Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson
      6 (5.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      8 (7.6%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (4.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (1.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      15 (14.3%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĂŻta
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      64 (61%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1%)
       Fabinho
      2 (1.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: Feb 03, 2019 09:54:07 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32034 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Jan 31, 2019 07:56:46 am
      About the 2 points dropped, at least we opened up the gap. When we can't take the full points, the next best outcome is to put points between us and second. We did it. It's not the perfect outcome, but one more point is still positive.

How can opening up the gap by one point be negative? Yes we will always want more, but today isn't perfect. At least we put one more point between ourselves and City.

They can go F**k themselves celebrating that they're further back behind.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #691: Jan 31, 2019 08:08:44 am
      Anybody who thinks we were just going to win every single match for the rest of the season need their head examined.

Indeed.  I think we'll win about 10 of our next 14 for what its worth (so thus not winning 4), so if some people aren't prepared to handle some results not going our way then you should maybe book yourself a four month cruise, come back in May and we'll let you know what happened.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #692: Jan 31, 2019 08:13:13 am
      Stats are interesting to a degree but need to be kept in context.

In this case the “expected goals” doesn’t really reflect the game.

Yes they had a couple of dangerous flurries but we were always more likely despite being lacklustre.

Coaches will tell you that stats help them notice things / patterns they missed in the game.

Jürgen hasn’t walked away saying “phew got away with one tonight did you see their expected goals tally, whooft - thank f**k we got a point!”

We were flat after 20 mins and struggled to zip it about effectively. I suspect the VVD ill rumour has masked a virus going round. Too many players were blowing out their hoops and slow on turn.

VVD had his poorest game - Robbo was leggy throughout etc etc.

Take the point and back to the training ground.

We end Jan 5 pts clear and 14 to go and City have a tough run coming up.

That’s us 4.5 weeks away from an insane December which must’ve absolutely stretched energy reserves to put us in this position.

Players coming back from injury will help the balance. Good options in midfield - though we absolutely do miss a Fekir type.

We’re a great team having a “
      “slight” lull. It’ll be over very soon.

Don’t agree with the we were more likely.

They created the clearer cut chances and the stats back that up, see that’s the issue with the eye test and the stats will remove that inherent bias as we all tend tend to see things through which ever colour specs are being worn.

We didn’t create anything of note in that second half. Puel seems to have a good record against Klopp, his kryptonite almost.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #693: Jan 31, 2019 08:15:03 am
      Two people have voted for Matip as MOM seriously just Fxxk off

Interesting how people see things differently when watching a game.

I thought Matip had an excellent game, he made vital interceptions and blocks, made good runs trying to get things moving all whilst on a yellow card that he had to take because of Hendos wild back heel that caught us out.

I voted him man of the match as well.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #694: Jan 31, 2019 08:15:33 am
      Indeed.  I think we'll win about 10 of our next 14 for what its worth (so thus not winning 4), so if some people aren't prepared to handle some results not going our way then you should maybe book yourself a four month cruise, come back in May and we'll let you know what happened.

I think the problem (for some) is that they swallow the media hype and think we’ll fall short unless hit the levels / points that Citeh did last season.

The goal is to get more points than anyone else THIS season.

5 point lead is good for me.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #695: Jan 31, 2019 08:17:07 am
      The more I think about it the more I feel better.

It was a pressure game and Leicester were quite frankly excellent.

I personally think it could be a wake up call too - hopefully shifting some mindsets, including the manager.

Maybe an away game is just the ticket we need and hopefully we go to West Ham with something to prove.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #696: Jan 31, 2019 08:17:12 am
      Don’t agree with the we were more likely.

They created the clearer cut chances and the stats back that up, see that’s the issue with the eye test and the stats will remove that inherent bias as we all tend tend to see things through which ever colour specs are being worn.

We didn’t create anything of note in that second half. Puel seems to have a good record against Klopp, his kryptonite almost.

Fair enough - I disagree with your reason / reading of the game that informs your disagreement.

I positively endorse the fact that you disagree though ;)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #697: Jan 31, 2019 08:20:41 am
      Surprised Van Dijk isn't taking any flack. That was his worse performance in a Liverpool top, lost his man for the first goal and just didn't seem at the races last night.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #698: Jan 31, 2019 08:24:33 am
      Surprised Van Dijk isn't taking any flack. That was his worse performance in a Liverpool top, lost his man for the first goal and just didn't seem at the races last night.

He has been ill. No one is perfect. Besides he saved us time and again before this. Just wise up henceforth will do.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #699: Jan 31, 2019 08:24:49 am

Has been our best and most consistent player all season so he has a bit of credit in the bank. I wouldn’t be surprised if the illness he was carrying may have affected him to some extent.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #700: Jan 31, 2019 08:26:58 am
      He has been ill. No one is perfect. Besides he saved us time and again before this. Just wise up henceforth will do.

Has been our best and most consistent player all season so he has a bit of credit in the bank. I wouldn’t be surprised if the illness he was carrying may have affected him to some extent.

I appreciate this and I hold no ill feelings towards him because of this specific performance. Just surprised no one mentioned it, as it stood out for me.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #701: Jan 31, 2019 08:29:00 am

He wasn't 100% - but still did manage to do some kind of kung fu kick to clear it when Firmino tried to score an own goal.

With more defenders available he probably wouldn't have been rushed back for last night.

However, like Scottbot says, he's got a huge amount of credit in the bank.  He's the primary reason we're top of the league IMO.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #702: Jan 31, 2019 08:58:28 am
      The main issue was United fan Atkinson with horrendous decisions. It was clear red card and penalty and we would win again with not so good performance.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #703: Jan 31, 2019 09:32:03 am
      I blame the snow and the ground's men  :f_whistle:

I'd rather one point than no point

Shithouse team Leicester, always have been, can't stand them !!
      But they came with a game plan, and it worked.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #704: Jan 31, 2019 09:32:30 am
      good point in the end.

Ref done a job.

Rubbish weather.

Makeshift right back.

etc.

5 points clear. :-)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #705: Jan 31, 2019 10:02:10 am

I wouldn't go that far mate.

However I was going to post that it wasn't his normal imperious display and accepting that he had been ill.

Maguire blind sided him a few times at the far post... and yes they got the goal.

We got a point.  Missed out on a clear penalty .

Increased our lead and now City have the Spuds breathing down their neck behind by 2 points.
      Pressure pressure.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #706: Jan 31, 2019 10:09:03 am
      Here's some stats....
      ...We are top of the league ..
      ...City are not....
      ...City lost in their midweek clash....
      ....we didn't...
      ....we had a 4point gap ahead of City...
      ....it is now 5...
      ....City WILL drop more points....
      ....than we will....
      .... We have a commanding lead...
      ..... City are more or less fu**ed
      .... We are Not...
      .....Gary Neville is a kunt....
      ....Carra isn't....
      .....We Are Going to Win the league...
      .....We Will be Champions....
      .....And City can F**k off.
      .......THE END !!

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #707: Jan 31, 2019 10:58:42 am
      Not looking for excuses but the pitch condition never helped, some passses were very short & we never had that quick fluid attack about us..

FairPlay to Leicester, sat deep & got us on the counter...

Maguire the scorer should have seen red, Kieta denied a clear pen...it happens..

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #708: Jan 31, 2019 11:23:11 am
      All in all that was a good result. The second i saw the pitch i knew this was going to be a scrappy game. Every pass was followed with a spray of snow and slush, the ball sticking at every opportunity. Difficult conditions and a mish-mash side were never going to be the recipe for a free flowing game of football. I thought both teams tried to play good football but the conditions would not allow it.

Leicester were happy to play on the break and i thought Mendy was outstanding for them. We had our chances and so did they. Definite penalty for me regarding Keita, bad refereeing but what's new? They could have won it and so could we.

Bearing in mind we were missing half of our defence again this was a good result. Can't really comment on the performance as the pitch conditions were atrocious. Nothing we can do about that. MOTM was Mane, looked like he had been snorting angel dust prior to kick off, didn't stop.

As mentioned last night, these lads have beaten City and Chelsea already this Season.

Don't see what all the fuss is about, potential banana skin avoided.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #709: Jan 31, 2019 11:34:21 am
      January has been a bit of a flat month after a hectic December.  We haven't been great but have come out of it with a 5 point cushion at the top.  Yes, it could've been better, but it could've been worse.

Just take Feb as a fresh start, get back to winning ways against WHam and keep laying down a marker.

We've hopefully got a couple of key players coming back from injury this month to bolster the first team.

It's there for the taking, our boys have just got to grab it with both hands.

COYR!!!

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #710: Jan 31, 2019 11:38:39 am
      I appreciate this and I hold no ill feelings towards him because of this specific performance. Just surprised no one mentioned it, as it stood out for me.

To be honest there was only one player playing well last night and that was Mane and to a slightly lesser extent Matip, the rest were all below par.
      Warm weather training, my arse, it makes no sense to me, especially when they return to play in the snow! With an 11 day gap we should have stayed at home and even set up a friendly match maybe to keep some sharpness in the team.
      Anyway its in the past and we cannot expect t win every game, on reflection I'm actually quite happy with a point as we were the worse team after 20 mins, crucial we get back into our groove quickly and I think returning defenders will help a lot, plus please lets splash some cash on an extra attacker now, it could make the difference by the end of the season. Sturridge is just getting worse and worse.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #711: Jan 31, 2019 11:43:15 am
      Warm weather training, my arse, it makes no sense to me, especially when they return to play in the snow! With an 11 day gap we should have stayed at home and even set up a friendly match maybe to keep some sharpness in the team.

I am fairly certain they would have worked hard whilst they were away and I've no doubt Klopp was also trying to facilitate the cohesiveness amongst the squad that will be needed in the coming months if the lads are to bring home the title by spending a week together abroad. I think it was a good thing to do.   
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #712: Jan 31, 2019 11:49:42 am
      To be honest there was only one player playing well last night and that was Mane and to a slightly lesser extent Matip, the rest were all below par.
      Anyway its in the past and we cannot expect t win every game, on reflection I'm actually quite happy with a point as we were the worse team after 20 mins, crucial we get back into our groove quickly and I think returning defenders will help a lot, plus please lets splash some cash on an extra attacker now, it could make the difference by the end of the season. Sturridge is just getting worse and worse.

It just goes to show how badly we performed last night when Matip is getting a mention as one of our top performers. Just bad conditions.

We desperately need another attacker but i don't think the January window offers any real value, just problem players and feet stampers. I know we signed van Dijk in January but that followed a rebuke from Southampton in the previous Summer.

Once we get Arnold and Gomez back this will all go away. That and the terrible winter conditions.

Quick Reply