Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Costly Draws - lesson from 2009

Read 6144 times
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 286 posts | 28 
      Costly Draws - lesson from 2009
      Feb 06, 2019 05:18:06 pm
      Don't attach too much importance to us having lost only one PL match this season, compared to City's four defeats. I mean, if we'd beaten either Leicester or West Ham and lost to the other, we'd have taken 3 points rather than 2 from that pair of fixtures.

I'm reminded of ten years ago, when we finished 2nd to Man United, despite beating them twice (2-1 at home, 4-1 away). They lost four times in the PL compared to our two. But they won three matches more than us (28 to 25), and drew five matches fewer (6 to our 11).

We came up short by four points (86 to 90). If just two of our 11 draws had been wins, we'd have pipped them on goal difference.

The 11 draws were against Villa (home 0-0), Stoke (home and away, both 0-0), Fulham (home 0-0), West Ham (home 0-0), Hull City (home 2-2), Arsenal (away 1-1 and home 4-4), Everton (home 1-1), Wigan (away 1-1) and Man City (home 1-1).

Spurs haven't drawn a single match in the PL this season, which must be some kind of record (19 wins, 6 defeats).

This season we've had 5 draws and 1 defeat. City have 2 draws and 4 defeats.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Costly Draws - lesson from 2009
      Reply #1: Feb 06, 2019 06:34:35 pm
      So what’s the actual point here? 5 draws and 1 defeat at this stage of the season is way way more than what anyone would have expected before the season starts.

We are going to stop points along the way but we aren’t ever playing for draws, that isn’t our style. We always play for the 3 points and will occasionally come up short, so what exactly are you proposing changes?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Feb 06, 2019 08:02:34 pm
      Were always going to drop points. Its the manner in which they are being dropped.

Handed a lead with city losing at Newcastle!! We then draw to 2 mid table teams with 2 very very preventable goals

Injuries not helping: We released 4 players was it then told ourselves our squad was top notch and we only released players who played 3 hours between them.. 2 injuries later.....

Refusal to make a signing in the window to kick on from the great position we were in

Just not playing wel....this happens

Combo of all the above has seen a nice lead blown. But with all that said we could remain 3 points or 2 ahead tonight at worst 2nd on hoal difference with a game in hand. So effectively from Saturday to the last day we just have to match or better whatever city or spurs do in the same period.....can that be done...100%. Will it be done???
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #3: May 05, 2019 11:59:27 pm
      Compared to 2009, we have after 37 games:

5 more wins, 4 less draws, 1 less loss, 13  more goals, 11 more points, and the league goes to the final day.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: May 06, 2019 12:54:38 am
      If just two of our 11 draws had been wins, we'd have pipped them on goal difference.

Aunt.

Balls.

Uncle.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: May 06, 2019 12:55:59 am
      Lots of is and buts. we are where we are, just need City to drop one more bunch of points, that's not too much to ask for now is it?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #6: May 06, 2019 01:33:15 am
      does it actually make people feel smart to point out such obvious things? "if we got a win instead of a draw we would have 2 more points" well done mate
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #7: May 06, 2019 01:53:31 am
      If City hadn't blown a bunch of winnable (even drawable) games they'd have the title won already.

If Mahrez hadn't sent his penalty into the Mersey (I've been to Liverpool and do know the distance, I still very much mean this literally) then they'd likely have it won already.

We are where we are because football is F***ing mad. We are now in rare air as one of the best teams in PL history and may not win it.

Football. Is. F***ing. Mad.

I used to go back and look at those results that make you go "fuuuuuuuucccckkkk" but you'll send yourself nuts doing it. The overall context of this season is we're an amazing team just unlucky enough to be F***ing amazing at the same time as another team. But maybe we got here because we stepped up to the plate to try and match this City team where all other squads in the Premier League didn't have the bottle to have a crack.

Have I mentioned yet... football is F***ing mad.

After the 38 games are done and dusted for all teams, we'll evaluate. Until then, this is bollocks. After that, any notion of us being bottlers because of a couple draws will also be bollocks.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: May 06, 2019 01:54:44 am
      does it actually make people feel smart to point out such obvious things? "if we got a win instead of a draw we would have 2 more points" well done mate

Very Michael Owen isn't it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #9: May 06, 2019 02:28:20 am

Hahhaha yep he is Captain Obvious isn't he?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #10: May 06, 2019 08:28:44 am
      To be frank, fair play to City not dropping any points since Jan.

I know a couple of people on here thought they would drop points since their last defeat at Newcastle.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: May 06, 2019 08:56:47 am
      None of ours draws were disasters, they were all against teams who played well while we had slightly off days, the only one that bugs me is the draw to Man Utd when they lost half their team and had Rashford limping around the pitch. We should have gone into full battle mode in that game and attacked relentlessly but for whatever reason we became very passive as if we had already decided to play tight that game and couldn't manage to get out of that mindset. This wasn't helped by having big defensive issues at that time and if I recall our midfield was also set up very negative in that game, which changed afterwards for the remaining games.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #12: May 06, 2019 10:59:24 am
      To be frank, fair play to City not dropping any points since Jan.

I know a couple of people on here thought they would drop points since their last defeat at Newcastle.

I thought they would. No one is perfect and they cannot be winning till eternity. Fair play they haven’t, but one day they will. God knows when. Maybe they’ll only drop their first point in 2020/21 season?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #13: May 06, 2019 12:04:20 pm
      We are where we are because of every game played this year, as we where back in 2009.

If, we went all out for the win we could of very easily got caught out at the back and instead of having seven draws had seven defeats in their place and be sitting five points behind City. But we're not, we're sitting top of the F***ing table with just one game to go.

We can all look back at certain games and say that's where we lost the League. To this day Steven Gerrard is reminded his slip against Chelsea lost us the League. But a League campaign is 38 games long. Defeats to Southampton and Hull or dropped points to Newcastle, Swansea and Villa didn't exactly help. Or Kolo Toure's suicide pass against West Brom in the one all draw at the Hawthorns. 38 games make up a League season and we finish where we finish because of all 38.

Complaining about the draw with West Ham is laughable as well. Should we be beating West Ham away from home on paper? Yeah we probably should be. But football isn't played on paper. We got out of that game with a blatantly offside goal. If City draw tonight with Leicester and we both win our final game of the season then we will the League by one point. Just how vital will that draw against West Ham be then? A game we didn't deserve a point from but we got one. The last minute equaliser against Chelsea to earn a draw, the missed pen by Mahrez in the last few minutes against City, the clearance off the line by Trent against Everton at Goodison. Every game and every result has got us to this position. Not one game has cost us the League, not one game has won the League. It's all 38 that dictate and determine where we'll finish.

And F**k me, I'm praying we finish top.
      +10
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14: May 06, 2019 07:40:41 pm
      It was the draws after the defeat to City that cost us
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: May 06, 2019 07:42:59 pm
      It was the draws after the defeat to City that cost us

You could just as easily say it was the H2H against Man City that cost us.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #16: May 06, 2019 10:08:34 pm
      ;D m8 we've drawn 7 and lost 1 game all season with 94 points. If we're gonna sit here and nitpick about draws fans have lost the plot.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2019 10:42:51 pm
      ;D m8 we've drawn 7 and lost 1 game all season with 94 points. If we're gonna sit here and nitpick about draws fans have lost the plot.

I bet you the letting Clyne go and playing Hendo at RB will definitely come up again. It's going to do my head in.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #18: May 06, 2019 10:45:01 pm
      If your first your first,if your second your nothing ,here,s hoping  cite are nothing after Sunday BELIEVE
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: May 06, 2019 11:12:42 pm

Essentially it was. Anything other than a win for City in that game, then as things currently stand, we’d have been in pole position. We lost 1 game until now and that one game is to the team above us. I have no doubts that’s where it was lost.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #20: May 06, 2019 11:27:43 pm
      There is one more glimmer of hope on Saturday but it is gut wrenching to think that it was there, we had it, in our hands for us to lose....and lost it.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #21: May 07, 2019 12:33:23 am
      nothing cost us. weve been incredible. which makes this all the more painful.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #22: May 07, 2019 01:32:11 am

Yep Sadios ball doesn't cross the line, Mo doesn't tap it in, keeper gets a hand to it, goes through Mo's legs and then Sane's shot goes in off both posts.

That's when I thought the Footballing God is against us!

Quick Reply