Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [Premier League] Sat 24th Aug @ 5:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of August and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D6 L2

The title race: Call it

Read 12209 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,659 posts | 3253 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #100: Feb 10, 2019 10:50:32 pm
      This Title race is so consuming.

I think about it literally 24/7. Can't get all the permutations out of my head. Yet my motto all Season has been, take 1 game at a time.

Just can't help thinking of the scenario that we only have to get 1 point against wolves at home , on the final day of the Season, to be crowned Champions and Wolves just won't make it easy for us but Mo pops up with the Title winner in injury time to send us into delirium.

I'm hoping my negativity will be demolished after we go to Old Trafford and steal all 3 points!!!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,845 posts | 391 
      Reply #101: Feb 10, 2019 11:38:59 pm
      This Title race is so consuming.

I think about it literally 24/7. Can't get all the permutations out of my head. Yet my motto all Season has been, take 1 game at a time.

Just can't help thinking of the scenario that we only have to get 1 point against wolves at home , on the final day of the Season, to be crowned Champions and Wolves just won't make it easy for us but Mo pops up with the Title winner in injury time to send us into delirium.

I'm hoping my negativity will be demolished after we go to Old Trafford and steal all 3 points!!!

Only 2 league games to be played in February. City play their next league game at home V West Ham on 27th Feb.We play Watford at home on the same Wednesday night. We play our game in hand against United on the Sunday 24th.

Bayern Munich will be out of the way by then. All to play for.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,659 posts | 3253 
      Reply #102: Feb 10, 2019 11:54:58 pm
      Only 2 league games to be played in February. City play their next league game at home V West Ham on 27th Feb.We play Watford at home on the same Wednesday night. We play our game in hand against United on the Sunday 24th.

Bayern Munich will be out of the way by then. All to play for.

Oh I know it's all to play for mate.

Squeaky arse time till May finishes.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,845 posts | 391 
      Reply #103: Feb 11, 2019 12:02:46 am
      Oh I know it's all to play for mate.

Squeaky arse time till May finishes.

We have to expect their form to hold up. They left Sterling and DeBruyne out for the Everton game, such is the strength of their squad. Dropping 4 points from our last 3 games can't happen again. I'd say we are clear 2nd favourites. The spirit in the squad is there, we are up for the fight. To close to call mate.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,659 posts | 3253 
      Reply #104: Feb 11, 2019 12:16:52 am
      We have to expect their form to hold up. They left Sterling and DeBruyne out for the Everton game, such is the strength of their squad. Dropping 4 points from our last 3 games can't happen again. I'd say we are clear 2nd favourites. The spirit in the squad is there, we are up for the fight. To close to call mate.

Too close to call mate but my mind just keeps saying, we will win by a Point on the last day of The Season.

Not sure my heart can take much more, especially if that scenario plays out.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #105: Feb 11, 2019 01:53:56 am

Mate, it's our title to lose. On an equal games basis we're three points ahead of City. If we equal their results we finish the season three points ahead of City. But that also means we can drop two points and still win the title. If we throw away such an advantage then City deserve to win and our lot deserve to hang their heads in shame. Like I said, right now it's ours to lose.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,326 posts | 382 
      Reply #106: Feb 11, 2019 05:36:47 am
      Yep - nothing shouts louder that Chelsea are in crisis than a 6-0 pumping 2 weeks after losing 4-0 to Bournemouth.

Don’t let City in your head mate.

I learned really early on when I boxed not to let what the other guy did when he’s not fighting you affect you.

They don’t hurt us by beating a sh*t Chelsea. Not even on goal difference because that only counts if points are level.

S’all good.

Those 4 losses are also a big statement. They would be wishing for even 2 of them to be draws. We drew 2 games when we were plagued with injuries, all in while they lost 1. Did anyone seriously thought they would lose to Newcastle or Crystal Palace of all teams?

I remember back in November when they were unbeatable, and then suddenly, boom, 3 losses in a month.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,347 posts | 1771 
      Reply #107: Feb 11, 2019 07:39:13 am
      If my memory is not playing games I seem to recall us winning the old first division title on the last match of the season in 1947.So irrespective of what City do they better not try and claim the league title till we have kicked the last ball of the season. :kop5cf8koxp6: I have very fond memories of 1947 as it was the first year my Dad took me to Anfield.
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2019 09:17:47 am by JD »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,469 posts | 372 
      Reply #108: Feb 11, 2019 09:13:31 am
      If my memory is not playing games I seem to recall us winning the old first division title on the last match of the season in 1947.So irrespective of what City do they better not try and claim the league title till we have kicked the last ball of the season. :kop5cf8koxp6:I have very fond memories of 1947 as it was the first year my Dad took me to Anfield.

1947..!!

Blimey Billy you have seen it all then....!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,161 posts | 1984 
      Reply #109: Feb 11, 2019 09:17:28 am
      Your predictions went well. City willnot drop anymore points. I can't see to who. United will roll over for them. Spurs battered but still ek out win thanks to son ffs

Could you see Citeh losing to Newcastle, Palace or Leicester?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,696 posts | 4198 
      Reply #110: Feb 11, 2019 09:18:18 am
      If my memory is not playing games I seem to recall us winning the old first division title on the last match of the season in 1947.

The original 'five times'!

Brilliant.

Edit: Just being reading about it and we won the league by a point over Man Utd but if it had been 3 points for a win back then we would have won it by 4 points. 
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2019 09:26:53 am by JD »
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,519 posts | 270 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #111: Feb 11, 2019 09:23:16 am
      City had a tricky period on paper in the last week but realistically they beat three very poor sides.

The games where I see them dropping points are away to the likes of Bournemouth, Palace and obviously United.

They also have to play Leicester at home who are good against the big sides and Spurs like ourselves.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,161 posts | 1984 
      Reply #112: Feb 11, 2019 09:31:04 am
      The match against Manure is absolutely huge, if we can at least get a draw out of that one then I think we will be back in pole position as I fancy us to beat Spurs and Chelsea at home. The bitters could be tricky but they really are sh*te at the moment so we have to be winning that one. Our other games are all winnable if we play well.
      Remember that Citeh have to go to both Bournemouth and Palace away which are never easy grounds plus they also have Manure away, which despite all the bullshit will be a hugely competitive game and is one they tend to lose, if memory serves.

I also think that Citeh will become distracted by the Champions League so I hope they progress to the final of that and then lose to us ;-)
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,161 posts | 1984 
      Reply #113: Feb 11, 2019 09:33:46 am
      City had a tricky period on paper in the last week but realistically they beat three very poor sides.

The games where I see them dropping points are away to the likes of Bournemouth, Palace and obviously United.

They also have to play Leicester at home who are good against the big sides and Spurs like ourselves.

I agree, Citeh have some tricky fixtures coming up and whilst Chelsea and Arsenal sound daunting, Citeh could not have picked a better time to play them both as they are both in a slump. Against Everton Citeh actually struggled a little bit and I think that is the better measure of them as Everton are very poor right now.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,744 posts | 256 
      Reply #114: Feb 11, 2019 10:14:01 am
      It's quite simple in my eyes. We MUST win all our games to become champions. Can we win all our games? May be but the Scum will make damn sure that frustrate us. Neverton will raise their game (and also kick some of our players into the ground) against us unlike showing their backside to City. Who knows which Chelsea will turn up against us.

As far as I am concerned, all the remaining teams to play Man City (including the Scum) will drop their shorts and turn around. It seems they all want City to win.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,632 posts | 3058 
      Reply #115: Feb 11, 2019 12:57:59 pm
      The match against Manure is absolutely huge, if we can at least get a draw out of that one then I think we will be back in pole position as I fancy us to beat Spurs and Chelsea at home. The bitters could be tricky but they really are sh*te at the moment so we have to be winning that one. Our other games are all winnable if we play well.
      Remember that Citeh have to go to both Bournemouth and Palace away which are never easy grounds plus they also have Manure away, which despite all the bullshit will be a hugely competitive game and is one they tend to lose, if memory serves.

I also think that Citeh will become distracted by the Champions League so I hope they progress to the final of that and then lose to us ;-)

Yeah as long as we get something from the Utd game I think we will be fine.
      Another factor with City that can not be ignored is they are stil in the two Cups and CL, anc fatigue towards the end of the season can not be ruled out.

In fact a good kicking on the cow patch on the weekend for City would be a good start.

I also think we will see more agressive pressing from our us, I think Klopp has purposely been holding back so we have enough fuel in the tank for the run in.

Do I think we can do it of course, do I expect us to win it in a two horse race No.
      Bit stupid to expect to win in a 50:50 race!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,517 posts | 1225 
      Reply #116: Feb 11, 2019 02:17:23 pm
      Hopefully City get caught up in the log jam of so many games in so many tournaments. Problem with that is they have 2 top standard players for every position plus change and also that is a lovely position for them to be in and something to be strived for.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,417 posts | 344 
      Reply #117: Feb 11, 2019 02:38:09 pm

I disagree, at least for the upcoming round where they get to play Shalke, currently sitting 14th in the Bundesliga. It really could not get any easier for them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,550 posts | 494 
      Reply #118: Feb 11, 2019 02:48:10 pm
      Quote from CT_LFC
      I disagree, at least for the upcoming round where they get to play Shalke, currently sitting 14th in the Bundesliga. It really could not get any easier for them.

I think facing Schalke is a step up from facing Palace and Newcastle, but we'll see soon enough.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,932 posts | 1837 
      Reply #119: Feb 11, 2019 02:49:11 pm
      We MUST win all our games to become champions.

No we mustn't.

11 wins and a draw and we still win the League.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,932 posts | 1837 
      Reply #120: Feb 11, 2019 02:55:06 pm
      City's results don't matter as long as we win.

Do our job, the League is ours.

City can win their remaining 11 games 100 nil. We can scrape our way to 11 1-0 wins, each coming from an own goal by the opposition keeper and then struggle to a goalless draw with Wolves on the final day and guess what, we still win the League.

Wondering where and when they may drop points is pointless (if you pardon the pun) because it's in our hands, not theirs. It's Liverpool's to lose. The only team who can stop us now is us. I reiterate, if we do our job then we win the League regardless of how City get on between now and the end of the season.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,417 posts | 344 
      Reply #121: Feb 11, 2019 02:57:00 pm
      I think facing Schalke is a step up from facing Palace and Newcastle, but we'll see soon enough.

Possibly, but City are deep up front so they can rotate and not have much drop in quality while resting key players for the league. With Shalke also being less than 10 points from relegation i imagine their focus is on the league and not the CL so i think overall it's a very easy draw for City that should not command much of their attention. That will certainly change next round but it gives them until early April to not have to really focus on CL.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,609 posts | 1263 
      Reply #122: Feb 11, 2019 02:58:24 pm
      Every game is a cup final now we must be ruthless.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,307 posts | 3357 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #123: Feb 11, 2019 03:09:20 pm
      If the comments on this tweet are to be believed and our record after mid season warm weather camps of late are that bad then this is a little bit of a concern for me.

I'm on the ale on a train with an in and out signal so can't really check

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1094973831217930245?s=19
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,550 posts | 494 
      Reply #124: Feb 11, 2019 03:09:33 pm
      Quote from CT_LFC
      Possibly, but City are deep up front so they can rotate and not have much drop in quality while resting key players for the league. With Shalke also being less than 10 points from relegation i imagine their focus is on the league and not the CL so i think overall it's a very easy draw for City that should not command much of their attention. That will certainly change next round but it gives them until early April to not have to really focus on CL.

Gelsenkirchen is a tough intimidating place to go, and German sides are no mugs. They struggled to deal with Hoffenheim this season.

City should have enough to win in the end, but their records against supposedly weaker sides this year, means they can't take it for granted beforehand.

Quick Reply