.

We arrive in Liverpool on the Friday and have flights booked for 4.20pm back home on the Sunday from JLA.
      The change of kick off date and time means it'll be a mad rush in the traffic to leave the ground, bang on the final whistle and crawl through the traffic across town to the airport.
      We'll miss out on the post match drinks in the bar and possible meet with some of the LFC legends, an experience my two boys were really looking forward too.
      I'm pretty f**king pissed off about the whole thing and re-structure of our fixtures to be honest.
      I know it's all about the TV rights etc but this has hit us, and i'm sure many others too, in the pocket.

It's our first time ever at Anfield to watch a game as a family and we've saved hard to go, nearly £1,000 with flights and hotel.

Should've not bothered and stayed at home and watched it on BT Sports now :mad:

Maybe I should write to Mr Klopp and see what he says about the whole thing?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2019 06:17:51 pm
      Every Prem game in March has been shifted so Man city play the day before us  :mad:
      This includes the Burnely game March 9th.... A game, which was at 3pm on the Saturday, now shifted to Sunday the 10th with a noon kick off.
      Full hit, with meal beforehand and drinks etc in one of the premier lounges in the new main stand.

We arrive in Liverpool on the Friday and have flights booked for 4.20pm back home on the Sunday from JLA.
      The change of kick off date and time means it'll be a mad rush in the traffic to leave the ground, bang on the final whistle and crawl through the traffic across town to the airport.
      We'll miss out on the post match drinks in the bar and possible meet with some of the LFC legends, an experience my two boys were really looking forward too.
      I'm pretty f**king pissed off about the whole thing and re-structure of our fixtures to be honest.
      I know it's all about the TV rights etc but this has hit us, and i'm sure many others too, in the pocket.

It's our first time ever at Anfield to watch a game as a family and we've saved hard to go, nearly £1,000 with flights and hotel.

ahh sh*t, that's fu**ed up mate.
      Just goes to show, the bigwigs in charge of the Prem don't give a sh*t about ordinary fans, they just care about milking the Premier League brand.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2019 06:36:27 pm

As per normal these time the paying fan is least looked after again.... terrible
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2019 09:14:13 pm
      As long as we keep winning, I couldn’t care less if City have 0 games in hand on us or 5 games in hand. The only time it becomes an issue is if we don’t win.
      We keep winning then it’s irelevant how many games they have in hand because, we don’t have to be looking out or relying on favours because they will still have to win their games in order to keep up. If we keep winning then it doesn’t matter if we play before, after or have to wait for them to catch up on games, because we will still be top regardless.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2019 11:14:39 pm
      Bitters city game in hand and blue bitters won't even try win or draw game that one game count on city going win
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2019 11:16:58 pm
      I think said it we only afford lose two games at most if we going win league, just can't see city lose many games or even draw couple game's
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2019 12:23:16 am
      Points on the board every time.

Get the job done each match.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2019 12:30:33 am
      As long as we keep on winning matches it should not matter when our rivals play.I would rather have points on the board rather than games in hand.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2019 12:45:35 am
      The calmest I’ve been in 29 years in all these years been a few false dawns this somehow feels different , the championship in May can’t wait to sing that song .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2019 10:19:42 am
      I think said it we only afford lose two games at most if we going win league, just can't see city lose many games or even draw couple game's

I think 3 actually. I'm sure City will lose again at some point. I know they have the squad but they look like they're going deep into every tournament this year and that could take it out of them.

For us CL returning will be a bit of a struggle to compete on two fronts. Still not got the squad to fight on more than one front IMO.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2019 12:31:05 pm
      Makes no difference. You have to beat whats in front you be it saturday afternoon or Monday night.

Focus on anything but the team you play next and youll fail
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2019 12:54:54 pm
      I am really not that bothered to be honest, we can only win our games and as long as we do that we'll win the league. It is however vital that we win games when we have a game in hand as that puts extra pressure on Citeh, for example 7 points with a game in hand is more daunting than 4 points and same number of games.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2019 02:16:05 pm
      Points on the board, definitely, 

it puts more pressure on those playing catch up, in this case its City, already 4pts adrift they simply HAVE to win each and every game,  playing first for them is a must win, dropping points invariably increases the gap and therefore increases the pressure next game, playing second can have the same effect as long as the points difference extends when the team above wins, Us obviously ,
      If of course We drop points then that would bolster their confidence give extra incentive to win ,
      There is no extra pressure when leading,  its simply a case of winning that next game,  which will be our aim regardless,  even a draw wouldn't be the worst outcome, we would still retain a two point gap if city got 3pts, but dropping further points subsequently would see the pendulum swing and we become the hunters,

Points on board for me, once you got them you can't lose them !!

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2019 03:00:51 pm
      Points on the board every time.

Get the job done each match.

What MIRO said..
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2019 04:20:34 pm
      No debate points every time
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2019 07:20:46 pm
      Makes no difference. Everyone knows what they have to do. Playing before or after our rivals doesn't change that. We either keep focus and win, or lose focus and lose.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2019 07:33:20 pm

Really unfair on you and somebody ought to be able to provide some kind of relief to you and your family for this, at least the club re whatever is being charged for the various extras on your  match ticket. Maybe some arrangements to help expedite your trip to the airport as well. But as others have noted, it's all about the TV money.

As to the original post - there's no bad side to winning three points, ever, so being able to do it before the others play is preferred.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2019 08:16:22 pm

Gutted for you mate - that’s a shithouse turn of events.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 127 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2019 09:21:42 pm

I am not going to the match, but I can get you to JLA in time if you want. fellow red. Pm me
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 127 
      Reply #22: Jan 27, 2019 09:35:23 pm

I will help if I can, bringing your fambo here should'nt be like that. you can talk to me mate Pm me
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #23: Jan 27, 2019 10:33:14 pm
      Points on the board for me, then hope the others just F**k off!
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #24: Jan 28, 2019 06:08:02 am
      Everton game moved in between Arsenal, Chelsea for city. So now it's Newcastle(A), Arsenal(H), Everton (A), Chelsea(H) in a space of 12 days.

Interesting couple of weeks ahead.  Let's see if the game in hand actually puts them in a good position or f**k them up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Jan 28, 2019 07:25:05 pm
      Everton game moved in between Arsenal, Chelsea for city. So now it's Newcastle(A), Arsenal(H), Everton (A), Chelsea(H) in a space of 12 days.

Interesting couple of weeks ahead.  Let's see if the game in hand actually puts them in a good position or f**k them up.

That is a tough sequence of matches.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #26: Jan 28, 2019 08:07:41 pm
      That is a tough sequence of matches.

Have the squad to cope..
      Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #27: Jan 28, 2019 08:12:59 pm

You should let the club know, may be they can do something for you before the game for your boys to meet whoever.
      Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #28: Jan 28, 2019 08:20:10 pm
      Points on the board for me, you can't get more than 3 points for any win..bird in the hand etc..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #29: Jan 28, 2019 09:11:01 pm
      Points on the board for me too, keeps the wolf from the door ! too much pressure and hype leading up to a game in hand which unnerves me. I've seen us cock so many chances up with games in hand over the years and I don't want that to happen again, ever !!

win win and keep winning..

Like Redrum on the final straight of the Grand National

Thanks for all your comments regarding the Burnely game rescheduled kick off time fiasco.
      I've calmed down a bit now. ;D
      Still believe it will be one spiritual return to Anfield for me and an Anfield baptism of fire for my family.
      Just a pity we've gotta shoot off pretty much straight after the final whistle.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2019 09:18:10 pm by 6stringer »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #30: Jan 29, 2019 07:54:10 pm
      Quote from Gill95

It's actually us that will have the game in hand from it. The bad news is, it's away to the mancs. But at least, we'll know what result we need going into the game.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #31: Jan 29, 2019 09:57:36 pm
      Both!!!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #32: Jan 30, 2019 12:47:57 am
      Always been points on the board for me, or in cities case, points off the board.
      4 ahead now, could be 7 tomorrow. If city had won, and were just 1 behind, the pressure would be huge going for a win.  Now, the lads can relax a bit, play their own game, and know whatever the outcome it can’t be less than 4 ahead.
      No room for complacency, but a lot of pressure lifted.
      although I don’t like these long breaks, I’m hoping we get straight back at it, fluent smooth aggressive footy, with a solid back line.
      Rauscious crowd, and grab the three points.
      Come on you mighty Red Men 😁
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Jan 30, 2019 12:50:39 am
      F***ing BOTH!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Jan 30, 2019 10:32:37 am
      How about both...

Oh snap
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #35: Jan 31, 2019 12:56:35 pm
      So before our game, we knew what result we needed to extend our lead, and despite the response after it, we extended it.

If we played first and got the same result though, there would have been meltdown.
      Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #36: Jan 31, 2019 01:55:53 pm
      So before our game, we knew what result we needed to extend our lead, and despite the response after it, we extended it.

If we played first and got the same result though, there would have been meltdown.

Taking the positives is the only way to go. Conditions and injuries, form of one or two, but we increased our lead. City have shown several times already that they are not immune to poor form or unbeatable. Still in the balance, every one of those 5 points will be needed.
      loadsamane
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 03, 2019 08:28:15 pm
      In my opinion its all about getting points on the board and asking questions of the others.

It means that you've delivered, but they still need to do a job.

Id rather set the tempo then try and match it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Feb 03, 2019 10:04:52 pm
      Having City play before us, I can definitely say I’d rather have the points than the game in hand...I’m a nervous wreck!
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #39: Feb 06, 2019 08:03:07 pm
      It's unfortunate every week we seem to get new injuries. Now gini and hendo are very doubtful for weekend. We don't have the depth of city who now despite playing 2/3times a week have everyone fit. You look at our bench Monday and there bench tonight. De bryne sterling mahrez and jesus all can only get a place on the bench. I still live in hope but it be difficult if our injured players are not back soon. Anyway three points sat. Can't expect anything tonight and espically with Everton three best players given the night off
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      Reply #40: Feb 06, 2019 08:20:49 pm
      Unless we buck up we will have neither
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #41: Feb 06, 2019 09:42:05 pm
      Should we change it to games in hand now?  :mad: :mad:
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #42: Feb 06, 2019 09:44:54 pm
      Least now we no have to win them all. Can't see where city will slip up. Even there fkn bench looks frightening
      Kopite78
      Reply #43: Feb 06, 2019 10:40:07 pm
      Least now we no have to win them all. Can't see where city will slip up. Even there fkn bench looks frightening

Newcastle
      Leicester
      Crystal palace
      Chelsea

🤷‍♂️

F***ing get into it and enjoy it . Surely you'd rather this than be in 8th with F**k all to play for
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #44: Feb 06, 2019 10:47:17 pm
      Newcastle
      Leicester
      Crystal palace
      Chelsea

🤷‍♂️

F***ing get into it and enjoy it . Surely you'd rather this than be in 8th with f**k all to play for

Don’t understand our fan base crying out we should be challenging for the league and as soon as we do it’s F***ing moaning all the way  :D
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #45: Feb 07, 2019 07:52:17 pm
      Now we're the ones with the game in hand. Let's make it count.

We may not be top but unlike our rivals,  our destiny is still in our own hands.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #46: Feb 07, 2019 08:21:24 pm
      We deffo need a win on Sat so we go from game in hand to points on the board again. More important is a defining win. A good team performance and a big comfortable win, preferably with a clean sheet.
      Not firing up top, disjointed midfield and a poor defence ! We need a convincing win to get the confidence up again, because if we go to macs with our heads down and a lack of confidence we will get hammered. That will probably be good buy to the title.
      If ever there was a must win game, for  lots of reasons apart from the 3 points, this is it.

Lallana isn't the answer  to our midfield, Millie isn't the answer to r back ( although he may fare better against Bournemouth) and if Bob has another mare, he has to go off a lot earlier before any damage is done.  It seems Mane is the only one who hasn't been adversely affected by our current injury crop. Doesn't look like any of the walking wounded will be available on Sat either, so options are a bit limited .
      Matip is really the only answer to go in at C Back wit VVD unless we play the youngster in there again, but he looks all over the place. In mid field I think Lallana just doesn't cut it, and hasn't since his return from injury, but neither has shaq apart from the odd few occasions. They both seem to have loads of energy, loads of running in them, but very little end product most of the time.
      Bottom line is, we are in a pretty poor state compared to December, and the confidence looks shot to pieces.  Even though we can still go top, its looking like a huge task to stay there until our sick bay is cleared.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #47: Feb 08, 2019 03:32:34 am
      Don’t understand our fan base crying out we should be challenging for the league and as soon as we do it’s f**king moaning all the way  :D

I miss the days of us being 8th and all.......

Just kidding.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #48: Feb 18, 2019 06:17:11 pm
      We have 5 games to play before the international break, the rivals have 3. So winning all 5 games would allow us the chance to open a 6 point gap, going into the run in.

Maybe then some fans, and the pundits will take our challenge seriously.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #49: Mar 22, 2019 08:58:24 am
      We took 11 points from 15 and are back on top again.

The rivals will have a game in hand on us until they have played Game 36. So we have 5 chances to ask them questions and see how they respond.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #50: Mar 22, 2019 01:35:32 pm
      If we win our next three, we will be favorites in  my opinion.

That would be our only two remaining games against Big Six opposition out of the way and a very tricky trip to Southampton done.

City will then go into a two week period with three games against Spurs, United away and two difficult trips to Palace and Burnley.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #51: Mar 22, 2019 02:12:14 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #52: Mar 22, 2019 03:45:52 pm
      I mean, points on the board can't be taken off (well, unless you do something really screwball) but you sure can screw up a game in hand.

I'll take the points.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #53: Mar 22, 2019 03:50:26 pm
      It does really all depend on the situation.

I mean say we were playing Wolves on the last day two points behind and City had all their games played.

I'd bite your hand off for that right now.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #54: Mar 22, 2019 04:31:31 pm
      If we win our next three, we will be favorites in  my opinion.

That would be our only two remaining games against Big Six opposition out of the way and a very tricky trip to Southampton done.

City will then go into a two week period with three games against Spurs, United away and two difficult trips to Palace and Burnley.
      Burnley difficult for city😂😂😂
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #55: Mar 22, 2019 04:53:37 pm
      Burnley difficult for city😂😂😂

Burnley who beat Spurs there? Burnley who went to Old Trafford and drew?

Burnley who drew with City there last season when City got 100 points?

Wouldn't call it easy mate.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #56: Mar 23, 2019 09:34:46 am
      Burnley who beat Spurs there? Burnley who went to Old Trafford and drew?

Burnley who drew with City there last season when City got 100 points?

Wouldn't call it easy mate.
      I would, City are on another level than Spurs etc... they are on Barcelona and PSG level etc... No result is 100%, but it's like Brazil v Panama in terms of quality. It's about time FA stopped clubs from being like City, eventually we could be like SPL and same team winning every season.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #57: Mar 23, 2019 10:08:27 am
      I would, City are on another level than Spurs etc... they are on Barcelona and PSG level etc... No result is 100%, but it's like Brazil v Panama in terms of quality. It's about time FA stopped clubs from being like City, eventually we could be like SPL and same team winning every season.

They’re a great side but they’ve still lost to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle this season.

No reason why Burnley or Palace (again) couldn’t take points off them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Mar 23, 2019 12:11:06 pm

If Citeh are so good how do you explain the games they have lost this season? Whatever answer you give apply that to their remaining games and explain how it won't happen again.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #59: Mar 23, 2019 06:40:40 pm
      If Citeh are so good how do you explain the games they have lost this season? Whatever answer you give apply that to their remaining games and explain how it won't happen again.
      Think we will drop points as well before season over so think city will have to drop points in two games. But who knows. I think spurs might take a point off them.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #60: Mar 24, 2019 09:07:53 pm
      It does really all depend on the situation.

I mean say we were playing Wolves on the last day two points behind and City had all their games played.

I'd bite your hand off for that right now.

Mate, I hope it doesn't come down to that, shitting myself already about that Wolves game. Hope it's dead and buried by then and we are already crowned Champions!
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #61: Mar 25, 2019 04:52:07 pm
      I think you’d rather be the team who is in control of the race. I don’t think it necessarily matters whether you have the points in the bag or have the games in hand to get you the points to take you to the top (although this does bring a bit more pressure). I’d rather be in City’s position with a game in hand to take them clear at the top than our position at the moment, we can only hope the pressure gets too much for them.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #62: Mar 25, 2019 06:07:20 pm
      Mate, I hope it doesn't come down to that, shitting myself already about that Wolves game. Hope it's dead and buried by then and we are already crowned Champions!

Think it's going to go down to the wire personally, but, the 3 games city have against spurs and then Man u might swing it our way.

Fingers crossed.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #63: Mar 25, 2019 06:24:17 pm
      If we win all our games we will be Champions of England ,Europe and then the World.
      We just need to keep the pressure on City and if they will all of their games then so be it
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #64: Mar 25, 2019 06:28:36 pm
      If we win all our games we can’t ask no more of the team , I’d rather City Fck up sooner rather than later though ,
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,998 posts | 223 
      Reply #65: Mar 27, 2019 08:57:37 pm

that why i want wolves to make it to the FA cup final, they have a great chance to make it and i'm sure their would be a lot of changes with players being put into cotton wool when playing us
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #66: Mar 28, 2019 10:50:53 pm
      that why i want wolves to make it to the FA cup final, they have a great chance to make it and i'm sure their would be a lot of changes with players being put into cotton wool when playing us

Fingers crossed mate.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #67: Jul 01, 2019 03:53:32 pm
      After the experience during the season run in, of having the points in the bag and waiting for results we couldn't influence and didn't materialise, I wonder if some have changed their view and would prefer to have the games in hand now?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Jul 01, 2019 04:03:58 pm
      After the experience during the season run in, of having the points in the bag and waiting for results we couldn't influence and didn't materialise, I wonder if some have changed their view and would prefer to have the games in hand now?

No, points on board always better.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #69: Jul 02, 2019 09:28:28 am
      Points...All day & every day, once you got them we can't lose them...there is absolutely no guarantee of winning any games in hand....Simples !!

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6940 
      Reply #70: Jul 02, 2019 09:41:03 am

With the Club World Cup on the horizon then basically we're going to have to put up with the games in hand.  Likely that we'll have a couple of them even as winter is coming to an end.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #71: Aug 13, 2021 07:56:56 pm
      It worked out well. 14 points clear and a game in hand going into the new year that season was great. When we won the game in hand, we went 19 points clear and won the league.

Last year, we put 6 points on the board before City played a game. But they had a game in hand for months and nobody could match them. For me anyway, it's agony sitting through rival teams games depending on favours, and not having our destiny in our own hands.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #72: Aug 13, 2021 09:11:59 pm
      It worked out well. 14 points clear and a game in hand going into the new year that season was great. When we won the game in hand, we went 19 points clear and won the league.

Last year, we put 6 points on the board before City played a game. But they had a game in hand for months and nobody could match them. For me anyway, it's agony sitting through rival teams games depending on favours, and not having our destiny in our own hands.

But when they lost to Chavs, it was euphoria  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      Reply #73: Aug 16, 2021 10:32:17 am
      Depends on the situation your in.

If your 4 points behind with 2 games in hand your all for the games in hand.

If your 4 points shead with 2 more games played then your all for having the points already bagged

If your 6 behind with 2 games in hand or 6 ahead with 2 more games played then your all for the goal differences
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #74: Aug 16, 2021 11:06:14 am
      Depends on the situation your in.

If your 4 points behind with 2 games in hand your all for the games in hand.

If your 4 points shead with 2 more games played then your all for having the points already bagged

If your 6 behind with 2 games in hand or 6 ahead with 2 more games played then your all for the goal differences

Agree Bri but general I always find best to have the points on the board as it human nature for most to count games in hand as wins when the games haven't been played yet and no one really knows how they'll go
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #75: Aug 22, 2021 01:46:32 pm
      Quote from GERNS
      when they lost to Chavs, it was euphoria  ;D

It was great when the final whistle went, sure. The 2 hours beforehand and counting the minutes left, less so. Admittedly I only watched bits and pieces of the game live. I don't watch City games as seeing them in full flight ripping cannon fodder to shreds, genuinely scares me. So the only time I watch them play is when we have to. Even then, I only have a certain level of patience. I know what I should do so you can spare me the lectures but I'm sorry, watching them rack up 3-4-5 goal leads against us with De Bruyne and co running amok, is just too much for me to stomach at the time.

Because they play so many cup games, they often have games in hand on us in the run in. That means we're usually praying for favours, which usually don't happen. With 7 games still to go, our fate was still in our own hands, so we didn't need a favour from Chelsea that night, but obviously we'll take them when we get them.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #76: Mar 30, 2022 03:11:25 pm
      Ever since the 2018-19 season, having games  in hand has been a key factor in title races.

In 2018-19, we lost top spot after the derby. For the rest of the season, City had a game in hand on us every week, so they knew exactly what they needed to do to keep their advantage. So we won all our games, then sat and waited patiently for them to drop points week after week after week. Our last chance came when Leicester went there and for 70 minutes they kept them out. Then we had to wait another year to bring it home.

The new season started 3 months later, and we played first in most of the early weeks. After 2 weeks we were top with a 2 point advantage. By the October break, it was 8 points. By the November break it was 9 points. Then we set off to win the World Cup, and we came home with the trophy, a 14 point lead and a game in hand over City and everyone else. After we played the game in hand, it was 19 points, a lead that even they couldn't claw back. It was 25 points by the time the thirty years of pain were over.

Our mission to defend it last year kicked off with 2 games to play before City's first game. They had a game in hand from Day 1, but we were 6 points clear of them by the end of September. By Christmas, they still had the game in hand but we were 5 points clear. But as we had a very unhappy new year, the game in hand they had grew in significance. When they got round to playing it, they won as expected and as we were already 10 points back, we had no answer. But we had games in hand on the teams around us in the race for fourth, and it counted. Winning the last 5 of the season was enough to win the race and salvage some respectability for the year.

This season has seen multiple games postponed across the league, and we've had a game in hand in the title race since Christmas. Initially it allowed City to build up a 14 point lead, and everyone who was anyone called the title race there and then, including our own. We still had 18 league games to play, nobody gave us a prayer, and the bookies started to pay out. After all, nobody could see City dropping points apparantly. As we cut into that lead, our game in hand has gained in importance. We won it 6-0 to overtake City on goal difference. Then we got another game for the League Cup Final, and in 9 games the 27 points we've won, has put us within striking distance with 27 more up for grabs.

People tell me it's better to have the points on the board but the truth is, sitting around waiting for rivals to drop points ​is awful, and us having the game in hand this season has put more pressure on City on the pitch, and now that we've taken advantage of it, hopefully it will give us the platform to win No. 20.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #77: Mar 30, 2022 09:50:21 pm
      Think points on the board, though if you’ve got games in hand, it really does depend on the fixture. Top side or cannon fodder 🤷‍♂️
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      Reply #78: Mar 30, 2022 10:49:37 pm
      For now games in hand. 2.30 Saturday points on board
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Mar 31, 2022 10:41:59 am
      holy crap have we ever had a run of games like this following Watford.
      Benfica away
      City  away
      Benfica Home
      City Wembley
      Utd Home.
      I think a few of us need to get to the Doctors soon and stock up on the Meds its going to be brutal on the nerves
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,841 posts | 401 
      Reply #80: Mar 31, 2022 11:19:36 am
      Benfica away
      City  away
      Benfica Home
      City Wembley
      Utd Home.
      I think a few of us need to get to the Doctors soon and stock up on the Meds its going to be brutal on the nerves

Not going to lie I've enjoyed the stress free week the international break brought. I know a few of our lads had huge games for their countries and Mo suffered a huge disappointment but from my perspective its now back down to business.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #81: Mar 31, 2022 11:42:40 am
      Benfica away
      City  away
      Benfica Home
      City Wembley
      Utd Home.

Comes with the territory of being successful, and if ever the players needed their minds focussed then put that list up on the wall , can guarantee one thing them teams are not too happy about our name being on their list ,

Quick Reply