Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Points on board or Games in hand

Read 19387 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Points on board or Games in hand
      Reply #69: Jul 02, 2019 09:28:28 am
      Points...All day & every day, once you got them we can't lose them...there is absolutely no guarantee of winning any games in hand....Simples !!

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #70: Jul 02, 2019 09:41:03 am
      After the experience during the season run in, of having the points in the bag and waiting for results we couldn't influence and didn't materialise, I wonder if some have changed their view and would prefer to have the games in hand now?

With the Club World Cup on the horizon then basically we're going to have to put up with the games in hand.  Likely that we'll have a couple of them even as winter is coming to an end.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #71: Aug 13, 2021 07:56:56 pm
      It worked out well. 14 points clear and a game in hand going into the new year that season was great. When we won the game in hand, we went 19 points clear and won the league.

Last year, we put 6 points on the board before City played a game. But they had a game in hand for months and nobody could match them. For me anyway, it's agony sitting through rival teams games depending on favours, and not having our destiny in our own hands.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #72: Aug 13, 2021 09:11:59 pm
      It worked out well. 14 points clear and a game in hand going into the new year that season was great. When we won the game in hand, we went 19 points clear and won the league.

Last year, we put 6 points on the board before City played a game. But they had a game in hand for months and nobody could match them. For me anyway, it's agony sitting through rival teams games depending on favours, and not having our destiny in our own hands.

But when they lost to Chavs, it was euphoria  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #73: Aug 16, 2021 10:32:17 am
      Depends on the situation your in.

If your 4 points behind with 2 games in hand your all for the games in hand.

If your 4 points shead with 2 more games played then your all for having the points already bagged

If your 6 behind with 2 games in hand or 6 ahead with 2 more games played then your all for the goal differences
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4879 
      Reply #74: Aug 16, 2021 11:06:14 am
      Depends on the situation your in.

If your 4 points behind with 2 games in hand your all for the games in hand.

If your 4 points shead with 2 more games played then your all for having the points already bagged

If your 6 behind with 2 games in hand or 6 ahead with 2 more games played then your all for the goal differences

Agree Bri but general I always find best to have the points on the board as it human nature for most to count games in hand as wins when the games haven't been played yet and no one really knows how they'll go
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #75: Aug 22, 2021 01:46:32 pm
      Quote from GERNS
      when they lost to Chavs, it was euphoria  ;D

It was great when the final whistle went, sure. The 2 hours beforehand and counting the minutes left, less so. Admittedly I only watched bits and pieces of the game live. I don't watch City games as seeing them in full flight ripping cannon fodder to shreds, genuinely scares me. So the only time I watch them play is when we have to. Even then, I only have a certain level of patience. I know what I should do so you can spare me the lectures but I'm sorry, watching them rack up 3-4-5 goal leads against us with De Bruyne and co running amok, is just too much for me to stomach at the time.

Because they play so many cup games, they often have games in hand on us in the run in. That means we're usually praying for favours, which usually don't happen. With 7 games still to go, our fate was still in our own hands, so we didn't need a favour from Chelsea that night, but obviously we'll take them when we get them.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #76: Mar 30, 2022 03:11:25 pm
      Ever since the 2018-19 season, having games  in hand has been a key factor in title races.

In 2018-19, we lost top spot after the derby. For the rest of the season, City had a game in hand on us every week, so they knew exactly what they needed to do to keep their advantage. So we won all our games, then sat and waited patiently for them to drop points week after week after week. Our last chance came when Leicester went there and for 70 minutes they kept them out. Then we had to wait another year to bring it home.

The new season started 3 months later, and we played first in most of the early weeks. After 2 weeks we were top with a 2 point advantage. By the October break, it was 8 points. By the November break it was 9 points. Then we set off to win the World Cup, and we came home with the trophy, a 14 point lead and a game in hand over City and everyone else. After we played the game in hand, it was 19 points, a lead that even they couldn't claw back. It was 25 points by the time the thirty years of pain were over.

Our mission to defend it last year kicked off with 2 games to play before City's first game. They had a game in hand from Day 1, but we were 6 points clear of them by the end of September. By Christmas, they still had the game in hand but we were 5 points clear. But as we had a very unhappy new year, the game in hand they had grew in significance. When they got round to playing it, they won as expected and as we were already 10 points back, we had no answer. But we had games in hand on the teams around us in the race for fourth, and it counted. Winning the last 5 of the season was enough to win the race and salvage some respectability for the year.

This season has seen multiple games postponed across the league, and we've had a game in hand in the title race since Christmas. Initially it allowed City to build up a 14 point lead, and everyone who was anyone called the title race there and then, including our own. We still had 18 league games to play, nobody gave us a prayer, and the bookies started to pay out. After all, nobody could see City dropping points apparantly. As we cut into that lead, our game in hand has gained in importance. We won it 6-0 to overtake City on goal difference. Then we got another game for the League Cup Final, and in 9 games the 27 points we've won, has put us within striking distance with 27 more up for grabs.

People tell me it's better to have the points on the board but the truth is, sitting around waiting for rivals to drop points ​is awful, and us having the game in hand this season has put more pressure on City on the pitch, and now that we've taken advantage of it, hopefully it will give us the platform to win No. 20.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #77: Mar 30, 2022 09:50:21 pm
      Think points on the board, though if you’ve got games in hand, it really does depend on the fixture. Top side or cannon fodder 🤷‍♂️
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #78: Mar 30, 2022 10:49:37 pm
      For now games in hand. 2.30 Saturday points on board
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Mar 31, 2022 10:41:59 am
      holy crap have we ever had a run of games like this following Watford.
      Benfica away
      City  away
      Benfica Home
      City Wembley
      Utd Home.
      I think a few of us need to get to the Doctors soon and stock up on the Meds its going to be brutal on the nerves
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,612 posts | 366 
      Reply #80: Mar 31, 2022 11:19:36 am
      Benfica away
      City  away
      Benfica Home
      City Wembley
      Utd Home.
      I think a few of us need to get to the Doctors soon and stock up on the Meds its going to be brutal on the nerves

Not going to lie I've enjoyed the stress free week the international break brought. I know a few of our lads had huge games for their countries and Mo suffered a huge disappointment but from my perspective its now back down to business.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #81: Mar 31, 2022 11:42:40 am
      Benfica away
      City  away
      Benfica Home
      City Wembley
      Utd Home.

Comes with the territory of being successful, and if ever the players needed their minds focussed then put that list up on the wall , can guarantee one thing them teams are not too happy about our name being on their list ,

Quick Reply