Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Points on board or Games in hand

Read 19386 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Points on board or Games in hand
      Jan 26, 2019 03:25:42 pm
      As the season ticks down, the fixture list starts growing in importance, as we look to build on the points tally we have. But in a title race, we usually play at different times to our rivals, and our rivals will have games in hand on us soon. Sometimes we play before them, sometimes after them. So which do we prefer?

For me, while I see the advantages of playing first, I prefer to play after the rivals, so we know in advance what result we need to get to keep our advantage, or even increase it, rather than waiting to know if the result we got by playing first, is good enough or not.

In the next 2 games, we play second. People will say it puts us under more pressure. But we will still be top of the league going into the next game, and can restore the current points gap by winning, or even build on it if the other result has gone our way. If it has, I believe it takes some of the pressure to win our next game off us, and is a great position to be in, going into our game later on.

The League Cup Final weekend is the time where rivals start having games in hand, as is the case again this year, which is likely to go all the way to Game 37 of the season. When you're in a favourable position, having games in hand over the opposition are invaluable. When you don't have games in hand, you're often sitting waiting for a favour in the opposition's game in hand, which for multiple reasons, usually doesn't happen. As we know from 2014, when we were hoping for a favour from City's home game in hand, after our result at Palace.

So, does anyone else prefer knowing in advance the size of the task in front of us before kick off?
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2019 03:29:56 pm by lfc across the water »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Points on board or Games in hand
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2019 04:03:47 pm
      I think there’s advantages to both, but for me I prefer to play first without having to think about what our rivals have done. Only yourselves to focus on without brining the added pressure of having to respond to a result.

But, I think playing second and responding emphatically or constantly matching your opponents who have played earlier can be what separates the good teams from great and leaves your rival feeling the heat of having to be perfect every single week.

All depends on the mindset of the players imo, any mental weakness and the pressure will tell regardless of if you play before or after.

But for my personal nerves, playing before is better.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2019 04:17:12 pm
      I like it when we play at 3pm on Saturdays.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2019 05:45:13 pm
      Every Prem game in March has been shifted so Man city play the day before us  :mad:
      This includes the Burnely game March 9th.... A game, which was at 3pm on the Saturday, now shifted to Sunday the 10th with a noon kick off.
      I managed to get 4 x tickets for this.
      Me and my wife and our two sons (16 & 20)
      Full hit, with meal beforehand and drinks etc in one of the premier lounges in the new main stand.

We arrive in Liverpool on the Friday and have flights booked for 4.20pm back home on the Sunday from JLA.
      The change of kick off date and time means it'll be a mad rush in the traffic to leave the ground, bang on the final whistle and crawl through the traffic across town to the airport.
      We'll miss out on the post match drinks in the bar and possible meet with some of the LFC legends, an experience my two boys were really looking forward too.
      I'm pretty f**king pissed off about the whole thing and re-structure of our fixtures to be honest.
      I know it's all about the TV rights etc but this has hit us, and i'm sure many others too, in the pocket.

It's our first time ever at Anfield to watch a game as a family and we've saved hard to go, nearly £1,000 with flights and hotel.

Should've not bothered and stayed at home and watched it on BT Sports now :mad:

Maybe I should write to Mr Klopp and see what he says about the whole thing?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2019 06:17:51 pm
      Every Prem game in March has been shifted so Man city play the day before us  :mad:
      This includes the Burnely game March 9th.... A game, which was at 3pm on the Saturday, now shifted to Sunday the 10th with a noon kick off.
      Full hit, with meal beforehand and drinks etc in one of the premier lounges in the new main stand.

We arrive in Liverpool on the Friday and have flights booked for 4.20pm back home on the Sunday from JLA.
      The change of kick off date and time means it'll be a mad rush in the traffic to leave the ground, bang on the final whistle and crawl through the traffic across town to the airport.
      We'll miss out on the post match drinks in the bar and possible meet with some of the LFC legends, an experience my two boys were really looking forward too.
      I'm pretty f**king pissed off about the whole thing and re-structure of our fixtures to be honest.
      I know it's all about the TV rights etc but this has hit us, and i'm sure many others too, in the pocket.

It's our first time ever at Anfield to watch a game as a family and we've saved hard to go, nearly £1,000 with flights and hotel.

ahh sh*t, that's fu**ed up mate.
      Just goes to show, the bigwigs in charge of the Prem don't give a sh*t about ordinary fans, they just care about milking the Premier League brand.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2019 06:36:27 pm

As per normal these time the paying fan is least looked after again.... terrible
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2019 09:14:13 pm
      As long as we keep winning, I couldn’t care less if City have 0 games in hand on us or 5 games in hand. The only time it becomes an issue is if we don’t win.
      We keep winning then it’s irelevant how many games they have in hand because, we don’t have to be looking out or relying on favours because they will still have to win their games in order to keep up. If we keep winning then it doesn’t matter if we play before, after or have to wait for them to catch up on games, because we will still be top regardless.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2019 11:14:39 pm
      Bitters city game in hand and blue bitters won't even try win or draw game that one game count on city going win
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2019 11:16:58 pm
      I think said it we only afford lose two games at most if we going win league, just can't see city lose many games or even draw couple game's
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2019 12:23:16 am
      Points on the board every time.

Get the job done each match.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2019 12:30:33 am
      As long as we keep on winning matches it should not matter when our rivals play.I would rather have points on the board rather than games in hand.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2019 12:45:35 am
      The calmest I’ve been in 29 years in all these years been a few false dawns this somehow feels different , the championship in May can’t wait to sing that song .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2019 10:19:42 am
      I think said it we only afford lose two games at most if we going win league, just can't see city lose many games or even draw couple game's

I think 3 actually. I'm sure City will lose again at some point. I know they have the squad but they look like they're going deep into every tournament this year and that could take it out of them.

For us CL returning will be a bit of a struggle to compete on two fronts. Still not got the squad to fight on more than one front IMO.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2019 12:31:05 pm
      Makes no difference. You have to beat whats in front you be it saturday afternoon or Monday night.

Focus on anything but the team you play next and youll fail
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2019 12:54:54 pm
      I am really not that bothered to be honest, we can only win our games and as long as we do that we'll win the league. It is however vital that we win games when we have a game in hand as that puts extra pressure on Citeh, for example 7 points with a game in hand is more daunting than 4 points and same number of games.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2019 02:16:05 pm
      Points on the board, definitely, 

it puts more pressure on those playing catch up, in this case its City, already 4pts adrift they simply HAVE to win each and every game,  playing first for them is a must win, dropping points invariably increases the gap and therefore increases the pressure next game, playing second can have the same effect as long as the points difference extends when the team above wins, Us obviously ,
      If of course We drop points then that would bolster their confidence give extra incentive to win ,
      There is no extra pressure when leading,  its simply a case of winning that next game,  which will be our aim regardless,  even a draw wouldn't be the worst outcome, we would still retain a two point gap if city got 3pts, but dropping further points subsequently would see the pendulum swing and we become the hunters,

Points on board for me, once you got them you can't lose them !!

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2019 03:00:51 pm
      Points on the board every time.

Get the job done each match.

What MIRO said..
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2019 04:20:34 pm
      No debate points every time
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2019 07:20:46 pm
      Makes no difference. Everyone knows what they have to do. Playing before or after our rivals doesn't change that. We either keep focus and win, or lose focus and lose.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2019 07:33:20 pm

Really unfair on you and somebody ought to be able to provide some kind of relief to you and your family for this, at least the club re whatever is being charged for the various extras on your  match ticket. Maybe some arrangements to help expedite your trip to the airport as well. But as others have noted, it's all about the TV money.

As to the original post - there's no bad side to winning three points, ever, so being able to do it before the others play is preferred.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2019 08:16:22 pm

Gutted for you mate - that’s a shithouse turn of events.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2019 09:21:42 pm

I am not going to the match, but I can get you to JLA in time if you want. fellow red. Pm me
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #22: Jan 27, 2019 09:35:23 pm

I will help if I can, bringing your fambo here should'nt be like that. you can talk to me mate Pm me

Quick Reply